Big Apple, Boardwalk, and Beach - Bullies and Wrap-up (The End!) (pg 44)

That looked like a very interesting tour. I'll have to remember it, if I ever get to NYC again.

It was a good tour Alison, and worth the expense, I think...especially if you combine it with the ride to the observation deck. I hope you get there sometime!

What a wonderful trip to NYC! I haven't been in ages, and it just makes me want to go back so much more. When I do, I'm going to have to look into that tour. I can't wait to hear/read about the rest of your journey. :D

Hi Duzzygirl and :welcome: Thanks for your comments! Good to have you along.

Allrighty then.

Never waste a picture, no matter how boring.

:rotfl2::rotfl2: I need to try that!

Please do!

This could escalate quickly.

Nah, that could never happen.

That certainly is a noble goal. I was just watching Wipeout the other night...

Did you ever watch “Most Exteme Elimination Challenge” that used to air on Spike? It was like a Japanese version of Wipeout, but it was dubbed with bad jokes and stuff. I have to say I watched just about all of those. Guilty.

That demonstrates the point too!:rotfl:

::yes::

It absolutely does! Just read any average comments section.

No, don’t make me!

Hmm, now what’s your wife’s moniker on here again?

Wow. None of my classes were ever remotely that exciting.

:laughing: Yes, it should’ve been titled “A Day in the Life of a Transportation Engineer”.

Now THIS is art!

You know it when you see it.

I can't see it any other way now!

My work here is done.

That's very, very underrated.

Here, and at sumo matches.

You'd better hope it's the latter!

Sometimes she spends like one.

Looks like it was well worth the time spent!:thumbsup2

Yup.

Great tour! Neat to see all that artwork. I'd love to do the studio tour sometime, too. But I guess first I actually have to go to New York!

Love the pictures from the top of the Rock!

I agree, I’d like to do the studio tour also. Next time, I guess!

Thanks. It was a great view from up there.

Great update Glenn. It was like being on the tour with you. Marlene chose well as that is much more interesting tnan walking up all those stairs in the Statue of Luberty.

Great, glad you enjoyed it. I’d still like to actually go to the Statue of Liberty sometime. Not sure if I ever will.

Of course I almost sprayed margarita's all over my phone laughing at the loincloth comment. That was priceless.

Yay!!

To be perfectly honest (which is an odd saying, because actually, I"m almost 100% honest)

Well, since you threw that “almost” in there, it would seem that you’d estimate yourself at something less than absolute perfection over your lifetime to-date. ;) Me too.

I've not spent very much time in that resort. At all. I did Tea there last trip, but didn't wander nearly as much as I'd have liked. Need to remedy that apparently!

I haven’t made it out there yet at all but I’ve seen plenty of pictures, and the Arts and Crafts styling looks pretty nice.

I've only ever been to NYC once, when I was about 7. I was hardly into architecture then. THe one thing that does stand out in my memory was seeing A Chorus Line- the beginnings of my lifelong LOVE of all things Broadway.

Cool, sounds like a memorable trip even though you were just a youngster.

Looks like a great day,we went to the rock years ago but didn't do the tour, will have to look into it if we ever make it over there again (without the toddler....)

It may not seem like it now, but they don’t stay toddlers forever! I blinked, and the whole reason I’m on this particular trip is to accompany one of my “toddlers” on her graduation trip.

Loving the report

Great, thanks!

Great pix, I saw the Statue from a Bus the one and only time I was in New York City!!!

That’s enough to check it off the list Rosie!

Great idea! :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

I had a server at the counter of Chick-Fil-A ask me, “may I have a name for the meal?” and I was like, “well, I’ll need to see it first before I can name it!”

I thought it was a scene from Avatar or something.

Ah yes, blue people -- good eye! Either that or poor circulation.

Well... it had some potential. Until it started killing knowledge.

“Reality” TV always has to be in quotes, for good reason!

I was going to say the same thing. :rotfl2:

Great minds.

Sounds like a typical wife.

Fortunately, we all have extraordinary wives. You, me, Capt_Oblivious, all the Dis-Dads and anyone reading this. Trying to cover my bases.

Hey, just be glad that she recognized Scripture! I mean, heck, there's so much there. I can never remember exactly where most of it is found either.

I may or may not have looked it up...just to be sure that I didn’t make an error in the tr. :rolleyes:

And she's right. Well played, Marlene. :thumbsup2:rotfl:

Hey, it was her trip. Surely no boat tour if she didn’t want one! Just climb a tall building and look out over the water -- there’s Lady Liberty all right.

It really just blows my mind seeing New York City from this angle. You've got this huge urban area, with buildings on top of buildings. And then the vast open space of Central Park.

I agree! And with the price of real estate, you wonder how much temptation there must be to develop some of it. But it really is a tremendous asset.

I'm not always one for tours, but yours looked like an especially good one. You took a lot of great pictures, especially of the art!

Great sneaky pictures of the Today Show!

Finally, the sights from the Top of the Rock are awesome! What a view!

Did you ever watch “Most Exteme Elimination Challenge” that used to air on Spike? It was like a Japanese version of Wipeout, but it was dubbed with bad jokes and stuff. I have to say I watched just about all of those. Guilty. [/QUOTE]

(Oops) We had a VCR tape we recorded from a local station when stationed in Okinawa in the 80's of that show! It was even more hilarious without the translation! The kids used to ask for it over and over and entertain their friends. Lots of laughter was had. I only wish we had more episodes! :rotfl2:

Good updates.

If you have to work while on vacation, it seems like the conditions were not too bad. At least it was a quiet room with no coworker interruptions.

And a few choices for lunch. I have not been to a Steak and Shake or Chik-Fil-A or Sonic or any of those chains people seem to enjoy. The fries with your meal did look incredibly good, as did your lunchroom setting.

Thanks for sharing the info about Dig Inn. The food looked amazing- I would love to have the opportunity to make all those selections.

I'm really glad you enjoyed Phantom and that it was such a welcome surprise. I saw the show at a matinee in Boston and it didn't blow me away (too much Opera, frankly), but the staging of the show you saw just sounds incredible. I definitely don't remember the boat scene.

I am intrigued by all of the artwork at Rockefeller Center. I didn't know it was all there, and I'm sure it is so much more meaningful when some of the background is explained.

Looks like the Today show played a bit of a part in both of the girls' graduation trips.

Wow! Great views from Top of the Rock.

:goodvibes:

Well, since you threw that “almost” in there, it would seem that you’d estimate yourself at something less than absolute perfection over your lifetime to-date. ;) Me too.

Yes, something like that!! ;)

I haven’t made it out there yet at all but I’ve seen plenty of pictures, and the Arts and Crafts styling looks pretty nice.

I think it's worth a trip even if just to poke around.

Cool, sounds like a memorable trip even though you were just a youngster.

NYC has a TON to offer, and your TR just gave me a few more ideas! Someday...

I'm not always one for tours, but yours looked like an especially good one. You took a lot of great pictures, especially of the art!

I like to learn something new, so I don't mind a tour or a museum, as long as they keep it interesting. This one was pretty good.

Great sneaky pictures of the Today Show!

We were allowed to walk by, but had to keep moving, so I just fired away!

Finally, the sights from the Top of the Rock are awesome! What a view!

Indeed, quite a view!

Did you ever watch “Most Exteme Elimination Challenge” that used to air on Spike? It was like a Japanese version of Wipeout, but it was dubbed with bad jokes and stuff. I have to say I watched just about all of those. Guilty.

(Oops) We had a VCR tape we recorded from a local station when stationed in Okinawa in the 80's of that show! It was even more hilarious without the translation! The kids used to ask for it over and over and entertain their friends. Lots of laughter was had. I only wish we had more episodes! :rotfl2:[/QUOTE]

Okay, good -- glad to know I'm not the only one! ;)

Good updates.

If you have to work while on vacation, it seems like the conditions were not too bad. At least it was a quiet room with no coworker interruptions.

Yes, it wasn't too bad. I was a little worried hoping that the internet connection would be good enough -- I have to have a lot of linked files open at the same time and I feared that it would be too slow to work. But, it was just like being in my office, minus the interruptions!

And a few choices for lunch. I have not been to a Steak and Shake or Chik-Fil-A or Sonic or any of those chains people seem to enjoy. The fries with your meal did look incredibly good, as did your lunchroom setting.

Hmmm, well I've been to Chick-Fil-A a bunch of times, Sonic only a couple (once with alarming results), and this was my first time at a Steak and Shake. Of the three, Chick-Fil-A is the best option. Well anyway, I had a really nice lunch that day and it will be remembered for a long time since I got to sit and take in Central Park while eating it.

Thanks for sharing the info about Dig Inn. The food looked amazing- I would love to have the opportunity to make all those selections.

That was a great little place. Definitely worth looking up if you ever get to NYC.

I'm really glad you enjoyed Phantom and that it was such a welcome surprise. I saw the show at a matinee in Boston and it didn't blow me away (too much Opera, frankly), but the staging of the show you saw just sounds incredible. I definitely don't remember the boat scene.

I have to think that the Broadway versions are better than the touring productions just for the fact that they can get those effects nailed down (sometimes literally) and don't have to move them a couple of days later. Regarding opera, I like it, as long as it's Mozart's it seems. In the last few years I've been to three performances in Philly -- The Magic Flute and Don Giovanni (by Mozart) and Don Carlo (by Verdi). The Magic Flute was my favorite, Don Giovanni a close second, but Don Carlo I could've left early!

I am intrigued by all of the artwork at Rockefeller Center. I didn't know it was all there, and I'm sure it is so much more meaningful when some of the background is explained.

I bet there are a lot of New Yorkers who walk by it everyday without noticing it. It really helps to get the background info on some of those pieces, what they mean, and what transpired when they were being created.

Looks like the Today show played a bit of a part in both of the girls' graduation trips.

One a little more than the other, but yes!

Wow! Great views from Top of the Rock.

:goodvibes:

A must do, I think. At least once!

I think it's worth a trip even if just to poke around.

I'd really like to see that hotel someday!!

NYC has a TON to offer, and your TR just gave me a few more ideas! Someday...

We each have our "someday's"! I hope you reach all of yours!

Downtown and Uptown and we Van Gogh to the Met

We walked to Green Symphony for lunch, near Times Square. We had a little trouble deciding on a place to eat lunch, but we finally decided to try this place called Green Symphony since the description on Yelp sounded like it would have some options for Judy. As Marlene mentioned, it was down around Times Square so it was a little bit of a hike, but probably not worth trying to get to by subway. At least not for us since we’re not experienced subway riders. Walking, we know how to do.

Here’s a shot as we first entered.

IMG_8550_zpsdmjpjxss.jpg

There were lots of different things available on shelves and in fridges, and kind of a buffet offering of food in the back-left corner of the store. At this restaurant you paid by weight. You could fill your plate from a buffet-style array of foods - both cold and hot - and then go to the register to pay before staying (or leaving) to eat. It was very small and crowded.

Here’s a shot from the other corner of the front of the store, looking across the counter where the register was. The buffet area was way in the back corner. I failed to get a picture of that because I was just too shy to take a picture while people were there, dishing up their food!

IMG_8552_zpsofuf04b9.jpg

This place had a few tables for people to sit and eat, and we were able to grab a spot. Here’s what we got...kind of an eclectic mix of veggies, legumes, and greens. Looks like I found a meatball and a couple of brussel sprouts and Marlene got a samosa.

IMG_8551_zpshy2mdnrw.jpg

We liked the food and I’d eat there again. It was nothing fancy, but a pretty varied array of offerings from hot to cold, spicy and not. And you loaded it up into a fancy space-age aluminum trough! I can’t remember what we paid for this, but similar to Dig Inn, it was fairly inexpensive...probably under $30 for our food and then a little more for bottled iced teas to drink.

Marlene forgot her backpack in there, but I have to give her credit that she remembered it about 2 seconds after we got out the door so was able to just run back in and grab it.

From there, we were going to go to SOHO (which refers to the area South of Houston St., by the way) to do some shopping. We walked a block or so to Times Square to get to a subway entrance. Judy caught a glimpse of one of these girls wearing body paint and was like, “What the ?? Is that legal?”

We went down into the subway, and I found that the insufficient research that I did for this trip was catching up to me here. I should’ve studied the subway system a little bit, but I was relying on the fact that Judy had been here before and ridden the subway. She and Marlene had even ridden it the day before to get to the train station to head out to the Botanical Garden, but today we weren’t sure which train we needed to catch. We went down one set of steps and then back up and down the other side. I guess we finally decided that we needed to go “Downtown”, but were a little nervous that we’d catch an “express” and go past our stop and end up way further down the line than we wanted to. I was tempted to ask someone else waiting on the platform, but I’m pretty sure that’s not a New York thing to do. I did some quick googling to try to learn the system, but it looked like a whole lot more reading than I was willing to do at that moment so we got on a train and hoped for the best, and it worked out fortunately. I have to say, I found the U-Bahn in Vienna easier to understand than the New York City subway system, and that was in German!

We got off at a stop in SOHO, started walking and told Marlene to just let us know when she saw a store that she’d like to check out. Marlene was pretty disappointed that most of the stores were the same as we could find in just about any mall -- H&M, Forever 21, Banana Republic, etc. She did stop in a couple of unique stores but didn’t find anything. After a little while she got pretty exasperated quite frankly, and we finally realized that what she was thinking of was the street bazaar that Lauren and Judy had happened upon during their trip a few years before. We explained that that was just a chance thing that they happened upon.

We made one last stop before leaving, to check out Bloomingdale’s. I let the girls go on their way and I went to the Men’s department. Talk about sticker-shock! If the prices in the Women’s department were anything like the Men’s (yes, I know the answer to that), I was kind of hoping they didn’t find anything. After a while I got tired of browsing the same few racks and found a chair to sit and wait for them. Judy texted me later that Marlene tried on a couple of dresses but didn’t love them enough to get them. I think I dodged a bullet there.

All of us were fed up with shopping and so we asked Marlene what she wanted to do next. I reminded her of some of the special exhibits that were at the museums while we were there. I had made a note of:

Metropolitan Museum of Art – Van Gogh, Irises and Roses

MoMA – Warhol, Campbell’s Soup cans; Klimt, Adele Bloch-Bauer II; Van Gogh, Starry Night

Guggenheim – Thannhauser collection of Impressionist art

Neue Galerie – Klimt, Adele Bloch-Bauer I (Woman in Gold)

For me personally, I would have been torn between seeing Starry Night at MoMA or Woman in Gold at the Neue Galerie, but Marlene settled that (it was her trip remember) by picking the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I think she had seen some of the hubbub from the Met Gala a month or so earlier, so wanted to see what all of the fuss was about. We found another subway station and rode up to a stop along the west side of Central Park and walked across the park to the museum.

We got to the Met at about 4pm and I made a little bit of a financial blunder. I forgot that I had read before the trip that the admission fee was “recommended” (ie. you could pay whatever you wanted). Actually, I don’t think I paid that much attention to it since I didn’t really expect to go there. Anyway, the ticket guy asked me what I wanted to pay and I just said, “The recommended amount, I guess”. He said, “Really? It’s 4 o’clock you know?” I got the hint (a little bit, but it still hadn’t quite sunk in) and told him an amount a little lower, and paid. After walking away, kind of perplexed, I remembered the “recommended” fee discussion I’d seen earlier and realized that I should’ve paid way less for the short amount of time that we’d be there. Oh well, I guess they can just add it to their $2.5B investment portfolio.

We then went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. As an artist (in music, but still) I was very excited to see all the museum had to offer. I was not disappointed. First we saw the Van Goghs. The museum was featuring Van Gogh’s iris and rose paintings on display, which were truly breathtaking. The thing I love so much about Van Gogh, other than the genius of his art and the fantastic use of paint, is his story. The poor guy could never get anyone to buy his paintings while he was alive. He lived poor and depressed and dealt with Bipolar Disorder his whole life. If he saw how we now revere his work, it would bring him to tears.

The China: Through the Looking Glass exhibit featured several rooms full of historic Chinese fashion throughout the ages. I had seen - via snapchat - that there was a gala at the Met Museum a few weeks previous (Celebrities only), so I looked forward to seeing the exhibit myself. Unfortunately, there was no photography or videography at all allowed in the exhibit, so I don’t have many pictures.

We were very confused at the whole photography issue. There were times when we’d see people taking pictures or we’d take pictures ourselves, in front of security personnel and everything was fine. Then other times, we’d get yelled at the moment we’d hold a camera up. “No pictures!!!” So, quite honestly, I didn’t know when we could or couldn’t until we got a stern rebuke and then it was pretty clear.

Marlene took this (I’m guessing – illegal) picture.

122_zpsnskludaf.jpg

These big fiber-optic cable things were outside of the China exhibit.

IMG_8554_zps0xqbktsi.jpg

I thought that they might make a good photo backdrop.

IMG_8555_zps0cxmolvh.jpg

We all thought that this dress was pretty amazing.

IMG_8556_zpsvbigzpwn.jpg

IMG_8558_zps08jxinkl.jpg

IMG_8559_zpsvzjmj0mn.jpg

A couple of other dresses.

IMG_8560_zpsjtskjqjy.jpg

IMG_8561_zps3x6fppv6.jpg

Proof that we did see some Renaissance-type paintings too.

IMG_8562_zpsx2rtgcoo.jpg

I went mad for the exhibit that featured the history of musical instruments. This photo is me standing in front of all the different versions of the oboe - my very favorite instrument.

IMG_8563_zpsvpdshoxx.jpg

IMG_8564_zpsbgemwywr.jpg

IMG_8565_zpsdxx6snx9.jpg

IMG_8566_zpsckuefvwt.jpg

A small violin called a pochette, which is French for “small pocket”.

IMG_8568_zpszvw2x0cr.jpg

I thought these guitars were beautiful.

IMG_8567_zpsw9kvle2e.jpg

IMG_8569_zpskkgma4os.jpg

This is a guitar made from an armadillo shell. Truly fantastic. Unless you’re the armadillo!

IMG_8570_zpsxaenlkh2.jpg

A very large saxophone. I’d like to hear how low it could go.

IMG_8571_zpstty06wml.jpg

And then we were basically “shoo’d” out of the place by the security personnel announcing that they’d be closing soon.

I took this picture on the way out to show that pranksters haven’t changed much over the years, with the exception of maybe adding shaving cream to their arsenal.

IMG_8572_zpskpdueled.jpg

Up next: NYC wrap-up

Last edited:
There were lots of different things available on shelves and in fridges, and kind of a buffet offering of food in the back-left corner of the store.

It looks like you stopped for lunch at a GNC store.

I have to say, I found the U-Bahn in Vienna easier to understand than the New York City subway system, and that was in German!

That's just plain sad.

Marlene was pretty disappointed that most of the stores were the same as we could find in just about any mall -- H&M, Forever 21, Banana Republic, etc.

As the big guy continues to crowd out the little guy. God Bless America!

We made one last stop before leaving, to check out Bloomingdale’s. I let the girls go on their way and I went to the Men’s department. Talk about sticker-shock! If the prices in the Women’s department were anything like the Men’s (yes, I know the answer to that), I was kind of hoping they didn’t find anything. After a while I got tired of browsing the same few racks and found a chair to sit and wait for them.

Yep, that pretty much sums up most shopping experiences.

Metropolitan Museum of Art – Van Gogh, Irises and Roses

MoMA – Warhol, Campbell’s Soup cans; Klimt, Adele Bloch-Bauer II; Van Gogh, Starry Night

Guggenheim – Thannhauser collection of Impressionist art

Neue Galerie – Klimt, Adele Bloch-Bauer I (Woman in Gold)

Aw, I was looking forward to more Lego sculptures.

We got to the Met at about 4pm and I made a little bit of a financial blunder. I forgot that I had read before the trip that the admission fee was “recommended” (ie. you could pay whatever you wanted). Actually, I don’t think I paid that much attention to it since I didn’t really expect to go there. Anyway, the ticket guy asked me what I wanted to pay and I just said, “The recommended amount, I guess”. He said, “Really? It’s 4 o’clock you know?” I got the hint (a little bit, but it still hadn’t quite sunk in) and told him an amount a little lower, and paid.

I would have asked for that day's 100% discount.:rotfl2:

Oh well, I guess they can just add it to their $2.5B investment portfolio.

Well, that should make you feel better. At least they needed the money.

The poor guy could never get anyone to buy his paintings while he was alive. He lived poor and depressed and dealt with Bipolar Disorder his whole life. If he saw how we now revere his work, it would bring him to tears.

Or he'd break something.

We were very confused at the whole photography issue. There were times when we’d see people taking pictures or we’d take pictures ourselves, in front of security personnel and everything was fine. Then other times, we’d get yelled at the moment we’d hold a camera up. “No pictures!!!” So, quite honestly, I didn’t know when we could or couldn’t until we got a stern rebuke and then it was pretty clear.

So, kind of the opposite of most Disney CM experiences then? Maybe only native NY folks could take photos.

Well, I wouldn't wear it.

Proof that we did see some Renaissance-type paintings too.

I would have believed you. :rotfl:

I like how you framed that one!:rotfl2:

I took this picture on the way out to show that pranksters haven’t changed much over the years, with the exception of maybe adding shaving cream to their arsenal.

Where's the bowl of warm water? Sheesh.

“Art Deco” is also a great alias. Feel free to use it...like when your Starbucks barista or your Chick Fil-A server asks for your name. Please report back on the results.
I usually go with Angus McFlubbs, but I'll give yours a go.

Finally caught up - Enjoying your NYC TR!

Another great dining suggestion. The food looks great, but the process/crowds look hectic.

I love the varied exhibits at the Met. The Van Gogh showing sounds like a great opportunity to his work. The China displays were very interesting. Score on a musical instrument exhibit. Who knew there could be a whole display on oboes! Perfect!

I can see how it would be confusing and frustrating trying to figure out when pictures were allowed.

:magnify:

It looks like you stopped for lunch at a GNC store.

Kind of, yeah. Except I don't think you can get any actual food at GNC, correct? Just supplements and vitamins and whatnot?

As the big guy continues to crowd out the little guy. God Bless America!

Go big or go home.

Yep, that pretty much sums up most shopping experiences.

A pretty typical experience, I'm sure.

Aw, I was looking forward to more Lego sculptures.

We gotta be careful, too many and we'll devalue the market.

I would have asked for that day's 100% discount.:rotfl2:

Where were you when I needed you?

Well, that should make you feel better. At least they needed the money.

It's a pretty swanky neighborhood, to only have $2B in the bank.

Or he'd break something.

Or cut off something.

So, kind of the opposite of most Disney CM experiences then? Maybe only native NY folks could take photos.

Who knows? I'm happy to obey the rules, if I can tell what they are.

Well, I wouldn't wear it.

That's why I took pictures of a couple of others -- are those more your style? The one with the black lace dragon down the back perhaps?

I would have believed you. :rotfl:

Now what fun would that be? "We went to New York City. The end."

I like how you framed that one!:rotfl2:

Thanks. Ooo, I can use "go big or go home" here too.

Where's the bowl of warm water? Sheesh.

We need an "evolution of pranking sleeping people" timeline!

I usually go with Angus McFlubbs, but I'll give yours a go.

I think this is your first post here GB, so :welcome:

Something tells me that you've never used your actual name at one of those places!

Finally caught up - Enjoying your NYC TR!

Great! Glad to have you along! :)

Another great dining suggestion. The food looks great, but the process/crowds look hectic.

It wasn't quite as good as Bengal Tiger or Dig Inn but for a lunch option, it worked just fine. The crowds weren't that bad really, just had to wait for a few people at the cashier line. I waited longer at the Steak 'n Shake.

I love the varied exhibits at the Met. The Van Gogh showing sounds like a great opportunity to his work. The China displays were very interesting.

I probably should've worked into the chapter somewhere that the place is huge and you could easily spend a day or two there. We kind of zipped through 2 or 3 exhibits in the short time we were there. It kind of reminded me of a Smithsonian-type of museum since there were so many things other than just paintings.

Score on a musical instrument exhibit. Who knew there could be a whole display on oboes! Perfect!

Now what kind of museum would it be without a display of oboes??! ;)

I can see how it would be confusing and frustrating trying to figure out when pictures were allowed.

:magnify:

Maybe it was just me, but I didn't find it very clear. Oh well, at least I didn't get thrown out. Well, we kind of did when it came to closing time, but you know what I mean.

We liked the food and I’d eat there again. It was nothing fancy, but a pretty varied array of offerings from hot to cold, spicy and not. And you loaded it up into a fancy space-age aluminum trough! I can’t remember what we paid for this, but similar to Dig Inn, it was fairly inexpensive...probably under $30 for our food and then a little more for bottled iced teas to drink.
Doesn't sound bad at all. You did a nice job on your NYC research and finding some unique places to eat that don't break the budget.

Marlene forgot her backpack in there, but I have to give her credit that she remembered it about 2 seconds after we got out the door so was able to just run back in and grab it.
Well, still bad enough that she forgot it, but better than remembering it an hour later.

We got to the Met at about 4pm and I made a little bit of a financial blunder. I forgot that I had read before the trip that the admission fee was “recommended” (ie. you could pay whatever you wanted). Actually, I don’t think I paid that much attention to it since I didn’t really expect to go there. Anyway, the ticket guy asked me what I wanted to pay and I just said, “The recommended amount, I guess”. He said, “Really? It’s 4 o’clock you know?” I got the hint (a little bit, but it still hadn’t quite sunk in) and told him an amount a little lower, and paid. After walking away, kind of perplexed, I remembered the “recommended” fee discussion I’d seen earlier and realized that I should’ve paid way less for the short amount of time that we’d be there. Oh well, I guess they can just add it to their $2.5B investment portfolio.
It makes me wonder... what is the lowest number you could throw out there without being laughed out of the place?

We then went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. As an artist (in music, but still) I was very excited to see all the museum had to offer. I was not disappointed. First we saw the Van Goghs. The museum was featuring Van Gogh’s iris and rose paintings on display, which were truly breathtaking. The thing I love so much about Van Gogh, other than the genius of his art and the fantastic use of paint, is his story. The poor guy could never get anyone to buy his paintings while he was alive. He lived poor and depressed and dealt with Bipolar Disorder his whole life. If he saw how we now revere his work, it would bring him to tears.
That really is neat that you got to see a display of Van Gogh's work.

Marlene took this (I’m guessing – illegal) picture.
But you're the one raising red flags by posting it online. :rolleyes1

Good thing Marlene didn't want that one. If you thought the clothes at Bloomingdales were expensive....

You found such cool places to eat! Your food looks great, as always.

Bloomingdales is practically a requirement when you visit NYC, so I'm glad you had a chance to wander. I'm glad for you that Marlene didn't find anything she "had to have"!

At least you made a contribution to the arts with your "contribution" at the Met? :-)

Those dresses on display are GORGEOUS in the photos. I bet they were even more stunning in person!

They're actually on Ellen's Ride at EPCOT.

Ha! I hadn't considered that!

Actually, if that were the case, they'd all be asleep.

Doesn't sound bad at all. You did a nice job on your NYC research and finding some unique places to eat that don't break the budget.

I'm not sure that I'd call it research when it was mostly on the fly, but I'll take it -- we certainly did find some decent places and they were very gentle on the budget.

Well, still bad enough that she forgot it, but better than remembering it an hour later.

Who knows where it would've been an hour later...once the bomb squad was done with it.

It makes me wonder... what is the lowest number you could throw out there without being laughed out of the place?

The internet article I read seemed to indicate that $0 was a definite option.

That really is neat that you got to see a display of Van Gogh's work.

It was pretty cool.

But you're the one raising red flags by posting it online. :rolleyes1

Yeah, but no one reads this stuff, do they?

Good thing Marlene didn't want that one. If you thought the clothes at Bloomingdales were expensive....

Good point!

You found such cool places to eat! Your food looks great, as always.

I can't pick any ordinary places when I'm traveling with those two.

Bloomingdales is practically a requirement when you visit NYC, so I'm glad you had a chance to wander. I'm glad for you that Marlene didn't find anything she "had to have"!

I think we met the requirements then -- Bloomingdales, Times Square, a cab ride, Central Park, Today Show fly-by, and kind of saw the Statue of Liberty from afar.

At least you made a contribution to the arts with your "contribution" at the Met? :-)

Yes! The arts will go on for another year or so, thanks to me. Then someone else will have to pick up the slack.

Those dresses on display are GORGEOUS in the photos. I bet they were even more stunning in person!

There were a lot more, I just didn't want to take a whole bunch of dress photos. Next thing you know, I'd be writing a PTR talking about park shoes and bags. ;) But, that gold dress was unbelievable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter