Black Friday Buddies 2011 Unite!

I will never do Wal Mart again after last night. It was a mad house (although not as mad as what some of you have posted! :scared1:) I managed to get the 1600 piece Lego set and two of the $6.88 Rubbermaid sets which is all I really went there for! The fact that they had aisles taped off and pallets of stuff jamming every aisleway really made it horrible. I also think they let too many people in the store at once. You could barely move. I went home after that and got everything I wanted from TRU and Kohls online with free shipping. I think I'll stick to that strategy for next year!

So the final tally:
Amazon.com
Wall mount for TV Tilt $15
(I've seen these for about $60 regularly that don't tilt. So saved $45?)
Also received $1 credit for MP3s for no rush shipping.

Walmart - Time spent inside (about 1-1:30min)
Ants in the Pants Game $4
3 Girls Disney Shirts $3 each, 2 Heavy Disney PJs $5 each
2 Cami/Undies for Me $5
DVD Horton Hears A Who $2

Total Spent $37 (Saved at least $22)

Macy's (Time spent: 30 minutes outside, 20 inside)
Microwave $20 after mail-in rebate
Saved: $30

Target (Time spent: 15 minutes)
1 Full Jersey Sheet, 1 Full Flannel Sheet, 2 Twin Jersey Sheets $17 each.
Total: $72 (-$25 in gift cards. $10 from sun-wed vacuum deal and $15 from lego gift cards) Spent $47.
Saved $28

Total Saved all night $125.

Will probably run out to pennys, kmart, old navy & five below later. Estimate spending $100. Savings $70?

Well I did Walmart last night. Went to the store at 5PM to get the kinect bundle. They had 43 in stock and I was number 2 in line WAHOO!! So I was able to get it. What made me angry is all the 10PM stuff was being picked open by 7PM when we saw folks walking by w/ carts full of the items. Finally around 830 the manager came on and said...just to open them and load up your carts. So I did get everything I went in for. The game, games for it, the subscription card for it and the paper jamz guitar. It wasnt bad at all...super crowded is an understatement. We had to go to the back of the store to pay for our Xbox, but then go to the front of the store to do check out. So even though I got my game at 10PM I wasnt out of the store until midnight.
The thing that makes me laugh though is the folks that show up at 9PM or later for something that goes on sale at 10 (big ticket item) but then get mad cause the person working there says there are already enough people in line. What makes me angry...Not having a register specifically set up for folks that are buying the big ticket items. That doesnt make sense to me. And lastly opening up on Thanksgiving. I mean its called Black Friday not Black November.. I hope next year that the companies go back to the old ways and start opening up at 5AM, I miss the nap time :)
Sorry to everyone who had a horrible experience. And for the lady in LA w/ the pepper spray..shame on you!!

I know! We drove by there at about 8:00 and I could NOT believe it. I think it might be partially because it's so nice out this year. You'll have to tell me how Target was. We went for the 10pm stuff at Walmart and the parking all the way over to Home Depot was packed as well as at all the stores across the street!

(elgerberger and I are from the same town.)

We just got the $30 set of Legos. On my own I probably would have wandered a bit but DH was ready to get out of there. We contemplated Gamestop to get our boys the refurb DSi's but he decided he'd rather take money out of his bonus and pay the regular price. LOL

I actually tried to go to Best Buy about 1:20 after we left Target, and the line was still on the sidewalk back to the Goodwill!!!! Yeah, no thanks. I had to laugh though, McDonalds was packed! The drive thru line was almost out to the street.

I got to Target (went to Rogers) at 10. They started the line at the left doors by electronics. I got in line almost at the right side doors. The line was filled with chairs, so while it was a large line, it condensed when the chairs went away. By midnight the line was all the way down Target, through the parking lot and at the end of Applebees!!!!!! And of course there were the crowds of people showing up at 11:55 that didn't feel they needed to line up and could just stand and wait near the doors. Yeah, good luck.
It was incredibly organized, they had barricades along the entire front of the store, so you couldn't even get to that door unless you went in the line behind the barracades. They let in 30 at a time, waiting 15-20 seconds and let in 30 more.
All the Ipods, Kindles, stuff like that were locked in electronics and you had to get in a separate line for that, and that was the only way to get them. It took a little while to get through that line, but I got the Kindles I needed, and could have still gotten Ipads, Ipods or netbooks if I wanted them.
We drove to Kohls after and took one peek in the doorway from the car, and said NO WAY! So after we then drove to Best Buy and saw people still waiting to get in we just went home.
All in all it was good, and I got what I wanted.
Being 54 degrees made a huge difference though, I don't think I could have stood out there for 2 hour if it was 15 like last year.

I don't think they will go back to early morning Friday openings, I have NEVER seen so many people out an about when the stores open at 6. It was like a crazy rush hour driving around at 1 am.

I will never go to Walmart on Black Friday again!

I don't know how everyone else feels about starting at 10pm but I really believe it just contributed to the chaos. Our store had tons of teenagers there just to "hang out". Several were friends of my sons and I know they weren't there to spend money. ;) When the stores open at 4 or 5am it's really just the dedicated shoppers that will get up and go that early.

I was crazy enough to go just for sheets. They were on the other end of the store from what the map said so...nope didn't get the sheets. I talked to someone that went to another store and they had a giant chip display fall. She said there were several people on the ground and one guy broke his finger and hurt his knee.

$20 sheets are not worth it!

Target's line was wrapped around the building 1 1/2 hrs before opening. The only think I wanted was the Nikon camera and I was able to order that online Thursday morning so we just went home and went to bed. My DH and I went about 10 this morning and still managed to buy another of the Nikons and the $139 Xbox that people had decided not to buy and left of shelves throughout the store. :thumbsup2

I'm still shaken over my experience at Walmart last night. I actually have a couple of bruises from being hit by carts.

Taping up the aisle and not allowing people to pass was like locking fire doors. I begged an employee to pass, just so I could escape, and he wouldn't let me. People were actually climbing over the shoe aisles to get by! I've NEVER seen anything like this.

I will never, never, never go to BF Walmart again! Way too dangerous a situation to get a few cheap items. I wasn't even there for the doorbusters.

All in all, I did very well. I refuse to get involved in Walmart/Target fiascos so I'm sure that helped.

Hit: $15 jeans at Old Navy
Miss: Silly me didn't realize they were giving wrist bands for the free camera package so I missed out on that deal.:rolleyes:

Kohls:
Hit: Did most of my shopping there online since some wonderful DISer shared a code for 20% off. I got everything I wanted plus another 20% off that I wouldn't have gotten in the store, free shipping and$30 in Kohls bucks. SCORE!:thumbsup2
Miss: None

Home Depot:
Hit: Martha Stewart Christmas Tree originally $250--on sale $200;.99 cent poinsettias--got 5 of them.
Miss: Went to check out the tree that was on sale for $49 hoping I'd like it, but I didn't.

Walgreens:
Hit: 3 $10 itunes cards with free $10 Walgreens gift card; batteries: On sale for $3.99--buy 1 get 2 free.
Miss: none

Staples: This was the major thing I wanted for DD. Store opened at 6--I got there around 5:40 and there was a line already formed although not huge. Got out of the car just in time to get my ticket then went back into my warm car to wait until 6.
Hit: Strolled in, was first in line to get my Nook Color ($199) with free $25 gift card and was back out in 5 minutes.
Miss: None although I have to do something online for my gift card.

BJ's: Wasn't planning on going here, but drove by just as they were opening so walked in with the crowd.
Hit: Sansui 32" LCD for $199. We needed a TV for our bedroom and were looking for something a little smaller than that, but at that price I thought I'd sacrifice.;)
Miss: So exhausted by this time, didn't get a chance to look around at anything else.

DS went out at midnight with his buddy to Best Buy. He was trying for the 24" TV for $79--no dice. He did score a Sony Blu-Ray player--forget how much he paid though--and got a couple of movies cheap.
So...hit: Blu-Ray player and movies
Miss: TV

So I'm pretty happy with the deals I got. Now to go balance the checkbook.....:scared1:

I will never do Wal Mart again after last night. It was a mad house (although not as mad as what some of you have posted! :scared1:) I managed to get the 1600 piece Lego set and two of the $6.88 Rubbermaid sets which is all I really went there for! The fact that they had aisles taped off and pallets of stuff jamming every aisleway really made it horrible. I also think they let too many people in the store at once. You could barely move. I went home after that and got everything I wanted from TRU and Kohls online with free shipping. I think I'll stick to that strategy for next year!

I hate Wal Mart and I say this every year.... but being the last minute shopper that I am Wal Mart tends to be where I end up.... It is always the same insane asylum every year....

Going to do the outlets next year I swear :)

-M

Wal-Mart was crazy last night! A mobhouse. People were filling their carts with the cheapo waffle makers and food choppers. I saw someone with about 50 choppers in one cart!

I got a memory foam bathmat but couldn't even get NEAR any of the other sale items.

People were also insane, running through the aisles pushing shopping carts with one hand while talking on the phone with the other. One lady came plowing towards me with her cart and I had to actually grab her cart to stop her from hitting me. I stopped it within ONE inch of my feet, and said "Careful! Stop!!!" and she just laughed.

I do BF every year and NEVER go to Walmart, it's not worth it. It seems to attract a group of people I try to avoid! :scared: And I live less than a mile from a very nice one! :laughing:

I did Walmart ONLINE, Target, Big Lots, Radio Shack and CVS and I'm literally almost done with my shopping. :thumbsup2 No mobs, no craziness, and I'm tired but exhilarated. :cloud9:

Time for Thanksgiving leftovers! :cool1:

The early midnight openings did not work out well for me at all. Here is what I felt went wrong for me (or right for the stores). I've been doing BF for YEARS. I'm a hardcore BF shopper :) The midnight openings and earlier brought out the 'regulars'...people who were up watching the 11 o'clock news and decided to try out BF for the first time because midnight was more appealling. The lines at the stores were the worst I've EVER seen. WAY too many newbies!

I did TRU and waited 2 hours to check out. Got some great deals though! I then went over to Kohls...lines to check out again were over 2 hours. Target's lines were pushing 3 hours to check out. I gave up and went home. I was prepared for an hour or 1.5 hours to check out as always but these newbies ruined it! :rotfl:

I got 5 hours sleep, went back out and voila! Lines were down to 20 minutes at all the stores I needed and everything I needed was still available and on sale at the same price as 6 hours earlier :) Lesson learned- if this new concept of BF continues next year, skip the midnight openings. Wake up at 5am and the lines and major crowds will be over.

We headed out last night around 11pm. Went to Target and waited in a long line to get in, but people were happy and we had fun. They let people in 30 at a time to keep it from going crazy. It was so fun - as people came out with their big TV's and stuff we would all cheer - so funny! When we went in, there were workers there to guide you to certain lines for the big electronic stuff. DH parked with a cart, and I zipped through the store. Got our Xbox, Kinect, xbox card thing, extra controller, dont break the ice, memory game, Beezus and Ramona, fire pit, Misty DVD, cooking mama DS, gardening mama DS, how to train your dragon DS. The only thing I couldnt get was babysitting mama, but my friend got 2 of those for me at her target. Target was out of the free game for the Kinect, so they let us pick any kinect game we wanted so I got DIsney Adventures!!!!!

Went to walmart next and it was around 2am - it was pretty wiped. Got PJ's for the kids and tshirts but no 3 spot crock pots or Battlefield for the XBOX. Did get the tupperware and pyrex, no mens pj pants.

Then went home to bed and got back up at 10 to go back out - went to Joann Fabric and got a ton of flannel for gifts and projects. When I got there they were calling number 95 to the cutting counter, so I went and got my ticket - I was number 81 :scared1: but found a spot to sit, and sent DH next store to boscovs to get some mens pj pants and cookie sheets.

Hit 5 below for some garden gnomes and reindeer car thingy's - lol. We are going to sneek one on our nephew's car while he is doing his volunteer job at the hospital I work at - haha!!!

All in all we had a fun time!!

Dd and I are dedicated BF shoppers. Last year we did the midnight thing and it just wasn't us. So his year, we got up around 7 and hit the stores by 9. The one thing I waned this year were hose tv's a Best Buy, but I wasn't standing in line all night.

Got a few things at the mall, Bath and Body Works, JC Penny, Toys R Us. I spent more this year on myself than I have in previous years. I just couldn't find much at what felt like a deal.

There were no crowds for us and honestly, they still had tons of TV's at Walmar when we went and there were still door busters at Toys R Us. We checked out in empty lines at both Target and Walmart. We had a good time, we will do it this way next year. Hopefully when I see a stand mixer for 20 I will pick it up next year! I hate that I didn't get it. I went around the corner and came back after deciding to go ahead and the last one was gone. Came home, gone online. Oh well!

Kelly

Yeah, I actually felt a little panicky last night after we pushed out of the Lego crush. It was bizarre. At about 5 min to 10, this lady standing by the Legos looked over her shoulder, said "Now?" and started tearing into the plastic. I don't know who she even got a signal from but it was like things erupted all around us, people were grabbing things and rushing around....it was wild! There was this dad that said to his little boy to wait there as he waded into the sea of people grabbing Legos. I was scared for the little guy--he was like 6! So I told him to come stand over with me so he didn't get squished. His dad popped back out with his Legos and acted like everything was just great and meanwhile a random stranger is protecting his kid!

When we got to the line, it was organized really stupidly. The employs were trying to keep it flowing smoothly but just as we got to the front, there was this huge influx of people who just came pouring in from the side! DH says he has never seen me move so fast!(I have a disability and am generally pretty poky.). But I was honestly a bit freaked out! I guess when I am scared I can get a move on! So, we won't be doing Walmart again either. As we were leaving DH said he couldn't imagine how bad it was any closer into a city with higher populations. My goodness! Neither can I!

We too went to Walmart, but at 7:30a. It was kinda empty! I mean plenty of people around, but really quite pleasant! Able to walk up and down the aisle no problem. Got everything I wanted. Plenty of help around also. I think we hit the lull from the overnight shopping. Maybe everyone was having breakfast. I'll do this again next year, forget the midnight shopping.

We too went to Walmart, but at 7:30a. It was kinda empty! I mean plenty of people around, but really quite pleasant! Able to walk up and down the aisle no problem. Got everything I wanted. Plenty of help around also. I think we hit the lull from the overnight shopping. Maybe everyone was having breakfast. I'll do this again next year, forget the midnight shopping.

I think I might do the same. I had 2 choices- wait in line for 2 hours at Kohls at 1am or go back at 7am and wait in line for 15 minutes. I dropped my stuff, and went home to sleep. Came back and bought the exact same items for the exact same prices and was in and out in less than 1/2 hour. I think I'm done with the whole 'arrive at opening' thing. So much easier to wait and go early in the morning instead.

My daughter had the exact same experience as you. She was thrilled when she called me around 7:00AM to say there was no one there and everything she wanted was there. She went to look at the $49 camera (Kodak) and she said there was stacks of them. Obviously no door busters where there might be 2 per store, but she didn't go to for that. She was happy that she got in and out right away. No wait at the registers either.

i got the $19 printer at walmart.com! not sure why it was out of stock friday morning when the online sale went live at 2:00am, but they have them now! YIPPEEEEE! and i got the DVD DD14 wanted from my mom for Christmas for $9.00!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter