Budget Birthday surprise for 16th birthday?

Jajone

DIS Veteran
I am taking DD and her 3 friends for her 16th birthday. We are on a tight budget but I'd like to do something a little special for her birthday as a surprise. Any ideas? No tours, etc. I'm thinking pixie dust type of things.

Make certain to get the birthday pin and make notes on any reservations. Sometimes, she may get something a little extra for wearing the pin.

Would she wear/appreciate a tiara (bring from home)? send them to the pool and decorate the room (again stuff brought from home) even doing the windows/door on the inside.
Assuming this isn't her first trip, could you make a then and now book (pictures of her at a younger time, same pose, character now)

check out the cake chatter thread on the restaurants board and surprise her with a cake. If you look around, you can get a really cute one for not really expensive.

Just read this on another board today. Pinocchio Village Haus has a wishes book.

You turn left to the Jiminy Cricket room and the book is below the Blue Angel. You need to bring your own pen to write your wish in the book, but it seems such a cute think to do.

You may wish to consider taking the girls to the Harmony Barbers to have their hair done. For $5.00 each, they can have their hair put in either one or two ponytails, then have their hair sprinkled with glitter and confetti. The staff are wonderful and extremely attentive. My children are younger but they loved it so much they went twice on vacation.

They could also have their hair sprinkled with pixie dust for free at the clothes shop next to the castle.

I hope your daughter has a wonderful trip.

you could make them custom tank tops. get white tanks from old Navy or target or even Walmart and print your design of photo transfer paper. Maybe have the front say something like "Kesley's Sweet Sixteen Posse" or whatever , and then have each girl'a name on the back of her shirt?

Or bring Glow necklaces and bracelets to give them at night. I would have loved that at 16 (heck, I love that at 31)

A Disney photo frame to put their Splash mountain photo in.

Bring some supplies to let them decorate their magic bands (Google how to do- most people do temporary tattoos, nail polish, glitter polish, fake jewels, etc)

Along the lines of a t-shirt, buy some cheap canvas bags in her favorite color and make custom trip bags for the girls. to use.

Decorating the room would be a nice touch too. A few helium balloons, a sign in the window that says " Yournamehere'a party palace" Or So and so's Magical Sweet 16 Suite"

Something else that felt special when I was a teen was getting to go to a restaurant and order "drinks" (virgin daquiris) and dessert. My friends and I felt very adult doing that. if that's beyond your budget, you could get sparkling grape juice and cheap plastic wine glasses, order a cake or cupcakes from the local publix, and let the kids have a toast over birthdaycake

These are all great ideas! Was just thinking the barbershop would be a fun idea. Also love the idea of toasting over cake. We have an offsite townhouse, so we could easily decorate. Never knew about the wishes book. Planning to add that too! They will have glow sticks and are planning to Disneybound. We delivered a box to each friend this weekend full of vacation goodies. Anyone know the best place to get some small cheap tiaras?

I ordered rhinestone tiaras off eBay last summer for like $7 a piece. they are the small kind with just a little hair come, you need hairpins to hold it in, but they look great. Just search for bridal tiara

Do you have a Charming Charlie's near you or an Icing? These would be nicer quality and a keepsake she could have for years.

"sweet" 16

Instead if the grown up drinks around the world, do sweets around the world or some equivilant. Sweets can be shared and don't have to be individual servings. If you are on dining plan, this would be a nice way to burn snack credits.

If she is game, have her wear a sash or banned that says Sweet 16 or equivilant. You can also have her wear a tiara or her favorite character or mouse ears hat.

Have her pick the park of her choice and the fast passes for that day. (We do this for 10th birthdays and recently a younger birthday.)

For dinner, my teen would love a place like California Grill. If that were in budget as it isn't cheap. But you could always go just for desserts to conclude a "sweet" 16.

I ordered rhinestone tiaras off eBay last summer for like $7 a piece. they are the small kind with just a little hair come, you need hairpins to hold it in, but they look great. Just search for bridal tiara

I did this for dd 16th, but now have seen the same thing for less in Clare's at the Mall. We had a late lunch at the Princesses in Norway, where Belle greets and she had a nice time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter