Big dilemma! How is the wifi at Disney?

gobraves39560

Mouseketeer
We go every year, but I have never really needed the internet. I am a full time college student, and will need to stream classes (online chat classes.) Is this feasible with their connection? We are staying at Saratoga Springs resort.

How important is the video feed quality? If performance is sketchy, the first thing to go is the video quality. You have a decent chance of maintain the voice, and chat should be no problem. But it kind of depends on how the online classroom is set up. Is it in a browser, with a streaming feed separate from the chat box? or is it an all-in one application? The all-in-one is more risky in that it may decide to halt if it is getting poor performance. Standard browser streaming will just continue on a best effort unless it breaks down really bad.

As far as Wi-Fi strength.... it varies from room to room, floor to floor. Public areas tend to be well covered. Request a pool view, and you may find the signal stronger on your balcony. Or put on headphones and sit by the pool!

We go every year, but I have never really needed the internet. I am a full time college student, and will need to stream classes (online chat classes.) Is this feasible with their connection? We are staying at Saratoga Springs resort.

I've found the Disney resorts to be kinda "hit or miss" as far as connection speeds go (wifi) ... it seems to depend on the time of day. When people get back from the parks in the evenings it can slow to a crawl. You may be able to just "plug" in and have satisfactory speeds :confused3

Thank you for your information. I will only need the voice part. Most professors have us turn the video off.

Fingers crossed. I love the pool idea. :cool1: Thanks again.

I've found the Disney resorts to be kinda "hit or miss" as far as connection speeds go (wifi) ... it seems to depend on the time of day. When people get back from the parks in the evenings it can slow to a crawl. You may be able to just "plug" in and have satisfactory speeds :confused3

Oh, I didn't think about that. Maybe I should call the resort and see if that is still available. Thank you. :)

Disney does just about everything great. Except for IT. Their internet service is spotty at best. Hopefully you will luck out. I have at times.

I could never understand why a Days Inn, Holiday Inn Express or even a Motel 8 can have such better internet service. Disney must scrape the bottom of the barrel for their IT personnel. Even their web sites frequently have problems, crash or simple don’t work right. We have all learned just to come back later when they fix it (temporarily). Unfortunately you don’t have that luxury. Good Luck.

Disney does just about everything great. Except for IT. Their internet service is spotty at best. Hopefully you will luck out. I have at times.

I have stayed at AS Sports, Music, Pop, AoA, Kidani and SSR since Wifi. All were very slow and unreliable. YMMV.

Just in case you need to listen to class while in a park, the wi-fi there is also "hit or miss." (More "miss" than "hit" in my experience.)

It has worked well for me at Pop and CSR. I had a problem at the AKL a couple if years ago.

Oh, I didn't think about that. Maybe I should call the resort and see if that is still available. Thank you. :)

No wired option anymore, it was removed when WiFi was installed. If you need to have a connection that is good, figure out your own WiFi and don't rely on Disney. It's one thing to have signal fade in and out when you're scrolling the Dis. But if you have something you need to get online for, you might be out of luck if you don't have a backup plan.

You can consider asking where good wifi is in the resort, some cast members may have learned this. I know where there's good wifi around my town and house because of my phone.

Also, once I needed a good connection for my class. While is was in the King Kamehameha Club, they let me plug my laptop in by using one of their ethernet cables that was being used for a computer they weren't using. Of course, this was when it was not busy and in the middle of the afternoon.

Wifi connection would probably be fine for e-mails and such. Streaming video might be a problem. I have Verizon, and I found that my 4G signal gave me much better connection speeds than the hotel wifi. Does your cell phone have a mobile hotspot? You might not get great coverage in your room, but you can probably find a decent spot outside to hang out and watch your class.

Boardwalk and Kidani are really hit and miss. I found reliable connections in the lobbies.

You will have no issues. I stayed at SSR last month and am at OKW right now. The signal will be fine for this.

I was surprised it was good last month at BLT and in the parks. If you are having trouble, call the help line, people have reported that they can try to reset a router in your section to help.

You will have no issues. I stayed at SSR last month and am at OKW right now. The signal will be fine for this.

Oh my goodness!! YOU made my night. I wasn't expecting to take any Summer classes. Vacation is booked and paid for, and the kiddos are so excited that I cannot cancel this trip. I did read that they have revamped the wifi speeds. T\I appreciate everyone's comments. :banana::banana:

I was surprised it was good last month at BLT and in the parks. If you are having trouble, call the help line, people have reported that they can try to reset a router in your section to help.

Thanks, thats very helpful info. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter