Big Apple, Boardwalk, and Beach - Bullies and Wrap-up (The End!) (pg 44)

Enjoyed the updates Glenn. I have never really thought I would enjoy Phantom, but I might have to do it on one of my trips. Since my brother lives on Long Island, and has an apartment in the city, we tend to pop up there for a long weekend or two a year.

The Dig Inn meal looks good. That one I could try. The Indian restaurant I will have to pass on. After a month in India I have no desire to ever eat Indian food again in my life. Both your, and Marlene's, reviews and pictures are greatly appreciated. Always interested in learning about new things to see, eat, and do.

Glad your trip is going well and looking forward to reading more.

Mary Kay

I have a fond memory of the phantom of the opera from when I was a kid. It was/is my moms favorite. It was one of the last things my mom and i saw in England before we moved to the U.S. :upsidedow

I was up and working by 7:30. Here was my setup. “Command Central”:

Do you get a cool code name like the guys at NASA mission control?

Just picture me typing away at the laptop keyboard, working in Excel, highlighting data, entering formulas, and throw in the occasional control-C and control-V for good measure. Very exciting stuff.

I've always wondered why they don't make TV shows about engineers and such...

One more picture on my way out just to declare, “I’m a tourist and I’m not above taking a picture of the most mundane things in your lives, even this hamburger joint!!”

When you're a DIS TR writer, you can't have any shame.

Okay, maybe not that interesting. But it was interesting to me!

And that's what really matters here.

The food was decent. The hamburger patties were a little different than I’m used to...they seemed to be a little flatter, but not bad. The fries were good.

I have heard people from the midwest rave about Steak 'n Shake, but the only one I ever tried just got a "meh" from me.:confused3

And I only got mugged twice. (Just kidding!)

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Even at DisneyWorld, if we needed to get our little group moving, we’d say “C’mon! Shake ‘n Bake! Shake ‘n Bake!”

I see Andy beat me to the Talladega Nights reference here.

So of course, when she pans past me, I couldn’t resist making one of my dumb faces. I think I gave her the one that I made for the ride camera on Space Mountain our last trip.

Excellent work!:rotfl:

I mean, at one point it looked like the phantom was boating on an unground body of water with candles floating in it, and I completely bought it.

I remember that scene! Very cool.

So, it turned out that seeing “Phantom of the Opera” was a major highlight of the trip for me. Who’d a thunk it?

Glad you enjoyed it!

Well, I wouldn't be too embarrassed. I love comedy and I'm a Will Ferrell fan. But if I were to sit down and make a top 5 list of his best movies... well, it's safe to say that this one wouldn't be on the list.

Aw, come on. I would put it Will Ferrell's top 5 for sure. But then again, I don't know if I liked 5 of his movies.

Aw, come on. I would put it Will Ferrell's top 5 for sure. But then again, I don't know if I liked 5 of his movies.
:rotfl2:

Not a fan, huh?

I think with his movies, for the most part, I either love them or they're just way too over the top ridiculous and I just don't like them. There are a few that are somewhere in the middle, and Talladega Nights would be one of those.

My top 5...

1. Old School
2. Elf
3. Anchorman

Ok, so you make a good point. Maybe it is in my top 5. :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Not a fan, huh?

I think with his movies, for the most part, I either love them or they're just way too over the top ridiculous and I just don't like them. There are a few that are somewhere in the middle, and Talladega Nights would be one of those.

My top 5...

1. Old School
2. Elf
3. Anchorman

Sounds like we're closer on this than you think! I think Ferrell can be hilarious. I also think he can be painfully bad. Most of his movies feature both sides.

That's a bummer that you had to work! As someone who has to occasionally work on her "off" days, I feel your pain. :upsidedow

I was pretty disappointed when the work schedule changed and messed up my plans, but we didn’t let it totally ruin them!

Steak and Shake is a big thing the in Midwest - there are none directly near me but quite a few when you go further East. I love their double garlic burger and their salted caramel milkshake. :goodvibes

Whoa, wish I woulda known about the double garlic burger. Judy makes an Alton Brown recipe (from the old “Good Eats” show) called “40 cloves and a chicken”. It is literally that. We love it!

What an interesting dinner spot! Even in the pictures, the food looks really good!

It was pretty good. As I said in the update, Judy loved it – it was tasty and had things she could eat.

I've seen Phantom of the Opera twice and enjoyed it both times. I think the soundtrack is especially fun (although I enjoy the music from The Book of Mormon and Les Miserables more). Anika LOVES Phantom of the Opera and was super excited when it was part of our Broadway tour ticket package a few years ago - she'd be right there with Marlene to see it multiple times! :D I'm glad it surpassed your expectations!

I was impressed with it, for sure. I think I’d see some other shows before going back again, but it was well worth it.

I was going to ask about the Hello deli too. Was not sure if you had a Letterman habit. :flower3:

I’m a Letterman fan, but didn’t watch it that much – it was on waaay past my bedtime! More often, I would catch up with the Top Ten online.

Right there with you -- today is a catch up day, maybe tomorrow too. then maybe I can revive the TR. :laughing:

Get the de-fib machine....Clear! <JOLT!>

I totally get the certain workdays you just need to be available. Glad you could get work done and enjoyed your lunch. Dinner looks interesting not sure for me but maybe.

Certain things happen on certain days, no getting around it. It was a little unusual that the schedule slipped a couple of days, but stuff happens.

Regarding dinner, at least you’d know what was in it. No secret ingredients hidden in sauces and that kind of thing.

Glad you enjoyed Les Mis. I have not had the pleasure so good to hear it s great show.

We saw Phanton; I’m sure your Les Mis mention was a typo...you probably had it on the brain from an earlier comment. Anyway, we had a great time at the show.

Enjoyed the updates Glenn. I have never really thought I would enjoy Phantom, but I might have to do it on one of my trips. Since my brother lives on Long Island, and has an apartment in the city, we tend to pop up there for a long weekend or two a year.

I was in the same boat, if it wasn’t Marlene’s trip I would have never gone! But it was a great show.

That’s great that you have a place to stay and can do trips like that, you should see it sometime.

The Dig Inn meal looks good. That one I could try. The Indian restaurant I will have to pass on. After a month in India I have no desire to ever eat Indian food again in my life. Both your, and Marlene's, reviews and pictures are greatly appreciated. Always interested in learning about new things to see, eat, and do.

Oh good, glad you’re appreciating the reviews. Yes, if you’re in the city sometime, try Dig Inn. Like I said, it looks like more of a lunch thing really, but they’re open for dinner too. It looks like there are several locations (if you can spot them!).

Glad your trip is going well and looking forward to reading more.

Thanks Mary Kay.

I have a fond memory of the phantom of the opera from when I was a kid. It was/is my moms favorite. It was one of the last things my mom and i saw in England before we moved to the U.S. :upsidedow

That’s awesome Jen. I didn’t know that you grew up in England. Blimey! (Sorry, that’s the extent of my British impression.) :)

Do you get a cool code name like the guys at NASA mission control?

I was shooting for “Rocket Man” ala Howard Wolowitz.

I've always wondered why they don't make TV shows about engineers and such...

If you get my reference on the last comment, you’ll know that they do...they just have to throw in a hot chick so that we’ll actually watch it.

When you're a DIS TR writer, you can't have any shame.

Truer words have never been spoken. Er, written. Well, I mean, typed out, probably via the “hunt and peck” method!

And that's what really matters here.

Darned right!

I have heard people from the midwest rave about Steak 'n Shake, but the only one I ever tried just got a "meh" from me.:confused3

It did the job for a lunch.

I see Andy beat me to the Talladega Nights reference here.

And I still don’t get it. I didn’t rush out to watch it On Demand.

Excellent work!:rotfl:

It’s my “go to” dumb face. Apparently.

I remember that scene! Very cool.

Glad you enjoyed it!

It wasn’t so much the boat moving, there are a bunch of ways they could accomplish that, but the fact that it really did look like candles floating on water.

Not a fan, huh?

My top 5...

1. Old School

2. Elf

3. Anchorman

Sounds like we're closer on this than you think! I think Ferrell can be hilarious. I also think he can be painfully bad. Most of his movies feature both sides.

I think Will Ferrell’s best work is on SNL skits. “Cowbell” is classic. I also love all of the cheerleader skits with Cherie Oteri. And the Jeopardy skits, but the other actors (as Sean Connery and Burt Reynolds) steal those.

“Elf” is pretty good, but I can’t get past the fact that most of the gags are stolen straight from Tom Hanks’ “Big”.

Top of the Rock

For Thursday, June 18th, we’d start out with an excursion that Judy and Lauren had done on their New York City trip -- the Top of the Rock tour. It was a tour of the art and architecture of Rockefeller Center, which included tickets to the observation deck on the roof of the building at 30 Rockefeller Center. I was looking forward to this.

I took this picture of an intersection as we walked to Rockefeller complex. I’m not really sure why, but at least you get to see a little New York hustle and bustle.

IMG_8494_zpshes3jqoo.jpg

Judy and Marlene hoofing it. We must be heading in the right direction because it says “Top of the Rock” on a sign on that pole in the picture.

IMG_8495_zpsvqimxvfu.jpg

These next pictures are from our tour of the Rockefeller center, which was pretty fantastic. The Rockefellers were patrons of the arts - my kinda people - and the style was art deco, also a favorite of mine. Our tour guide gave us headphones and history regarding anything Rockefeller. I would definitely recommend this tour.

“Art Deco” is also a great alias. Feel free to use it...like when your Starbucks barista or your Chick Fil-A server asks for your name. Please report back on the results.

111_zpsyy6brrbk.jpg

Here we are, wired for sound, and waiting for the tour to start. Actually, these headsets were a real help. They allowed all of us on the tour, probably 20 or so people, to hear the tourguide without having to be right on top of him, even when we made stops on the street or were in other public areas with people who weren’t on the tour.

112_zps4mrwh45j.jpg

Our first stop was outside, where our tourguide, Brooks, talked about these art pieces on the wall at Radio City Music Hall. I think each one depicted a different type of art, like dance, drama, and song.

IMG_8497_zpss1m2gcjw.jpg

This one could be song. Or, maybe dance. Or it could be, “let me help you with your towel”...I’m really not sure.

IMG_8498_zps8fxnkhql.jpg

This next one is pretty good. This was a mosaic over a set of doors right across from the Radio City Music Hall pictures above. I had to look this up while writing this, but it’s called “Intelligence Awakening Mankind”. The “Jesus” figure at the center is actually “Thought”.

IMG_8499_zpszdugxkld.jpg

Through the spoken word and the written word, mankind will achieve the triumph of knowledge over the evil of ignorance. Remember, this was (and is) a radio and television building, and they had pretty lofty goals for this new “television” medium.

IMG_8500_zpsyza4tq9o.jpg

I think “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo” (although I’ve never seen it, I swear!) pretty much put those hopes and dreams to rest.

Maybe the internet will achieve the triumph of knowledge over the evil of ignorance instead!

We walked a little ways, and were soon going past Studio 1A and the “Today” show. We weren’t allowed to stop on the sidewalk there, so I had to take these pictures on the fly.

IMG_8502_zpsklyn6tvn.jpg

At least we knew “where in the world” Matt Lauer was today. (Anybody else remember when they used to do those segments? The theme song for that was the best!)

IMG_8503_zpsgtvgvus6.jpg

This is a shot looking back after we got past. We had just walked along the right side of that building, not in front of those people.

IMG_8504_zps2hpouwda.jpg

Brooks told us a lot about John D. Rockefeller Jr. (“Junior”) building the complex, and his wife Abigail (“Abby”), handling the art. In short, they didn’t see eye-to-eye on these endeavors most of the time. He was pretty conservative and prudish, and she was much more liberal. If it wasn’t for her, much of the art around the complex wouldn’t be here -- she overspent her budget and asked for forgiveness later, she commissioned works from controversial artists (more on that later), and installed things without consulting Junior. Basically, a lot of stuff that only a wife could get away with. For example, there’s some art over one of the doorways leading into the building that includes some nudity. Brooks told us that once Junior saw that, he refused to ever enter the building through that doorway again.

(As a side note, Junior and Abby were also some of the main benefactors toward the restoration of Colonial Williamsburg, which is another location I love, so I have to admire their philanthropy.)

This was a mural in one of the buildings that wrapped around the walls and depicted the History of Transportation. This was probably another place that Junior didn’t frequent much.

IMG_8505_zpsu9havor8.jpg

I took this picture because Brooks told us to look at how “30 Rock” looks from this angle -- pretty big. Later on, we’ll see how it shrinks.

IMG_8506_zpspmpj1ufg.jpg

What a relief! This bas relief piece is called “News” and is on the building that used to house the Associated Press. I think it represents the art deco movement pretty well, when you look at the sharp lines and the shiny metal.

IMG_8508_zpsk2cm2hk5.jpg

I googled “elements of art deco style” and found this description that sums up the style pretty well: “The art deco style, which above all reflected modern technology, was characterized by smooth lines, geometric shapes, streamlined forms and bright, sometimes garish colours.” The period ran from about 1925 to around 1940.

This next area was a lobby that had some art of small metal pieces hung by from strands of metal. (I found out while writing this that it’s called “Light and Movement”.) It also had some big windows over the doors (which you can kind of see in the picture). Originally, the windows were kept open so that the metal pieces would move from the wind, but they found that the city air, with all of the exhaust fumes and whatnot, coming in through the windows wasn’t the best idea. It also had a lot of bookmatched marble on the walls, and if you looked closely you might think you could see things in the patterns.

IMG_8510_zpslp8s7c9u.jpg

Like faces perhaps.

IMG_8509_zpstwg7hbb3.jpg

Here’s a good picture of our tourguide, Brooks. (With St. Patrick’s Cathedral behind him.) He was a great tourguide, he really knew his stuff, and he also seemed like the quintessential New Yorker.

IMG_8511_zpsnpvlbbql.jpg

IMG_8512_zpspumenpxe.jpg

From the front, Atlas is a mighty god carrying the weight of the world on his strong shoulders. Brooks told us that the people at St. Patrick’s weren’t too happy seeing this piece of secular art going up across the street.

IMG_8513_zps8gwdpxf3.jpg

But then this perspective was pointed out to them, and as Marlene says... From the back he bows before the church across the street. Struggling not to fall on his knees.

IMG_8517_zpswj5yikyc.jpg

Down the street, I forget what building this was, but these depict industries of the British Empire. Oh, and the sun at the bottom...that’s from the expression that “the sun never sets on the British Empire”.

IMG_8518_zpsxbajxhvn.jpg

I got them crazy eyes going.

IMG_8519_zps9pivz2qk.jpg

Here’s the view of 30 Rock from a different angle that I alluded to earlier. It looks like it went on a crash diet.

IMG_8521_zps5ke55xv7.jpg

This is a bad, blurry picture, but I left it in just to mention that this little courtyard leading up to the Prometheus sculpture is called the “English Channel” since it’s in-between the British building (with the “industries” figures above) and a French building.

IMG_8522_zpsqkn2hwo7.jpg

Here’s what we all came to see - Lego Prometheus.

IMG_8523_zpshiod2jvp.jpg

continued in next post

Last edited:

continued from previous post

And the real Prometheus sculpture, in the courtyard. Beyond it, in front of the main doors, was some temporary art that was there for the summer.

IMG_8524_zps8vh0c8cv.jpg

This is “Maiden”, one of two sculptures called “Mankind Figures (Maiden and Youth)”. These are in the courtyard in front of the Prometheus sculpture.

115_zpsbbzma1nd.jpg

One of many entrances to the building. It says, “Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.” I believe that’s a quote from somewhere. Yes, Marlene. You might find it in the book of Isaiah, chapter 33, verse 6. But in her defense, it’s from the King James version. I’m sure she would have recognized it, had it been from the NIV.

IMG_8526_zpszk8qvu5r.jpg

Marlene took this one. I like how it looks like the figure is messing with the security guard.

118_zps5qduf2xz.jpg

119_zpsguqqoetp.jpg

Inside the lobby, and over the Information Desk, is this mural by Jose Maria Sert, called “American Progress”. It’s an allegory depicting the building of contemporary America. You’ve got leaders and labororers working together, reaching out to one another. And as I’m sure you will notice quickly, the heroic figure of Abraham Lincoln in the center, with his hand on the shoulder of one Ralph Waldo Emerson. ...Or is it? Brooks told us that Sert said that it’s Emerson, but with the arm obscuring the face somewhat, some have said that it could be Generalissimo Francisco Franco, who came to power in 1936. Sert was from Spain and this mural was created in 1937.

IMG_8527_zps7tdepynv.jpg

It seems this hunk of wall is never without controversy because before this mural there was another piece of art here, a fresco called “Man at the Crossroads” by Diego Rivera.

A very Communist piece of work, didn’t make it on the wall. Brooks held up this picture of the original fresco that was here, which I photographed for your viewing pleasure.

IMG_8530_zpstm5haw6b.jpg

Rivera refused to change the obvious depiction of Vladimir Lenin on the right side of the picture. (Ha! You’d think it’d be on the left -- get it?) Anyway, after much bickering, pleading, and negotiating, which ended with Rivera saying that he’d rather see the work destroyed than mutilated, he got his wish -- workers chiseled the whole thing off the wall in the middle of the night.

Back to what’s there now. As you walk in, you come through the doors, look up and you’re greeted by this sight:

IMG_8528_zps5qxysurc.jpg

Whoa. That’s quite an angle. Kinda makes you appreciate the beauty of a well-placed loincloth, that’s for sure.

Like those pictures where the eyes follow you around the room as you move, he seems to lean one way or the other as you cross the lobby. This picture is from the left side of the room.

IMG_8531_zpsxuszqnbf.jpg

And this is from the right.

IMG_8532_zpsbbx2pjjw.jpg

And a wider shot, to give you a little more perspective.

IMG_8533_zpsnh60fwpc.jpg

It’s kind of hard to get a sense of the room since the mural is on the wall and these figures are on the ceiling, but I found this picture taken with a fisheye lens on the internet.

Link to American Progress picture using fisheye lens

We looked at a few more pieces of art along a wall near here, and after that we were done with the guided portion of the tour. We turned in our headphones and then took the elevator to the observation deck.

It was windy up there, but beautiful.

IMG_8534_zpskgz1apv4.jpg

Marlene said something like, “See, we did get to see the Statue of Liberty! We didn’t have to take any ol’ boat tour.”

IMG_8535_zps9kdyvr0y.jpg

IMG_8539_zpsuvesji2d.jpg

I posted this picture on Instagram.

IMG_1984_zpsnzls7ewi.jpg

We walked around a little and took some pictures, and then realized that we could even go up one more level.

IMG_8541_zpsq2naaaao.jpg

IMG_8543_zpsagk53n6k.jpg

IMG_8544_zps1ncvnqro.jpg

IMG_8545_zpshftr7ry4.jpg

Hey, our hotel’s right over there! Well, in that direction anyway.

IMG_8546_zpse8saalzo.jpg

Hard to imagine what it looked like back when the island of Manhattan was originally purchased from the native inhabitants for the sum of 60 guilders.

IMG_8547_zpssozkbc1l.jpg

It would’ve been nice if it had been more of a clear day, but still, a pretty cool experience nonetheless.

IMG_8548_zpsb82pcayv.jpg

The tippy-top of the Rock. We did get decent cellphone reception up here, so we had that going for us.

IMG_8549_zpstjgeassc.jpg

120_zps9rr95exj.jpg

I’m not sure if she’s saying where she is, or claiming to be a Rockefeller!

Back down in the lobby, Marlene and Judy each got some Starbucks.

121_zpsu9gpshhm.jpg

My jokes are the best jokes.

All in all, we really enjoyed the tour. Brooks did a great job explaining the creation of the Rockefeller Plaza and giving us the inside scoop on all of the artwork, and it was capped off with some great views of the city . There’s a separate NBC Studios tour that we didn’t take which goes through some of the studios for Saturday Night Live and Jimmy Fallon, so if you decide to do one of these tours, just know what you’re getting. This one (as you know by now) focused on the art and architecture of the buildings, and took most of the morning considering the time to get there, take the tour, and spend some time on the observation deck.

Up next: Downtown and Uptown and we Van Gogh to the Met

Last edited:
(Ha! You’d think it’d be on the left -- get it?)

Groan, Yes I get it. (Actually, that was really funny! You never miss a beat, do you?)

Kinda makes you appreciate the beauty of a well-placed loincloth

You have no idea the wave of gratitude that just swept over me...

SEriously, wonderful update! I am re-doing (SLOWLY!) my house in a kind of Art Deco, Mission style fusion that I adore. One reason I love DHS so much! I know we're about to lose that for the most part, but I love it! All of the art around NY really seems to showcase that style and I adored your photos!

Wow! You got some great pics! So cool you shared the tour with us. How fun you got to stop by the Today window! You were probably on TV for a moment. :goodvibes

Groan, Yes I get it. (Actually, that was really funny! You never miss a beat, do you?)

Good one! :rotfl2:

::yes:: Me too!

SEriously, wonderful update! I am re-doing (SLOWLY!) my house in a kind of Art Deco, Mission style fusion that I adore. One reason I love DHS so much! I know we're about to lose that for the most part, but I love it! All of the art around NY really seems to showcase that style and I adored your photos!

Funny, I was noticing that you were focusing on the art, and I was excited to see the today show set. Yikes - I guess that proves something (I probably have actually watched Honey Boo Boo a time or two :bitelip: not that I take it seriously, I just can't take my eyes off a grain wreck, always - I could see that style fitting you really well. We expect to see pictures!

I try not to miss beats, or meals!

I’ve got a pretty good idea.

Very cool. You probably like the woodwork at the Grand Californian then, I imagine.

Yes, I think a lot of the skyscrapers were built during the Depression, so that style can be found quite a bit around NYC.

Wow! You got some great pics! So cool you shared the tour with us. How fun you got to stop by the Today window! You were probably on TV for a moment. :goodvibes

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it! It looked like they were in commercial or something when we walked past the window, it didn’t seem like they were on-air at that moment.

Funny, I was noticing that you were focusing on the art, and I was excited to see the today show set. Yikes - I guess that proves something (I probably have actually watched Honey Boo Boo a time or two :bitelip: not that I take it seriously, I just can't take my eyes off a grain wreck, always - I could see that style fitting you really well. We expect to see pictures!

Hey, something for everyone! Yes, pictures of Liesa’s home décor would be great.

That looked like a very interesting tour. I'll have to remember it, if I ever get to NYC again.

What a wonderful trip to NYC! I haven't been in ages, and it just makes me want to go back so much more. When I do, I'm going to have to look into that tour. I can't wait to hear/read about the rest of your journey. :D

I’m not really sure why, but at least you get to see a little New York hustle and bustle.

Allrighty then.

“Art Deco” is also a great alias. Feel free to use it...like when your Starbucks barista or your Chick Fil-A server asks for your name. Please report back on the results.

:rotfl2::rotfl2: I need to try that!

This one could be song. Or, maybe dance. Or it could be, “let me help you with your towel”...I’m really not sure.

This could escalate quickly.

Through the spoken word and the written word, mankind will achieve the triumph of knowledge over the evil of ignorance. Remember, this was (and is) a radio and television building, and they had pretty lofty goals for this new “television” medium.

That certainly is a noble goal. I was just watching Wipeout the other night...

I think “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo” (although I’ve never seen it, I swear!) pretty much put those hopes and dreams to rest.

That demonstrates the point too!:rotfl:

Maybe the internet will achieve the triumph of knowledge over the evil of ignorance instead!

It absolutely does! Just read any average comments section.

Basically, a lot of stuff that only a wife could get away with.

Truth.::yes::

This was a mural in one of the buildings that wrapped around the walls and depicted the History of Transportation. This was probably another place that Junior didn’t frequent much.

Wow. None of my classes were ever remotely that exciting.

Here’s what we all came to see - Lego Prometheus.

Now THIS is art!

It says, “Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.” I believe that’s a quote from somewhere. Yes, Marlene. You might find it in the book of Isaiah, chapter 33, verse 6.

:rotfl2::rotfl:

I like how it looks like the figure is messing with the security guard.

I can't see it any other way now!

Kinda makes you appreciate the beauty of a well-placed loincloth, that’s for sure.

That's very, very underrated.

We did get decent cellphone reception up here, so we had that going for us.

Which is nice.

I’m not sure if she’s saying where she is, or claiming to be a Rockefeller!

You'd better hope it's the latter!

This one (as you know by now) focused on the art and architecture of the buildings, and took most of the morning considering the time to get there, take the tour, and spend some time on the observation deck.

Looks like it was well worth the time spent!:thumbsup2

Great tour! Neat to see all that artwork. I'd love to do the studio tour sometime, too. But I guess first I actually have to go to New York!

Love the pictures from the top of the Rock!

Great update Glenn. It was like being on the tour with you. Marlene chose well as that is much more interesting tnan walking up all those stairs in the Statue of Luberty.

Of course I almost sprayed margarita's all over my phone laughing at the loincloth comment. That was priceless.

Mary Kay

Very cool. You probably like the woodwork at the Grand Californian then, I imagine.

Yes, I think a lot of the skyscrapers were built during the Depression, so that style can be found quite a bit around NYC.

To be perfectly honest (which is an odd saying, because actually, I"m almost 100% honest) I've not spent very much time in that resort. At all. I did Tea there last trip, but didn't wander nearly as much as I'd have liked. Need to remedy that apparently!

I've only ever been to NYC once, when I was about 7. I was hardly into architecture then. THe one thing that does stand out in my memory was seeing A Chorus Line- the beginnings of my lifelong LOVE of all things Broadway.

Looks like a great day,we went to the rock years ago but didn't do the tour, will have to look into it if we ever make it over there again (without the toddler....)

Loving the report

Great idea! :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

I thought it was a scene from Avatar or something.

Well... it had some potential. Until it started killing knowledge.

I was going to say the same thing. :rotfl2:

Brooks told us a lot about John D. Rockefeller Jr. (“Junior”) building the complex, and his wife Abigail (“Abby”), handling the art. In short, they didn’t see eye-to-eye on these endeavors most of the time. He was pretty conservative and prudish, and she was much more liberal. If it wasn’t for her, much of the art around the complex wouldn’t be here -- she overspent her budget and asked for forgiveness later, she commissioned works from controversial artists (more on that later), and installed things without consulting Junior. Basically, a lot of stuff that only a wife could get away with.
Sounds like a typical wife.

(As a side note, Junior and Abby were also some of the main benefactors toward the restoration of Colonial Williamsburg, which is another location I love, so I have to admire their philanthropy.)
::yes::

One of many entrances to the building. It says, “Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.” I believe that’s a quote from somewhere. Yes, Marlene. You might find it in the book of Isaiah, chapter 33, verse 6. But in her defense, it’s from the King James version. I’m sure she would have recognized it, had it been from the NIV.
Hey, just be glad that she recognized Scripture! I mean, heck, there's so much there. I can never remember exactly where most of it is found either.

Rivera refused to change the obvious depiction of Vladimir Lenin on the right side of the picture. (Ha! You’d think it’d be on the left -- get it?)
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Marlene said something like, “See, we did get to see the Statue of Liberty! We didn’t have to take any ol’ boat tour.”
And she's right. Well played, Marlene. :thumbsup2:rotfl:

It really just blows my mind seeing New York City from this angle. You've got this huge urban area, with buildings on top of buildings. And then the vast open space of Central Park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter