Break from Magic Kingdom for dinner

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by dorothymantooth, Jan 3, 2013.

1. dorothymantooth

dorothymantooth Earning My Ears

I am headed to Disney with my family in February. We plan on spending one the day at the Magic Kingdom and are thinking of taking a break and eating an early dinner at one of the resorts. Are there any resorts that are easy to get to from the Magic Kingdom that have yummy restaurants? Any place not to be missed? We already have reservations at 'Ohana and Citricos. Thank you!:)

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Ro Z

Ro Z DIS Veteran

We like Grand Floridian Cafe and Kona. Both right on the monorail. We are not fans of the Wave but others seem to like it. :confused3

4. goofyintoronto

goofyintoronto I really wanted to like it, but I didnt.

I only like kona breakfast. Wouldn't recommend lunch or dinner. But its a popular place.

Id go with GF cafe for sure!

5. tluvstink

tluvstink DIS Veteran

Another vote for GFC! It was one of our favorites from our last trip.

Another fun thing to do would be to take the boat to The Wilderness Lodge and try one of the restaurants there. Whispering Canyon is fun and Artist Point gets great reviews:)

Terri

6. Julylady

Julylady DIS Veteran

Good suggestions. Kona is a must do for us every trip. They have amazing desserts! We also love Grand Floridian cafe. We also like the Cinderella character meal at the GF. The food is pretty good for a buffet and Lady Tremaine and the wicked stepsisters were just a hoot!

7. Li Li

Li Li Mouseketeer

Honestly, I feel like ALL the monorail resort restaurants are good! Personal faves are Narcoosees, Citricos and California Grill.

8. goofyintoronto

goofyintoronto I really wanted to like it, but I didnt.

the restaurant your referring to is 1900 park fair. Character interaction is great, but i didn't care for the food at all. But id go again for the step sisters. They're so funny!

And i agree with California grill. OMG food is amazing!

9. dorothymantooth

dorothymantooth Earning My Ears

California Grill will be closed when we get there. :( I didn't even think about Kona for dinner. I'll check it out. What about Wave... of American Flavors? It looks like I can get a reservation there. Anyone have an opinion about that place. Thanks for all of the input!

10. PryncessChrysty

PryncessChrysty <font color=deeppink>This sounds like a fun game<b

If you're already doing O'hana, I would skip Kona. I would do something a little different and take the boat from MK over to Ft. Wilderness and have Trail's End. Whispering Canyon at WL is good, too (but loud).

11. PryncessChrysty

PryncessChrysty <font color=deeppink>This sounds like a fun game<b

My DH & I had dinner there with three friends and none of us enjoyed it. I have heard from others that loved it, but we did not have a good experience. There was dirt in our salad (big chunks) and the steak was really tough. When we asked for a steak knife, we were told they don't have any on hand because their meat is so tender. Yeah, not so much. :rolleyes: All of our plates were still practically full when they cleaned the table at the end of the meal.

12. cindymindy

cindymindy Earning My Ears

We too are missing out on Cali Grill :( we are trying Flying Fish tis time in its place we also really enjoyed Narcoossees at GF. I was enchanted that not only could you watch the fireworks at MK, but also the water parade in the seven seas lagoon!

13. GrammyJudy

GrammyJudy DIS Veteran

Chef Mickey at the Contemporary or Ohana would be my choices

14. Harambe

Harambe <font color=FF99FF>I better watch what I say, I CA

Mmmmmm . . . almond crusted cheesecake at Narcoossee's. If you take the boat to GF from Mk, you walk up on the dock and practically fall into Narcoossee's.

15. NorweJenNY

NorweJenNY Always expanding my knowledge of the World

You already said you'd be going to 'Ohana - that would be at the top of our list - good choice! Also up there for us is Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge. We love getting a bottomless skillet! :goodvibes

16. disnmooner2013

disnmooner2013 DIS Veteran

When we go California Grill will be closed. I vote for Narcoossee's or take a boat ride to Wilderness Lodge for the all you can eat skillet at Whispering Canyon Cafe; or dinner at the signature restaurant Artist Point.

17. Figee17

Figee17 Mouseketeer

Take a boat to Wilderness Lodge for Whispering Canyon or to Fort Wilderness for Trails End. My family enjoys both and the young ones love the boat ride and the atmosphere at the campground especially.

18. Debby7

Debby7 DIS Veteran

We have had excellent meals and service at both the Grand Floridian Cafe and Kona.

19. iloveeeyore

iloveeeyore DIS Veteran

For me it would depend on what time MK closes? Is it an early closing and you won't be returning or a late closing and you want to get back?

If MK closes early, you might want dinner to be an event in and of itself, in which case I would suggest HDDR, a dinner show, which is in our opinion, one of the best events Disney offers. You can take the boat from MK to FW. Another option if MK closes early, would be a signature dining experience, either at Narcoossee's or Artist Point. Of the two, my family had a better overall experience at Artist Point, and since you are already dining at GF at Citricos, I would highly recommend it.

If MK closes later and you want to return, I would do something quicker, like Kona Cafe or GFC. We didn't care for The Wave, our dishes were very hit or miss and the atmosphere felt more like a Cave (you may enjoy that kind of thing). Kona has become one of our favorite restaurants in Disney for all meals, and we don't think it's too much like 'Ohana at all. GFC gets very good reviews and someday we will try it. We have done 1900 PF and while I wouldn't recommend it for the food, the characters were a hoot. We also really (still) enjoy Chef Mickey's. The food is pretty good, better than 1900 PF, and the restaurant is in the Grand Concourse, and it's fun to just be in there, with the monorail gliding overhead.

Please tell us what you decide!

20. pannm

pannm Mouseketeer

Whispering Canyon is a fun place. The food was ok and the service and entertainment were a lot of fun.
    1900 park fare- fun character experiance, but the food was NOT GOOD in my opinion. If you cook anything at home for yourself...you should skip it!

We had a great time at chef Mickey's and it was SOOOOO super easy to get there and back from MK!!! The food was better than some other buffet style places at Disney AND they did have a lot of special options. The dessert bar there was SUPER!

21. ashleypmo

ashleypmo DIS Veteran

Love taking the boat to WL. We also went to Poly one night, got CS and ate on the beach.