Booking virgin flights for August 2016 question

m1ckeymouse

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone

We are just back and considering a trip next August. Really don't think it's financially viable, but resort prices are not too bad so now thinking about flights. We always fly virgin direct usually using miles and money, we got an amazing deal this year, but I think it was a one off.

Are we best booking the hotel now to secure it then adding flights either via Disney or direct with virgin as soon as they are released or waiting and booking the resort, then the flights in the January sale? I'm not even sure I can use miles and money on sale seats either. This year's trip was booked last October, so maybe that was the best deal, I'm so confused! The trip hinges on the flights really but any crystal ball gazing that anyone can offer or advise with virgin direct for August based on experience would be fab.

Many thanks
Suzanne

If you can afford to lose the deposit if flights don't come in on budget then book now for your accommodation.

Also, consider alternative routes & airlines. Flying indirect in school holidays can save quite a bit of money even if you only do it one way.

I got my flights in December to fly July 2015. I managed to use just miles for 2 seats and M+M got the other 2. We went 2 days before school broke up and returned August. When I was looking there wasn't much availability for August for what I wanted, but it changes so much each time you look!!

I have found over the years that the best deal with Virgin is to book the day the flights come out. I've only ever seen them go up from there especially for August.

Accommodation is more readily available so we always book flights first.

I have found over the years that the best deal with Virgin is to book the day the flights come out. I've only ever seen them go up from there especially for August.

Accommodation is more readily available so we always book flights first.

I'm a bit gutted by this. The outward leg of our trip became available today. 1 adult, 1 way? £1k! And that's not going to come down at all? We were hoping to try Virgin this year, but at those prices, it's never going to happen. How can any pay that? I can't imagine needing to spend £4K on economy flights for two people! Our flights cost us £1400 total last year for the two of us flying direct with BA.

We've only ever seen them go up too. The day they came out they were a good £100 cheaper than they are now and it just keeps increasing marginally. That said, we know people that swear by the sale in January but they often opt for BA at this time as well. Nice to have different options available.

Hi. We are from UK and come every year at least. Try BA for the first time in 14 years we did not book with VA direct we booked with BA direct flights to MCO. They were 400 pounds cheaper!

I'm a bit gutted by this. The outward leg of our trip became available today. 1 adult, 1 way? £1k! And that's not going to come down at all? We were hoping to try Virgin this year, but at those prices, it's never going to happen. How can any pay that? I can't imagine needing to spend £4K on economy flights for two people! Our flights cost us £1400 total last year for the two of us flying direct with BA.

You won't know how much they will be until the return is available to price. A 1 way is always way more expensive than a return.

Last edited:
Oh ok... now another 14 nerve wracking days to see how the prices come out! Eek!

More than likely, they will still be way overpriced. Virgin nearly always has been out of our price range for the school holidays recently.

I think (but please don't quote me!) that the price of your outbound flight will come down, once it and the return flight are more than a few days apart. Hopefully it should come down to around half of what it is now - in economy anyway.

I've got another two and a half weeks before I can book my flights, as we are going for nearly three weeks this time (yay!). But I'm really worried that by the time I get the chance to book them, the outbound prices will be much higher because all the people booking a two week trip have been able to get in there first!!

It will come down once both legs are released. We were looking at upgrading to PE and our outward were released but not the return and the TA said that was the reason that the PE price was so ridiculous and to wait until both legs are available.

Hello....I hope its ok to poke in here with a question. We (my kids 10 and 8 and I) are here in the US and planning to do the opposite.....fly from Chicago O'hare to UK next (early) August for a week and a half to two weeks. I'd like to fly American to use some miles. I see you all commenting on 'when flights become available'....can anyone fill me in on this? How early do you / can you book a flight from here to there or vice versa and is booking right away the best chance at a low price? I'm in a similar quandry about whether to find lodging availability and book that first then book the flights around it or the other way around. I'm assuming early August in the UK is still summer holiday for school children, correct? Does this make flights more or less expensive and hard to come by?
Thank you to anyone that may have some useful tidbits for us! :)

Hello....I hope its ok to poke in here with a question. We (my kids 10 and 8 and I) are here in the US and planning to do the opposite.....fly from Chicago O'hare to UK next (early) August for a week and a half to two weeks. I'd like to fly American to use some miles. I see you all commenting on 'when flights become available'....can anyone fill me in on this? How early do you / can you book a flight from here to there or vice versa and is booking right away the best chance at a low price? I'm in a similar quandry about whether to find lodging availability and book that first then book the flights around it or the other way around. I'm assuming early August in the UK is still summer holiday for school children, correct? Does this make flights more or less expensive and hard to come by?
Thank you to anyone that may have some useful tidbits for us! :)

Yes, the school holidays will increase the price.

Different airlines release flights at slightly different times, but as you know who you want to fly with, visit their site and see how far you can book ahead now. It'll give you a clue about when they open up their dates.

Set an alert with sky scanner and they can message you (or I notifications from the app on my phone) when prices change. :)

Thank you. Is it realistic to think that I should be booking the flight as early as December? What about now (if available)? I have no idea how far ahead I SHOULD book them once they are available. I wish we could go there sometime other than summer vacation but we want plenty of time there and don't want them to miss that much school. :\

For me, I like having the flights in the bag as soon as I can. As soon as I see a price I'm happy with, I'll book.

Keep an eye on the prices and get an idea of what they might cost, and then book when you're happy.

I don't know whether it will help but I've just booked our flights for next summer.
For a family of four, 2 adults and 2 children (ages 9 and 6), I have got flights for £1700 (direct with Thomas Cook and then indirect back with Icelandair).
We are flying on the 19th August and back on the 3rd September.

@annachunt - we love Icelandair and keep trying to price them up. They're Sanford aren't they, rather than MCO? Are you hiring a car or paying for transfers?

@annachunt - we love Icelandair and keep trying to price them up. They're Sanford aren't they, rather than MCO? Are you hiring a car or paying for transfers?
We've never flown with them before but I've heard good things. We are flying out of Orlando International with them. We've got a car for the whole time just so we have options. We are spending some time at Universal so a car seemed easier for certain days.

Oh, @annachunt - I didn't know they had switched to MCO. I'll have to keep an eye on options with them, because they are one of our favourite airlines. A nice mix between budget and full service- we always pick them for our trips to Iceland (our other favourite place along with WDW!) Is it one stop in Keflavik? (Nice little airport, btw) or multiple stops?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter