Blissikins' Boo To You CBR Trip Oct. 2015! *Update Aug.5th - The Way To A Man's (Disney) Heart...*

Blissikins

Mouseketeer
It's booked!! :mickeyjum Yay!!

My DH and I were originally looking to travel the last week in October-first week in November to really get into the Halloween vibe, but as that clashed with the schools being off, it was an extra £1000 ($1500?-ish). :crazy2:

Soo...Our carefully laid plans were instantly rearranged to the start of October! That just goes to show what my careful over-planning gets me, weeks of research and poring over brochures and websites, plotting the perfect trip, and our actual trip was booked after a quick conversation sat in the travel agency. Typical!

Last time we stayed off-property on International Drive, which was perfectly nice, but there were so many offers advertised for Disney hotels, we thought we'd take them up on it.

We are staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort, Oct. 5-19th, with quick-service DDP (the actual package was hotel, 14 day for the price of 7 day tickets, "free" DDP, and $100 Disney Dollars). We have also added a car rental as we plan to go to Universal and Kennedy Space Centre and a couple of other places (like the beach! Last trip we were in the car on the way to the airport home before I realised I hadn't even set foot on a Florida beach!).

We will be doing MNSSHP at least once. Is it worth doing more than once if you don't have kids? I have a LOT of outfit ideas, I don't know if I can narrow it down to just one night! Having seen the photos/videos of this year's, we won't be spending any of our party money on the Universal Studios Halloween party because I'm a giant fraidy cat, so that made us wonder about doing MNSSHP more than once.

Any tips or insider info on CBR would be greatly appreciated! Are any areas better to request if you have your own vehicle? Most sites seem to recommend rooms based on the close proximity to bus stops, but hopefully we won't be using the buses too much (sorry bus-lovers...I'm a monorail fan if that helps!).

Let the countdown begin! :cheer2:

The Cast
EpcotFavourite.jpg

One of my favourite pictures from our last trip. :love:

Me: 31 this year, I work in retail and love crafts and all things Disney (and especially when the two combine!). This will be my second trip to WDW. My first trip was in 2012, after 25 years of being desperate to go there! It lived up to every expectation, and we spent the plane journey home plotting our next trip. I'm the Disney-obsessed one, the photographer, and also the trip planner. DH jokes that I work to a strict "No Sleeping In Disney" policy, and I can't understand leaving the parks in the middle of the day to go swimming when you can swim at home. (OK, I understand that with kids that's the sensible option...I just can't imagine ever doing it!). My costume for MNSSHP will be a "little town" Belle outfit that I had made for our local Comic-Con this year.

10649821_10152461889059635_4363827405913446161_n_zps790fe11d.jpg

My "Book Bag", and the Pop Vinyl version of me that we found at Comic-Con!

DH: 33 this year, works in IT/Tech Support, and always travels with a half-empty suitcase which is just one more reason why I love him (SHOPPING!!). DH had already been to WDW/DL numerous times before we met. At Disney he tends to follow in my wake, occasionally but not always muttering about how I am trying to kill him through blisters and sleep deprivation (not true!). He loves Marvel, Star Wars and teasing me about the time he caught me reading an article about where the best bathrooms were in WDW (I will never live that one down!). For our first trip together he told me to write down everything I'd ever wanted to do at Disney, and we'd try and work through it all. :hug: We got most of the things on the list, including trying a Mickey bar, riding the carousel, Dumbo and IASW, and watching the fireworks, balloon in hand (though I amended my request from a Mickey balloon like I'd always seen in the adverts to a flashing Tink balloon). We even managed to sneak in some off-property wishes, like a dolphin tour at SeaWorld. DH's costume for MNSSHP is undecided (and, if it's up to him, non-existant! He will be going as A Tourist Dragged To MNSSHP By His Wife :rotfl2: ).

Originally we were going to be travelling with friends and renting a villa off-property, but life and babies got in the way (but they are adorable, and so instantly forgiven :) ) so once again it's just the two of us.

Boo to YOU, Major Bump In The Road...Is Our Trip Over Before It's Begun?!

This third post was meant to be sharing some of our "Disney To-Do List" and plans with you all. But at the moment that might be more of a wish list...

DH's place of work has refused his application for leave for our WDW trip! :sad:

So at the moment, everything is up in the air. We need to go and talk to the travel agent this weekend and see what they recommend we do. We could wait for a while and see if he gets a new job (he is actively looking already) which would mean that everything could (hopefully) stay booked as it is. I can't seem to find out which policy would be followed (Disney's, travel company, or 3rd party travel agency we booked through), so it looks like we would lose anywhere from £500-900 to rearrange/cancel, plus we'd picked the cheapest two weeks around that time, so the price would increase too if we were to change dates.

Not the update I'd hoped to share with you all, hopefully this isn't the end of the road for our trip. :confused3

Oh noes! I hope that you can save your trip! We'll be at CBR from 9/30-10/10. Anxiously waiting to see what happens!

Sorry I haven't checked in for a while...We have some good news at last! Thank goodness!! :worship:

DH signed the papers on a new job this week, starting next month! Woohoo! Now, they haven't actually discussed holidays yet, but the standard policy is to honour any holidays already booked before starting a new job, so we are more than hopeful that we can go ahead as planned. Yay!

I should add at this point, no I didn't make him find a new job just because the old one messed with my WDW plans!!

Oh noes! I hope that you can save your trip! We'll be at CBR from 9/30-10/10. Anxiously waiting to see what happens!
Yay! We should be there at the same time! :) DisMeet! :chat:

Sorry I haven't checked in for a while...We have some good news at last! Thank goodness!! :worship:

DH signed the papers on a new job this week, starting next month! Woohoo! Now, they haven't actually discussed holidays yet, but the standard policy is to honour any holidays already booked before starting a new job, so we are more than hopeful that we can go ahead as planned. Yay!

I should add at this point, no I didn't make him find a new job just because the old one messed with my WDW plans!!

Yay! We should be there at the same time! :) DisMeet! :chat:

WOOT! :woohoo: Glad to hear some good news! I hope that the new job will honor vacation plans! My DH started a new job last year and they allowed him to take time off without pay so he could go last October. Fingers crossed your DH will get time off, too! :goodvibes

I'll meet you pool side! :thumbsup2

I'll meet you pool side! :thumbsup2

Definitely! :) I've already made myself promise that I will use the pool at least once. Last year we stayed off-property but I made a big point of buying a new swimsuit and getting excited about having three pools...Which I didn't even dip a toe in! When I had the choice of a swimming pool or Magic Kingdom...well I can swim at home! :fish:Having seen the pool at CBR though, I definitely want to test it out!

Definitely! :) I've already made myself promise that I will use the pool at least once. Last year we stayed off-property but I made a big point of buying a new swimsuit and getting excited about having three pools...Which I didn't even dip a toe in! When I had the choice of a swimming pool or Magic Kingdom...well I can swim at home! :fish:Having seen the pool at CBR though, I definitely want to test it out!

The pool at CBR is great! I've not personally been in it ... as I tend to spend my time over in the Pirate Splash area with my youngest (which now, I have a different youngest to hang with). However, my older kids LOVE the pool! I posted some pictures on my PTR of the pool. I'll be posting more CBR pics as I write. There are TWO SLIDES! The kids loved having the option of the slides in 2012. My DD13 would use whichever one her little brother wasn't using and vice versa. :lmao:

I was always in the mindset that we could swim at home ... but last year, we spent so much time at the pool (and in the parks), that it made the trip different, but nice. We have two full days of relaxing, so we'll have pool time for sure on those days. The other days will be hit and miss. I'm going to let the kids call a lot of the shots (as long as it doesn't interfere with must do items and ADRs). I know they'll want a lot of pool time. I'm hoping the baby will overcome his fear of water to enjoy the Pirate Splash area. I really loved kicking back and relaxing while the littles play. :cloud9:

Meet Our New Travel Companion!

Wow, it's been a while! Sorry about that! I can't believe when we booked this trip we had almost a year to go, and now we are only 5mo away, give or take a couple of days!

So, what's happened since my last update?

Well, first I have to introduce to you to my planning comrade and travel companion! No, not DH. The one and only Caribbean Amphibian himself...

IMG_20150502_195913_zpsxaznvbse.jpg

Hi-ho!! It's Caribbean Kermit! (please excuse the state of my laptop...It's spent a bit too long in my craft "workshop"!).

Ever since we booked at CBR I have been torturing DH with (I mean, treating to) this video:

So when I realised that I still had Kermit hanging around from when he accompanied our copy of "The Muppets" on DVD, I had to get him his own little holiday shirt to come with us (assuming there's room in the case!). I think he might have rickets, but as long as he remains seated at all times those bandy legs shouldn't be a problem!

So what else is new?

I've spent a lot of time updating my new craft pages and Etsy shop, as well as making lots of things to fill it up, and doing a few craft fairs as well.

10423854_626347324138165_5215382155174483016_n.png

As you can see my love of Disney spreads into my crafting quite a lot! I'm hoping to make a little extra spending money for our trip, so hopefully my summer craft fair stalls will pay off!

DH started his new job. :) Finally out of the old place and into somewhere (we hope!) nicer. Which means...

...We are officially back to our original dates! :jumping1:So the planning and reservation-making can now start officially.

To celebrate I treated myself to a calendar page and some new highlighters (I'm easily pleased!).

IMG_1639_zpswmtcfk7k.jpg

Oh, and a little light reading to go with them.

IMG_20150414_153043_edit_zpsw1c9vf0f.jpg

I still have my 2012 copy from our last trip, but I'm keen to read up on New Fantasyland and all the changes since our last visit!

Last time we went to WDW, I did a little reading up on what was on offer before we went and decided that we should start our holiday with a trip to DTD and dinner at T-Rex. Well me being a Disney newbie (and not really using DISboards back then) I had no idea that we would not be able to just walk right in and get a table. So we ended up with Pollo Campero and Ghiradelli's (and a late night jet-lagged caffeine-and-sugar-fuelled romp through World of Disney which I only remembered three days later when I tried on the same ear hat in the same place and had a weird deja vu moment).

Well that was NOT going to happen again this time. OK, the romp through WoD may very well happen again, I'm only human, but I'm not missing out on my Pork-a-Saurus again! Which brings me to the first reservation of our trip which I made the other day: T-Rex, on our arrival evening! :yay: Unfortunately the only reservation that they had left that evening was at 9:30pm, but I plan on having a hamper delivered to the room for our arrival, so we can have a snack. I'm liking the look of this one:

GB0009_dt.jpg

They're expensive but what the heck, we've never stayed at a Disney resort before, I fancy splashing out a little!! Plus that tote will make a lovely work bag when I get home.

We should land mid-afternoon and are hiring a car, so as soon as we've picked that up and programmed the sat-nav we will be on our way to CBR. We will have plenty of time to rest, shower, unpack and maybe explore the resort a little before we head off to catch the bus to DTD for dinner.

Last time we had the best of intentions that we were going to use the free buses every day to Disney parks, and just use the car for shopping, Kennedy Space Center, Universal, etc. Well that was before we stayed off property and realised that their buses only came a couple of times per morning/evening. We ended up driving every day to every Disney park and spending a fortune on parking. :rolleyes2 This time we plan on trying to use the buses much more. It will mean DH can have an alcoholic drink if he wants one (Food & Wine Festival! Yay!!), and will probably get us to the parks a bit earlier as well, as if I know I'm travelling on my own time rather than catching public transport I take twice as long to get ready!

Why are we hiring a car for two weeks when we plan to use the buses? Long story short, I'm funny that way. I like to know that I can get somewhere under my own steam if I need/want to without relying on public transport. Plus it seemed far too much hassle to hire a car only for the days we planned on doing Universal/shopping/Kennedy/maybe Tampa/the beach. I've driven since I was 17, I can't handle the idea of not having a vehicle at my disposal! Plus last trip we ended up with quite a few emergency trips to Walmart/CVS when we'd returned from the parks for the night (aftersun cream, cheap bottled water, shampoo, cookies, jet-lagged and couldn't sleep, heard about a sale on OPI nail polishes...the usual holiday "emergencies").

This is where I will drive you super-organised planners nuts. I might have a calendar page, but I don't tend to go overboard with the day-to-day planning. If I wake up and it's baking hot, I don't want to go to Animal Kingdom and mooch around with very little shade just because The Plan says I should be there! I want to make a few reservations, but we need some days completely free for Universal, Kennedy Space Centre , etc.

This is what I have so far:

Monday: Fly to Florida! Dinner at T-Rex at 9:30pm. Checking in and getting our bearings.
Tuesday: Magic Kingdom!! MK to me is WDW. The other parks are just a bonus! We started last year with a day at MK, and that's the plan this year too.
Wednesday:
Thursday: EMH at Epcot in the evening, so I'm thinking F&WF booths for dinner and close the day in Epcot. Where we will start the day I don't know!
Friday: I am thinking MNSSHP today. The plan is to book tickets for one MNSSHP in the first week we're away, before we fly. Then if we like it, book another for the second week while we are there.
Saturday:
Sunday:
Monday:
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday:
Saturday:
Sunday:
Monday: Home time :worried: We will end as we started, with one last morning at MK before heading to the airport. EMH is 8-9am at MK today, so we will hopefully be there in time for one last rope drop at least!

So lots of completely empty days to fill up! :)

Joining in. Congrats on your Husbands New Job and I love the Carribbean Kermit.

I'm here to follow along!! I LOVE reading TR's...but especially when they are people coming from the UK! You are all so lucky it seems with so much vacation time and long trips to WDW!! We are going to be there at the same time as you from Oct 8-14! But staying at POFQ. I can NOT imagine how awesome it would be to stay on Disney property for two whole weeks!! I look forward to hearing more about your plans. We are going to MNSSHP on October 9th so maybe I will see you there! I would love to see your costume ideas too...trying to think of costumes for me and my DD (age 9) that are comfortable for park touring but also look good.... Also...where do you order a hamper from? I love that idea!!!

Joining in. Congrats on your Husbands New Job and I love the Carribbean Kermit.
:welcome: Thank you! I'm sure you will see a lot more of Caribbean Kermit along the way! He's a lot less camera shy than DH! :) I had a peek at your Etsy shop, you have some lovely items!

I'm here to follow along!! I LOVE reading TR's...but especially when they are people coming from the UK! You are all so lucky it seems with so much vacation time and long trips to WDW!! We are going to be there at the same time as you from Oct 8-14! But staying at POFQ. I can NOT imagine how awesome it would be to stay on Disney property for two whole weeks!! I look forward to hearing more about your plans. We are going to MNSSHP on October 9th so maybe I will see you there! I would love to see your costume ideas too...trying to think of costumes for me and my DD (age 9) that are comfortable for park touring but also look good.... Also...where do you order a hamper from? I love that idea!!!
:welcome: We get 21-28 days annual leave in general, depending on where you work. I always think it would be a bit of a long trip to just go for a week! For us it's about a 9.5hr flight. I can't imagine how awesome it will be to be in a Disney hotel for that long either! I've never even visited a Disney hotel before, so it will be quite an experience, I'm sure! We debated POFQ, but CBR was the cheapest hotel that got us the deal we wanted, so CBR it is! I did like the look of Sassagoula Floatworks though and I love the Mardi Gras decor there, so we will probably nip over for a beignet or two one day!

I'm planning on going to MNSSHP as Belle from Beauty and the Beast. My friend who owns a costume shop made me this outfit (complete with MASSIVE hair bow!) for a comic-con we went to last summer, and I made the book purse. I picked this outfit because the cotton dress will (hopefully!) be nice and cool in the Florida heat! I can't wait to sit on the fountain outside Gaston's Tavern for some photos! I am yet to persuade DH to dress up as my sheep friend though! :rotfl:

10429301_693526097382835_1935980916350069882_n.jpg

The hamper is from here http://www.disneyfloralandgifts.com/home.html I'd seen it advertised a few times on the Disney Blog and various websites. They do cheaper options right through to (IMO) ridiculously expensive ones!

OMG I love your costume!! That is so cool!! And it will be amazing to be in a Disney hotel for two whole weeks!!! You're right though...9.5 hours is a long way to travel for less than that!!

OMG I love your costume!! That is so cool!! And it will be amazing to be in a Disney hotel for two whole weeks!!! You're right though...9.5 hours is a long way to travel for less than that!!

Thank you!! :D I went online the other day and hit up a sale for some cute accessories to go with it. I now have a Mrs Potts:
disney-couture-mrs-potts-charm-2.jpg

...and a Chip!
p1170871.jpg

(holy huge photos, Batman?!)

I think I will put them on a bracelet, as I already have plans to make the magical rose for my necklace.

The Disney To Do List!

I don't really have much of an update at the moment (so why are you writing one then...?!). So far I have given up on ADRs for a while as we don't have many set days, and those that we have set, everywhere we want to go is full! That'll teach me for wanting to go to Be Our Guest! We'll get in somehow so I'm not too worried, it would have been nice to have it guaranteed though!

I only realised the other day that our first weekend at WDW is Columbus Day weekend. I'm guessing this will make it hellishly busy, but from what I can tell Disney doesn't actually do anything special for it? From looking through the Disney Parks Blog they don't seem to do anything big for it anyway!

In the absence of anything else interesting, I thought I'd share some of our "Disney Bucket List" for this trip with you. Looking over it, most of it is food we want to try! Yes, I do follow the Disney Food Blog!

Ride The Mountains. Can you believe that on our last trip we didn't ride a single ONE of the mountains?! Big Thunder was down for maintenance our whole trip, Splash was broken every time we had a FP for it, Everest was a 120min queue (and we only did AK for one day), and Space, I don't know what happened! But this trip, we have to do all four.
One Man's Dream. I only found out about OMD after we got home from WDW, and I was so sad I'd missed it!
Magic of Disney Animation. I love art, so this will be great fun!
Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. SO excited to do this, I can't wait! DH wasn't convinced until I showed him photos online of other people's hauls from trick-or-treating!
Test Track. Another one we missed last time. We even stopped to watch the entertainers outside, and still didn't go in.
Keys To The Kingdom Tour. I would LOVE to do this, even though it's 5hrs long! I'll be honest, we are in two minds about whether or not to go to Seaworld this year (went last year and loved it but put off by recent media), so if we don't go there the money would probably go on a KTTK tour. DH is a little "meh" about it, but I'm pretty certain he would enjoy it when we got there!
Hoop-de-Doo Review. DH is a picky eater but this is one dinner experience/show that I know would suit him!
Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Buffet. Fireworks. Dessert. No further explanation necessary! :)

And treats I/we want to sample!
Beaches & Cream - Kitchen Sink DH LOVES ice cream challenges.
Sleepy Hollow - Nutella Waffle Sandwich
Tie-Dye Cheesecake
Croissant Berry Pudding Sunshine Seasons
Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake (Liberty Tree Tavern)
Sadly LTT is closed for the duration of our visit. Sounds like a good excuse for another trip to me! ;)
Boardwalk Bakery
Sci-Fi Diner
Barbecued Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese Min and Bill’s Dockside Diner DHS
Pork BBQ/Poutine Waffle Fries - Golden Oak Outpost
Hawaiian Shaved Ice at Kona Island Sushi Bar

Any of your favourites that we've missed? Any recommendations for us to try?

Love your Belle Costume it is gorgeous.

I love the school bread in Norway. I am honestly not a huge sweets person. I tend to found alcohol instead while in Epcot.

Great Bucket list!! You will be there at the same time as us - we are Oct 8-14. I was worried when I heard it was Columbus day too (we are from Canada and here that weekend is Thanksgiving, which is why it is a good time for us to vacation) But anyway...I check out the crowds on easywdw.com and doesn't seem too bad. And also people around here said Columbus day isn't that big a deal at Disney. So I'm not too worried about it. That's the only time we can go anyway...so be it.

You will love the HDDR. I went in March with DD and we had so much fun. Also, I loved the food. I could have eaten just the salad and cornbread for dinner it was so good. Oh and the strawberry shortcake. The fried chicken and ribs and corn were all good too though!!

Where do you get the Tie Dye Cheesecake? I may have to add that to my list!

Love your Belle Costume it is gorgeous.

I love the school bread in Norway. I am honestly not a huge sweets person. I tend to found alcohol instead while in Epcot.

Thank you! :) I had such fun wearing it at our local Comic-Con, a little girl even asked to have a photo with me, I felt like a real Princess! princess:

I forgot all about school bread! I've heard so many people talk about it (I adore the Frump trip reports and it always gets a mention there!). Added to the list! :)

Great Bucket list!! You will be there at the same time as us - we are Oct 8-14. I was worried when I heard it was Columbus day too (we are from Canada and here that weekend is Thanksgiving, which is why it is a good time for us to vacation) But anyway...I check out the crowds on easywdw.com and doesn't seem too bad. And also people around here said Columbus day isn't that big a deal at Disney. So I'm not too worried about it. That's the only time we can go anyway...so be it.

You will love the HDDR. I went in March with DD and we had so much fun. Also, I loved the food. I could have eaten just the salad and cornbread for dinner it was so good. Oh and the strawberry shortcake. The fried chicken and ribs and corn were all good too though!!

Where do you get the Tie Dye Cheesecake? I may have to add that to my list!

That's good to know, I was worried it would be really super-busy! I hoped Disney at least did something for it, I like being places for special days (I was lucky enough to be in Canada for Canada Day one year, that was awesome!!). Oh well! Never mind!

I was a bit wary about the HDDR as the only TRs I'd seen it in were family (adults AND kids) reports, and we're just a "family of two", but since then I've seen a couple of mentions of it in couple TRs and they had a great time too.

The Tie Dye Cheesecake is from Pop Century, red velvet cake base with (very!) multi-coloured cheesecake! When I saw it I knew I had to try it! I used to get teased as a kid for my love of tie-dye and rainbow colours, so this is perfect for me!

Hi! :wave:

Still no major updates to report, just debating various ADRs and trying to get my 16-digit "Disney code" to tie my booking to my app! All fun and games!

I wasn't going to post, but I had to share with you DH's comments from tonight...

DH: "Work was so boring today. Do you know how BORED I was at work today? Do you want to know what I did?"
Me: "How bored? What did you do?"
DH: "I was SOOOOOOOOOOO bored, I went on DISboards. I read a seven-page thread of tips. Seven pages. I even Googled what 'Bodyglide' is. I read tips about putting pantyliners in your shoes as insoles. THAT'S how bored I was. I was holiday-planning-level-bored. Then I read a 'What's your best Disney secrets' thread...But I have no idea what an ADR is. I haven't cracked the codes yet...Yet..."

:rotfl2: He cracks me up. The desperate levels of boredom one must sink to, to take an interest in Walt Disney World. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter