bringing gear into park- first trip!

Discussion in 'Photography Board' started by egrl144, Feb 11, 2013.

1. havoc315

havoc315 DIS Veteran

Yes, I was looking through my album and realized that for my most recent trip, most of my character shots were outdoors. And yes, character spot has big windows bringing in natural light.

I agree that the other locations you mentioned are much more challenging. And an external flash can be helpful. So it depends on your priority -- to me, you can still get away without any flash. And I wouldn't want to lug around an external flash for 2 or 3 pictures where it might be useful in the day. But, otoh, if you really want to capture the best possible shot with Mickey at the Town Square theater, then maybe carrying a flash is worthwhile.

As to outdoor fill flashes -- for those purposes, I'm actually ok with the pop up flash.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. boBQuincy

boBQuincy <font color=green>I am not carrying three pods<br>

These are my thoughts as well. While I do not go to many M&Gs except on our trips with children I consider an external flash a must for these. The photo opportunities come fast and without the rapid recycle time of the external flash a lot of those would be lost.

I keep the flash turned way down, sometimes as much as -1-2/3 and it is difficult to tell a flash was used (until comparing photos with and without flash). The slight amount of fill makes a BIG difference. This works for parades too (but only if we are allowed to use a flash at night).

4. photo_chick

photo_chick Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about

I get why you, and most people who swear by them, take a flash. Personally I don't take a flash and it's no where near a priority for me. I'd rather not carry it and choose to live with the shadows or less than ideal lighting. This is just another one of those questions that can have two totally different answers depending on how people like to shoot.

5. egrl144

egrl144 Earning My Ears

We have one character meal (can't remember where) and that is it. We probably won't do much waiting in line to meet characters. With so much to see on a first trip, I think that priorities will be elsewhere (no kids with us).

I understand that the flash can be very helpful, and if I had someone lugging the camera around all day, I would probably bring it, but it is just not worth the extra weight for the benefit I would get out of it.

It looks like I will bring all three lenses. Maybe some days I will travel "light" with the 18-55. And I can't bear the thought of leaving the 50mm at home. It is light and just too fun! I will bring it into the parks a day or two and leave it in the room if that works better.

6. mom2rtk

mom2rtk DIS Veteran

Looks like a good plan. With so little character action, even this flash lover would leave hers at home. :)

7. 2Tiggies

2Tiggies <font color=blue>I am subscribing to this thread j

Although I bring most of my gear to the resort, I select specifically each day what I am taking to the park and this reduces what is being carried around all day. Lenses fit quite easily into all Disney onsite room safes so there was no issue with storing it then securely in the room.

I loved using my 50 mm around the parks so for me it was a good call to have it with me and as you say, it's so small and light that you can take it with you every day without noticing any weight difference :thumbsup2 It's also amazing how light the camera feels when you're walking around with the little 50 mounted to it :)

8. DSLRuser

DSLRuser Age is a state of mind

The old saying is..."the gear you need is the gear you left behind"

Personally I bring everything. 1 body, 4 lenses, 1 flash, cards, and batteries. Everything I own in regards to my camera hobby fits in 1 back pack.

i will lighten my bag at times when i know i dont need something. Wont bring chargers, all the batteries, all the cards, lens cleaners ect ect. i leave a lot of that stuff in the hotel room.

I even have a smaller back that just fits a body and 2 lenses.

As far as the flash debate. i dont mind carrying it, so i take it. better to have it and not need it then the other way.

i preffer the look of a speed light portrait to that of a wide open indor shot or high iso indoor shot.

9. rossb

rossb Mouseketeer

I'd take your body with your 18-200 and I'd leave the rest at home. You may also want to consider bringing the 50 and the flash for shots around the resort, but I would not carry them around the parks.