Bone to pick...

Boo

DVC BWV '98
I've got a bone to pick.. albeit it minor with MS... are they ever going to issue us new membership cards instead of just mailing out cheapo valid date stickers to slap on our DVC cards? I could really use a new card. Mine is falling apart- the plastic overlay with our names on it is hanging on by the hair of it's chinny chinny chin. The thread regarding the discount at Disney stores made me think of this. I went the other day to buy something and when I pulled out my card to get my 10%, the store clerk and I joked how the card had seen better days. Maybe I'm just pulling it out of my wallet one too many times to buy something at Disney Store, ha ha! But ya think they could at least send a new card once in awhile!!!
Pretty soon I'll have to duct tape it!

No they don't send out automatic new cards. However, if you call/e-mail and ask for a new one, they will send it to you. :) I've worn out one already, too!

Boy, I'm with you on that. I have to hold my card at just the right angle to the light in order to read my member number. I called a couple of years ago(!!!) about it and they said new ones were coming out soon. It's totally not a big deal, I've got my membership number memorized, but why don't they send us new ones?

A simple call to MS will get you a new card. With 70,000 members out there it seems a waste of money to just send out new cards to everyone, all the time. I'll bet it could easily cost a dollar or more per card to make and mail. Just send them out to people when someone needs a new one.

Our cards are fine. (Guess we don't use them enough:p )

I'm sure I could call and get a new one. It's just more fun to gripe about it, rather than pick up the phone. I need to write myself a post it and stick it on the card, so next time I'm actually on the phone with MS- I'll remind myself- by the way, ding dong, ask for a new card!!
;)

I think the original intent was to send out new card periodically to all members. Actually, the original cards were embossed and very colorful. But, the original cards also "came apart" easily, mine separated a front layer from a back layer. We then received the "blue" cards with the gold imprint that wears off.

As membership grew, the costs to replace all the cards at regular intervals became cost prohibitive, so they send out the stickers. I do wish they would re-design and send out new cards every 10 years or so.

I just got 2 new card in the mail yesterday. I somehow misplaced the others...it was just a quick call to ms & the new cards were on their way. I've never gotten stickers...

Considering the amount of cards that Disney prints out every day as room keys, you'd think a cost effective way of making member cards would be found as well.

And the printing on those room cards holds up better than the DVC member cards :rolleyes:

For the DVC discount at the Disney Store, you could have BankOne send you a new Disney Visa with "Disney Vacation Club Member" on it. (oof, four Disney references in one sentence! Somebody stop me!).
At least that would take care of your discount-obtaining needs, and you could keep your DVC cards in a "safe" place (tho when my DW puts something in a "safe" place, it just means I can't find it when I need it).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!