Borrowing and also Selling This Use Year

Rascal1003

Disney Family !
Hi Folks,
This might sound more complicated than it actually is, so please bear with me on this question.......

Our points start in April, but we want to travel in September. We are not planning to go on a big vacation in 2008, so thought we could borrow the 2008 points into 2007. We then intend to sell the 2007 points and use the 2008 points for this year's vacation.

Follow so far?

Now, it might get a little confusing here....how much of this can we do before April? Do we have to wait until we are in the 2007 use year before we can borrow the next year's points?
I am assuming that we could ordinarily bookinside of the 11 months and the points for that use-year would be debited (i.e we could book before April and the points used would come from 2007-2008 use year).

Starting to confuse myself now !

What would be great is to sell 2007 points as soon as possible and then book the September vacation straight away, using the money to pay for the flights.

Sorry folks, I am starting to talk nonsense.....but hopefully someone gets my meaning and maybe has an answer.

Many thanks in advance.

A rather now confused,
Russ.

Let me get this straight.....you are not going to travel in your 2008 UY but are planning a trip in your 2007 UY. I will also assume that you want to rent your 2007 UY points to get some $$. Then would like to borrow 2008 UY points so you can travel in your 07UY. If this correct so far.......

How much of this can you do before April........I believe all of it, if you are booking at your home resort.
If your stay is in you 07UY then borrowing 08UY points isn't a problem.
Now the rental side......you would have to book in your 07UY but you can do that now as long as you are with in your booking windows.

Brownie

Brownie, that is almost exactly it, you seem to have grasped it.

Let me put it in terms of points.....

2007 UY has 154 points
2008 UY has 150 points.

To rent......170 points (so, 154 of 2007 UY and 16 of 2008 UY if poss)
To book......128 points (all of which would be from 2008 UY I guess)

It might sound a bit mad and I am neginning to doubt the sanity of the whole plan. Can we rent points that have been borrowed?

I am looking at it as by borrowing 2008 UY points, I will have a total of 304 points for 2007 that I want to split between rent and booking, not equally.

Does this make my query a little clearer?

You need to know what you mean by "renting" your points to someone. If you are looking to find a DVC member who will want you to transfer the points, it's probably "cleanest" to do it with points that are not a mix of current and borrowed (although I think it is possible to do it). You are also assuming that one member will want the exact amount of points you are looking to "rent".

If you are going to be making reservations for someone, it will depend upon when they want to travel. And again, the likelihood of one person wanting your exact amount of points is unlikely. You'll have to work with one or more people for the day, resort, size, etc. they'll want.

You say you have an April Use Year. Your 2007 points can be used to travel between April 1, 2007 and March 31, 2008. You can also borrow any amount of points from your 2008 Use Year to book travel during that time period. Once you borrow to make the reservation, those points will also have to be used for stays ending March 31, 2008.

I'm not sure why you have 154 points in 2007 and 150 points in 2008....if you banked 2006 point to 2007 they cannot be banked again.

Making reservations is not dependent on when your Use Year begins. If you want to make reservations for September 2007, you could have booked your home resort starting in October 2006.

If you are planning to transfer points to another member, I don't think you can transfer borrowed or banked points. Also, borrowing isn't like banking -- you can't just call MS and ask them to move points from your 2008 UY to your 2007 UY. You borrow points as part of making a reservation. For example if you are booking a stay during your '07UY that requires more points than you have available in your '07UY, you can borrow the additional points you need from your '08UY to complete your reservation.

Can we rent points that have been borrowed?

I am looking at it as by borrowing 2008 UY points, I will have a total of 304 points for 2007 that I want to split between rent and booking, not equally.

Does this make my query a little clearer?

Yes - but if they do not get used they can not be banked. The best way to do this would be to find your renter and book that trip...so you know the points required. Then book your trip....or vise versa. But don't borrow them all with the hopes of using them. Even if you have 6 points left over in the 08UY you can bank them into 09.....don't waste them.
Brownie

Thanks everyone, especially Brownie. All is beginning to make sense now.

I have someone lined up to rent, with a booking in mind, so will book their trip for 170 points in August (which will mean borrowing as I only have 150points per year).
I will then book my own vacation for 128 points in September (again, borrowing from 2008)..........I think that is it, exactly how I see it working and all makes a lot more sense now. I guess if it seemed like I was going to transfer points to a non-DVC member, then it might have been a little more complicated.

Thnks very much for your help.

Thanks everyone, especially Brownie. All is beginning to make sense now.

I have someone lined up to rent, with a booking in mind, so will book their trip for 170 points in August (which will mean borrowing as I only have 150points per year).
I will then book my own vacation for 128 points in September (again, borrowing from 2008)..........I think that is it, exactly how I see it working and all makes a lot more sense now. I guess if it seemed like I was going to transfer points to a non-DVC member, then it might have been a little more complicated.

Thnks very much for your help.
You can not transfer points to a non-DVC member. Points are of no use to a non-member. You have to do the leg work of making the reservation and getting the money etc. You can only transfer points to a member. MS will always use the "oldest" points first, so any reservation booked for a stay between April 1st '07 and March 31, '08. For a stay that starts after April 1st, '08, they will use points from your '08 use year without the need to borrow. Sounds to me like you need to make that September ressie right now. The problem I see, is that makes your rental on borrowed points, and that can be a problem for you should the renter fall through. I guess I would wait until your '08 use year to rent out those points.

Will this be your first DVC vacation?

If so, I'd hold onto my points for now. You have no idea how much you're probably going to want them. We ended up adding TWO "unplanned-when-we-bought-points" trips this year.

No, it wont be our first, it will be our second. And also the second time of renting.
Diane, thanks for the info. I have no problem with the booking for a non-member. This is exactly what I did last year and it was pretty straight forward.
Because of being in the UK, we can't necessarily finance a trip to Orlando every year and 2008 will be our planned "optimum" time to have our second baby. This means no Disney until 2009 !

So.......book the August trip for and on behalf of the "renter" then book our September trip. I am hoping that is as simple as it needs to be.
From the last post, it sounds like booking our Sept trip firts is the way forward?
Thanks for your patience folks, I think we are getting there !!

Yes, you will want to book the points you rent first, since those will not then be borrowed points. Use the borrowed points for your own trip. You should have time to book that yet, since September is not usually too busy at DVC as long as you stay away from the end of the month when F&W is going on.

Thanks Diane, all beginning to make a lot of sense now.
We went last September and it was lovely and quiet, so September remains first choice for us.
Getting twitchy with excitement again !!! What will we do for 9 months..Jeez !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter