Birth certificates enough?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by NeverlandCrew, Jan 2, 2013.

1. BibbidyBobbidyBoo

BibbidyBobbidyBoo <font color=red><br>AKA BIP - Bibbidy is a Pirate DIS Lifetime Sponsor

LOL
    Part of the reason I have procrastinated about changing my name back (to maiden name) after my divorce. but soon it won't matter- my last name won't match the kids anymore anyway ;)

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Disney Dreams

Disney Dreams Proudly afflicted with TDMA!

And nothing unforeseen happens during your trip that causes you to need to return without the ship.

I have often said to bring a marriage license and many on this board gave said its not necessary. On our first cruise, not DCL, I was asked for documentation to prove the person listed on the birth certificate (with maiden name) was the same person on Drivers license (married name). Marriage license solves that issue. They can require it for boarding if they choose to do so.

Until something unforeseen happens and you need to return home without the ship. Then passports are crucial.

- Dreams

4. Disney Dreams

- double post ... Nothing to see ... Have a great day! -

5. Tonka's Skipper

Tonka's Skipper DIS Veteran

Dreams I totally agree with everything you said!:thumbsup2

I have read many of these threards about needing or not needing PB, marriage cert., custady papers, authorization letter etc to take children out of the country, etc.....etc.etc......

The people who tell others that all these other papers are not needed, not reqiured, "we never used the PB", etc, are often very correct, these are most likely not reqiured..............until.......there is a specail situation, or custady arrangement question, or a name question or missing the vessel or needing to go home fast???

When this happens, and granted it may only happen once in thousands of boardings, when this happen,s that extra piece of paper may just save someone from being prevented from boarding the vessel and waiting a few days in a forgien country for a new passport from the US Embassy.

The bottom line:

My wife and I bring all the papers we think we may ever need. After all it's only a extra few pieces of paper! Papers that may save your wonderfull cruise from becoming a horror cruise.

AKK

6. Tonka's Skipper

Tonka's Skipper DIS Veteran

Dreams I tottaly agree with everything you said!:thumbsup2

I have read many of these threads about needing or not needing PB, marriage cert., custady papers, authorization letter etc to take children out of the country, etc.....etc......etc......

The people who tell others that all these other papers are not needed, not reqiured, "we never used the PB", etc, are often very correct, these are most likely not reqiured..............until.......there is a specail situation, or custady arrangement question, or a name question or missing the vessel or needing to go home fast???

When this happens, and granted it may only happen once in thousands of boardings, when this happens, that extra piece of paper may just save someone from being prevented from boarding the vessel and waiting a few days in a forgien country for a new passport from the US Embassy.

The bottom line:

My wife and I bring all the papers we think we may ever need. After all it's only a extra few pieces of paper! Papers that may save your wonderfull cruise from becoming a horror cruise.

AKK

7. nene0182

nene0182 Mouseketeer

What about those that have been married more then once? Would you have to bring copies of both marriage licenses? Just curious. We plan on getting passports as it's something we should have done awhile ago since we live close to the Canadian border and it would be nice to make weekend trips there. Better to get a passport then a passport card. Plus with my son having a different last name then us, I'm sure it'll just make it easier in the long run.

8. Disney Dreams

The entire point of bringing a marriage license is to show the link between the name on the driver's license to the name on the birth certificate. If the driver's license does not have to previously-married name, there is no reason to bring THAT marriage license (unless it bridges the names).

Ex:

Snow White marries Donald Duck and is now Snow Duck.

BC - Snow White
    ML - Snow White --> Snow Duck
    DL - Snow Duck

The ML bridges the name to show it's the same person.

If in the middle was a marriage to Mickey Mouse, there is no reason to bring that ML unless Snow's current DL says Snow Mouse.

Btw, a passport card does nothing for getting someone home in case of an emergency. It is NOT the same as a passport and I personally do not see any benefit in getting one for cruising. JMO.

- Dreams

9. adamsclan

adamsclan Mouseketeer

Our last cruise, the family in front of us in line only brought a photocopy of the 2 little girls' birth certificates. The girls were sobbing. I felt SO bad for them. Too bad their parents didn't research it before they left home. They were turned away.

10. Brittmarie04

Brittmarie04 Mouseketeer

Oh my. I can't imagine the disappointment for these girls:(