Breakfast?Tonga Toast Questions

Belle_princess

DIS Veteran
What is the best breakfast in the "World"? (Characters or not!)

Where do I find Tonga Toast-I've heard nothing but good things about it!

Thanks! :cutie:

My family's favorite breakfast is at 'Ohana. The food was hot, fresh and wonderful! Loved every bit of our meal! Especially fresh scrambled eggs, breakfast breads, sausage and fresh fruit. Plus we enjoyed seeing the characters. :)

Tonga Toast is found next door at the Kona Cafe. :thumbsup2 OR! Down stairs at the CS - Capt. Cook's.

You can also get the Tonga Toast at the Poly's CS restaurant, Captain Cooks on the ground floor. I used to love the ham, egg, and cheese croissant at Sunshine Seasons in The Land but they took it off them menu. Then last trip I found an even better version at the bakery on Main Street in MK - to die for! Don't have time for large sit down meals at breakfast time - always on the run!

WARNING! Tonga toast is NOT what it used to be.....:mad: It used to be this sublime creation of bread&bananas. I have NO idea what happened to our old favorite,but the new version doesn't even contain eggs anymore. French toast without eggs? It has an odd,sort of artificial flavor and last trip was our last time to buy it.:scared:
I realize this may just be my opinion,but as a person who grew up with this treat...not impressed anymore.

have to put in a semi-"bad word" about Tonga Toast...we found it to be almost sickeningly sweet. To the point that 3 of us (adults) split one and could not finish more than a bite or two each. We left more than 1/2 on the plate...just over-powering sweetness. And we all have BIG sweet tooth (never turn down dessert:thumbsup2)

So my suggestion is the first time, get one, and split it.

As for the best breakfast...best buffet breakfast, hands down, is at Boma (we don't like the dinner there, but the breakfast is fab.) For non-buffet, non-character, we love the "big Kahuna" at Kona Cafe at the Poly...huge meal and the macadamia nut pancakes are awesome.

I agree with Catne...my fave for breakfast is Kona at the Poly.
Macadamia Nut Pancakes and French-Press coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:teeth:

WARNING! Tonga toast is NOT what it used to be.....:mad: It used to be this sublime creation of bread&bananas. I have NO idea what happened to our old favorite,but the new version doesn't even contain eggs anymore. French toast without eggs? It has an odd,sort of artificial flavor and last trip was our last time to buy it.:scared:
I realize this may just be my opinion,but as a person who grew up with this treat...not impressed anymore.

No!
Really?
I'm heading to WDW for a birthday trip, booked POR, with visions of breakfast dancing in my head -- onlyTHEN to find out there's no breakfast at Boatwright's --- all the time dreaming of banana-stuffed french toast. Now you tell me the Poly version has tanked in quality?

This stinks

I had the Tonga Toast in October and LOVED it. I do have a sweet tooth though. My daughter asked for the eggs, bacon platter. When she tasted my Tonga toast she asked if we could switch b-fasts.

We compromised and shared both b-fasts. I plan to make a special trip to the Poly to pick this up during our next trip.

I didn't like the Tonga Toast. I had heard such great things about it and I adore french toast and bananas so I thought it would be awesome. But it was the worst breakfast I had all week. I know bananas brown when they cook but mine were black and tasted horrible. I honestly think they were rotten and then the bread was so sweet that it was just bad.

I love the breakfast at Boma at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. No Tonga Toast, but it's wonderful. Kouzzina on the BoardWalk is a close second.

You can find the famous banana-stuffed French toast at Kona Cafe and Capt. Cook's, both at the Polynesian.

Anyone tried the breakfast at The Wave in the Contemporary, Kouzzina at the Boardwalk or The Grand Floridian Cafe? I have reservations at Kona (never had the Tonga Toast) but I am rethinking that.

We ate at Ohana's last month and I HAD to try the Tonga Toast. We did have to pay extra for it and it was not worth it. We were there with my parents and between all six of us we couldn't finish it.... too sweet.

Anyone tried the breakfast at The Wave in the Contemporary, Kouzzina at the Boardwalk or The Grand Floridian Cafe? I have reservations at Kona (never had the Tonga Toast) but I am rethinking that.

Just had breakfast at the Grand Floridian Cafe for the first time in January. It was a very good meal. I had a wonderful breakfast sandwich with feta sausage, egg, cheese, and sauteed onions on sourdough bread. Really yummy. I don't remember what everyone else ordered but they all enjoyed their meal. I wish I could say we had this much luck when we went back for dinner...

Kona is probably my favorite non-buffet breakfast at Disney. I still haven't tried the Tonga Toast but I am completely in love with the Macadamia Pineapple Pancakes. Also, they serve a good cup of coffee which is a major plus.

We had the POR version of tonga toast in 2007 and I think it's a matter of taste! I thought it was pretty good and my daughter loved it, hubby thought it was waaaay too sweet! So to each his own!

Zip into Captain Cooks and give it a whirl!

I'm not a Tonga Toast fan. I had it once, and as mentioned it is VERY sweet. That being said, it's a little bit of heaven for DH.
He will order what is offered in Captain Cook's in a pinch. However he says it is not the same. Much better in the restaurant as opposed to a line order cook whipping it up quick.
Also in Kona their TT comes with a side of a strawberry concoction that is pretty darn good. Kind of a light fruited strawberry topping.

Ok, so Kona seems to be very popular (Tonga toast or not!)

Has anyone tried the Whispering Canyon Cafe at WL?

Best breakfast for us is a tie between

Grand Floridian Cafe - maple vanilla french toast and eggs benedict are great (maybe the best french toast in the known universe)

Kona Cafe - this is where you find Tonga Toast, but I'm not a fan. I love french toast, but tonga toast is not exactly french toast - very different. If you click the link in my signature for the dining review there is a full review of both breakfasts with lots of photos. :)

Another Tonga toast warning, don't get too excited until you have actually tasted it. I was all about the Tonga Toast, couldn't wait for our 1st stay at the Poly last December to finally get to have it for the 1st time. DH and I had previously had what I thought was a similar french toast/banana/ syrupy sandwich type thing for breakfast at a hotel in California and it was incredible. I love any kind of sweet or syrupy breakfast food. Got the Tonga Toast our first morning at the Poly- took one bite and BLECH:confused::sad2: It was awful. It was extremely dry, thick, and hard to even chew and swallow. It didn't seem overly sweet- more like eating chewy cardboard- or a few three inch thick pieces of dry toast on top of each other with a tiny little banana in the middle. I took 3 bites and I couldn't stand to take another. DH felt the exact same way. Maybe the changes the PP talked about were the cause? I was SO disappointed.

We like the Tonga Toast. It's not my favorite breakfast, but we liked it a lot. My husband definitely has a sweet tooth, so it was more up his alley than mine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter