Bring a stroller

Discussion in 'Disney World Tips' started by chipdale74, Feb 20, 2013.

1. chipdale74

chipdale74 Mouseketeer

I have been debating and researching whether or not to bring a stroller for my dd who will be 5 when we go. I don't think she'll make it through the long days of walking so I wanted to get a reasonable umbrella stroller for kids up to 50lbs. Is it worth it? Suggestions on a stroller? I have been going between the jet and ignite. I don't want to spend a lot so I was leaning more towards the jet. Thoughts? Opinions?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Shelly F - Ohio

Shelly F - Ohio Disney Extraordinaire

I would use one. Its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I would hate to carry a tired 5 yr old around the park. If she does not need it then you have a place to carry your bag. Waiting for buses she could use it to rest while waiting. If she get tired she can sleep while you stroll around the park.

I know of a family whose youngest is 11 yet they still take the umbrella stroller to hold their bags/coats and such.

4. cookietwinmama

cookietwinmama Earning My Ears

I would definitely bring a stroller. We have 5 yr old twins and on our most recent trip in November we had a stroller which worked out great because one of my kids got sick and was getting tired quickly. When he wasn't in it, we used it for bags, backpack, etc. I don't know what we would have done without it.

We actually rented from Orlando Stroller Rentals in November 2011 and 2012. The rates were good and they drop it off and pick it up right at your resort.
    Very convenient.

5. growinupdisney

growinupdisney DIS Veteran

I have a Mac Triumph which looks similar to the ones your looking at. I'm planning on bringing on our trip in April, I know she will be fine most of the day without it but it will nice to have when she does plus we can keep backpack etc. in there. I bought a attachment to hold dring which is nice and a side sling bag to put park maps and a jacket for dd. Both were not Mac specific any stroller would work.

As long as weight capacity of the stroller fits with your daughter I would go with what your looking at

You could head to your local toysrus and have your daughter try it out and see how it feels when you push it

6. AshleeH

AshleeH DIS Veteran

When my son was 5, we went ahead and brought the stroller and used it sparingly (if we knew we were going to be out until midnight, he'd use it during the day - or if we were going to Epcot we would use it since it's so much walking). We stop any and all naps by age 2 (usually by 18 months) but he napped just about every day that he was in that stroller. He was exhausted from all the walking (and this is a kid who is very active and in extremely good shape).

I would suggest looking at one of the stroller rental companies in Orlando - they deliver it right to bell services at your hotel and pick up the stroller there after you check out. Definitely worth the money if you think you'll need it!

7. Mom24Princesses

Mom24Princesses DIS Veteran

I miss not having one. It was a great place to hang all kinds of stuff. DH would take off the heavy backpack and push the stroller with it on the "handlebars". :rotfl:

8. chipdale74

chipdale74 Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone for your advice/opinions. I think i am going to get the jet since its over $20 cheaper. She's an active child but I agree it will be a lot of walking. Plus it will be a great seat to watch the parades. She can sit when she wants to and walk when she wants to. I think it's more peace of mind for me so I don't have a cranky child who's tired of walking and a double cranky husband who will not want to carry her. :-)

9. AshleeH

AshleeH DIS Veteran

It's also great for snacks, when you can't find a table or bench to sit down - much more comfortable than bricks!

10. chipdale74

chipdale74 Mouseketeer

Good point. Only 177 days to go!

11. SashaFarce

SashaFarce Mouseketeer

We took the Jet on 2 different trips with 2 different kids ages 3/4, and both times the strollers were great. I flew in with said kid on her first trip and it was a lifesaver in the airport... in line waiting for buses... when she was tired and needed a power nap as we strolled around the park. She even slept in it during a meal at Tusker House (they waived us through since it was a slow day and we took it inside with us... we now have pictures of the characters there making sleepytime poses with her). Great stroller, and anytime I bring a kid I'm bringing my own stroller.

12. RadGirl

RadGirl i was lurking, but i'm afraid my glow gave me away

Since Im debating the same thing, I did a search on Disboards and found that a company named "Aple"(sp?) has a special promotion where they rent the stroller for free, and free drop of/pick up at your resort. For up to a week. You only pay $5/day insurance. Now, they arent umbrella type but depending on how long u r staying it might be worth it.

Sorry i dont have more info but that was this afternoon and my brain quit on me a couple of hrs ago. Just do a search, im sure you'll find it.

Good luck!

13. smithmom

smithmom Mouseketeer

The last time I went with my two boys they were 5 & 6. That stroller saved me! I brought a double stroller even though my oldest swore he would never go in it!! They BOTH used it a lot! It was a great way to bring some waters into the park and a good place to leave your bag when only one was in it too! Granted, it was not easy to haul on and off the buses or boats, but definitely worth it!! It was just me and them so I don't know how I would have done it without that stroller!

14. lindap1

lindap1 DIS Veteran

My dd will be almost 7 when we go in November this year and I'm STILL thinking about taking at least an umbrella stroller for her. There is ALOT of walking for little ones and even if she doesn't use it....it will hold things for us ;)

15. MacClemsons

MacClemsons Mouseketeer

We took kids 2, 3, 4 for first time in 2008 and rented a doubler stroller at Disney. It was $200 a week. The next year we decided to buy used Maclarens off eBay. Cost $200 for 2 strollers. We've used them many times since. Only after our oldest two hit 7&8 did we make them walk. Our 6 year old definitely still needs a stroller. Definitely recommend bringing one or renting from outside company for 5 year old.

16. gotitclean

gotitclean Earning My Ears

Disney has a Length of Stay rental for strollers and wheelchairs. With the Length of Stay rental, you make a one-time payment for as many days of rental that you will need. Upon visiting a theme park, show your receipt at the stroller/wheelchair rental location and you will be directed through the queue with little or no wait. There is a slight discount when purchasing the Length of Stay rental ticket. The Length of Stay option is NOT offered during peak attendance times, however, such as Christmas.

17. FlaNani

FlaNani Mouseketeer

ABSOLUTELY take the stroller!!! I read that you decided to take it.
    One more piece of advice....... The first thing you do when you get into the park is buy a balloon!!!! Attach it to the stroller, This will make it much easier to find it in the "stroller parking" areas! Cast members move the strollers around to make more room for others, so you will come back and your stroller will be moved.
    That balloon was the best $10 I spend the whole trip! AND when we got home, that thing lasted for about 2 months! My granddaughter played with it for a long time.

Nani

18. chipdale74

chipdale74 Mouseketeer

The balloon is a great idea!! I was reading a post awhile ago that someone said their stroller was stolen Since my dd is older I took out the straps to deter that plus I am going to add something else. Just don't know what else to do. Suggestions?

19. Miss Mo

Miss Mo DIS Veteran

Oh no! You are all now making me wonder if I should take one!! :-( My son will be 5 this week and we go in July. We were definitely not going to bring one for several reasons. He's been an amazing wee walker since he was tiny, we came to Florida when he had just turned 2 and he point blank refused to go in the stroller(we had to jump on a bus to get him to sleep then put him in it at the other end). We came again when he was 3 and he did go in it sometimes due to the novelty factor as by this point he hadn't been in one for over a year at home. But I HATE having to park the stupid thing, I hate having to fold it to get on and off Disney Buses. I hate how you end up carrying things you wouldn't otherwise bring with you then have to carry everything and a folded stroller on the buses. LOL! Plus last time someone took ours by accident and we ended up with someone else's. He really hasn't been in a stroller at home for about 3 years. Last time we often didn't take it with us if we knew were weren't going to be out more than a few hours. This time though we are probably looking at some longer days - doing Universal and IoA so will want to get everything done there rather than go for a few hours and back to hotel! Hmmm! May see how it goes and just buy a cheap one if necessary. Thought of dragging a stroller half way across the world again makes me feel quite ill. :scared1:

mo x

20. dp911

dp911 Mouseketeer

I never take one after 4 years old. I have taken all my kids Disneyland and wdw and they did fine after 4 walking. Kids need exercise and not to be pushed like babies unless it is medically necessary

21. Miss Mo

Miss Mo DIS Veteran

TBH with us I have no doubt he could do all the walking but it's the heat that worries me. The thing I have liked about the stroller on previous trips is that he napped in the shade with a fan on him whilst we had a nice cool beer somewhere! :lmao: That would be less fun with an over tired, grumpy child. We are from Scotland, the July Florida heat kills us! But we can't stop coming anyway!! :rotfl2: That said the last time we were there he did have a 2 hour nap on the seat next to me in the Rose and Crown last trip!!

mo x