Birnbaums Best

Well--I hope you like them but if you ever had a genuine Md crabcake my guess is that you will be very disappointed....

Which is exactly why I don't read reviews about restaurants or resorts. *I* know what *I* like, *I* know what *my* family likes, and *we* make the decisions. Words on a piece of paper or on a PC screen mean nothing when those people who wrote them won't be dining or staying with us.

As a music and movie critic, I don't expect anyone's mind to change. I explain how the album or movie works, what patterns emerge, and what's going on in the songs and performances. Food critics do this too. The judgment doesn't matter so much as the description. I expect, for example, for a food critic to explain how a good béchamel should taste. If a restaurant alters the normal way to prepare béchamel, I expect the critic to explain how this variation works. I think few people say, "Well, that's it -- you've changed my mind. I'm not going."

The book published in Birnbaum's name, however, is propaganda, not a guide.

Last edited:
Well--I hope you like them but if you ever had a genuine Md crabcake my guess is that you will be very disappointed....

Uncle R wouldn't you agree that this would likely be the case of just about any regional specialty? I can't think of anything at WDW that is the exemplary example of a particular dish. Maybe Dole Whips? ;)

Agreed--but they made a particular point of showcasing crabcakes--so I felt compelled to jump in and try to steer folks from a major mistake!!:)

And to add that I live in S Pa--a scant 10 miles from the Md/Pa border. There isn't a restaurant YET here in Pa that can make a crab cake the right way. Many claims but no successes.

In fact there is a restaurant near here (Batemans) that is FROM Md. and once they crossed the State line even they forgot how to make a good crab cake.

I can see this in Wyoming or Montana perhaps--but right next door to MD?????

In fact there is a restaurant near here (Batemans) that is FROM Md. and once they crossed the State line even they forgot how to make a good crab cake.
:upsidedow
The only Bill Bateman's Bistro I have even been to was a dump with terrible food and wait staff that was about as intelligent as my toddler. All four of us thought the food was AWFUL. If they can't even make a decent chicken breast, I would not put any stock in their ability to make a proper crab cake.
:upsidedow

At least it wasn't the sad excuse for a crab cake they used to have back at the American Adventure pavilion in Epcot. <shudder>

Apparently, the Captain's Grille has fantastic crab cakes. At least my dad seemed to think they were the best he'd ever had at WDW and some of the best he's ever had, period. I'll try them in March.
They do have delicious crab cakes! I'm from NE area and those are legit. Big lump meat crab...not that cat food looking stuff. Not a lot of breading and they served a really lovely lightly dressed micro greens on top. I really enjoyed them!

Perhaps crab cakes are not a regional food but rather a national one with regional differences? Perhaps you just prefer the comfort foods of home? I've had very real crab cakes all over the US. Regions vary, but I've found good crab cakes all over. And, believe it or not, authentic crab cakes can be found all across the country. I don't think it gets any better than Salt Water Geechee myself, but hey, we all have our preferences.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter