BL Summer Challenge 2009

QOTD -- What is your favorite ride at Magic Kingdom or Disneyland?

DL - Matterhorn because I can't ride it here and it reminds me of being when I was a kid.

MK- Space Mtn & Splash Mountain - I can't pick one over the other, lol.

:confused3 So hard to decide!
MK - Jungle Cruise if we have a good guide, Buzz if I get a good score, also love Space Mtn (& Rock n Roller Coaster, if I'm going outside MK).
DL - Indiana Jones, hands down.

I realize I probably should back up and answer the first QOTD - about me & my goals.
I'm 27, married & have a DD who will be 2 in July. I used to be a singer/dancer, which seems like a lifetime ago now. The point being that I was really fit during my teens and early 20s. A few years ago I took a FT desk job - less working out and added 15 pounds and outgrew my clothes. After giving birth to DD, I was pretty proud of myself for shedding the baby weight with just a little effort. I lost the prego pounds, but "Hmm...I still don't fit into any of my pre-pregnancy clothes, much less my old cute clothes..." After seeing this past holiday's photos, I saw that I was bigger than I imagined and knew I had to get back to the gym. So I've been working out 3-5 times a week since middle of January...and I've lost 2 pounds. Beyond frustrating. I've been wishing I could go on the Biggest Loser, even though I don't have that many pounds to lose. So, this is the next best thing! Less than 2 wks ago I joined Livestrong.com to track all my calories & exercise. Turns out, my food was the problem. I really resisted doing the counting calories, but it's been so empowering!
My main goal is to fit into my closet full of "thinner me" clothes. I almost don't care about the number on the scale if I can just get into my cute capris again! My mini goals are to stay on track with my calories and be able to jog 1 full mile (jogging 4 minutes at a time is my record).

MK - I love Pirates...it's also a great place to go cool down and rest for a few minutes;).

Not a lot of time to spend on the boards this morning. We have homeschool conference this weekend, I missed out on getting a room but at the last minute someone cancelled so I was able to snag one. I would much rather do that then drive back and forth all three days or try to cram it all in during one day. So, I'm heading off in just a few with DD then tomorrow afternoon DH and DS will join us.

I ended up not being on the phone with tech support too long yesterday and they had my laptop back up and running, have to say it was one of those unexpected quick fixes.

I did my WI this morning since I won't be back until late Saturday...I was down .5 this morning. My plan for the weekend is to drink lots of water and try to eat lots of salads and stay away from the fast food type things.

Have a great weekend everyone. I'm still not sure if I'm taking the laptop with me so if I'm not on checking in I'll be thinking about you all. Make today a great one for a great WI tomorrow!!:cheer2:

Wow - I'm way behind. My FIL was visiting over the weekend and into the week and I started a post to this thread but apparently it never got finished or posted! As a result, I haven't even been subscribed to the right BL thread!

About me: I'm a 35 year old at-home mom of 2 boys ages 10 and 6, also married to my high school sweetheart (there are a few of us on this thread who did that!!). We also have some cats and a boisterous young Lab Mix dog who is just about to turn 2, thank goodness!

I am definitely excited for the new challenge. I have gained and lost weight so many times, it's almost not even worth going over all of it again. "Trying to eat less and exercise more" does not work for me - I need a more structured plan, and I am a remedial Weight Watchers user. This time it's no meetings, online tools, an online buddy and BL weigh in day, which helps immensely.

I am another Disney inspired endurance type person. In early 2007, I was depressed and overweight, but I decided I really wanted to run the 2009 half marathon and began the C25K training program. It was an adventure, but I ended up traveling to the 2009 half all on my own (a first) and finishing in spite of a concussion I'd acquired in October, forcing me to lose a month of training (to avoid reinjury through repeated impact - for a while there, running made symptoms worse) and once more, I lost focus in the food department. I ended up doing the Half at my heaviest weight in a long time. I finished, but it was slower than I had hoped for before the injury.

I am also getting to be a fan of Tosca Reno's clean eating recipes, and fully agree with her breakdown that weight loss is 80% food, 10% training and 10% genes. I can overeat ANY amount of working out if I'm not paying attention to what I'm doing. Which is why I do the best when I track my food on the WW website most of the time.

I am so grateful there is a summer challenge - I really do appreciate having a responsibility to send my weight. I think it's actually better than standing on the scale at a meeting!

Haunted Mansion because the whole family can ride it, even with a concussion (I had to skip all the roller coasters on our Thanksgiving trip last year!!) the theme song, and all the details - you can notice something different every time, even after LOTS of rides. Pirates is a close second.

The weather is nice here today. I feel like mother nature is toying with me again, we'll get a couple of nice days then it'll get cold and rain for a couple of days. I guess I should enjoy it while I can.

I know how you feel! We are just getting some nice weather finally.

I see we have a lot of people in this group--that's great!

It is great to see so many of us -- we are going to have a great losing summer!

DL - Matterhorn because I can't ride it here and it reminds me of being when I was a kid.

I remember being scared of the Matterhorn when I was a kid -- and that was way before the addition of the abominable snowman in 1978!

Turns out, my food was the problem. I really resisted doing the counting calories, but it's been so empowering!

Sounds like a great plan! It is amazing how much we underestimate calories and overestimate the effects of exercise until we start tracking them.

My plan for the weekend is to drink lots of water and try to eat lots of salads and stay away from the fast food type things.

Good plan! And have a safe trip and a great week-end!

I am so grateful there is a summer challenge - I really do appreciate having a responsibility to send my weight. I think it's actually better than standing on the scale at a meeting!

We're glad you're here, too!

She's a little rock star that kitty is ;-) Just ask people around there if she's around--she's there a lot, but the earlier you get there the better because after someone feeds her she disappears lol.
I see we have a lot of people in this group--that's great!
Is this a stray kitty that hangs out in disneyland? I've never heard of her, but have never been there either.

My main goal is to fit into my closet full of "thinner me" clothes. I almost don't care about the number on the scale if I can just get into my cute capris again!

This is such a great goal. I find that scale can play such a head game with me sometimes, if I try not to think about the number, but think how much better I feel when I'm eating healthy and exercising, I feel so much better. You can do it!!

I did my WI this morning since I won't be back until late Saturday...I was down .5 this morning. My plan for the weekend is to drink lots of water and try to eat lots of salads and stay away from the fast food type things.

:
Congrats on your loss!! Have a great weekend. You have a good plan for success.

I am also getting to be a fan of Tosca Reno's clean eating recipes, and fully agree with her breakdown that weight loss is 80% food, 10% training and 10% genes. I can overeat ANY amount of working out if I'm not paying attention to what I'm doing. Which is why I do the best when I track my food on the WW website most of the time.
I hadn't seen those percentages before, but it makes sense. I can follow ww and stay within my points and exercise, but if I'm not watching the healthy guidelines, I don't see a loss. I need to track too. It's just too easy to lose track of how much I eat if I'm not writing it down.
Congrats on doing the half marathon. I am in awe those who run half marathons and marathons. Such a wonderful accomplishment.

Today is a beautiful day and it's going to hit 90 degrees here. I only work 10-2 today, then my son has an md appt, but after that we're going to pack a healthy supper and head to the beach for dinner. I was successful at the party last night, had only one beer, and some chips and salsa that I accounted for. Just went to the store, and picked up lots of healthy food for camping this weekend. Got the smore's fixings too, but I will control myself.

Hope you all have a good day.

I've never been to DL, and I don't think I can pick just one ride at MK... I love Pirates and Buzz Lightyear. My favorite ride at WDW though, is a tie between Everest and Soarin.

I went out to dinner with a friend last night and I didn't do the greatest with food choices :sad2: but we agreed to start working out together a couple times a week:) which is awesome because I never have the motivation to get to the gym by myself!

Good morning, losers!

Hope that everyone is having a great OP day and getting ready for our first weigh in tomorrow. :goodvibes

I thought of our little group when I was received this email from SparkPeople that includes a link to a healthy lifestyle scale. You plug in your water and food intake, your exercise time and it will rate how healthy you were any day. Here is the link http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/healthy_lifestyle_scale.asp
You may have to register to use it but they don't flood you with spam.

This is a nice way to measure your sucess in another way besides the scale.

So, the QOTD is how healthy are you going to be today?

I am hoping for a very healthy day today. I've done my exercise and have my meals planned out.

Hope that you all have a healthy day today, too!

Don't forget to PM your weigh in to LuvBaloo tomorrow.

I thought of our little group when I was received this email from SparkPeople that includes a link to a healthy lifestyle scale. You plug in your water and food intake, your exercise time and it will rate how healthy you were any day. Here is the link http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/healthy_lifestyle_scale.asp
You may have to register to use it but they don't flood you with spam.

This is a nice way to measure your sucess in another way besides the scale.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out later.

Great qotd. I'm glad I read it before I go to work, gives me an extra boost to eat healthy. I'm going to be very healthy! I did my exercise too, ate a good breakfast, and have healthy lunch and dinner planned. The day before weighin, I always do the best with water too. I think it helps flush out your system. Lately, I've not been getting enough water in, so that is somthing I'm going to work on this week.

good luck with weighin everyone.:cool1:

The day before weighin, I always do the best with water too. I think it helps flush out your system. Lately, I've not been getting enough water in, so that is somthing I'm going to work on this week.

Great plan! It is amazing what a difference water intake can make in your day.

A big welcome to mefordis our newest member!

I'm going to aim for a moderately healthy day. I've already exercised and will be taking the kids to the park later, so I will be away from the fridge for a few hours. Dinner is already planned (I do a weekly menu) and I want to make more fruit filled jello. And no it's not sugar free. We only had SF in our house growing up so I tend to find it to be yucky. As for my water, not a problem. I'll be bringing my Nalgene bottle with me, and as usual it's a part of my daily routine.

I have to take EXTRA steps to have a healthy day today because:

1, No groceries in the house

2. Day before payday

3. Sick of Subway for lunch

Possible solutions:

1. well...there is ONE egg and ONE english muffin left...there's breakfast

2 & 3. convince my boss to take me to Applebees! :lmao:

wish me luck......

Plan is to be healthy today. I'm -3 points for the week with WW, so I need to stay on target today and do at least 20min of stepping tonight to end up okay for the week. Tomorrow is a fresh start.

2. Day before payday

Possible solutions:

wish me luck......

:lmao: Good Luck! You have to let us know if you were successful.:goodvibes

I'm going to sushi for lunch, but I have my entire day planned out and the calories will still work. Planning is the only way to keep the calories on track since lunch is higher with going out.
Last night I made some hummus and I had that and some whole wheat crackers (only ingredients are 100% whole wheat and salt) for breakfast. It was yummy and different for a change. Tonight I threw some Chili in the crockpot, so dinner is ready when I get home and it's not high in calories so it's a great filling low calorie way to end the day.

I've been doing so good all week. My range of calories is 1200-1550, and I've even had a few 2 mile walks this week. Well early in the week my scale went down a pound and then yesterday and today the scale is back up to where I was last week. I'm sort of nervous I'm not going to be able to pull out a loss this week, even though I've done better this week than any week in the past few months. I'm hoping I have a big Whoosh tonight, but I'm a tad bit scared about the Sushi I'm about to have. I need to watch the soy sauce at lunch todya.

I'm actually wondering if my body stopped moving, even jumping back up a pound since I've stayed pretty steady this week with calories. Here are my calories for the week. My sodium intakes before today were between 867-2847 (today will be highets at 3024 - plus whatever I dip in soy sauce).

Anyone have any ideas why my body would be holding on to this weight. I really expected a big whoosh and instead its holding steady at last weeks weight.

Friday - 1438
Saturday-1336
Sunday - 1263
Monday - 1248
Tuesday -1184
Wednesday-1428
Thursday - today will end up being 1288

These are my sodium levels this week:
1,293 2,527 2,847 2,042, 867, 1,524 3,024
Thursday - will be

2. Day before payday

Possible solutions:

wish me luck......

Lol - Good luck!

Good morning. Today I am going to have a moderately healthy day. I am drinking my water and have packed fruit for my snacks today. I may get a subway sandwich for lunch even though I packed a PB & J. I don't know if I will get a chance to work out or not. I won't get to the gym as I don't have anyone to watch the kids, but I may get a chance to do a work out video.

Good luck everyone...and we pm our weights tomorrow?

Sarah

Well, considering it is the last day before weigh-in and I haven't been exactly great this week, I am going to be VERY healthy today!!:rotfl:

I was out of eggs, so I didn't have a very protein rich/low carb breakfast (which I have been trying to change to), but overall I've done well.

Breakfast was a 90 calorie/high fiber cinnamon raisin english muffin. One half I ate plain, the other half I topped with 1 Tb. of my peanut butter/tofu spread (which is way yummier than it sounds). I also had a cup of my one hold-out aspartame food (General Foods French Vanilla Cafe, caffeine free/sugar free).

I had 24 oz. of water before lunch. Lunch here at work was 1/2 C lowfat cottage cheese topped with 1/4 C crushed pineapple with a small homemade fruit cup for dessert (pineapple, watermelon, banana). I started my second 24 oz. of water with lunch.

Not sure what afternoon snack and dinner are going to be. I did a 25 minute workout this morning before it got hot. I MAY walk in about an hour when my students go to gym, but it is getting HOT and I don't want to come back to school all sweaty. DD is supposed to go to swim team practice tonight, so if I don't walk this afternoon I may be able to hit the gym at the Y later.

I'll check back later to see what everyone else is doing to be extra healthy today!..................P

Hello Everyone!

I just found the WISH board (thanks to a poster on the podcast board!) and joined in too. Awesome idea! I'll start with anwering the QOTD's already asked.

I'm Bonnie, I'm 36...married for 10 years with one 3 year old son. I'm a librarian and I sit on my butt far too long during the day which isn't helping matters. I need to lose the pregnancy fat which has been clinging for 3 years:eek:
My goal is lose 20 lbs by the end of summer and another 20 by the end of the year then to maintain that!

Favorite Disneyland/MK ride:
OK, I'm on the west coast so DL is my home park. Fave ride is Indiana Jones and "its a small world."
At MK my fave is Splash Mountain, it's a better version then the DL one is.

As for today's question...well I had a high fiber english muffin with reduced sugar jam for breakfast, it's not lunch time yet but I have a half of sandwich and some low fat cottage cheese. I really need to drink more water and hopefully will go for my walk today and workout at home.

Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to getting to know you all!

Hello Everyone!

I just found the WISH board (thanks to a poster on the podcast board!) and joined in too. Awesome idea! I'll start with anwering the QOTD's already asked.

I'm Bonnie, I'm 36...married for 10 years with one 3 year old son. I'm a librarian and I sit on my butt far too long during the day which isn't helping matters. I need to lose the pregnancy fat which has been clinging for 3 years:eek:
My goal is lose 20 lbs by the end of summer and another 20 by the end of the year then to maintain that!

Favorite Disneyland/MK ride:
OK, I'm on the west coast so DL is my home park. Fave ride is Indiana Jones and "its a small world."
At MK my fave is Splash Mountain, it's a better version then the DL one is.

As for today's question...well I had a high fiber english muffin with reduced sugar jam for breakfast, it's not lunch time yet but I have a half of sandwich and some low fat cottage cheese. I really need to drink more water and hopefully will go for my walk today and workout at home.

Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to getting to know you all!

Welcome! It looks like we have some things in common. I, too, am on the west coast and have a DS (he just turned four)! I hope you enjoy the group as much as I do...I just recently joined up...but it is good to be checking in and getting good ideas and support from others.

Sarah

PS - I like your choice of DW hotels!

Good Afternoon!!!

Today, so far...I have been moderately healthy. I haven't gotten in as much water as I should have, but I will improve that this afternoon.

I fed and watered the farm animals (worked up a MAJOR sweat), but will definitely do a true workout later tonight.

I'm babysitting the 1 year old next door today for 9 hours :scared1:Does this count :rotfl2:.

Tomorrow I will have my 2 nephews (ages 2 and 4 months and the girl next door). Thats 3 in diapers!!!

Sorry got off on a tangent there. I'm happy with my eating and activity so far, but need to push the water now. Thanks to the QOTD I will make it happen.

I keep thinking about our 2 family trips this year. One is Dollywood next month with DH's family and the other is to DW in Nov/Dec with my DB. I just don't want to be exhausted and all sweaty walking around. I don't want to have to worry about fitting into the rides. I must be strong and make this change to a healthier me. What I'm doing isn't fair to myself or my family.

~:grouphug:Karen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter