Broken leg with cast..... Thoughts??

Matty_Disfan

Heading ba-ack...!!
Am planning for a large group family gathering; 16 people from children to Grandparents. We are in the home-stretch now except the 2nd youngest grandkid just broke her leg (fractured Tibia) and is now in a cast, full leg over the knee, but there is some chance that the cast will be swapped to one that fits only below the knee by the time we go in 3.5 weeks.

The little darling has just turned 5 and they were going to get her a stroller anyway.

Do we go for a DAS card? Is that the best option? My only concern is that she will have a hard time navigating the queue lines. She is a very happy and very precocious little soul, so we're not even considering leaving her home. She will make the most of it, but what concerns should we have and what plans can we swing into momentum now so that she gets as much magic out of it as her 7 other siblings and cousins will get?

you can get "Stroller as a wheelchair" tag, if you don't get her an actual wheelchair. Off site rentals will have child-sized wheelchairs that will be much more comfortable. Mobility issues like this do not qualify for the DAS. You can also get a special park map that shows the attractions that offer alternative entrances for wheelchairs.

Can you recommend a wheelchair provider, and do they do the whole 'drop it off at your vacation home' like Kingdom strollers?

Oh, so sorry for the little one! For a 5-yr-old, I'd recommend the "stroller as wheelchair tag." This will allow you to push the stroller through the queues, rather than parking it outside and making her walk or carrying her. If she remains in a full-leg cast, you might want to look into a wheelchair with a leg rest for support; though depending on the stroller model, some of the jogger-style have the legs more in front than hanging down below.

Wheelchair vendors are listed near the end of post #2 in the disABILITIES FAQs thread pinned near the top of this forum. You will probably need to call to find out which have a child-size chair.

It is unlikely they would give a DAS for this situation. There is more info about the DAS in the first post of the WDW - Disability Access Service thread.

Enjoy your vacation!

I am so sorry to hear about your baby girl! This happened to us, just before our last WDW vacation. DD jumped off her grandmother's porch and broke her leg and had to have surgery. She was in a cast, but made the most of it. We did get her a wheelchair. We rented a wheelchair before our vacation. It was much easier to maneuver her through the airport and on the plane. I am not sure if you are flying, but I would highly recommend looking into this. We were glad we took care of this prior to arriving so we didn't need to spend precious vacation time looking for a wheelchair - not to mention having to drop it off. Check with your local hospital, they will know where to rent child wheelchairs. I would also recommend a bright color for a cast, I was amazed at how many people almost bumped into her leg (it had to be elevated) when we were just standing there - she was in a bright blue cast. We all managed just fine, and she received a lot of attention from cast members. MK is the only park that really isn't set up for wheelchairs in queue. All of the other parks had very wide queues.

Have a wonderful vacation!!!

Am planning for a large group family gathering; 16 people from children to Grandparents. We are in the home-stretch now except the 2nd youngest grandkid just broke her leg (fractured Tibia) and is now in a cast, full leg over the knee, but there is some chance that the cast will be swapped to one that fits only below the knee by the time we go in 3.5 weeks.

The little darling has just turned 5 and they were going to get her a stroller anyway.

Do we go for a DAS card? Is that the best option? My only concern is that she will have a hard time navigating the queue lines. She is a very happy and very precocious little soul, so we're not even considering leaving her home. She will make the most of it, but what concerns should we have and what plans can we swing into momentum now so that she gets as much magic out of it as her 7 other siblings and cousins will get?

The DAS is for people that can not be in line due to a disability that is not mobile one. I would either rent a child size wheel chair for her or get a stroller as a wheel chair tag.

a stroller as a wheel chair tag will allow you to treat her stroller as a wheel chair ( just what it sounds like) you will be able to bring it into the lines with you where she can sit.

the down side to a stroller is that she will have to get out for rides and getting out might be hard for her since the strollers are homily close to the ground and just hard to get out of.

or you can talk ( her parents) to her dr let them know you are going to Disney and see what they think ( Disney will not put restrain for people with cast on as long as they can get into the ride and be in it safely) but her dr may not want her on some types of rides I would see if they have any wheel chair that would fit her better then an adult one would that you can borrow fro your time at Disney ( and flying with one is not that bad) or there might be a company in Orlando that has children wheel chair.

I would not worry about her having less fun Disney is a very magical place for ever one with all kind of problems ( and how dose not have a problem) that when at Disney kind of gose away, enjoy your trip and I do hope some pic dust goes you and your whole groups way, some times you have to look for it but I find pix dust both big and small every trip I go.

Thank you all, so much.

It's actually our neice and she is my son's best friend/cousin so they will keep each other entertained and happy!

Thank you all, so much.

It's actually our neice and she is my son's best friend/cousin so they will keep each other entertained and happy!
another vote for the "stroller as a wheelchair" tag. this will allow the stroller anywhere a wheelchair can go. this tag will be of more useful than a DAS.

All attractions are wheelchair accessible (or stroller as wheelchair) to the point of boarding.

There are very few attractions with different entrances for guests using mobility devices; almost all are at MK.
Epcot has one - Spaceship Earth. The Studio and Animal Kingdom have none.

Only thing I would add is that if she is in a full-leg cast at the time of the trip, have someone walk on either side of her to help keep her leg from being bumped into by other Guests who may not be paying attention.

I truly hope she heals swiftly and completely!

I would avoid boat rides where you need to step in with a big drop; unless, you can lift her in and out. Here too, it would be recommended to have an adult on both sides of her.

If she is still in a full leg cast, I would get a child size wheelchair for the leg support maybe try and find a rental company local to your home and bring it with you. My daughter was in a full legged cast when she 6 years old for 12 weeks and I can't see how we would have had her in a stroller because the leg support on strollers is so low and with the way the cast was bent her foot would never have reached. Also if you go with the child sized wheelchair the handles for you to push are very low, so depending on the adult pushing they may be bent over. We had gotten some pvc pipe and elbows and duck tape to make handle extenders for my daughters chair.
If she is in a short cast the city mini gt stroller is great, we rented one up until my daughter was 8 and she fit comfortably in it.

just thought are you flying? if in the full cast not sure about fitting in seats with leg straight out? is there enough room between seats. hopefully you are driving so not a worry

Ask the doctor where they plan on cutting the cast and mark it. Bring a sharpie. then get the characters to sign the cast. A very unique souvenir

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter