Bringing Some Wine on Board

PrincessMonkey

Disney Princess
I was describing the on-board Disney alcohol prices to my fiance. We are going to be on our honeymoon, and he mentioned that it would nice to celebrate our new marriage with some wine... :eek: Well, we drink on social occasions, but that's not too frequently these days, so when I heard this rare request, I remembered reading that you can bring some alcohol in a carry-on...? I had to ask for your advice. It's just the two of us, and it's a 14-day Disney cruise.

How many bottle(s) of wine, in particular, are allowed on board per person? I would bubble wrap it as needed, so it would not spoil my day's clothing. We are also traveling from Chicago, so we would have to put it in a check-in bag or buy it in Orlando on the night before the cruise.

Any advice from cruising experts that BYOBOW (bottles of wine)? We are happy with any wine, really, red or white, and although I have a penchance for Riesling (sweet is good!), we are not wine connoisseurs by ANY means! :rotfl:

PrincessMonkey

Although it's possible to bring wine in checked airline luggage, it's not a good idea. Bags are often subjected to rough handling, and even a bubble-wrapped wine bottle could break. It would be awful to start a honeymoon cruise with wine-soaked clothing. Also, consider that the wine could soak through to other passengers' luggage in the baggage hold of the airplane.

Also, consider what airlines charge for checked baggage, especially if the weight or size is excessive or if you check additional bags.

Buy the wine in Florida the night before the cruise and bring it onboard the ship as part of your carry-on luggage. DCL wants any liquids to be in carry-on luggage, not in checked luggage.

Based on what I've read on this board, there doesn't seem to be a limit to how much wine you can bring, but it should fit into a carry-on bag of some sort.

Hogue Riesling from Washington State is a decent Riesling for under $10. Pacific Rim makes Sweet Riesling and Dry Riesling, and labels them as such; the price is around $10. Australian Rieslings tend to be quite dry for Riesling. I think they're great, but if you like dry wines, you might want to avoid them.

By the way, Hogue, Pacific Rim, and most Australian Rieslings have screw tops instead of corks. A screw top does not mean an inferior wine. It just means the winery is using current packaging technology instead of a 17th century closure. A screw top is easier to open, easier to close, and eliminates the risk of spoiled wine due to a spoiled cork.

You can get wine glasses from your stateroom host or from any bar on the ship.

While it's nice to have some wine in your stateroom, order some wine in the dining rooms too. As in any restaurant it's more expensive than retail, but it's great to get wine that goes with your dinner and to have it served to you. If you don't finish a bottle, your server can store it for the next dinner.

Ditto above...no limit to how much you bring...but it must be in your carryon luggage!! I also love Reisling and I found I prefer the German ones....sweet and nice!!

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter