Boston - fun ideas?

Thank you guys SO SO much!!!! I have so much that we want to do and it's all because of you guys!!!!! I'll definitely check out the Go Boston card! Thanks!!
So we are between 4 hotels... We picked them because we felt like they were more centrally located -and we were hoping to catch a view of the fireworks from them! Thanks again!!!!!

Katie- thanks so much! We are actually considering that hotel for all the reasons you just mentioned!!!! Sounds like a lot to do all right there! Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
I would pick Marriott Longwharf. You can walk everywhere from there. It is right on the water and you can walk to the aquarium, fanueil hall, the North End, Boston Common, Public Gardens with the Swan Boats, Constitution, Bunker Hill Monument in Charlestown, shopping - lots of places. Also the Freedom Trail, TD Garden is right there too. Nothing going on at the time that you are going but still a landmark in Boston. Right across the street from the Garden is The Fours Restaurant - we love it there. We live 30 minutes from Boston. If you have any more questions I will try to answer them for you.

Also, someone mentioned Mystic CT - that is hours away. Not sure why that was mentioned.

If you feel like renting a car you are only about 45 minutes from the Cape.

Hey everyone! We were thinking of visiting Boston for a long weekend in July. We have never been, so I was wondering if anyone can give us some suggestions for fun places to go with our little ones. Also, would love some restaurant recommendations! Thanks so much!!!!!!!

Go to Salem for a day. Witch museum is fun. Lots of history. Also, Plymouth Plantation and the Mayflower or Old Sturbridge Village. Lexington and Concord Battlefields. So much to do in Boston/New England.

Also, someone mentioned Mystic CT - that is hours away. Not sure why that was mentioned.

About 2 hours, so perfectly appropriate for a day-trip if that's what the OP has in mind. There is a lot to see in Mystic and the aquarium is much better than the NEA. Not sure why it couldn't be mentioned, as the OP is looking for ideas.

Regarding hotels… If you are staying in Cambridge (a perfectly logical option- we've done it several times) make sure you know the location of the nearest T stop. The T is the MBTA, Boston's public transportation system. You don't want to be too far from the T and have to walk after dark, late at night, with kids. It's not feasible to think you'll be able to drive into Boston to go sightseeing. The roads are going to be packed (esp if you go for 4th of July, which I would recommend NOT doing), parking is impossible and expensive, and with all the one-way streets, it easily becomes a spider web for drivers.

We've stayed at the Marriott Cambridge and the Residence Inn in Cambridge. They are both right AT the T stop, so no issues getting into downtown Boston. We have also stayed at the Marriott Long Wharf. What a great location! All 3 hotels are exactly what you'd expect from Marriott, so no complaints there. We are not "loyal marriott customers;" these properties were simply the best financial deal for the times we were looking. Usually we stay out in Peabody when we go to Boston- cheap chain (Marriott, Hilton, etc) suites and parking at the T station in Malden is cheap and easy… but I "get" wanting to stay IN Boston!

We stayed at the Marriott Res. Inn in Cambridge over school vacation week last month just to give the kids a chance to swim and to break up the week. Nice property, good breakfast, convenient location - expensive parking. Don't bring a car if you come to Boston.

I would pick Marriott Longwharf. You can walk everywhere from there. It is right on the water and you can walk to the aquarium, fanueil hall, the North End, Boston Common, Public Gardens with the Swan Boats, Constitution, Bunker Hill Monument in Charlestown, shopping - lots of places. Also the Freedom Trail, TD Garden is right there too. Nothing going on at the time that you are going but still a landmark in Boston. Right across the street from the Garden is The Fours Restaurant - we love it there. We live 30 minutes from Boston. If you have any more questions I will try to answer them for you.

If you feel like renting a car you are only about 45 minutes from the Cape.

Thank you SO much! We actually just booked the Intercontinental!! We couldn't get a room at Marriott Long Wharf and that seemed like the next best option. We actually booked The Taj too, but didn't really see anything in that area we wanted to do! Everything we want to see is in the Fanueil Hall area, so this hotel works out great!! I'm also going to check out that restaurant you mentioned!!!!

Thank you also to everyone who has been writing! We know SO much more about Boston because of you guys!!! We truly appreciate all of your time!!!!
We watched some YouTube videos last night too! So helpful!!

We definitely plan to go to Fanueil Hall/shops, aquarium, childrens museum, walk the freedom trail, etc. We are even thinking of going to a Sox game! Once again, Thank You all SO much!!!!!!

Last edited:

I live right near Boston. My kids are now 10 & 14 but have been hopping on the T and going into Boston since birth whenever we get the whim to go in. All 3 of us have been to the renovated aquarium and still none of us really enjoy it. The USS Constitution Museum and Old State House Museum are both small but have hands on areas fun for both kids. My kids have always loved the museum of science - if you go make sure to check out the discovery center which is not in the main area and has a nice area for the youngest child and the 7 year will still enjoy. You can get the duck boat from there as well. The Old South Meeting House has a free scavenger hunt which comes in different ages so should be fun for the 7 year old. Also during Harborfest there is often extra kid friendly events at he Old South Meeting House. My kids always liked the swan boats even as preschoolers. If you go to the back of Fanieul Hall behind the buildings you'll see Rose Kennedy Greenway (I think it is called that). There are spray pads and if you walk around a bit some playgrounds.

If you want something laid back for the kids take the T (Green line c branch to Coolidge Corner - walk down Harvard ST in the direction of Walgreens when you get off the T and there is JP Licks with homemade ice cream then keep walking just a bit to a school with a big playground. It is in Brookline but its right near Boston.

There is a LEGOLAND Discovery center near the Assembly Square Orange Line T station

Just be aware that the fireworks will essentially be behind you at the Intercontinental as they are set off over the Charles River not Boston Harbor. I am not sure how much of them you'll be able to see from there because of the tall buildings downtown but you may be able to see some.

The Old Town Trolley company also runs the Boston Tea Party Ship and Museum which is right at your hotel (your hotel is actually ON the site of the Tea Party itself - the Ship and Museum are not on the exact spot) and I believe you still get free admission to the Ship with a Trolley ticket.

Clori - thanks for all this great suggestions! Will note everything- especially the ice cream palor!!

Just be aware that the fireworks will essentially be behind you at the Intercontinental as they are set off over the Charles River not Boston Harbor. I am not sure how much of them you'll be able to see from there because of the tall buildings downtown but you may be able to see some.

The Old Town Trolley company also runs the Boston Tea Party Ship and Museum which is right at your hotel (your hotel is actually ON the site of the Tea Party itself - the Ship and Museum are not on the exact spot) and I believe you still get free admission to the Ship with a Trolley ticket.

Thanks, I know we most likely won't be able to see the fireworks. We had to choose between convenience and fireworks, and we picked convenience. We were originally booked at Marriott Cambridge, but felt we were far (walking distance) from all the main things we wanted to do. We figure we'll see how the kids are holding up... if they can stay up that late we'll take a walk to see them... Otherwise we'll just go to bed!! lol thanks for the help!

Now that you're confirmed, I have to recommend our favorite restaurant in the North End. L'Osteria on Salem St - it's much more affordable than some of the popular trendy places on Hanover St and the food is better. Definitely you would need a reservation on July 4th weekend, ask to sit upstairs by the windows, great people watching and nice open air like atmosphere in the summer (upstairs is 1st floor). Try the house wine if you like white (only beer and wine, no hard liquor).
http://www.losteria.com/

Have a great trip!

living social has a deal for the Boston pizza tour (bostonpizzatours) - you get to eat a slice of pizza from 3 different North End restaurants and visit some historic places such as the Old North Church. I haven't done it yet but if it is something your interested in maybe call and see how child friendly it is?

Now that you're confirmed, I have to recommend our favorite restaurant in the North End. L'Osteria on Salem St - it's much more affordable than some of the popular trendy places on Hanover St and the food is better. Definitely you would need a reservation on July 4th weekend, ask to sit upstairs by the windows, great people watching and nice open air like atmosphere in the summer (upstairs is 1st floor). Try the house wine if you like white (only beer and wine, no hard liquor).
http://www.losteria.com/

Have a great trip!

We'll definitely be there!!!! Looked it up and sounds great!!!! Already put on our list to do!! Prices are great and menu looks delicious!!!!!!! Thank you So much!!!!!!

living social has a deal for the Boston pizza tour (bostonpizzatours) - you get to eat a slice of pizza from 3 different North End restaurants and visit some historic places such as the Old North Church. I haven't done it yet but if it is something your interested in maybe call and see how child friendly it is?

That sounds awesome but not sure how the kids would handle that. Definitely looking for a good pizza place though!!!!

FYI - Living Social has a deal on the Duck Tour right now for $25. The deal is good through November 29

That sounds awesome but not sure how the kids would handle that. Definitely looking for a good pizza place though!!!!

You can't go wrong with Pizzaria Regina in the North End! Some (or a lot) will recommend Santarpio's in East Boston but I think they are overrated (crust was charred when I had it) My fave is actually T Anthony's over by BU (where I went to college) but that would be a bit further out from where you're staying.

Last edited:
Go to Pizza Regina in the North End, not the one in Faneuil Hall. Get the extra cheese and a cold draft beer. You won't be disappointed. Go to Modern Bakery after for dessert. That's exactly what DD and I did the last time we went in to the city (well, no draft beer for her ).

Burberry and Sharona - just told my hubby I know where we're going for lunch!! Lol Thanks again to both of you!!!! Such wonderful advice and help!!!! we are truly looking forward to this trip!!!

Last edited:
We're going next week for 4 days. I am buying the Citypass which includes admission to the Aquarium, Museum of Science, Museum of Fine Arts and The Skywalk or Harvard Museum of Natural History. I think those will take up most of our days. I know I definitely want to do as much of the Freedom Trail as we can, and I'd love to visit Salem while we are in the are too.
Not sure where we'll eat but Id like to go back to Legal Seafood, I remember it being very good. I'd also like to go to the Cheers replica in Quincy Market and maybe Durgin Park.
We have a nice view of the city (at least that is what she said when I booked it) from our hotel so we'll probably just have pizza in our rooms one night and rent a movie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter