Bringing booze on board from ports

jordgubben

Has a Buzz Lightyear shoot-off with her husband
I'm not even a drinker but I'm curious about this. When we cruised with Carnival last year they told us that if you bought booze while at port that you would have to check it in when you boarded the ship again and that they would hold it until the last night of the cruise. From what I was reading, it sounded like DCL doesn't do this and that you can bring the alcohol onboard with you and keep it in your cabin, does that sound right to everyone?

AS a tried and true tester of DCL last week and the liquor policy at the ports I can tell you we bought 10 liters of liquor between St. Maarten and St. Thomas and all 10 liters went up to our room with us as soon as we boarded the ship at each port. Carnival will NOT let you bring liquor on and take it to your stateroom and they do hold it for you until the last night (which I think is rather cheap) but Disney let us carry on as much as we wanted.

HTH
Heidi

That's correct.

However, if you buy bottled alcohol at the duty free shop onboard, they will keep that and deliver it to your stateroom on the last night.

Hope this helps!
Ginny

On my last 7 day cruise, we brought alcohol onboard at Port Canaveral without any problem. We did not purchase alcohol in any of the ports but if you purchase bottles of liquor on board the boat it will be delivered to the owners stateroom the last night of the cruise no matter when you purchase it. I'm sure that this is probably common practice as customs regulations only allow a certain amount of liquor to be purchased and brought home from foreign ports.

Thanks for the quick replies. Just order some orange juice from room service and we are good to go.:)

Yep and if you need tonic you can get tonic from the bars on the soda package or to purchase AND they will also give you limes if you need them...I know cause we did this several times while I was feeling ill in our cabin!:crazy:

Heidi

Just remember that you cannot take any opened bottles of liquor off the ship with you when you disembark back in Port Canaveral....so...if you open a bottle onboard you must consume the whole thing or perhaps give the remainder to your room steward!!!

MJ

Originally posted by myfairygodmother
On my last 7 day cruise, we brought alcohol onboard at Port Canaveral without any problem. We did not purchase alcohol in any of the ports but if you purchase bottles of liquor on board the boat it will be delivered to the owners stateroom the last night of the cruise no matter when you purchase it. I'm sure that this is probably common practice as customs regulations only allow a certain amount of liquor to be purchased and brought home from foreign ports.

Customs regulations let you bring in a certain amount duty free, but you can bring back pretty much as much as you want, or can carry, etc., You will have to pay duty on the last day before you leave the ship. We did it once, brought back a case of rum for a friend, never again. It was in 1989 and what a pita to carry it on the plane and haul it through the airport, etc. I think now with the stricter regulations, I wouldn't bother to try and bring in more than the "free" allowance.

My MIL said when she was on Carnival, they would leave the ship with water bottles, and refill them with clear liquor on land, then they could mix drinks in thier own room. No one checked the "water" bottles coming back on the ship. I think for Carnival it is a matter of them wanting you to only buy their alcohol.

I seem to remember that I bought a bottle of something at the liquor store on the Wonder and took it back to the room. MAtbe not. I know I did on HAL, opened it and took it off opened, but that was Alaska, different rules there, too.

mmouse--is that posted somewhere?? Because if it is we did it and must have broken a rule...RUH ROH!:teeth: We bought bottles of gin and whiskey and opened them in our cabin and didn't drink all of them so we just packed them in our daybags (so they wouldn't leak on anyone's luggage) and walked off the ship. No one asked us if were carrying opened liquor just if we had any fruits or veggies on us. Now I feel kind of bad that we did something we may not have been supposed to do......ok well the guilt just passed and I'm feeling better now! LOL:sunny:

Mickeyfan--You are correct that you can carry anything you want off you just may end up paying duty. We would have brought home twice what we did but we didn't know how much duty would cost and they ONLY take cash. We didn't want to risk it so we brought back our 5 liters each and considered ourselves lucky.

For our Carnival Sailings we brought water bottles and coke bottles off with us so that we could use the water for the clear liquor and the coke bottle for the liquor like whiskey or bourbon. No one ever said anything to us about it either nor did they check it or smell it!

Heidi

Hi-

Just wanted to be sure, DCL will not stop you from bringing wine and other drinks on board (if I carry them in my carry on)?

Randy

Heidi....I do not know if it is posted but I know we were told this on one or more of our 10 DCL cruises.....

Don't feel bad as you didn't know the rule.....

That is correct....DCL will not stop you from bringing booze onboard in either Port Canaveral or other ports during the week.

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter