Brother Bear: Lying Reviews and The Lying Liars who Write Them

Saw Brother Bear and thought it was OK, but not great. I actually liked Groove and Treasure Plannet better personally, but I guess I'm just wierd. I wasn't overly impressed with Lion King when it first came out either, so what do I know. :rolleyes:

Without getting into details, the base salary of an Animator went up really high when a certain midget decided to start competing with a certain ogre.
Traditional Animation also requires more Animators with more specialized skill then computer animation (not that computer animation doesn't require skill.)

So, you have a larger cost to make Traditionally animated films which of course means that each film needs to make more money to make a profit.

Now, wih Dreamworks basically saying, goodbye to traditional animation, its possible that salaries for Animators will drop like tech salaries have been, thus making it easier to make a lower budget high quality movie, but that certainly would not apply to Brother Bear

Originally posted by Evil Princess
You are correct, 3D animation would be something like It's Tough to be a Bug. And I agree with you, "3D" animation like Toy Story should not be called that, it is 2D animation that is computer generated and very realistic.

Just wanted to comment that even Pixar does not strive for perfect realism. As a matter of fact, on the Nemo 'making of' presentation on the DVD, the director, Andrew Stanton, commented that some tests were making the ocean too realistic. They wanted a more colorful, lively, 'sanitized' reef. They also added a progression of darkness and changing color in the water throughout the movie to help advance the mood of the plot.

Anyway, just wanted to point out that the animation is more about the art and the story-telling than reproducing reality. The appeal of animation is that it takes us away from the limitations of reality!

Many thanks to all of you who gave a "heads up" to stay through the end of the credits. We were the only people to do so, and we really enjoyed Koda's last words.

We just returned from seeing the film, and I enjoyed it much more than I expected to. I guess I'm learning not to listen to reviewers when it comes to traditional animation. It seems as though most of them just don't appreciate traditional animation anymore.

This certainly wasn't the best Disney animated feature I've seen, but it was definitely worth seeing. My kids (ages 9 & 12) really enjoyed it.

Originally posted by Mouse Ears
Just wanted to comment that even Pixar does not strive for perfect realism. As a matter of fact, on the Nemo 'making of' presentation on the DVD, the director, Andrew Stanton, commented that some tests were making the ocean too realistic. They wanted a more colorful, lively, 'sanitized' reef. They also added a progression of darkness and changing color in the water throughout the movie to help advance the mood of the plot.

Anyway, just wanted to point out that the animation is more about the art and the story-telling than reproducing reality. The appeal of animation is that it takes us away from the limitations of reality!

I said that computer animation was "very realistic", not pure realism. I completely agree with you :) It is still animated and is very much stylized, but in general looks more realistic than traditional animation.

HB2K--That moose thing, that was a JOKE.

What makes it funny? Would it be just as funny if the moose said "It's just like Emporer's New Groove...only with different characters...and a different story..."?

Personally I don't think it was some ad-lib that Rick Moranis did. It was a carefully placed product mention...and quite frankly it worked. Disney didn't want people associating Bear with JB2, they wanted it associated with the Lion Kings, et al. And to a large extent it seems like it worked...based on the Box Office.

I went to Brother Bear after work yesterday and was VERY impressed. It was visually stunning! I also really like Treasure Planet but thought that the timing of its release wasn't very good........Phil Collins music is beautiful. I saw little to remind me of Lion King.

To be honest I enjoyed Brother Bear as well...and I didn't see a whole lot that made me think "It's Lion King in a different wrapper". I thought the movie was for the most part original and the part about how the two bears were tied together was a shock to me.

The one thing that hits me is the names of the characters. We all know Koda since his name was prominent in the advertising and they renforced it in that scene...but for the life of me I can't remember any of the other characters names!

I haven't even seen the thing, but I know:

Kenai--main character
Sitka--Kenai's slain brother
Rut and Tuke--moose

I saw it last Saturday and thought it was great. It was an orginal story in my mind. It is about redemption but also about revenge(an eye for an eye), which I do not recall being dealt with before, or at least now so dirrectly as this. The middle brother so consumed with rage changes they way he thinks. I just lost a sister in law in a tragic car accident involving a DUI in Sept. I felt really strongly about this and this movie touched me deeply. She was also a native american from Idaho. I bought the soundtrack the week before and listened to it. The songs are great. All made specifically made for the movie unlike Tarzan. I have always like Phil Collins and Genisis. I am still listening to the songs 2 weeks later. I think we all think and feel differently and some of us are more pesimistic about things. Depending on your life experiences is how you receive and perceive a movie. Some movies touch you more than others. This is a great movie. We were lucky enough to see parts of it made at WDW. I like to listen to what other think about things, but ultimately decide for myself what is worthy. I recommend this movie to who ever will listen. Disney has a had a great year. Creatively and financally Probably the best ever. I always look forward new releases.

I saw it last Saturday and thought it was great. It was an orginal story in my mind. It is about redemption but also about revenge(an eye for an eye), which I do not recall being dealt with before, or at least not so dirrectly as this. The middle brother so consumed with rage changes they way he thinks. I just lost a sister-in-law in a tragic car accident involving a DUI in Sept. I felt really strongly about this and this movie touched me deeply. She was also a native american from Idaho. I bought the soundtrack the week before and listened to it. The songs are great. All made specifically made for the movie unlike Tarzan. I have always liked Phil Collins and Genisis. I am still listening to the songs 2 weeks later. I think we all think and feel differently and some of us are more pesimistic about things. Depending on your life experiences is how you receive and perceive a movie. Some movies touch you more than others. This is a great movie. We were lucky enough to see parts of it made at WDW. I like to listen to what other think about things, but ultimately decide for myself what is worthy. I recommend this movie to who ever will listen. Disney has a had a great year. Creatively and financally Probably the best ever. I always look forward to new releases.

I think so. It deals with death but so has Bambi, Lion King, Finding Nemo... The music is great and is very kid friendly with Koda and the brother theme. Lots of laughs too. It is rated G.
The animation is specatcualar. I think if you go with a open mind and do not listen to the critics you will like it a LOT! Next up is "Home on the Range" which look very funny and has gotten some really talk going on about it. Animation more in the style of classic Warner Bros 1940's. Roseanne is the voice of one of the cows.

My wife and myself saw it last weekend and just loved it. BB was a great movie, sometimes I think the reviewers must have there heads on backwords or something. This was a really great movie, Disney nows how to make great movies ( well most of the time... ).

A beautiful looking movie - sterile feeling, however, and the music is not what I prefer at all.
Pocahontas moved my heart more than BB - and I give the credit to the music.

Disney needs to stop using fading pop singers and begin to once again use tried and true musical theater songwriters, who are highly sensitive to plot and character. I look forward with excitement to Alan Menken's work on Home On The Range.

That all said, as an artist I LOVED the look of the movie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter