Bonine saga...part 2....now what??

jelo

Preparing for our Universally Magical vacation
I decided to call the Walmart pharmacy to have them order the Bonine (cyclizine 25mg) for kids and I would then exchange the Equate brand Dramamine for the Equate Meclizine at that time.:cutie:

So I told him first about the Meclizine, and he told me they have it behind the counter but it's by rx only, not otc. I can only get the Equate Dramamine otc.:scared1:

Then I asked about ordering the Bonine for kids, they've never heard of it and don't carry it.:eek:

This is Niagara Falls, NY. Does each State have differant policies perhaps?:confused:

I know they had the stick behind your ear type, otc...should I get that instead?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I decided to call the Walmart pharmacy to have them order the Bonine (cyclizine 25mg) for kids and I would then exchange the Equate brand Dramamine for the Equate Meclizine at that time.:cutie:

So I told him first about the Meclizine, and he told me they have it behind the counter but it's by rx only, not otc. I can only get the Equate Dramamine otc.:scared1:

Then I asked about ordering the Bonine for kids, they've never heard of it and don't carry it.:eek:

This is Niagara Falls, NY. Does each State have differant policies perhaps?:confused:

I know they had the stick behind your ear type, otc...should I get that instead?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

We get the Bonine (meclazine) at Safeway Grocery store or Walgreens Pharmacy. It's on the shelf at both places.

The Bonine site lists Walmart. :confused3

http://www.bonine.com/where-to-buy

The kids version is Cyclizine Hydrochloride

Here is the Meclazine

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dramamine...ickness-Relief-8-ct/12167246?findingMethod=rr

The only place I have seen Bonine for Kids on the shelf is at Buy Buy Baby. We bought it there in November. However, I stopped in there the other day to buy some and the store I went to no longer carries it.

Did you try calling Walgreens to see if they can order it?

This time I had to order it from drugstore.com.

I don't have any experience with any other sea sickness meds, so I'm not sure what else to suggest. Maybe just bring the dramamine and if that doesn't work for your kids, they may have Bonine on the ship.

bonine.jpg

You dont need to search for it, you can get it online and shipped right to you.

http://www.drugstore.com/bonine-for...-berry/qxp154238?catid=182980&fromsrch=bonine

My Sam's Club Pharmacy sells Rugby Travel Sickness (Meclizine HCI 25 mg) in a bottle of 100 chewable tablets for $3.80. It is NOT a prescription Rx.

I got ours at the airport. We had completly forgot to pick up some before we left, so we bought it from a little kiosk. Our youngest DD gets motion sick very easy, so we gave it to her on the plane, and she was fine. Also not as sleepy and cranky as when she takes childrens dramamine. The first night on the cruise I found out that I get sea sick:sick: and I chewed one of the tablets and felt great! Not too sleepy, not too queasy! Good luck finding these!!

I am in Canada, so we don't carry it here. I go State-side to buy what I need....:banana:

I ended up ordering everything from Amazon, and I'm going to return what I bought to Walmart.

Now I can just sit and wait for it to arrive!!!:cool1:

Thanks again.....I don't know how I ever planned a vacation without the internet!!:surfweb:

I am in Canada, so we don't carry it here. I go State-side to buy what I need....:banana:

I ended up ordering everything from Amazon, and I'm going to return what I bought to Walmart.

Now I can just sit and wait for it to arrive!!!:cool1:

Thanks again.....I don't know how I ever planned a vacation without the internet!!:surfweb:

wow,the only prombelm i had with gettting mine was the phamstic and i can't spell the work had to explaine the meds to me before i could buy it and this was over the counter not behind it. I got mine at rite adite. So i guess canda and the us must have diffent regs. Glad that you found what need have a wonderfull cruise

We are in Syracuse, NY. I purchased Bonine for Kids at Wegmans just last week. It was OTC, in the aisle on display right next to the Dramamine, etc...

I cannot find children's bonine anywhere here and we leave Saturday. I know I should have checked earlier, but I just assumed they would have it. Most pharmacies I called didn't even know there was a kids version. I called the peds. office and she siad to give half of the adult dose of regular bonine. I am going to go ahead and split the pills before we leave and have them on hand just in case.

Hopefully you won't need it. Our youngest is prone to car sickness when driving through the mountains, but the ship never gave her an issue! We had some just in case, but it wasn't needed.

I was talking with my sister about going down to the US to get some Bonine for our trip. She said she would see about getting a perscription of it or something like it. My BIL (works on tugs) says we won't need anything. I said I'm not spending my vacation in the stateroom. He says he uses Bonamine -not sure if he has the wrong name or it's called something different up here in Canada.

I was talking with my sister about going down to the US to get some Bonine for our trip. She said she would see about getting a perscription of it or something like it. My BIL (works on tugs) says we won't need anything. I said I'm not spending my vacation in the stateroom. He says he uses Bonamine -not sure if he has the wrong name or it's called something different up here in Canada.
We don't have Bonine here...but you can order it from Amazon.com and have it delivered. I have an US box, so I'll have it delivered there and zip over to pick it up. Parcels can get stuck at customs for awhile....

I understand the ship dr has a basket of Bonnie outside his door. Is this right? Is this for kids too? Also,I had "land sickness" after my 7 day years ago and heard it works for that too. Is that right?

I wouldn't give my children (now grandchildren) any medication for seasickness unless they got sick. When I sailed with granddaughters, I started two days before the cruise, giving them ginger chews (real ginger), this continued every night at dinner. We also had children's seabands just in case, but never needed them. I have sailed with children on several occasions and find that children don't seem to get sick as much as adults do. I wouldn't medicate my children/grandchildren unless necessary.

My Sam's Club Pharmacy sells Rugby Travel Sickness (Meclizine HCI 25 mg) in a bottle of 100 chewable tablets for $3.80. It is NOT a prescription Rx.

Perhaps I can try to clarify what appears to be conflicting information....

Meclizine is marketed in the US as both an rx and an OTC product. How the product can legally be sold is dependent entirely on the labeling that is on the stock bottle. If the bottle has the "Rx only" legend printed on it and is not printed with specific directions for use and warnings, then it cannot be sold without a prescription. If the stock bottle has the appropriate directions and warnings for end consumer use, then it can be sold OTC as an entire unit (i.e. the pharmacist couldn't just sell you 10 tablets out of that bottle).

It's the same as how a number of acid reducers, such as Zantac, Pepcid, Prilosec & Prevacid, can now be purchased OTC. Yet, they still have "rx only" equivalents for prescription use.

Any pharmacy that purchases directly from a national wholesaler should be able to special order any product that the wholesaler stocks. Walmart, because of their size, does their own corporate warehousing for their pharmacy stock, which may limit their ability to accommodate special orders, as they may not be dealing directly with a mainline wholesaler.

I order all my Bonine online for better prices. I get it from either Walgreen or drugstore.com.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!