Booked for May! First DCL cruise! Tips?

DnA2010

Rope Drop!
Hi everyone,

Just booked our first DCL cruise for May! I'm busy reading TRs, but looking for tips- I know now I can go to Palo to get a bruch reservation, but just wondering what else books up quickly that we should look to book right away? Is there a character breakfast? We were able to do one on RC Oasis, however I didn't see this yet...thank you all very much, I never book things do last minute!

Hi everyone,

Just booked our first DCL cruise for May! I'm busy reading TRs, but looking for tips- I know now I can go to Palo to get a bruch reservation, but just wondering what else books up quickly that we should look to book right away? Is there a character breakfast? We were able to do one on RC Oasis, however I didn't see this yet...thank you all very much, I never book things do last minute!

I'm taking my first DCL cruise in May too, so I don't have any tips. I wanted to at least say hello. :) I cruised on the Oasis too. Beautiful ship, but gah, the food was REALLY gross!!! The specialty restaurants were good, but VERY expensive! I digress. Lol

Not sure what ship you're on/the length of your cruise, but I was looking for a character meal for my DS too. Apparently, there isn't one on the 4 night (Dream). Not sure if there's one on other ships/longer cruises. Perhaps someone else can respond to that. Also, I'm not sure when you're cruising in May, but you can find your cruise under cruise meets if you want to sign up for FE. Perhaps they're still accepting families to participate in their FE gift exchange.

Sorry I wasn't much help. Enjoy your cruise!

Hi everyone,

Exciting!! Congrats! You will have a great time! We had character breakfasts on a Med cruise, but I think they've been removed on the ones out of Port Canaveral. They do have a tea party that is quite popular (Fantasy) but pricey (think it's over $200?). If anything books up, don't let it dissuade you from trying to book once you're onboard..plans change, we've always snagged ressies i we wanted them.

Not sure if you're going with a family or adults only..but lots to do on board, just check your Navigator daily and plan what you'd like to do! We really do love the character visits with Jack from Pirates of Caribbean and Peter Pan...it's so entertaining to see their characters interact with the guests...almost a private comedy show :) Enjoy the fireworks out at sea...try to get up early one morning for sunrise at sea :) Enjoy!!!

We are on the fantasy- I will do some googling for a character meal. DD is prob a little old for a tea party (10) but I think I read somewhere that you need to get tickets ahead for Anna and Elsa .

Can't wait !

I've sent in the info for the FE also. :)

Congratulations on your cruise! You will have so much fun! The Fantasy is a beautiful ship!

If you can afford to do it, I would highly suggest staying at the Hyatt MCO right at the airport, so convenient! Just pick up your luggage and check into the hotel as it is right IN the airport! If you sign up for the Disney bus transfer to the port, you just tell them at check-in. They will give you a paper with all of the details. The next morning you just leave your luggage in your room and the next time you see it is on the ship!! We did this in November and it was so great!

Our first cruise with Disney out of Port Canaveral we rented a car and had reservations at the Residence Inn. It is about an hours drive from the airport in Orlando but it is an easy drive. Just make sure you have quarters for the toll booths. We went to dinner that night. The next morning we went and picked up a few things we needed, returned the car, and rode their shuttle to the ship. It was nice, but staying at the Hyatt was so much easier!

Also, if you are doing an Eastern Caribbean, look into Bernard's Tours. You can see reviews for them on Tripadvisor. We thought it was a nice overview of the island. Have Fun!!

We are just off the Fantasy. There were no character meals on our cruise. We did the MCO Hyatt and that worked great - especially after landing at 1am.

There are lots of great tips on the boards. I will offer a few:
1. Bring a spare hotel key or used gift card for the stateroom light switch.
2. Consider following your service team around for breakfast, especially if you have kids. Ask each night where they will be in the morning.
3. Carry a camera with you at all times, especially if you have kids.
4. Talk to the cast members - they are all super friendly and you often get special "magic" after a conversation.

Congrats, Disney cruises are so much fun! I agree with what everyone else has said so far. Definitely take advantage of having the same team serving you at your meals, have your camera/phone handy, and also make sure to order cookies and milk via room service!

I'm doing my first cruise in may. But we are doing a 3 night one on the Disney dream. Hoping the boat doesn't make our TRAVELLERS sea sick but we are coming from Newfoundland but we have one that is nervous about not seeing land? I am looking forward to it. Didn't book any excursion in Nassau was just going to get off the Dream and go for a little stroll around the peir. Anyone have any tips for Nassau?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter