Bridge to Terabithia News & Reviews

*NikkiBell*

Livin’ that DVC & AP life!
Did you all see the new movie? We are taking my fifth grade class there for a trip tomorrow being that the novel is in our curriculum. Any thoughts on the film?

We saw it yesterday (Sunday). My wife and I thought it was terrific, just about the best tween movie we've ever seen. However, our 10-year-old daughter hated it and came out of the theater furious. Here's why:
1) The commercials and trailers led her to expect a full-blown fantasy film like Lord of the Rings or The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. But it's not. It's an intimate story about a couple of rural kids who, at times, imagine a few lovely fantastic things.
2) Like Bambi and Old Yeller, it has a tragic ending. There is a lovely "redemption" at the end (no, the dead character does not reappear or come back to life), but even so the conclusion is 3-hankie.

So, misled by the trailers and unprepared for tragedy, my daughter was blindsided and as a result hated an absolutely wonderful film.

Not for nothing, but this is based on a very famous Newberry Award winning novel. I will be seeing the film tomorrow, but was distraught with the idea of making it fantasy-based when it is actually realistic fiction centering on friendship and growing up. I was surprised when the commercials heightened the fantasy elements, but am relieved that they don't dominate what is a very charming story.

Saw it yesterday. The girl that dies is so sweet and pretty. It really make it painful. It maybe a good reality thing for kids. I just wish they could have used the Disney Magic to bring her back.

I took the kids Friday night and thought it was a very good movie for a parent and kids to see together. It wasnt so kiddy that an adult wouldnt enjoy, but it wasnt far reaching for a kid either. The trailers are misleading. My DD read a review and stopped short of giving the whole thing away, so it did have a surprising turn of events. The fantasy side of things was good, but not far fetched. Just a couple of kids using their imaginations.

A wholesome movie by todays comparisons, IMO. I like the fact that they were bold enough to sing an old hymn in the movie. This gave a nice touch. Sorta reminded me of watching an Andy Griffith show. I would give it 4.5 stars outta 5.

Saw it yesterday. The girl that dies is so sweet and pretty. It really make it painful. It maybe a good reality thing for kids. I just wish they could have used the Disney Magic to bring her back.

While this would have been a sweet ending, it would not have been true to the novel which was directed by the author's own son. He also wrote the screenplay for it. Good thought though. :thumbsup2

Up until a few months ago (After he finished To Kill a Mockingbird) Bridge was my son's favorite novel. I was concerned withthe "over kill" on the fantasy part, I'm really glad they were true to the novel. I can't wait to see it very soon! Gotta love those coming of age novels that work for both girls and boys!

I had never read the novel, and the previews really turned me off. I thought it was a cheap rip off of Narnia. Then I read the reviews and asked my kids what the story was. So off we went last night. It was really good. We talked about it all evening.

I think they really blew the trailer and marketing for this film. If you weren't familiar with the book, then it did nothing to draw you in. This a very fine film, and well worth seeing with your kids. It's NOT a fantasy. It's a sensitive, moving drama with enough fantasy sprinkled in to make it interesting. It's very sad at the end due to the death of Leslie, and will generate a lot of feelings and discussion. Don't miss it.

OP, could you edit the title to state there are spoilers? Oy, I really wanted to see the movie, and now I feel like the ending has been ruined for me. Glad it has been getting good reviews, though.

I would think that a thread that says "Reviews" in the title would indicate a high likelihood of spoilers. It would be pretty lame if people just reviewed the movie by saying, "It was good," or "It was bad."

I would think that a thread that says "Reviews" in the title would indicate a high likelihood of spoilers. It would be pretty lame if people just reviewed the movie by saying, "It was good," or "It was bad."

I agree that a simple "good/bad" isn't really a review, but giving away the major plotpoint/ending is a little too much. I have read many reviews over the years of films that didn't give away the major suprise/climax in the review. I'm just saying, there might be others who DON'T want to be told the ending before they get a chance to see it for themselves. If I had known beforehand, I might not have read the thread.

No big deal- I'm just a bit disappointed. JMO.

We haven'r read the book. My kids ages 8 and 11 really enjoyed it. Have to admit I really didn't want to see it, just took them since they all did. I ended up enjoying the film as much as they did. The special effects were great.

I saw it over the past weekend. I never read the book but i thought the movie was great!

Ugh! I was hoping for a review but not to be given the ending...oh well I'll still be heading to see it this afternoon. But...ugh! =o)

My husband and I didn't know anything about the movie when we went in - we were just looking for something light, and the trailer made it look like a fantasy.

We were surprised at how different it was than we expected, but we thought it was great! I used to teach 5th grade, and I thought it was a perfect movie for girls, especially. It hits on issues that are big at that age - why kids bully, how to survive being an outsider, how you need to keep going in life, sibling issues. I just thought it was wonderful without being preachy.

Two thumbs up! Enjoy! popcorn::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!