Booking before points are available

itutorfortravel

I tutor high school math to pay for my travel addi
If I have purchased a dvc contract and the sale is final but my first points are not available till November, can I still book my home resort for December at 11 months out with the intention of applying my points to that trip when they become available?

If I have purchased a dvc contract and the sale is final but my first points are not available till November, can I still book my home resort for December at 11 months out with the intention of applying my points to that trip when they become available?

I am a bit confused - why are your points not available until November? There is no November use year.

Do you have a membership number and are your points loaded into the system? If yes, then you may book at 11 months, as long as there will be points in your account that will be available for the dates of your planned vacation.

However, you cannot book anything until your account is set up and the points loaded into your account.

Understanding Use Year

Thank you, you have been so helpful! No I don't have a contract yet and I guess my hypothetical UY doesn't make sense lol! Theses are just questions that would apply to me and also help me determine how many points I might need to buy...I'm an over analyzer but I feel I need to go into something having all the what-ifs answered! Thank you for indulging me :)

Thank you, you have been so helpful! No I don't have a contract yet and I guess my hypothetical UY doesn't make sense lol! Theses are just questions that would apply to me and also help me determine how many points I might need to buy...I'm an over analyzer but I feel I need to go into something having all the what-ifs answered! Thank you for indulging me :)
A very wise approach. :)

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like - there are lots of helpful people here who will be happy to help. Good luck with your research and buying (or not) decision.

When you get a chance, do read the Understanding Use Year thread - there's a link in my previous post. It will help you with several of your questions.

My understanding is booking has nothing to do with what is currently in your account.

We have a October use year, we plan to travel 3rd week in October, using the points we just got every year. But plan to book it soon. As long as you will have the points when your reservation comes.

We just closed on our contract, but I have read a lot.

Points are loaded into your account far in advance. I have an April use year and when I look at my account online, there are April 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 points showing. The points used depend on the date of your stay, not when you make the reservation.

Yes!

It's really not a matter of 'having' points available at the time of booking.

Think of it this way … once you are a member and your contract is closed, deed recorded and Disney has given you a membership number ALL your points for your contract are yours. Even your points in future years are in your account.

The problem is you cannot book until 11 months out.

I like using specific examples. With us, we have a Feb Use Year. We've used everything, and have no points available until Feb of 2015. (unless we were to borrow them into 2014 but I don't think that's going to happen as we have other plans in 2014 and honestly don't mind spending money to stay at non-DVC and even non-WDW resorts if/when we go to Orlando)

So we don't have them "available" until then, but if we wanted to travel that February, I would want to make that booking in March of 2014. Make sense?

OP does not yet have a contract. You must be in the computer and have your points loaded before reservations can be made.

When OP does have a contract, the following will be rules to remember as to making reservations:

1. You can always book 11 months out from date of arrival at home resort and 7 at others. Your use year does not affect that rule.

2. As to points you use for any trip, you should wipe from your mind the time you call to reserve and focus only on the time you will be at WDW to determine which points are current use year points and whether you need to bank or borrow. If for example you have a June use year and you want to reserve time in June 2015 at your home resort, you can call to reserve in July 2014 exactly 11 months from date of arrival and reserve June 2015 time and for that June 2015 trip, the points that will be effective June 1, 2015 are the "current" use year points for that trip. If you want to use June 2014 points, you must first bank them. And if you don't have enough current or banked points for the trip, you can borrow whatever additional points are needed from your June 2016 allotment of points.

When OP does have a contract, the following will be rules to remember as to making reservations: 1. You can always book 11 months out from date of arrival at home resort and 7 at others. Your use year does not affect that rule. 2. As to points you use for any trip, you should wipe from your mind the time you call to reserve and focus only on the time you will be at WDW to determine which points are current use year points and whether you need to bank or borrow. If for example you have a June use year and you want to reserve time in June 2015 at your home resort, you can call to reserve in July 2014 exactly 11 months from date of arrival and reserve June 2015 time and for that June 2015 trip, the points that will be effective June 1, 2015 are the "current" use year points for that trip. If you want to use June 2014 points, you must first bank them. And if you don't have enough current or banked points for the trip, you can borrow whatever additional points are needed from your June 2016 allotment of points.

At what point are the next year's points considered borrowed? What I mean is if I have a June UY and book a trip for May 2014 that requires me to borrow my 2014 points, are they considered borrowed at time of booking or at time of use? I ask because say I cancel my trip prior to the 30-day window, I would still want those points to be intact in their actually year.

They are considered borrowed when you make the reservation and cannot go back to their original UY.

At what point are the next year's points considered borrowed? What I mean is if I have a June UY and book a trip for May 2014 that requires me to borrow my 2014 points, are they considered borrowed at time of booking or at time of use? I ask because say I cancel my trip prior to the 30-day window, I would still want those points to be intact in their actually year.

They are considered borrowed when you make the reservation and cannot go back to their original UY.

hohula is correct. Borrowed points can never be returned to the use year they were borrowed from. Borrowing, banking and transferring are all final transactions. They cannot be undone.

hohula is correct. Borrowed points can never be returned to the use year they were borrowed from. Borrowing, banking and transferring are all final transactions. They cannot be undone.

So does UY coincide with calendar year? With mickeymc's above example, would he or she have to use the June 2013 points in that calendar year in order to not be considered borrowing? I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around when it's considered banking/borrowing if your using your points before your next UY. Thanks!

So does UY coincide with calendar year? With mickeymc's above example, would he or she have to use the June 2013 points in that calendar year in order to not be considered borrowing? I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around when it's considered banking/borrowing if your using your points before your next UY. Thanks!

step 1) throw out the calendar - it will not help at all

step 2) use year is when you "use" the pts for a stay, nothing at all to do with when you call to book. nothing. i can call in june 2013 to book my home resort for may 2014 - due to my home resort...11 months = 11 months no matter what UY i have.

step 3) so if I have a June UY and book a trip for May 2014...i stop and think, "my June 2013 UY runs from June 1, 2013 to May 31, 2014, so the May 2014 trip takes place in my 2013 UY."

step 4) i always know that if i am using current pts for a trip (current pts are 2013 UY pts in this case), then i also have access to banked 2012 UY pts and borrowed 2014 UY pts. (in other words, you potentially have access to points from the UYs on either side...unless you've already used them up.)

again, when you call to book is not a factor at all. you might be calling in july 2013 to book june 2014 at the very beginning of your 2014 UY...you can still borrow 2015 UY pts if you need to. but always start off by looking at the dates of your stay.

edited to add: the link in post 2 is very helpful and should be bookmarked by new DVC owners.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter