Boma - Worth the Trip?

firkat

Dumbo or Die!
:wave2: Hello. We are staying at the Poly and I have read such great reviews of Boma. My concern is that it seems like such a long commute. Is it worth it?

Also, how is lunch compared to dinner?

Thanks!!!

Taking Disney transportation (bus, in this case) will get you there in no time. I, too, thought it would be a big commute (from BC), but it was less than 15 minutes.

Now, while I'm glad I tried it, I wouldn't go back to Boma as it just wasn't my cup of tea. The food is familiar enough but is very spiced. Not spicy as in hot, but a lot of spices are used...and my digestive system does not get along with spices if you know what I mean. However, the desserts were to die for!!

They have a breakfast buffet and a dinner buffet...I don't think they have lunch. The dinner buffet is huge, so you are sure to find something you like. Plus it's neat to go inside AKL and look around.

We stayed at the Polynesian in July and had dinner at Boma. The trip there wasn't so bad because we were at AK for the day and just took the very short bus ride over the AKL--about 5 minutes away with minimal wait for the bus. The return trip took about 45 minutes because we ended up waiting for a very long time at AK for a bus to the Polynesian. I suppose we just missed one.

Anyway, the food was very very good. DH and I loved trying the different types of foods, and the kids enjoyed typical kid fare like PB&J, chicken tenders, and chocolate chip cookies for dessert. The desserts there are excellent and nice because they're in bite sized pieces and therefore nice for trying lots of different types. Prepared salads are very good as are the hot foods. They have about 5 or so types of soup each night.

I'm very glad we went there on this trip. Would we do it again? That depends on other options, but I'd say it's worth the trip at least once.

Also, if you don't want to get stuck waiting as long as we did, taking a taxi from AKL to the Poly is pretty easy; there were at least 3 or 4 taxis waiting when we walked out of AKL after dinner.

And there is only breakfast or dinner there, no lunch.

Have a great time!

We think Boma is one of the best restaurants at WDW. The trip is not that long at all.

Give it a try .. you won't be sorry!

My DH considers Boma as an attraction that must be done every trip, yes I did say attraction just like HM or POTC. Yeah Boma is worth........

IMHO Don't miss out on this wonderful restuarant because you are afraid of the "trip". The resort itself is something to see. As a matter of fact, I am able this upcomming trip for the first time to stay at AKL (During this trip we have 4 Boma reservations - 2 Breakfast - 2 Dinner) But...... when we stayed elsewhere we still did 4 Boma's per trip. :thumbsup2

Go. You won't be sorry. :woohoo:

:thumbsup2 Go for it! It was one of the best restaurants (if not the best restaurant) we ate in over our 10 day holiday! :love:

Boma is one of our favorite restaurants. There are so many different options, everyone is bound to find something they like. The desserts are delish. We went from SSR this past December and fell in love with the AKL, which is why we're going back in five days! :banana: This time we'll try the breakfast buffet, which is supposed to be one of the best breakfasts on property. Hope this helps.

Raina

I was thinking of cancelling for the exact same reason. I am going to schedule us to be at AK for the day, and our ADR is at 5:00, so I would just take the bus to AKL from AK. However, my kids usually take naps, but with AK closing earlier than other parks, we are just going to chance no naps. I guess if they start getting testy after dinner, we'll just grab a taxi back to CSR.

I tried everyday of our trip last year to get into Boma...I better keep my ADR this year. ;)

I won't day don't go, but we won't ever do it again.

We thought that since we were at AK, it wouldn't be that big a deal and we'd give it a chance. I don't know what the bus service is like all the time, but for us it was the worst bus service we experienced our entire trip. We waited at AK for a very long time for a bus and an even longer time for a bus when we were leaving AKL. It took approximately 2 hours just in wait/travel time getting to the AKL and then leaving AKL for another park.

AKL wasn't the only resort we went to for dinner and we had no complaints about the travel time to any of the others.

We also really didn't like BOMA. It wasn't just the food, the service was deplorable and it was undoubtedly the most crowded place we ate at the entire trip.

Just my experience.....

KatiebugsMom said:
My DH considers Boma as an attraction that must be done every trip, yes I did say attraction just like HM or POTC. Yeah Boma is worth........

I agree with him; in fact I consider visiting AKL an attraction in itself. I love to sit in their lobby and admire the art and architecture while sipping a drink from Victoria Falls lounge while waiting for our dinner res. My kids like to watch the cartoons :rolleyes: Then after dinner, we like to take a stroll around the pool, and then stop and look at the animals for awhile. Lovely evening, and absolutely worth the trip IMO!

NEXT week DS & I have a Boma brkfst AR here. We check into the AKL NEXT Thurs the 17th
When DH joins us on the 19th we'll be starting his vacation with a dinner AR at Boma

We love Boma for both breakfast and dinner and would highly recommend it to anyone.

IMO, it's definitely worth the extra trouble getting there. And, staying at the Poly should make it easier for you, since you're only moments away from MK. We made a whole evening out of Boma's, including looking around the resort and watching the animals.

Boma is wonderful! That's where our party of nine (4 adults, 5 kids) will be eating on New Year's Eve this year. We've eaten there several times and just love it! If you can only have one meal there, then I'd recommend dinner, but the breakfast is great, too.

AKL is a wonderful resort to visit, and you can sit around the fire pit and see the animals with night vision binoculars.

If you're coming straight from AK, I'd recommend keeping a change of clothes handy (maybe in a locker in AK?) if you plan on riding Kali River Rapids. We always save that ride until the end of the day, because we get absolutely soaked. If we plan to go directly to Boma (and we aren't staying at AKL on that trip) we've always changed in the bathrooms in the lobby.

I think you'll find it's worth the trip!

:thumbsup2 We love BOMA so much that we will be going there on our June trip and we are staying at Universal. We will drive down to AKL for the evening just to eat at BOMA. Been waiting for it!

I

We also really didn't like BOMA. It wasn't just the food, the service was deplorable and it was undoubtedly the most crowded place we ate at the entire trip.

Just my experience.....

Phew! I thought it was just us. I dont rate Boma at all. We first went in 04 and were left unimpressed by the bland food and lousy service. I cook lots of spicy food including North African foods such as tagines and couscous. I have also dabbled in S.African cuisine and Bomas is a poor poor imitation. We did try it again in 06 because we thought it was just us. However this time the service was worse, the soup horrible and the beef a mass of fat and gristle. I have the photo to prove it and it isnt good!

P8210404.JPG

I know rib can be fatty but this was really bad! In fact we didnt enjoy much of the food except the banana bread pudding. It was great.
I still have to think we were unlucky as 95% of people seem to love it but it wasnt for us. It was pretty noisy too. The cocktail was great though!

Maggs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter