Boardwalk or Wilderness Lodge??

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by erinm, Oct 1, 2009.

1. erinm

erinm Earning My Ears

I am planning my family's Disney vacation for June 2010 and trying to decide between Boardwalk or WL. We have stayed at WL and Beach Club on past trips and preferred WL over BC. My husband wants WL but I wanted to try a new resort. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. DVC~OKW~96

DVC~OKW~96 <font color=green>I'm not big on gold as a color.

Between those two? No contest. WL regardless of having stayed there before.

We totally dislike BWI/V for many reasons, from the seemingly often grumpy CMs, to the hike from the parking lot to the room (over a mile depending upon your room assignment) the shabbiness of the rooms, and overall resort (it's poorly built and has numerous construction issues) the horrid clown pool, the lack of internal restaurant... LOL. Shall I go on? :teeth:

Thank heaven Disney has something for everyone, eh? Keep in mind, of course there are loads of folks who really like the BW. We just aren't in that group. :teeth:

4. hstrickland

hstrickland Way Down South...

I'm like you...I like to try new resorts, too. Maybe you can show him pictures of the BW. As you know, DisBoards has tons of them. My husband loves WL, also, but after showing him picture after picture of the Poly, he finally gave in and that's where we are staying in May. Good luck! Hope you get to try the BoardWalk. Would like to try it myself one day.

5. Sammie

Sammie DIS Veteran

If you stayed at the BC and liked WL better I can't imagine you will like BW. Between BC and BW, the BC to me is the better choice.

So I would stick with what you know and like.

6. jpeka65844

jpeka65844 DIS Veteran

Do what we do: switch resorts halfway through. We usually stay at Boardwalk Villas on our Epcot and MGM days. Then off to Wilderness Lodge Villas for MK, AK days, and monorail loop days.

7. Wild4Walt

Wild4Walt DIS Veteran

I would choose WL also over BW. The lack of resturaunt inside the BW is only part of the reasons. ( If I have to go further than the lobby for a bagel it's not happenin' for me )

8. cbg1027

cbg1027 Florida Girl

I haven't stayed at either, but if you have kids under 12, I think they will enjoy WL much better.

My niece (8) and nephew (5) went for a weekend at WL with their grandparents. Nana reported to me that they had a hard time dragging the kids away from the resort to go to the MK! :rotfl:

9. GreenTeaFrappe

GreenTeaFrappe Earning My Ears

Stayed at both and the BC, far more impressed with the BC than with BW (though the BW is nice, don't get me wrong), but you really can't go wrong with WL. Both have good locations, and I do think it's nice being able to walk to Epcot, but WL is wonderful, and you already know you'll like it :) Have you considered doing a split-stay? Perhaps starting at the BW to try it out, then moving mid-trip to WL?

10. CR Resort Fan 4 Life

CR Resort Fan 4 Life DIS Veteran

I think both resorts are great in their own way and you can't go wrong no matter what you pick. So if you plan on spending more time at the Magic Kingdom go with the Wilderness Lodge, however if you plan on spending more time at Epcot and Hollywood Studios, go with the Boardwalk.

11. snappy

snappy <font color=deeppink>Survivor<br><font color="gree

Stayed at both multiple time, love both for different reasons. Last year we visited MK on the WL days and EPCOT and HS on the BW days, just like what was posted earlier.

And here i was thinking I was genius with coming up with that plan?

Don't tell my family, I have them thinking the same.

If you don't want to split the stay , choose by season of year. WL in the cold (?) weather months and BW in the spring and summer. Better make your reservation early though.

12. cvjw

cvjw DIS Veteran

I love all 3 resorts - we own DVC points at 2 of the 3. Both BW and WL are great resorts - I would choose based on whether I would be visiting MK more or Epcot/HS more. My boys are older, 13 and 10, so we tend to visit Epcot more, so BW would work better for us. If you plan on spending more time at MK, then WL is a better choice. I actually prefer WL's theming to BW's, but the ability to walk to Epcot and HS is priceless for my family!!! We just stayed at BW a couple of weeks ago, and were in a rehabbed room, and it was great.

13. snappy

snappy <font color=deeppink>Survivor<br><font color="gree

Any pictures of the rehabbed room at BW?

14. tgropp

tgropp DIS Veteran

Staying at different resorts is great. We try to do split stays. WL is my home resort and also favorite but if you stay at the Boardwalk and get a Boardwalk view, it is pretty impressive.

15. ThumperandLitenin

ThumperandLitenin Feeling the Magic Since 1971

Good post.

As a DVC owner at both VWL and BWV, I would have to agree it's all about location to the park you plan on spending the most time in.

I LOVE WL, been staying there for over ten years. It was our first DVC purchase, and my favorite resort. Until this spring, I had never given BW a second glance.

I've stayed previously at Beach Club, and loved the access to EPCOT and DHS. I always looked down at BW as kind of gaudy and dumpy. That is until we stayed there in February.

I loved the place! The grounds are beautiful, the location superb - our son loved the proximity to ESPN Zone. Once I got past the clown, the pool was exceptionally nice.

The whole lack of restaurant issue turned out to not be an issue for us as there are plenty of dining opportunities close by, and the fact we were staying in a one bedroom with a full kitchen made quick snacks a snap.

I know I am in the minority here, but having to walk a distance is no big deal to me. In fact, I really enjoy it. I could have valet parked, but I didn't find hiking out to the car and swinging by to pick-up my wife to be a problem.

We started looking for a good BWV resale as soon as we got back, and bought one this summer.

If the location works for you, give it a try.