Bringing Alcohol Onboard

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by Dustin, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Dustin

Dustin Video Guru

Hi everyone,

Just curious about the limits of bringing alcohol onboard the ships. I know it has to be in a soft carry on container. I'm planning on bringing a soft cooler and maybe a backpack of beer cans. I just didn't know if there was a quantity amount restricted on Disney Cruise Line. Also is there a limit on liquor bottles considering they are made of glass. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dustin

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. kuhawk88

kuhawk88 N2Wine

4. nflmom

nflmom Earning My Ears

thanks for the info!

5. linz02ag

linz02ag Earning My Ears

Is the allowable carry-on size the dimensions of a typical backpack?

6. jdb in AZ

jdb in AZ It could end up curdled

Think of an airport scanner that your carry-on has to fit through. The one on the ship is the same size.

7. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Dustin (the Dustin?)
    There is no restriction on bringing on board glass bottles of liquor. Val & I routinely bring bottles of wine with us to drink in our cabin.

You must put your alcohol in your carry-on bag for DCL. Keep in mind that means you'll be hauling it around from the time you arrive at the port until you get into your cabins at 1:30 since there is no place to leave your bags.

8. Melissa S

Melissa S DIS Veteran

Also if you are bringing a large quantity I recommend bringing the receipts with you (we did this on our 8 night) just incase you don't finish it. You can bring back 1L duty free per person.

9. ilovetexas

ilovetexas DIS Veteran

That's a good idea because we didn't even open the bottle of Crown Royal we brought; we were far too busy exploring the ship, the shore, or the insides of our eyelids!

10. MisterOJ

MisterOJ Mouseketeer

Same thing happened to me on one of my cruises, but I didn't take a receipt. I explained it to the custom's agent and she told me it wasn't a big deala nd waived me right on through.

11. kdeans1010

kdeans1010 DIS Veteran

I would double the whole "make sure you can carry it for extended time periods" sentiment. I thought I could do it, had 2 bottles of wine, thought it wouldn't be too hard. Had a nice bruise on my shoulder afterwards.

12. MisterOJ

MisterOJ Mouseketeer

Or, just get a nice small bag with wheels that you can roll around. That's what I did last time and was able to brings 4-5 bottles of wine, 3-4 bombers of craft beer and a 1.5 liter bottle of rum.

13. mmouse37

mmouse37 DCL Diva!!

Rolling bags are definitely the way to go!!!

MJ

14. LunaCup

LunaCup 1 cruise away from Gold Castaway Club Membership!

Can the rolling bag be a small carry on size suitcase or does it have to be a rolling cooler?

15. mmouse37

mmouse37 DCL Diva!!

It can be any type of suitcase or duffle bag or soft sided rolling cooler. No hard sided coolers are allowed. It just has to fit through an airport sized x-ray scanner. Also...no ice allowed in the bags.

MJ

16. LunaCup

LunaCup 1 cruise away from Gold Castaway Club Membership!

Awesome thank you for the info!! =)

17. jdb in AZ

jdb in AZ It could end up curdled

I've seen boxes of booze rolled on using the portable, collapsible luggage carts. The carts are less than $20 so I plan to get one before our next cruise to haul a week's worth of Diet Dr. Pepper onboard.

18. DVCNuts

DVCNuts Platinum At Last!

This is how we carried our bottles and Tervis cups. It fit very nicely. We used some bubble-wrap wine bottle protectors on the glass bottles, which you can see behind the cups and the Malibu. It is a rolling bag, smaller than the DCL max size. Worked great, and was easy to roll around while we waited for our stateroom to be ready.

[​IMG]

19. twopeasonepod

twopeasonepod DIS Veteran

We bring bottles of Stoli Vanil (1L instead of 750ml) and then use Diet Coke from the fountain. Perfect! Saves a ton of $. I still order cocktails at dinner, in Wavebands, etc. but getting a good start while getting ready or having a couple drinks after the boys go to sleep is much better this way! We got the DCL rolling duffles for the boys as a promo in July on the Alaska sailing and will use them as booze transport in October cruising the California Coast!

20. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

21. itzkelly

itzkelly Earning My Ears

What is the difference between how high a bag is and how deep it is? I assume the width is is from side to side.. I don't see a max on the length of a bag, so I assume duffel bags are ok?? :confused3