Britax Chaperone on a Southwest Seat

Discussion in 'Disney for Families' started by Lisa75, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Lisa75

Lisa75 Mouseketeer

Hi. Any good/bad experience with this? I plan on using it in June on SW.

Wondering about the size. Also, will I need the seat extender? And has anyone front faced it? The instructions for use without the base are for rear facing, but that would not be necessary on the plane and I don't wanna take up more space than we need to.

I appreciate any tips.

Lisa

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. GrnMtnMan

GrnMtnMan DIS Veteran

You need to check if the base is FAA approved for use on an aircraft....most baby-bucket bases are not. Therefore, I think your only option is to install it rear facing (without a base).

4. Lisa75

Lisa75 Mouseketeer

Oh I don't wanna use the base. I get what you are saying now, that without the base it only rear faces? I didn't realize this at home we use Boulevards which don't have a separate base.

I had heard that rear facing imposes on the ability of the person in front to recline back. It'll just be me and the baby so it will be someone not with us in that seat. But we will just make do! Thanks.

5. GrnMtnMan

GrnMtnMan DIS Veteran

It might limit the recline, but having a child safely secured in a familiar seat will hopefully make the flight more pleasant for everyone. I'd take limed recline and a quiet kid over full recline and a screaming one.

6. ryleigh'smom2004

ryleigh'smom2004 Earning My Ears

7. lost*in*cyberspace

lost*in*cyberspace DIS Veteran

The Britax Chaperone is 18.3 inches wide. Southwest's seats are 17 inches wide. Do you have a smaller car seat?

8. DisneyMomma81

DisneyMomma81 DIS Veteran

You use Blvds at home, do you not have a Chaperone? I wouldn't buy one just for your flights. DD's spent many car trips in Britax seats *Roundabout, Marathon and currently a Frontier. Her travel seat from 2-4 and a 1/2 was a Cosco Scenera *light, cheap, easy to use - good from 5 lbs, rear faces and forward faces. Available at Walmart, Target, KMart, Babies R Us.

9. Lisa75

Lisa75 Mouseketeer

Thanks for the numbers!! Would I be permitted to just raise the armrest that is between him and me?

10. Lisa75

Lisa75 Mouseketeer

11. lost*in*cyberspace

Armrests must be down for take-off and landing. This is not always enforced if the FAs don't notice.

12. seashoreCM

seashoreCM All around nice guy.

Is it just the upper rim that is 18.3 wide or is that the width of the main or bucket portion?

13. PrincessLiz

PrincessLiz Earning My Ears

Were you able to get the carseat to fit properly? I am trying to decide whether to take the Chaperone ( which would be easier to carry because of the stroller) or a convertible that I have previously used rear facing on a plane. Thanks for any update.

14. lost*in*cyberspace

As stated previously in this thread, WN's seats are 17 inches wide. If your car seat is wider than this, and it is, it won't fit. You will need a smaller seat.

15. PrincessLiz

Thank you for responding. I understand your logic, but it doesn't take the design of car seats into consideration.

My carseat has a handle bar, which protrudes from the main body of the carseat by over an inch on both sides, which would make the width of the carseat body under 17 inches. I believe, but am not certain, that the handle bar portion would be above the arm rests and thus the carseat would fit safely into the plane seat, which is why I asked if the OP had indeed tried it.

Otherwise, I will use my Boulevard, which I have used rear and forward facing on different flights.

16. Lisa75

Lisa75 Mouseketeer

Sorry just saw this! Seat fitted just fine with room to spare and installed quickly.

17. PrincessLiz

Thanks! One less thing to worry about :)