boardwalk offer from from disney

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by Theaberdeenkid, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Theaberdeenkid

Theaberdeenkid Mouseketeer

All true, I thank you all for your grand advice. Not that I have money to burn but the couple of thousands between resale and buying direct won't hurt us if in the end it winds up that buying direct gives us no real advantage. I will just the buy resale from then on.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Official Ticket Center is Orlando’s #1 discount attraction ticket agency, selling millions of Walt Disney tickets around the world.

to hide this adverts.
  3. Theaberdeenkid

Wow that really wasn't meant like you took it. Believe me when I tell you that there was no sarcastic or malicious tone that was intended. It was a light hearted attempt to say Disney could do what ever they wanted but I'm sure they know there are limits on what they can do.

My apologies if it came off any other way.

4. Lynne M

Lynne M Moderator Moderator

It's not so much that DVC would do that, but DCL, ABD, and Disney Collection resorts are all independent entities that can change or end their participation in DVC as they choose. We've already seen that happening to some extent with DCL; they've limited the number of cruises/cabins available for points reservations, and even blocked out a stretch of several months in which they had no cruises available on points at all.

5. disneynutz

disneynutz DIS Veteran DIS Lifetime Sponsor

The limits aren't as much as most people think. Over the last 3 years DVC has had more changes than any other time in it's history.

Added fees for outside booking, change in banking rules, change in booking rules, change in exchange company, change in point charts, change in management, change in resale booking restrictions, and the list goes on.

:earsboy: Bill

6. disneynutz

disneynutz DIS Veteran DIS Lifetime Sponsor

I don't think that is as much of a issue as you think. Karl Holz
    President, New Vacation Operations, ABD and Disney Cruise Line is also the President of DVD/DVC. You would think that he would get us a good DCL/ABD deal.

:earsboy: Bill

7. Lynne M

Lynne M Moderator Moderator

Yeah, but those are two separate entities, with two separate budgets, and Karl has to answer for both of them. If it hurts his DCL numbers to give us a deal, he's not going to be giving us a deal.

I've had personal experience with sharply reduced numbers of cabins available on points twice in the last couple of years. I tried to book a cruise on points in Sept. of 2011, and was told by MS that there were no cabins on any cruise available on points until Oct of 2012. There was plenty of cash availability at that time.

8. KAT4DISNEY

KAT4DISNEY Glad to be a test subject

One other thing that I don't think has been pointed out is that 100 points will get you very little trading out. It sounds very good in the spiel but can be very shocking if you start looking at charts and how many points you need to do that.

If the idea is to add on resale anyway I'd start there instead. You can still do RCI, Club Cordial and Club Intrawest in addition to DVC resorts. Save the money now, see how it goes, and then if you really find a need to then add on direct. Once you own you can add on in as little as 25 point increments.

9. Theaberdeenkid

Hmm, good points., thanks

10. rillsung

rillsung DIS Veteran

The Boardwalk is our home resort and we finally get to stay there this coming trip! We bought BWV because of location... We will be able to walk to Epcot and the Studios. It's a good thing since a car rental this time is outrageous! It's $55/day which is about the cost of a meal for the family or at least DH and I together! We decided it's not worth it to get the car this time... It will be the first trip since having our first daughter that we are attempting no car. We also bought resale 2 years ago.

11. wishicouldgomoreofte

wishicouldgomoreofte Mouseketeer

To answer your original question, yes, owning at BWV will be great.
    It is beautiful, convenient, and the point value of standard view rooms can't be beat.
    I love being able to walk to Epcot & DHS from BWV.
    I think it would be a great place to own, and you will enjoy it very much.
    The buses really are miserable though. If you are going to aforementioned parks, going back to room to change and freshen up, rest, eat & drink, whatever, and then head back out again, is easy.

I found your concession stand remark funny.
    It did sound a little snarky, but not bad enough to flame you.
    I am glad you clarified it was not intended that way. Humor, or almost any remark, can be misunderstood on here.
    Welcome to the Disboards.

12. gray52

gray52 Mouseketeer

I am convinced that point-for-point, BWV is the best resort in all of DVC. Want to splurge and have a fantastic view? BW view. Overspent last year and need to skimp on a few points this year? Standard view. Strolling back from the parks and there's some late night entertainment. Rise early and take a stroll on the quiet boardwalk for a pastry. Oh... And an easy walk to Epcot and DHS. Such a great resort.

13. browniemtb

browniemtb DIS Veteran

Exactly! :thumbsup2

14. amypetecar

amypetecar DIS Veteran

Heres the real advantage to owning at boardwalk that took me 3 years to realize.....

The standard view rooms have nearly identical point values as old key west, widely know as the lowest cost rooms in dvc (except AKV value, but i hear those rooms are rare).

But you need the 11 month advantage to get them. You get all the advantages of the boardwalk location for around 10 points per night in a studio! (Varies by season of course). To put that in monetary terms, you could rent that standard room from the timeshare store for $12 per point for $120 per night including tax! How many people have you heard could stay at the boardwalk for $120 per night? By the way, most of the standard room views are just as nice if not better than the preferred views IMHO

15. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Tell that to the DISer who, as a guest of the BWV, wasn't permitted to park his/her car in the close parking lot and was told to park behind the Hess station...

16. GOOFY D

GOOFY D DIS Veteran

??? I'm sure there is an interesting story there...

17. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

18. dsanner106

dsanner106 DIS Veteran DVC Gold

bwv is our favorite hands down. 2 parks you can walk to is fantastic, we like the entertainers on the bw etc. We also own at akl and alternate vacations so we get a break from the action. We like food and wine fest and flower and garden so needed to own at bw to get access during those times. Had problems when we just had our akl points.
    Drew