Boardwalk - feel like you are in the Shining?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by bcrook, Jun 11, 2012.

1. sjs314

sjs314 "Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and

DH & I stayed at BWI for the first time in March and fell in love with it, but DH said about the Hallways reminding him of the Shinning also. I just told him we need to watch it right before we go back later this year.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. IDoDis

IDoDis Knows the password to get into the Moose Lodge

I said the same thing to DS when we were there last week (about the hallways reminding me of The Shining. Loved the decor!

4. tiink3rbella

tiink3rbella me0w~*

I am cracking up!! :rotfl::rotfl:

5. Sweettears

Sweettears 50 years of Disney and counting

Not entirely correct as well. There are two film versions of the Shining. The first with Jack Nicholson and a second version that Stephen King created because he was so unhappy with the original. The original film version cuts out a lot of important elements to the story. These were all reinstated in the 2nd version. The second version was indeed filmed at this hotel. There is a plaque in the lobby stating such.

6. mirage0306

mirage0306 DIS Veteran

This thread is hysterical. We just stayed at the Boardwalk and at one point my son and I got lost in the BWV side and all I could think of was the Shining. :lmao:

7. mansiongirl

mansiongirl Earning My Ears

the hallways at the boardwalk .. are not that long.. considering some of the other resorts on property. PLUS at the end of EACH, and in the MIDDLE, of the hallways are stairwells. If you go down them.. you wind up on the bottom floors near the pool and such.. and you dont really come to disney NOT to walk right? just saying.

8. cwt580

cwt580 DIS Veteran

the hotel in the movie is based the Stanely Hotel in estes park colorado....been there and that creeped me out.....

9. lindsroc

lindsroc DIS Veteran

This is too funny. It makes me want to stay there, and not want to stay there, all at the same time!

10. DznyCrzy11

DznyCrzy11 "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference wh

Yes, that's what it reminds me of!!!!!! We had looked at staying here before and love the location but when I saw the pool I changed my mind right away!! :lmao:

11. DisneyDetective

DisneyDetective DIS Veteran

I must admit it does look eerie! We stay at SSR every year so it's weird for me to get my head round it. When you get the elevator to go downstairs and you look to your right, all you see is one narrow walkway, does it not feel claustrophobic? :crowded:

12. Tarheel girl 1975

Tarheel girl 1975 Supposed Former Fastpass Hoarder

We stayed at BWI in 2009 and it definitely made us think of The Shining. I think it was amplified by the fact that we never saw anyone else in the hallways or while we were waiting for the elevator.

13. Hunnypaw

Hunnypaw Encinitas, CA

:lmao:too funny

14. garada3

garada3 DIS Veteran

Checking in to the Boardwalk on Thursday and I just set the DVR up to record the Shining today so we can watch it again before we go.

Perfect for Halloween!

:happytv:

15. Tarheel girl 1975

Tarheel girl 1975 Supposed Former Fastpass Hoarder

So I was listening to the WDW Today Podcast yesterday and even Len Testa mentioned The Shining when talking about BWI. Love it!

16. MUFFYCAT

MUFFYCAT <marquee behavior=alternate><font color=deeppink>S

I stayed there last year and didn't think the walk was very long. At least you're indoors in crappy weather. As much as I love the Polynesian running to your building in the rain stinks.

Talk about getting lost? My first time at the POP I had a room in the 80's section. It took me 20 minutes to find the lobby! With the big buildings I kept walking around in circles.

17. ThreeTinks

ThreeTinks Mouseketeer

We stayed at the Boardwalk in January and while I LOVED IT - I did find the hallways/elevators very confusing until I figured it out. On our first day I was trying to get to the lobby and ended up in some crazy hallway that didn't go anywhere :rotfl: I was kinda freaked out! I had to go back up to my room in the elevator and start over. However I admit I have zero sense of direction. Once I figured out the best way to the pool/boardwalk/lobby I never got lost again.

18. luvthemouse71

luvthemouse71 Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

Ha, this is a great post. It might make me more likely to stay here if it's creepy. I love horror movies and ghost stories. :lmao:

All it's missing is the animal topiaries and the maze..;)

19. cgattis

cgattis DIS Veteran

Um, YEAH...a portion of our running trail at work runs through these big hedges and I think of that maze every time!! No WAY am I ever running thru there in the snow! Maybe they should play up on that at Halloween and offer a "haunted hotel" experience....heck, we never get any sleep at Disney anyway!!! LOL!