BLT availability past summer?

koquinn

DIS Veteran
Due to a job change and some other financial issues, we are debating waiting on our DVC purchase as cash is tight at the moment. And, our next two trips we've planned (grand Cal in oct and a cruise in 10/13) aren't very amenable to the points we would buy now anyway. But, the CM told us BLT will sell out by summer. Is that true, or is that a scare tactic to get us to buy now? I know the price goes up if we wait, but we will save money if we don't have to finance, which we will if we do it now. We love BLT and definitely want that as our home resort, but with the plan to actually stay there next in 10/14 is there any sense in joining now?? Please help, really struggling with this decision!

I think everything is a scare tactic. Always. Here's a soft solution: ask if they'll sell you fewer points that you can afford now. I've been reading around these boards that many people are being allowed to buy in much less than 160 points. You can always add on later.

BLT is selling out but there will always be points available direct and resale.

I highly recommend that you stay at some of the DVC resorts before you go all in.

We bought into the BLT hype and for us, it is our least favorite resort. We own 5 home resorts and 26 contracts, vacation at WDW 2 or 3 times per year, and stay at all of the WDW resorts and VB every year.

:earsboy: Bill

BLT is selling out but there will always be points available direct and resale.

I thought once they were gone they're gone? They gave us the impression that unless you already have BLT as your home resort you can't buy points there.

I thought once they were gone they're gone? They gave us the impression that unless you already have BLT as your home resort you can't buy points there.

Nope, the first rule you have to remember about "guides" is that they work on commission. If you buy from them, they make money.

Second, you can still buy points from any of the resorts (even the "sold out" ones) from Disney. Disney gets contracts back from people who have forclosed on them, they can also exercise First Right of Refusal on resale contracts if someone wants to buy points from that resort.

But before you make any decision, you should really research the DVC resale market. You could save thousands of dollars vs. what you would spend on the same number of points through Disney.

But before you make any decision, you should really research the DVC resale market. You could save thousands of dollars vs. what you would spend on the same number of points through Disney.

Yeah, but there are disadvantages to that right? Like not being able to use the points on other stuff?

I think we are gonna have to wait and take our chances... I don't wanna but it just doesn't look good right now for making this big of a purchase. I hate the idea of paying interest on it too. Ugh.

Yeah, but there are disadvantages to that right? Like not being able to use the points on other stuff?

I think we are gonna have to wait and take our chances... I don't wanna but it just doesn't look good right now for making this big of a purchase. I hate the idea of paying interest on it too. Ugh.

The restrictions on resale contracts are that you cannot use your points at non-DVC Disney resorts or on Disney cruises, but most people agree these are not good values for your points. In almost every case, you'd be better off renting your points and using the cash to pay for those trips. For example, on another thread someone asked about using their points at POFQ and were told that it would cost 20-32 points per night. If you rented those points for $10 per point, you could get $200-$320 per night, which would pay for the moderate resort (which can be had for much less than that) plus your tickets.

It's a good idea to wait until you feel more financially secure to make a DVC purchase. It's a large purchase when it comes to the upfront cost. But it's also a 30-50 year commitment to pay maintenance fees plus the airefare, tickets and food on each trip you take each year. Financing a luxury purchase such as DVC is almost never a good idea.

It's a good idea to wait until you feel more financially secure to make a DVC purchase. It's a large purchase when it comes to the upfront cost. But it's also a 30-50 year commitment to pay maintenance fees plus the airefare, tickets and food on each trip you take each year. Financing a luxury purchase such as DVC is almost never a good idea.

I agree. You will feel better when about making your purchase when you feel more secure than buying now and having to worry about it or having the annual fees hanging over your head. This is something that you want to enjoy, not have it cause you headaches. Good luck in the process as you make your decision.

Ultimately, DVC points are best used for DVC stays. All the other options are not even guaranteed and can change at any minute. DCL prices are negotiated every year and they go up and up. RCI is the current company to trade with and even DVC members don't have access to all the RCI trades, just a limited number selected by Disney and RCI. You can get a much better stay in a DVC resort than a Disney hotel which would require more points.

So unless resales are only permitted to book at their home resort and that isn't the case, the best use for DVC points is still available to any DVC member.

I urge you to consider resale. BLT is going for $90 to $100 per point resale with most contracts less than $96.

Yes, there are the restrictions about using the points on a cruise or at a non-DVC Disney resort (like the Poly). If you research how many points it takes to go on a cruise or stay at someplace like the Poly, you'll probably decide you wouldn't do that anyway.

DVC heavily pitches using the points for things other than DVC stays but it's not the most economical use of points. If they did sell you on that you may want to do more investigating into what that really means (high cost, not always available, limited RCI resorts etc.). And if you were purchasing thinking you would do that you may want to consider buying only enough points for stays at DVC resorts and skip the idea of other uses - or only doing that as an odd trip or two, but not to do it consistently.

As another FYI - DVC sold 2,000 - 4,000 points last month each at VWL, BCV, BWV, HHI, VB and OKW and they have all been "sold out" for years. Sold out may mean that if you have a specific UY you want you might have to go on a waitlist for it. And it also means no discounts (not that BLT is discounted all that much now). But you'll still be able to buy direct if you determine that's best for you. And of course you could save a lot with resale.

Do not fret that you won't get BLT later because you will be able to either direct or resale. :thumbsup2

Due to a job change and some other financial issues, we are debating waiting on our DVC purchase as cash is tight at the moment. And, our next two trips we've planned (grand Cal in oct and a cruise in 10/13) aren't very amenable to the points we would buy now anyway. But, the CM told us BLT will sell out by summer. Is that true, or is that a scare tactic to get us to buy now? I know the price goes up if we wait, but we will save money if we don't have to finance, which we will if we do it now. We love BLT and definitely want that as our home resort, but with the plan to actually stay there next in 10/14 is there any sense in joining now?? Please help, really struggling with this decision!

There has been a lot of good advice posted. Take you time - there will always be availability especially on the resale market. It's a great sales technique to pull at your emotions. Let your head take control - if you've got financial concerns slow down - if you end up going the resale route - your budget will appreciate the savings. Good Luck!

The restrictions on resale contracts are that you cannot use your points at non-DVC Disney resorts or on Disney cruises, but most people agree these are not good values for your points. In almost every case, you'd be better off renting your points and using the cash to pay for those trips. For example, on another thread someone asked about using their points at POFQ and were told that it would cost 20-32 points per night. If you rented those points for $10 per point, you could get $200-$320 per night, which would pay for the moderate resort (which can be had for much less than that) plus your tickets.

all very well said. There is not any tangible disadvantage to buying re-sale; especially if you are open to renting unused points.

If you know you won't need your points for 2 years, don't buy a contract for 2 more years.
-You'll save 2 years worth of membership dues
-resale prices will most likely continue to drop over the next 2 years.
-resale prices for BLT in particular may drop more dramatically once the grand floridian DVC opens, thus giving members another monorail resort option.

There has been a lot of good advice posted. Take you time - there will always be availability especially on the resale market. It's a great sales technique to pull at your emotions. Let your head take control - if you've got financial concerns slow down - if you end up going the resale route - your budget will appreciate the savings. Good Luck!

Thanks! I think it's good to have had some time to think about this since we met with them Sun. We just aren't ready. I think the places we stay and the way we will vacation in the future aren't always going to be the same, and the savings doesn't seem worth the headache! I'll keep ya all posted but I think we will take our chances and sleep on this for awhile... Thanks all!

But, the CM told us BLT will sell out by summer. Is that true, or is that a scare tactic to get us to buy now?

I wouldn't say "scare tactic", but keep in mind that EVERYTHING your salesperson says to you from "hello" to "goodbye" and everything in between is geared towards getting you to buy right then and there. That's their job, and that's what they do.

I know the price goes up if we wait, but we will save money if we don't have to finance, which we will if we do it now.

So here's the thing that's going to make you happy...while direct prices continue to go up, resale prices continue to go down (for the most part). So the odds that a resale purchase will be lower next year are pretty good.

One other thing to consider that could save you money...if you only plan on going once every 2-3 years, buy 1/2 or 1/3 of the points you will need for that trip. That way you can bank year 1 points, use year 2 points and borrow from year 3 to stay at BLT once every three years. This also gives you the flexibility to vacation somewhere other than Disney on the off years. (Do I need to duck for suggesting a non Disney vacation?) :duck:

Good luck!

I wouldn't say "scare tactic", but keep in mind that EVERYTHING your salesperson says to you from "hello" to "goodbye" and everything in between is geared towards getting you to buy right then and there. That's their job, and that's what they do.

So here's the thing that's going to make you happy...while direct prices continue to go up, resale prices continue to go down (for the most part). So the odds that a resale purchase will be lower next year are pretty good.

One other thing to consider that could save you money...if you only plan on going once every 2-3 years, buy 1/2 or 1/3 of the points you will need for that trip. That way you can bank year 1 points, use year 2 points and borrow from year 3 to stay at BLT once every three years. This also gives you the flexibility to vacation somewhere other than Disney on the off years. (Do I need to duck for suggesting a non Disney vacation?) :duck:

Good luck!

It's not that we won't do a Disney vacation every year, but probably not a WDW one. We're doing GCL this year (which is substantially more points than the same room at BLT) and a cruise next year (which of course is insane for points). Not sure that we'll do WDW every year, which I think makes the whole idea of DVC less attractive, the more I think about it. Do almost all DVC vacations = WDW for you members??

It's not that we won't do a Disney vacation every year, but probably not a WDW one. We're doing GCL this year (which is substantially more points than the same room at BLT) and a cruise next year (which of course is insane for points). Not sure that we'll do WDW every year, which I think makes the whole idea of DVC less attractive, the more I think about it. Do almost all DVC vacations = WDW for you members??

Pretty much. We have no interest in HHI. We did a short stay at VB and decided we prefer the Gulf of Mexico over the Atlantic Ocean. We did stay at DL for cash on two trips (Paradise Pier hotel and Grand California hotel -before DVC was at DL). We have no interest in Hawaii. We did the DCL once, using points (and it was the only cruise we have been on) and it was a been there, done that for me. I get seasick and don't want to have to contend with medication not to get sick. Plus I don't care for the feeling of being confined to the ship for days.

But we do take other vacations - a trip to a cabin in the Ozarks for a week this summer. Yellowstone and Glacier National Park last summer. We just don't use our DVC points for those.

For the what it's worth category: I own at BCV and AKV's. We were strongly considering buying BLT. Glad I went there and stayed first. One trip and the facts became clear. The most expensive rooms are Magic Kingdom view. It's actually a parking lot view that does look out at MK. Who stays in their room each night to watch fireworks. It looked like the pool view rooms on the back side would be the best view as you can see the fireworks from many locations at BLT. Added more points at AKL. I know everyone has there "likes" but I am very satisfied with these two locations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter