Boo to You & Turning 2! Oct 2012 PTR *NEW* 10/30 We're Back! TR Link Posted!!

Gosh....I've been following you guys long enough that I'm starting to feel like part of the family! Looking at the 2009 trip pix thinking "Oh yeah, I remember that! Great memories!", then "Oh right, the weekend getaway when she was pregnant, how could I forget!":cool1:

I also forgot that our 2007, 2009 and 2011 trips all at least partially overlapped, which is why I started following your TRs to begin with. (Oh, and our first DL trips ever are only a few months apart.) Guess we're due to ALMOST meet again in 2013. :lmao: November again perhaps?

Oh, and I totally get in-law stress. We had a lot of problems with my DMIL when she came in 2009, but I think she really wants to go again. We will have to oblidge eventually....
SP

Hey there! Totally loved your trip report from November. I have a 1 year old myself and we're planing a cruise/WDW trip for Thanksgiving break and this will be the first time I travel with a toddler. I have three older daughters and we only started going to Disney when they were school age. So I have a lot of planning and reading to do and your trip report helped so much. I look forward to hearing and sharing more over the next six months or so. :yay:

I love the family history of Disney. Everybody here has their own story of how they came to be a Disney addict and it is always fun to see those stories.:goodvibes

:thumbsup2 Totally agree!

Awesome Ptr already! Love the Disney history! You prob did it for your tr too but I don't remember it. And it wa kinda fun since I just joined you on tour tr journey from last year.

Anyway, I didn't realize you were going from dl to Seattle! Where in seattle will you be visiting? I grew up there - in Madison park which is about 2miles frOm downtown right on lake Washington.

I know you arent planning any sit down meals BUT if you change your mind blue bayou is quite a neat experience. There really isn't any place like it at wdw except maybe San angel inn but even still being in the potc ride is way cooler than the three caballeros lol. Though I suppose new Orleans square doesn't hold ad much appeal to you guys.

Anyway looking forward to joining in your planning.

We will be visiting his aunt and uncle who live on Camano Island and his grandmother and another uncle live in I think Stanwood? So not REALLY in Seattle, but I'm sure we'll be spending some time there over the weekend. We visited the year we got married, and went skiing, went to Pike Place Market, the Art Museum, the Space Needle, the zoo, and did the Underground Tour, which was a lot of fun!

The two places I am looking at as possible sit-downs if we are able to get walkups would be Blue Bayou and Goofy's Kitchen. I don't know how realistic it would be to get a walk up meal at either of those places, but I thought we could possibly give it a shot if we are getting through the attractions faster than we had counted on. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Gosh....I've been following you guys long enough that I'm starting to feel like part of the family! Looking at the 2009 trip pix thinking "Oh yeah, I remember that! Great memories!", then "Oh right, the weekend getaway when she was pregnant, how could I forget!":cool1:

I also forgot that our 2007, 2009 and 2011 trips all at least partially overlapped, which is why I started following your TRs to begin with. (Oh, and our first DL trips ever are only a few months apart.) Guess we're due to ALMOST meet again in 2013. :lmao: November again perhaps?

Oh, and I totally get in-law stress. We had a lot of problems with my DMIL when she came in 2009, but I think she really wants to go again. We will have to oblidge eventually....
SP

lol I feel the same way when I read all of your TR's! I have "come along" on so many of your trips now & I always remember your DD's love of the Flights of Wonder shows, and little things like that. It's funny how that happens when you follow some of the same DISers on their TR's, you really do feel like you KNOW them!

Well, November is possible for 2013 if we REALLY want to do the Festival again, but I think October will be more likely so we can get in 1 more trip of DS being free!

In-law drama has plagued us from the beginning of our marriage unfortunately, and this will just be the cherry on top. If nothing else, she will expect us to take them on a trip sometime in the future, just like you, and I don't see that happening for us again. I don't think I could handle a week with her ANYWHERE, much less my happy place!!

Hey there! Totally loved your trip report from November. I have a 1 year old myself and we're planing a cruise/WDW trip for Thanksgiving break and this will be the first time I travel with a toddler. I have three older daughters and we only started going to Disney when they were school age. So I have a lot of planning and reading to do and your trip report helped so much. I look forward to hearing and sharing more over the next six months or so. :yay:

Thanks so much for commenting!! I'm glad some of my experiences could help prepare you for taking your toddler. It is such a different experience!! Maybe you can give me some tips on taking a little one on a cruise, since that is something I'd like to do in the next few years as well! :goodvibes

We will be visiting his aunt and uncle who live on Camano Island and his grandmother and another uncle live in I think Stanwood? So not REALLY in Seattle, but I'm sure we'll be spending some time there over the weekend. We visited the year we got married, and went skiing, went to Pike Place Market, the Art Museum, the Space Needle, the zoo, and did the Underground Tour, which was a lot of fun!

The two places I am looking at as possible sit-downs if we are able to get walkups would be Blue Bayou and Goofy's Kitchen. I don't know how realistic it would be to get a walk up meal at either of those places, but I thought we could possibly give it a shot if we are getting through the attractions faster than we had counted on. Thanks for the suggestion though!

wow! Camano! My step fathers family has a house there and I used to spend all holidays there! That's so neat! And he has family in Stanwood too lol. Crazy! What did you think of the zoo? I love that zoo, used to volunteer there and at the Pacific Science Center (love it there too btw). The Ballard Locks are pretty neat too, you might enjoy that with Paxton. :)

Sorry if I missed somewhere you mentioning the restaurants. Hope you can get a walk up if you decide to. Q

lol I feel the same way when I read all of your TR's! I have "come along" on so many of your trips now & I always remember your DD's love of the Flights of Wonder shows, and little things like that. It's funny how that happens when you follow some of the same DISers on their TR's, you really do feel like you KNOW them!

Well, November is possible for 2013 if we REALLY want to do the Festival again, but I think October will be more likely so we can get in 1 more trip of DS being free!

In-law drama has plagued us from the beginning of our marriage unfortunately, and this will just be the cherry on top. If nothing else, she will expect us to take them on a trip sometime in the future, just like you, and I don't see that happening for us again. I don't think I could handle a week with her ANYWHERE, much less my happy place!!

Well, I can't go that far with my DMIL. I wouldn't mind going with her for a week, I just am not sure about WDW. (And for the record my DW felt the same way about the trip.) We probably will take her again someday...sigh.

I'm glad to hear I'm NOT crazy that I feel like "part of the family". :) I think there's just certain people you meet on here that you feel more "in tune" with, like you would make friends with them in the real (non-DIS) world as well. Too bad if we miss you again in 2013, though. I can't say we have a definite date yet...it will be a LOT dependent on Free Dining though, as I sure hope we can get it since DD with then be 10, and now we are talking 3 "adults" on the DDP. I love eating TS...but can't afford it without free DDP.

wow! Camano! My step fathers family has a house there and I used to spend all holidays there! That's so neat! And he has family in Stanwood too lol. Crazy! What did you think of the zoo? I love that zoo, used to volunteer there and at the Pacific Science Center (love it there too btw). The Ballard Locks are pretty neat too, you might enjoy that with Paxton. :)

Sorry if I missed somewhere you mentioning the restaurants. Hope you can get a walk up if you decide to.

We enjoyed the zoo, since both of us had really only been to the Audubon Zoo. I will add the Locks to my short list of things we might do the weekend we are there. I haven't found much to do that would be fun for Paxton. :confused3 But our time there will be pretty limited, and the whole point is to spend time with DH's family who we never get to see, so I'm sure it won't be too hard to keep ourselves occupied. :thumbsup2

Well, I can't go that far with my DMIL. I wouldn't mind going with her for a week, I just am not sure about WDW. (And for the record my DW felt the same way about the trip.) We probably will take her again someday...sigh.

I'm glad to hear I'm NOT crazy that I feel like "part of the family". :) I think there's just certain people you meet on here that you feel more "in tune" with, like you would make friends with them in the real (non-DIS) world as well. Too bad if we miss you again in 2013, though. I can't say we have a definite date yet...it will be a LOT dependent on Free Dining though, as I sure hope we can get it since DD with then be 10, and now we are talking 3 "adults" on the DDP. I love eating TS...but can't afford it without free DDP.

Definitely not crazy!! And I feel like the more TR's I read and participate in, the more people I feel that way about. It's funny how a little Disney message board can bring you together. Before I found the Disboards, I never really expected to have such a fun time reading about other peoples trips to Disney World! :goodvibes

Yes, I know this is a Disney World PTR, but since our DL trip is coming up first, I thought I'd start there with our rough itinerary and ask some advice!

Our trip will start on Mother's Day, when we drive to New Orleans to spend the day with family and spend the night at my parents house for our departure the next morning. That is the plan, at least! I was scheduled to work that weekend, so when I made my vacation request I only asked off for Sunday to avoid having to hear anything from my boss about requesting the whole weekend. So I have to have pretty much everything packed & ready to go before I go to work on Saturday!

Normally my parents would bring us to the airport, but since they are leaving to go on a cruise before we return, we will most likely be driving ourselves and leaving our car at the airport unless we can find someone else who can pick us up when we return. Here's our dilemma!

We have two options for flights from New Orleans to LAX. Option #1 is to fly direct on Delta. I'm leaning towards this because I think it would be easier to have the trip done in 1 flight and only have to worry about Paxton's ears popping twice. It would depart at 7:05 am and arrive in Los Angeles at 9:22 am local time (4 hr 17 min flight). Option #2 is to fly Southwest. We could leave a little later at 7 am and would arrive at LAX by 10:55 am local time after a layover in Las Vegas. It would be total travel time 6 hours. I think that is a lot, and I don't want to have to worry about putting Paxton on a plane twice in 1 day if I don't have to. BUT...it would be quite a bit cheaper. And since we are planning to buy a seat for Paxton, and we are paying for 3 flights (NOLA to LAX, LAX to Seattle, Seattle to NOLA), saving $$ where we can is a big deal. To fly Delta, it's $215/person plus bag fees, whereas Southwest is $228/person and bags fly free. And of course when it comes to saving money, that's what DH leans towards! So...what would you choose & why?

Once we arrive, we will most likely go straight to the resort to see if there is any chance of our room being ready. We are staying at Wyndham Dolphin's Cove, which is on Orangewood Ave and according to Google Maps, a 4 minute drive to Disneyland! They do have shuttles from the resort, but we are more comfortable driving with all of Paxton's stuff, and parking will be free with our Premier AP's.

3752-1322580479.jpg

On the off chance that our resort unit is ready, we will head in to unpack and probably make a grocery run before going to Disneyland for a little while in the afternoon/evening. However, on the much more likely chance that our room is not ready, we will probably just leave our bags with bell services and go straight to Disneyland! Depending on how we are adjusting to the time change of course...I'm worried about how Paxton will handle that! Here's hoping he naps on the plane!

Regardless of what order we do everything, I just want to step foot into DL at some point on our arrival day. Whether it's for lunch or for dinner, I just want to see it!

Our full days in the parks (that I have not worked out which day will be in which park yet) will be Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Our main priority one of those days will be obtaining FPs for World of Color, hopefully for the early show, since I could not convince DH to do the dining package at any of the restaurants. Touring Plans rates Mon-Thurs a 2/10 so I'm really not at all worried about seeing everything we want to see. And we may possibly have some time Friday morning to do a few more attractions before heading back to LAX for our flight to Seattle. We shouldn't have a problem getting a good direct flight for this flight since a few carriers seem to have directs at a decent time, but we will likely be flying one that has baggage fees. Southwest is probably the ONLY carrier without a direct from LAX to SEA, of course!!

This brings us to the part of our trip that prompted this whole DL adventure in the first place! DH's grandmother will be celebrating her birthday over the weekend. She, along with my FIL's brother, and his sister & her husband, all live about an hour outside of Seattle. FIL and his girlfriend wanted to drive :-)scared1:) to Seattle over several days, stopping in various places along the way, to see her for her birthday. FIL suggested the three of us come along since that part of DH's family has never met Paxton. His grandmother is just not well enough to fly anymore, so she wasn't able to come down for our wedding either, so she has missed a lot! We said we'd join them in Seattle for that weekend, but would DEFINITELY be flying instead of driving!! So we will fly to Seattle on Friday afternoon, spend Saturday and Sunday with the family, then fly home Monday. That day will be BRUTAL!! In order to not be arriving in New Orleans super late at night, we have to leave super early in the morning. And with the airport being an hour and a half from DH's aunt's house...well, I really just don't even want to think about how early we will be getting up in the morning!

DH meanwhile had spent the day in DL while in California on a job last year in April. He was itching to take DS and I, so this was the perfect opportunity! Since we were already flying to the West Coast, why not add on some time in DL before going to Seattle for the weekend? That prompted us to upgrade our tickets on our past WDW trip to Premier APs because after some number crunching, it made the most financial sense.

Here are a few pictures from that day trip (a 10/10 on the TP Crowd Calendar, I'll add!):

DSCN4504.jpg

DSCN4500.jpg

DSCN4584.jpg

Another dilemma that came up in the course of planning this vacation was DS's sleeping arrangements. At Dolphin's Cove, getting a PnP will be no problem. But then what would we do at DH's aunt's house? Co-workers suggested letting him sleep on the floor in our room, but he moves all over his crib at night, and I'm afraid not having something to keep him in one place would freak him out, especially if he woke up during the night. Sleeping in bed with us is out because I don't want to have to break him of that habit when we get home! So I decided to look and see if there were any rental services similar to the ones we used in Orlando, and they actually existed!! We could rent a full size crib for $12 a day! Sounds perfect, right? Until I emailed the owner to ask what the delivery fee to Camano Island would be and was told it would cost $80!! :scared1: Are you kidding me?! At this point, it looks like we'll just be buying a low budget PnP from Wal Mart or Target and having it shipped to their house, or even just asking them to go buy us one and we'll pay them back for it. We can get a decent one for $50!

Okay, sorry this was kind of long, kind of boring, hardly any pictures, and not about WDW!! :rotfl: Next post, I will start posting some of my ideas for our October trip and asking for MORE advice!!

I always like to fly direct. It's just so much easier. But if it's saving you money and it's not going to be too much of a hassle, fly Southwest! You can't beat the two free bags for each person deal. Do you have to switch planes? I know sometimes they keep you on the same plane.

Oh Disneyland. Look at that little itty bitty castle lol. When I was there last year, I kept looking everywhere for the castle as my landmark and all I kept seeing was the Matterhorn. It threw me off! :laughing: I couldn't get over how small (and pink!) it was. I have to say though the DL fireworks trump Wishes!

Can't wait to read more of your plans! After our trip next year, my goal is an October trip so we can see the park dressed up for Halloween. Your little guy is so cute!!

I haven't flown on a plane since I was 5, so I'm not sure what I would do. I think I would like the direct flight, easier on the baby.

Having flown to Southern Cali with a toddler here are a few things we learned:

--If you have to fly Delta even though they have baggage fees the PnP, you might have to buy, would actually fly free. When we flew out there we had a few days in Hollywood with a friend of ours who is in school at USC. He didn't have a PnP so we needed to take ours even though once we got to the resort they'd have one for us. So, when we checked in they marked it and we didn't pay a fee for it...so, depending on what you do check in to that to see if that is still the case. Also, we took the stroller all the way to the gate and we didn't pay for it either. And since we were there we had to take his Britax carseat...it also flew free. We didn't buy AG a seat on the plane because at the time he was small enough that we didn't worry with it. So, see if that helps your math/number crunching. :)

--When flying in to LAX know that all the rental car places are not at the airport...you have to take a shuttle to the lot...which means you'll be carrying EVERYTHING but the kitchen sink to the shuttle! I found a bag to put the carseat in that actually could be worn like a bookbag from Amazon. It helped a lot having it and made it easier trekking to and from the car rental lot. AG was in the stroller and I had the carryon bags plus a suitcase to navigate. Andy had the carseat in the backbag, the PnP (which I put in a protective bag with a shoulder strap that I found on Amazon), and another suitcase. We were quite a sight! Ha. :rotfl:

--To make the weight limit on our bags I actually stuffed extra diapers, blankets, PnP sheets, etc. in the bags that went over the carseat and PnP. Be savvy with your packing. :thumbsup2

--I collected little odds and ends for AG from the dollar store and clearance aisles. Wrap everything and stick them in your carry on. The wrapping paper is one distraction and then the new toy is another. Helped with the travel to and from. I also picked up a new movie or two of his favorite things/characters.

As far as who to fly...I'm all about saving money BUT I think you also have to be realistic. You don't want to be miserable on the plane with a cranky toddler. When we went SW wasn't an option for us out of ATL but we opted for Nonstop flights both ways. I'm glad we did...the flight out there he was an angel but the return flight he wasn't up for it. I can't even imagine having to change planes on the return flight. I was counting down the minutes till the plane landed...he didn't scream or anything he just was just not happy with being stuck on a plane. Didn't want to watch a movie, didn't want to sleep, didn't want play with what we had, etc.

Decisions, decisions! Can't wait to see what y'all decide on. Happy planning!:goodvibes

I always like to fly direct. It's just so much easier. But if it's saving you money and it's not going to be too much of a hassle, fly Southwest! You can't beat the two free bags for each person deal. Do you have to switch planes? I know sometimes they keep you on the same plane.

Oh Disneyland. Look at that little itty bitty castle lol. When I was there last year, I kept looking everywhere for the castle as my landmark and all I kept seeing was the Matterhorn. It threw me off! :laughing: I couldn't get over how small (and pink!) it was. I have to say though the DL fireworks trump Wishes!

Unfortunately, they ALL require a plane change! There's only one direct flight through Southwest that day but it doesn't fly out until 3 pm NOLA time and arrives 5 pm LA time. That's just too late for me. We STILL have not decided, but I know we need to and SOON!

I know, that Castle is just SO small! I can't get over that after being used to seeing Cinderella's Castle. DH said the exact same thing, he kept looking for the reference point and seeing the Matterhorn!

We were wondering if DL had fireworks because DH didn't remember if they just didn't have them or he didn't stay to see them. I'm excited to hear that! I LOVE Wishes, so I'll be interested to see these if you think they are better. :thumbsup2 I was reluctant to admit it, but I thought the Summer Nightastic fireworks were a little better than Wishes too. I still love my Wishes though!!

Can't wait to read more of your plans! After our trip next year, my goal is an October trip so we can see the park dressed up for Halloween. Your little guy is so cute!!

I haven't flown on a plane since I was 5, so I'm not sure what I would do. I think I would like the direct flight, easier on the baby.

Thanks so much! After two trips of Christmas and one trip of no decoration, we are excited to see the parks ready for Halloween again. Makes you feel like fall even though it's still pretty hot outside in Florida! :rotfl:

That's exactly my feeling on the plane situation...if we were flying back and forth to LA only, I don't think it would be an issue of money, but 3 flights is just SO expensive...We just keep going back and forth without committing to anything. :laughing:

Having flown to Southern Cali with a toddler here are a few things we learned:

--If you have to fly Delta even though they have baggage fees the PnP, you might have to buy, would actually fly free. When we flew out there we had a few days in Hollywood with a friend of ours who is in school at USC. He didn't have a PnP so we needed to take ours even though once we got to the resort they'd have one for us. So, when we checked in they marked it and we didn't pay a fee for it...so, depending on what you do check in to that to see if that is still the case. Also, we took the stroller all the way to the gate and we didn't pay for it either. And since we were there we had to take his Britax carseat...it also flew free. We didn't buy AG a seat on the plane because at the time he was small enough that we didn't worry with it. So, see if that helps your math/number crunching. :)

Thanks for the tip on the PnP! I thought I had read that somewhere but couldn't remember. Good to know about the stroller too since we will definitely be bringing ours. We thought about not buying DS a seat, but ultimately decided if we do take the longer flight, we'd be better off buying him one. When he's in his seat, he knows he has to stay there vs. him squirming and trying to get off our laps when he gets grouchy.

--When flying in to LAX know that all the rental car places are not at the airport...you have to take a shuttle to the lot...which means you'll be carrying EVERYTHING but the kitchen sink to the shuttle! I found a bag to put the carseat in that actually could be worn like a bookbag from Amazon. It helped a lot having it and made it easier trekking to and from the car rental lot. AG was in the stroller and I had the carryon bags plus a suitcase to navigate. Andy had the carseat in the backbag, the PnP (which I put in a protective bag with a shoulder strap that I found on Amazon), and another suitcase. We were quite a sight! Ha. :rotfl:

Yuck about the rental cars. Last time we flew, we brought bungee cords and strapped the carseat to the big piece of luggage and that seemed to work well too until we got it to the gate. On our first flight, we just gate checked both the carseat and stroller, but on our return flight there were empty seats so we were able to get DS a free seat with his carseat and just check the stroller. If we just either ship the PnP to DH's aunt's house or buy it once we get there, we should only have to get it through the airport for our trip home!

--To make the weight limit on our bags I actually stuffed extra diapers, blankets, PnP sheets, etc. in the bags that went over the carseat and PnP. Be savvy with your packing. :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 Awesome idea!!

--I collected little odds and ends for AG from the dollar store and clearance aisles. Wrap everything and stick them in your carry on. The wrapping paper is one distraction and then the new toy is another. Helped with the travel to and from. I also picked up a new movie or two of his favorite things/characters.

We are definitely going to have to get some new toys to occupy him because he is never interested when we bring some from home. And definitely putting more Elmo movies on the iPad!!

As far as who to fly...I'm all about saving money BUT I think you also have to be realistic. You don't want to be miserable on the plane with a cranky toddler. When we went SW wasn't an option for us out of ATL but we opted for Nonstop flights both ways. I'm glad we did...the flight out there he was an angel but the return flight he wasn't up for it. I can't even imagine having to change planes on the return flight. I was counting down the minutes till the plane landed...he didn't scream or anything he just was just not happy with being stuck on a plane. Didn't want to watch a movie, didn't want to sleep, didn't want play with what we had, etc.

Thanks for the advice, especially since you have been there done that. We will definitely talk about it more, but I'm really leaning towards the more expensive direct flight. Hopefully I can convince DH, who is usually more concerned with saving $$ because he doesn't think the plane ride will be "that bad." :rotfl:

Decisions, decisions! Can't wait to see what y'all decide on. Happy planning!:goodvibes

Thanks for all the great tips!!

Looks like you have a lot of airplane time in front of you. I realize you have to do what fits in the budget, but I'd be leaning towards the Delta flight. I'd hate having to spend extra time on a plane, and have to get of and get back on if I didn't have to. Hopefully you can make the direct flight work.

It looks like it will be a fun trip. :thumbsup2

Saw your post on Nermel's TR so decided to sub. Your son is adorable!

We were wondering if DL had fireworks because DH didn't remember if they just didn't have them or he didn't stay to see them. I'm excited to hear that! I LOVE Wishes, so I'll be interested to see these if you think they are better. :thumbsup2 I was reluctant to admit it, but I thought the Summer Nightastic fireworks were a little better than Wishes too. I still love my Wishes though!!

The only reason DL wouldn't have fireworks is if it's too windy. The ash blows into the surrounding neighorhoods. Crazy right?? They also shut down Fantasyland prior & during the fireworks.
Also, you HAVE to see World of Color. I wish that would take the place of Illuminations (I didn't really just say that...on the DIS...:rolleyes1 )

I'm a little late chiming in, but I wanted to give you my opinion on the two short flights versus one long one. I actually think in a way two shorter flights can be better. Keeping a small child sitting in the same spot for a long time can be tough (unless they are TV Zombies like DD), and if you have two 2.5 hour flights versus one 4.5 flight, with a hour break in between which would allow for a little running around time, it might actually be better. Now, if the switch in Vegas doesn't give you time to actually get off the plane, I am not so sure. But I would also tend to look at the save $$ versus time unless it is a very small difference.

Looks like you will have a lot of flying going on either way.

I will also be curious how you feel about the time in the parks. I see you also have three full days, as do we - well sort of 2 and 3/4 for us - it seems like enough.

I am also most interested in seeing World of Color, enough that I am willing to do one of the dining packages. I am most concerned about the view for DD. She is now too big to lift up and carry to give her a view, but if we are just amongst the general public, I worry she will not be able to see. From what I've read and heard with the dinner package you have an exclusive viewing area, which hopefully we can sneak her up to the front rail. Hoping that using the package combined with a Monday night show maybe we will have a decent view.

I've sort of already scrapped the idea of seeing Fantasmic! It seems like the early showing you have to stake your spot hours in advance for any kind of decent view, and honestly we aren't huge fans of the DHS version while it terrifies DD, and though it is known to be better at DLR there are other things I'd rather see then spend several hours waiting for this. The late showing is easier, but with the time change I'm not sure any of us can make it up that late.

There's certain things that I miss about DD being small, but lugging car seats and pack n plays isn't one of them. I actually thought I would miss the stroller a bit not having the storage space in the parks, but it was so nice not having to navigate that thing around in the crowds!

Looks like you have a lot of airplane time in front of you. I realize you have to do what fits in the budget, but I'd be leaning towards the Delta flight. I'd hate having to spend extra time on a plane, and have to get of and get back on if I didn't have to. Hopefully you can make the direct flight work.

It looks like it will be a fun trip. :thumbsup2

DH and I talked about this more last night, and I think direct will be best for us. I'd rather wrangle him in one long stretch than have, say, a horrible first flight and have to do it AGAIN in a couple of hours! :scared1:

Saw your post on Nermel's TR so decided to sub. Your son is adorable!

:welcome: Happy to have you!! And thanks so much! Love my lil man. pirate:

The only reason DL wouldn't have fireworks is if it's too windy. The ash blows into the surrounding neighorhoods. Crazy right?? They also shut down Fantasyland prior & during the fireworks.
Also, you HAVE to see World of Color. I wish that would take the place of Illuminations (I didn't really just say that...on the DIS...:rolleyes1 )

Ah, good to know. Kind of crazy that is so close to people's homes like that!!

Definitely planning on seeing WoC. I'm REALLY excited about that, and so is DH since he wasn't able to visit DCA and didn't get to see it. :thumbsup2

I'm a little late chiming in, but I wanted to give you my opinion on the two short flights versus one long one. I actually think in a way two shorter flights can be better. Keeping a small child sitting in the same spot for a long time can be tough (unless they are TV Zombies like DD), and if you have two 2.5 hour flights versus one 4.5 flight, with a hour break in between which would allow for a little running around time, it might actually be better. Now, if the switch in Vegas doesn't give you time to actually get off the plane, I am not so sure. But I would also tend to look at the save $$ versus time unless it is a very small difference.

I definitely did think about this!! I can see pros and cons of both one long flight and two shorter ones. However, I think with my child, getting it over with in one shot whenever possible might be the way to go. I was thinking of when we take long car trips...he's usually fine for awhile, but if we take him out somewhere to let him run around, the LAST thing he wants to do it get back in the carseat!! I'm actually hoping if we take an early enough flight that maybe he will sleep at least for some of it. And he does like his TV, so it might not be so bad? :confused3 Thanks for the alternative viewpoint though! That's why I love these threads!!

Looks like you will have a lot of flying going on either way.

Unfortunately, this is a true statement. :sad2:

I will also be curious how you feel about the time in the parks. I see you also have three full days, as do we - well sort of 2 and 3/4 for us - it seems like enough.

I'm thinking 3 days will be enough, especially since it is not supposed to be very crowded, and park hopping will be a breeze compared to WDW! Lots of time saved there!

I am also most interested in seeing World of Color, enough that I am willing to do one of the dining packages. I am most concerned about the view for DD. She is now too big to lift up and carry to give her a view, but if we are just amongst the general public, I worry she will not be able to see. From what I've read and heard with the dinner package you have an exclusive viewing area, which hopefully we can sneak her up to the front rail. Hoping that using the package combined with a Monday night show maybe we will have a decent view.

Hopefully you will. DH is just too darn picky and didn't want to commit to any of the restaurants. I'm picky too, but I could have found SOMETHING to eat at the dining locations offered, especially if it means a guaranteed viewing spot for the show! Guess we will have to just try out luck with the FP's.

I've sort of already scrapped the idea of seeing Fantasmic! It seems like the early showing you have to stake your spot hours in advance for any kind of decent view, and honestly we aren't huge fans of the DHS version while it terrifies DD, and though it is known to be better at DLR there are other things I'd rather see then spend several hours waiting for this. The late showing is easier, but with the time change I'm not sure any of us can make it up that late.

We are not huge fans of Fantasmic at DHS either. We can take it or leave it. DH said he enjoyed the DLR version a lot more than DHS, but it's probably not something I'm prepared to spend hours waiting for either! We will probably take the attitude of if it works out, great...if not, oh well!

There's certain things that I miss about DD being small, but lugging car seats and pack n plays isn't one of them. I actually thought I would miss the stroller a bit not having the storage space in the parks, but it was so nice not having to navigate that thing around in the crowds!

Yes, lugging all of DS's junk was definitely the most challenging part of our November trip! And trying to figure it all out for this trip has been a little frustrating too, but we'll manage. I look forward to a trip without that stuff, but that'll be about the time #2 comes along. So I guess that trip is a long ways away for our family!! :rotfl:

How fun to be visiting DL. I really want to go there someday. It looks like a must for any Disney lover.

On the flights - I think I would go with the non-stop because its really not that much more with the checked bags and it is non-stop. I could see if the SWA flight was like $50 or more a person cheaper, but its really not unless you have a ton of bags.

Great start to your PTR!

How fun to be visiting DL. I really want to go there someday. It looks like a must for any Disney lover.

On the flights - I think I would go with the non-stop because its really not that much more with the checked bags and it is non-stop. I could see if the SWA flight was like $50 or more a person cheaper, but its really not unless you have a ton of bags.

Great start to your PTR!

I am pretty excited about DL, mostly because I thought it would be a LONG time before we took a trip to California! After being to WDW so many times, it will be so great to see all the differences between the two parks.

I think I have convinced DH that the potential $$ savings is not worth the hassle of two flights if we don't have to. There are no direct flights on any carrier from Seattle to New Orleans, so one day of two flights within the span of a week is torture enough, I think! Hopefully we can condense our luggage, which might not be too difficult since we will have access to a washer and dryer for both parts of our trip.

Yes, I know this is a Disney World PTR, but since our DL trip is coming up first, I thought I'd start there with our rough itinerary and ask some advice!

Our trip will start on Mother's Day, when we drive to New Orleans to spend the day with family and spend the night at my parents house for our departure the next morning. That is the plan, at least! I was scheduled to work that weekend, so when I made my vacation request I only asked off for Sunday to avoid having to hear anything from my boss about requesting the whole weekend. So I have to have pretty much everything packed & ready to go before I go to work on Saturday!

Normally my parents would bring us to the airport, but since they are leaving to go on a cruise before we return, we will most likely be driving ourselves and leaving our car at the airport unless we can find someone else who can pick us up when we return. Here's our dilemma!

We have two options for flights from New Orleans to LAX. Option #1 is to fly direct on Delta. I'm leaning towards this because I think it would be easier to have the trip done in 1 flight and only have to worry about Paxton's ears popping twice. It would depart at 7:05 am and arrive in Los Angeles at 9:22 am local time (4 hr 17 min flight). Option #2 is to fly Southwest. We could leave a little later at 7 am and would arrive at LAX by 10:55 am local time after a layover in Las Vegas. It would be total travel time 6 hours. I think that is a lot, and I don't want to have to worry about putting Paxton on a plane twice in 1 day if I don't have to. BUT...it would be quite a bit cheaper. And since we are planning to buy a seat for Paxton, and we are paying for 3 flights (NOLA to LAX, LAX to Seattle, Seattle to NOLA), saving $$ where we can is a big deal. To fly Delta, it's $215/person plus bag fees, whereas Southwest is $228/person and bags fly free. And of course when it comes to saving money, that's what DH leans towards! So...what would you choose & why?

I would choose the direct flight. As much as i like southwest I like flying nonstop even more. That might change after we fly with Aria though, as the argument for two shorter flights with some running around time in between could come into play. But even still I'd choose the nonstop just to get there, especially since it's just 4 hours (vs a cross country 6-7 hour flight I'm used to).

Once we arrive, we will most likely go straight to the resort to see if there is any chance of our room being ready. We are staying at Wyndham Dolphin's Cove, which is on Orangewood Ave and according to Google Maps, a 4 minute drive to Disneyland! They do have shuttles from the resort, but we are more comfortable driving with all of Paxton's stuff, and parking will be free with our Premier AP's.

I'd prefer to drive too, if it's not in walking distance. I'm never, ever staying within walking distance again because the long walk back was always horrible after walking all day long. I'll either stay at the grand Californian if we can, or drive.

On the off chance that our resort unit is ready, we will head in to unpack and probably make a grocery run before going to Disneyland for a little while in the afternoon/evening. However, on the much more likely chance that our room is not ready, we will probably just leave our bags with bell services and go straight to Disneyland! Depending on how we are adjusting to the time change of course...I'm worried about how Paxton will handle that! Here's hoping he naps on the plane!

Regardless of what order we do everything, I just want to step foot into DL at some point on our arrival day. Whether it's for lunch or for dinner, I just want to see it!

Our full days in the parks (that I have not worked out which day will be in which park yet) will be Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Our main priority one of those days will be obtaining FPs for World of Color, hopefully for the early show, since I could not convince DH to do the dining package at any of the restaurants. Touring Plans rates Mon-Thurs a 2/10 so I'm really not at all worried about seeing everything we want to see. And we may possibly have some time Friday morning to do a few more attractions before heading back to LAX for our flight to Seattle. We shouldn't have a problem getting a good direct flight for this flight since a few carriers seem to have directs at a decent time, but we will likely be flying one that has baggage fees. Southwest is probably the ONLY carrier without a direct from LAX to SEA, of course!!

You have a ton of time to enjoy DL! That's awesome. I wouldn't plan out your days too much just bc it is so easy to hop over to DCA/DL, though I would plan for an early morning in each to get on TSMM. there are more single rider options at DL too, which makes it easier rather than using FPs and baby swap.

This brings us to the part of our trip that prompted this whole DL adventure in the first place! DH's grandmother will be celebrating her birthday over the weekend. She, along with my FIL's brother, and his sister & her husband, all live about an hour outside of Seattle. FIL and his girlfriend wanted to drive :-)scared1:) to Seattle over several days, stopping in various places along the way, to see her for her birthday. FIL suggested the three of us come along since that part of DH's family has never met Paxton. His grandmother is just not well enough to fly anymore, so she wasn't able to come down for our wedding either, so she has missed a lot! We said we'd join them in Seattle for that weekend, but would DEFINITELY be flying instead of driving!! So we will fly to Seattle on Friday afternoon, spend Saturday and Sunday with the family, then fly home Monday. That day will be BRUTAL!! In order to not be arriving in New Orleans super late at night, we have to leave super early in the morning. And with the airport being an hour and a half from DH's aunt's house...well, I really just don't even want to think about how early we will be getting up in the morning!

I've done the drive from Seattle to Anaheim many times. Granted I also lived in Monterey (before Seattle) and I'd suggest when Paxton is older to try and do the drive (when you have the time to spend - a couple days isn't enough IMO). It's just beautiful. I can't wait to do it with dh and aria, we hope to combine it with a southwest road trip, but mainly I want to show Andrew northern California.

DH meanwhile had spent the day in DL while in California on a job last year in April. He was itching to take DS and I, so this was the perfect opportunity! Since we were already flying to the West Coast, why not add on some time in DL before going to Seattle for the weekend? That prompted us to upgrade our tickets on our past WDW trip to Premier APs because after some number crunching, it made the most financial sense.

Here are a few pictures from that day trip (a 10/10 on the TP Crowd Calendar, I'll add!):

Another dilemma that came up in the course of planning this vacation was DS's sleeping arrangements. At Dolphin's Cove, getting a PnP will be no problem. But then what would we do at DH's aunt's house? Co-workers suggested letting him sleep on the floor in our room, but he moves all over his crib at night, and I'm afraid not having something to keep him in one place would freak him out, especially if he woke up during the night. Sleeping in bed with us is out because I don't want to have to break him of that habit when we get home! So I decided to look and see if there were any rental services similar to the ones we used in Orlando, and they actually existed!! We could rent a full size crib for $12 a day! Sounds perfect, right? Until I emailed the owner to ask what the delivery fee to Camano Island would be and was told it would cost $80!! :scared1: Are you kidding me?! At this point, it looks like we'll just be buying a low budget PnP from Wal Mart or Target and having it shipped to their house, or even just asking them to go buy us one and we'll pay them back for it. We can get a decent one for $50!

Have you looked into any of the travel solutions. We bought the Kidco Pea Pod for this reason. It's really small - will easily fit in a suitcase or even a carryon, and takes away the issue of sleeping locations. It came about bc our offsite place at WDW doesn't guarantee a PnP. It's first come, first serve. We will just have to be sure to use it for nap time for a little while so she is used to it (and of course i type this while she is napping on my chest lol).

Okay, sorry this was kind of long, kind of boring, hardly any pictures, and not about WDW!! :rotfl: Next post, I will start posting some of my ideas for our October trip and asking for MORE advice!!
:surfweb:

According to the website for the resort, it's within walking distance, but we will DEFINITELY be driving!! Maybe if it was just the 2 of us we could skip the cost of the rental, but definitely not with DS. Plus, with the PAP we get free parking anyway.

I actually thought about doing the drive to Seattle, but a 1 way rental is SO much more expensive, and we don't want to spend all that time driving back to LA just to fly out of there. It is something I'd like to do one day though.

I actually had not looked into those, but I may. About how big are they? Still big enough to fit a toddler? It was difficult to tell from the pictures on the websites that showed small babies in it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter