Bonine Question

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by GrandCanyon, Dec 29, 2012.

1. GrandCanyon

GrandCanyon Mouseketeer

I bought some Bonine for our trip. Should we take it everyday as a precaution, or just when we start to feel woozy? Are there any side-effects? I don't want to fall asleep at a show.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

I would suggest that you check with your physician before taking any medications, even over the counter drugs. This is particularly important if you take any other medications or supplements.

With motion sickness medications, you walk a fine line. Why take them if you don't need them? On the other hand, they work better if started before you become symptomatic. SO....if you start the med and don't experience any motion sickness, there is no way to know whether the meds worked or whether you were never destined to become ill.

4. Gina

Gina <font color=red>Remembers the Great DIS Board Cras

I always, always take it every day on a trip that involves ships, airplanes, or theme park rides, whether I need it or not. Preventing motion sickness is SO much easier than trying to treat it. I also begin taking it a few days before we leave, so that my body is used to it and any side effects are lessened by trip time.

5. GrandCanyon

GrandCanyon Mouseketeer

We've cruised twice before, but on the mammoth Oasis of the Seas (a floating island; haha). We didn't have any issues on Oasis, but the Dream is half the size, so that's why we were asking.

6. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

Each person is different....I get motion sickness on small boats, cars, etc....and don't even think about theme park rides.

The DCL ships have great stabilizers. While I can't say that I've never had any queasiness during a couple of "interesting" times, normally I have no problem at all. Of course, each person is different.

There is a rough patch on the first night as the ships go thru the gulf stream on PC departures. Once this hour or two is over, it is generally smooth sailing.

7. Jeff Spencer

Jeff Spencer Space & Disney Nut

Taking motion sickness medicine after you feel the onset of motion sickness is pretty much a waste of time. I'd recommend you either take it every day or keep a close eye on the ship's forecast and if the seas are predicted to be more than a few feet, start taking it then.

8. tinkmom2

tinkmom2 DIS Veteran

I take the sea sickness pills every day. I knew right away when the ship started to leave port. They provide free ones on the ship but my daughter took the children's Bonine and was fine. My littlest daughter always gets car sick on the way to port so we give her the pills before we leave the hotel. The only side effects I noticed were a little dry mouth. There is also ginger ale available with dinner if your stomach still isn't right.

9. quirty30

quirty30 DIS Veteran

I had taken 2 shorter cruises back in the nineties, before our cruise on the Disney Fantasy this past June. I had only experienced mild seasickness. I brought Bonine with, but didn't take it immediately. Much to my dismay, I got violently ill within hours of setting sail. It was an absolutely miserable first night. I started taking the Bonine as soon as I started feeling ill but it was too late. I continued to take it for the duration of the cruise. And if I ever cruise again, I will start taking it the day before.

10. JacksGirlz

JacksGirlz DIS Veteran

I start the day before the cruise and take Bonine (less drowsy) in the morning and Dramamine (drowsy) at night. I take them every day like that throughout the cruise and even a day or so after we are on dry land. I haven't noted any side effects except that the Dramamine does make me sleepy - so I get a great nights sleep. In regards to side effects, everyone is different, and you may experience some that I have not so it's not a bad idea to run it by your doctor.

11. pouncingpluto

pouncingpluto 2005 WDW Bride

I'm very prone to motion sickness, so for cruises I actually start taking it a day before I board and keep taking it regularly while on board. For plane rides or road trips I take it an hour beforehand.

12. lbgraves

lbgraves Little Cinderella's Mommy

I take it when we go to WDW before the cruise or at least start the day before if we don't do WDW first. I take it in the morning. Would rather not find out if I would get sea sick on the cruise. :) If the motion bothers me in the evening I get gingerale at dinner. On the first night this is a must because the waters outside the port can be a little rough.

13. dragonfly08

dragonfly08 DIS Veteran

I know I'll get motion sick, so I start Bonine the day before embarking and continue until the morning we disembark.

On our last cruise, DH left his meds at home. The first night was pretty rough. I ended up getting some extra meds from the on-board clinic for both him and DD #1. They already had symptoms when they started taking it, but by morning were both much better. DH continued taking it though the cruise, we dosed DD one more time to be sure then stopped to see how she did and she was ok after that.

14. sayhello

sayhello Have Camera, Will Travel Moderator

As others have said, if you wait until you need the Bonine, it's really too late. I highly suggest doing a "trial run" with the meds before you go, to find out how they affect you. If they're going to make you drowsy, then you want to make sure you take them before you go to bed, so that you can sleep it off. Everyone reacts differently to the meds, even the "non-drowsy" ones can put you to sleep.

Personally, I use the patch, although they're not for everyone, either. I put it on the night before we boarded, kept it on for the first 3 days, took it off for a couple of days, and then put another one on for the last 3 days. I had virtually no problems with seasickness.

Sayhello

15. texasgirl73

texasgirl73 Obsessive Trip Planner

People react differently. I tested it before the trip and found that I felt no side effects. My children also had none, so we went ahead and took some everyday (they stopped a few days into the trip while I -and my oldest daughter- continued throughout the trip. My husband didn't take anything because medications make him sleepy and her preferred to take his chances. It just depends on how it makes you feel. I hate being sick to my stomach so I would rather be proactive with the meds but if I felt side effects then I would have to weigh the pros and cons.

16. pouncingpluto

pouncingpluto 2005 WDW Bride

I'm pretty sensitive to medicines that can make you drowsy, but I don't feel any side effects from Bonine whatsoever. With normal Dramamine, I am totally ruined for the entire rest of the day.

17. misslissa

misslissa DIS Veteran

I don't take a lot of medications and I don't get much motionsickness at all.

On our first cruise, I thought I was tough and didn't take anything... I was fine until after dinner, then sat down for the show and could hardly stand up at the end, I was so dizzy! I went back to the room (was sick), took some Bonine once and never had to take it again on our 7 night cruise.

This happened on my first night of our second cruise too. I heard this is because when leaving Canaveral there is a certain area of the 'gulfstream' or something that the ship has to 'pass over' just after dinner that makes it choppy, a lot of people are just getting used to the sea and have a hard time around this time.

So, now I just take it right before getting on the first day and that is the only time I need it. It only cost me a Palo dinner and a bottle of wine to learn. I lost it about an hour after eating it... now I book Palo on the second night. :rotfl:

18. DannyDisneyFreak

DannyDisneyFreak Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

So do you get at Walmart or CVS? Has anyone had any side effects, drowsiness? I think I'm going to get it just incase. If it does make you drowsy is it just as effective if you take it before bed? Does it interact with other medications or alcohol?

19. ChrizJen

ChrizJen <font color=green>I am not a Koala Bear at the zoo

On our first cruise, I didn't want to take it unless I knew I would need it, but I had the Bonine ready just in case. I have inner ear problems even on land. So I had a feeling I would have issues at sea.
    As soon as the ship started moving, I knew I was going to need the Bonine. So I began taking it then. By that evening at dinner, I was fine. My poor brother waited until it was really bad and ended up in bed through dinner that first night. He was fine by morning once the Bonine kicked in.

Since that first cruise, I always take Bonine starting the day before we sail. I've never had any ill affects from it. I get drowsy with Dramamine, but never have with Bonine.

As others have said, you should check with your doctor and make sure Bonine will be safe for you to take.

I'd say that it would be safe for you to wait until on board to see if you need it, but it may be different for everyone. If you tend to get motion sickness and you think you'll have issues, I would just start taking it the day before to be safe. As long as you have no negative side affects, I say better safe than sorry! :thumbsup2

20. sonogal

sonogal Mouseketeer

I don't have any problems with motion sickness on the ships. However I did have to take meclizine (name for Bonine) once for a really bad sinus infection. I took 2 pills on a Friday night and was pretty much out cold until Sunday afternoon. I only woke to use the bathroom and eat a little something but could barely hold my head up due to being so sleepy. Yes it worked for the associated dizziness but there's no way I could take it on a ship and still function to enjoy myself.

And whatever you do, don't mix with alcohol.

You could try the wrist bands that I've heard help or ginger tablets. I agree with the others to try it ahead of time to see how you react.

21. NCConch

NCConch Mouseketeer

I grew up in Florida and we ocean fished a lot. A captain told us to take the Dramamine the night before because it stays in your system for 24 hours and it helps you sleep.