Big Apple, Boardwalk, and Beach - Bullies and Wrap-up (The End!) (pg 44)

Our band is on the run

We got back from New York City on Friday afternoon (June 19th) and I was back at work on Saturday (even though I don’t normally work on Saturdays). I had a full day’s worth of work to put in, in order to get caught back up and to get ahead of the game for the 2 weeks that I’d be gone to DisneyWorld and Hilton Head. I even went into the office so that I could work without distraction. But the good thing about it was that I could count it as a workday and take one less vacation day for the trip. Combined with a couple of holidays leading up to the July 4th weekend, I only had to take 7 vacation days for the trip. It’s so nice to have a flexible work environment, even if it means that I might have to work on a Saturday or from a hotel room on occasion.

While I was bringing home the figurative bacon, the rest of the family was doing laundry and packing and taking care of all those dozens of things you do right before a Disney trip. I joined in with those activities when I got home that night.

We’d be starting our drive on Monday, but we had one more big event before leaving -- seeing Sir Paul McCartney. This would be my fourth time to see him, and on the last occasion one thing that stood out to me was how many young kids there were in the audience. Meanwhile mine were at home, and I thought what the heck was wrong with me? My kids love the Beatles -- I’d made sure to infuse a heavy dose of Beatles, Wings, and solo-Beatles’ music into their consciousness while growing up. How cool would it be for them, at age 100, to be able to say that they saw Paul McCartney in concert? (And Bruce Springsteen too, as I took them to a concert of his last year.) So we were going to rectify that right now, even though his concert in Philly was Sunday night -- The Night Before we’d begin a marathon-drive to Florida. (Beatles reference in there for ya.) Judy was going to stay home...to save money, and to be rested for the drive the next day.

When we’ve driven to Florida before, I’ve always liked to get most of the drive out of the way on the first day (of 2) so that the second day doesn’t seem so bad. “Just a few more hours, and we’ll be in Disney! If we lived through that drive, we can live through this one.” So, following that mindset, I’d reserved a hotel room in Kingsland, Georgia, just north of the Florida line. Our original plan was to get up at oh-dark-thirty hours on Monday morning and start driving until we got there. But as I awoke on Sunday morning, I was thinking about the upcoming Paul McCartney concert and how difficult it was probably going to be to go to sleep after we got back, with our ears still ringing and adrenaline flowing. And consequently how difficult it would be to get up once we’d finally drifted off. I proposed to Judy the following: “What if...” (Met with an “Uh oh”.) “What if. If we felt up to it, of course. We got back from the concert, finished packing the van, and just started driving.” I could take the first shift, since I was on a concert-induced high, and she could take over sometime closer to dawn. We could conceivably get to our hotel in the afternoon and have plenty of time to unwind, have dinner, and get to bed early. She was up for it, but we were still going to see how we all felt upon returning from the concert. The kids thought it was a decent plan too.

The kids and I left late-afternoon for the concert. We got there crazy-early, but I’ve cut it too close before and once you get in that concert traffic, it’s just plain nerve wracking to watch the clock creep closer to showtime while you’re inching along on the highway. Plus, it gave us time to take this picture.

IMG_1991_zpsbe7p2oje.jpg

I took this next picture of the kids before the concert started. You can see how close we were. Not to the stage mind you, but to the last row of seats. Hey, we were at least in the building!

IMG_1993_zpsykbrenfb.jpg

By the time Paul took the stage, Judy was probably already zonked-out. “I’m Only Sleeping” anyone?

The stage is quite a ways down there, so any future pictures that appear to be close are actually pictures of the video screens.

IMG_1994_zpswlewer92.jpg

Even though we were pretty far away, they were fairly decent seats. A good angle to the stage, and we could see everything.

IMG_1997_zpsbmhngggv.jpg

The only bad thing was that sitting in the upper deck, people were content to actually sit. We wanted to get up and enjoy the music, but if you did you felt like you were blocking someone’s view, and you didn’t have the excuse that everyone in front of you was doing it.

IMG_2001_zpss3mexz5x.jpg

I like how in this one Paul’s knees are slightly bent, just like pictures of early Beatles performances.

IMG_2003_zps9kczzphd.jpg

The kids were loving it! We forgot to bring earplugs so James improvised with some Kleenex.

IMG_2005_zpsaf6xlof4.jpg

We saw Paul’s performance earlier in the year on the Saturday Night Live anniversary special, and we thought that he was losing some of his range, quite frankly. But not on this night, the guy has still got it. He was incredible.

IMG_2009_zps6souxxwz.jpg

By the time “Hey Jude” came around, I said “I don’t care about the people behind me who are so lame as to sit on their hands at a Paul McCartney concert”. We stood, wrapped our arms around each other, swayed to the beat, and belted out “Hey Jude” with Paul.

IMG_2015_zpshfuo6egx.jpg

It was an amazing, memorable night. The kids had the time of their lives and it was incredible for me to be able to share it with them. As much fun as we’d be having over the next couple of weeks at Disney, these couple of hours may have eclipsed them all.

Of course (with the buildup that I gave you earlier), we decided during the drive back home that we were Flying high and would prefer to wake Judy up and hit the road rather than try to go to sleep. The task that took the longest was downloading pictures from my phone, since I wanted to go into the vacation with maximum available memory. With the final loading of stuff (Carry That Weight), we got started around 2am. I drove us south of D.C., with Judy occasionally asking how I was doing, and I’d reply, “I Feel Fine”. But eventually I gave up and said, “I’m So Tired. Baby, You Can Drive My Car”, since I had had such A Hard Day’s Night. And Judy (Judy, Judy, Judy, Judaaaay!) took over the driving duties. We saw the Good Day Sunshine appearing as we drove through Virginia, and hit a North Carolina rest stop at 7am.

Okay, okay, I’ll stop with the song titles. But I loved the great time we were making, driving at that time of night/morning!

We stopped at a Starbucks at Roanoke Rapids and redeemed some free drinks we had from the Starbucks app. I had to laugh because I asked the barista to read off the syrups they have, and I zoned-out after she said “Vanilla”. It’s just like when you have the waitress list the salad dressings when you know full-well (and she does too) that you’re going to get Ranch.

Then we hit Hardees for some sausage biscuits and made it to the South Carolina line around 10:30am.

We had lunch at a Mexican place called “El Pueblo” in Waterboro, SC. It was the closest thing we could find to something gluten-free, vegetarian-y, for Judy. Our assessment of it wasn’t very good, and the service was very slow, which didn’t work well for us in travel-mode. So, sorry but I can’t recommend it.

We got to our hotel, the Comfort Suites in Kingsland, Georgia at 4pm, which was way better than how the original plan would’ve worked out (I’m resisting inserting a song title here!), I’m sure. We like this hotel chain because they have enough beds for all 5 of us, and we liked the one we’d stayed at on a previous trip in Brunswick, GA, a little farther north. This one however, was pretty shabby. I made a note that the hair dryer didn’t work. Judy loved that, not. And the Front Desk guy was a one-man show. He was there at night, he was there in the morning. The customer service was a little lacking. We decided afterwards that if we make this drive again, we’d go back to the Comfort Suites in Brunswick rather than this one.

I’d picked this hotel over the one we’d stayed at in Brunswick for a couple of reasons. One, it was a little closer to Disney. And two, it looked like it had more restaurant options. There was a Chick Fil-A, Applebees, Taco Bell, Bonzai Steakhouse, Longhorn Steakhouse, KFC, Ruby Tuesday, Burger King, and McDonalds (and more). However...as we exited I-95 and approached the hotel, we saw one place that we had to try. It was a little shack on the lot of a Chevron station called “Malson’s BBQ”.

2631C6A1-BDB0-4127-A3F6-A644D5C242E5_zpsrqxb3tse.jpg

I’m sure the sign to the left of the window caught your eye.

Anyway, they offered pulled pork, pulled beef, chicken, and ribs, and you can see in the next few pictures that amongst us, we pretty much ordered across the menu. I got the pulled beef, and I chose...poorly. I thought it had kind of a strange taste. Somebody else, I’m thinking it was Marlene, let me try some of their pulled pork and it was really good. So, I’d recommend stopping here, but definitely go with the pork!

IMG_8580_zpsumfwrkja.jpg

IMG_8581_zpsgsmi8tka.jpg

IMG_8582_zpsuguzoeka.jpg

IMG_8583_zpsdlv5wnwg.jpg

Bellies full, we tucked ourselves in early. After our Golden Slumbers, we’d make our final push to Disney tomorrow.

Coming Up (see what I did there?): And you said this wouldn't be fun

Last edited:
Hey! Awesome! I'm glad that you could kinda, sorta find her... maybe?

We couldn’t have done it without her help! We were going frame-by-frame and she’d say, “okay, I was next to this person”, “behind this person”, etc., so that we could narrow it down. I think the best one is the picture on the right, where you can see her skinny frame and her eye. “That’s Wazowski with one ‘I’ !” :laughing:

Congratulations, Marlene! It's definitely an experience of a lifetime and I'm glad that you were able to take part in the parade.

I think she was glad to do it, once.

So cool Marlene had that opportunity to March in the parade. What a neat experience!

I think she was glad for the experience but doesn’t need to do it again. We had fun watching for her though!

Glad you enjoyed your trip to the big apple and you came home with your luggage.

My heartbeat increased there at that one moment, I think!

Looking forward to the next phase of your adventure.

Thanks for hanging in there with me Mary Kay.

I saw Sir Paul 2 or 3 years ago at Miller Park in Milwaukee, my third time seeing him. It was maybe the best concert I've ever seen, and I've seen lots of them. Open air baseball stadium, temperatures in the 90's and stifling humidity, and the guy brought it for 2.5+ hrs. Amazing. What struck me is when he'd tell a story about seeing Hendrix, or "this is the guitar I played when we recorded this song for Sgt. Pepper's", or when you realize that that the bass he plays is the same one he played on Ed Sullivan. It really hits home what you are seeing.

We had lunch at a Mexican place called “El Pueblo” in Waterboro, SC.

Walterboro Maybe???? That is usually where we go to Cracker Barrel.... For QUICK service.:rolleyes1

We got to our hotel, the Comfort Suites in Kingsland, Georgia at 4pm,

We may have stayed at that same one in November!!!! Exit 3 hidden back between a zillion other motels ? Naval base Comfort Suites? I will say it must have had a refurb then since ours seemed to have new carpet and newer rooms. Of course we arrived late in a crazy rain storm and left pre-dawn the next morning. Only odd thing was the first room we are assigned was actually occupied!!!! :scared1: Somehow the desk guy assigned us a room on the 3rd floor but told us the 2nd. Boy was THAT guy surprised!!!!

e’d stayed at on a previous trip in Brunswick, GA,

I think we have stayed there too. But I just checked and No so maybe just for gas. I guess I should explain since Disney is usually a 1 day drive for us. If we leave late in the afternoon or early evening the night before we will stop around that area. The night we stayed in Kingsland, I had to work the weekend so we left the Charlotte are at 5pm right after I closed down my facility.

This one however, was pretty shabby. I made a note that the hair dryer didn’t work. Judy loved that, not. And the Front Desk guy was a one-man show. He was there at night, he was there in the morning. The customer service was a little lacking. We decided afterwards that if we make this drive again, we’d go back to the Comfort Suites in Brunswick rather than this one.

Sorry to hear that but like I said up there.. The one we stayed at seemed remodeled.

However...as we exited I-95 and approached the hotel, we saw one place that we had to try. It was a little shack on the lot of a Chevron station called “Malson’s BBQ”.

Sometimes those are the best ones!!!!

Yes it did.!!! :rotfl2:

We couldn’t have done it without her help! We were going frame-by-frame and she’d say, “okay, I was next to this person”, “behind this person”, etc., so that we could narrow it down. I think the best one is the picture on the right, where you can see her skinny frame and her eye. “That’s Wazowski with one ‘I’ !” :laughing:

:rotfl2: We were looking too!!!

The picture on the right is from the CBS broadcast, when they were just marching down the street (ie. not doing a routine).

Caught the replys obviously but went back to see the picture and sure - yup- we saw that.......:rolleyes1

Again, What a great experience for her.

Paul came to Buffalo but the $400 tickets were tooooo rich for me , but on of my staff went (he was given tickets ) and said it was one heck of a show he put on!! I never have actually seen him but he was my favorite Beatle. I did see the Beatles impersonators in Lake George this year and they were staying at the same hotel , I got to chat with "George" and have a pix of him and his manager with me !!!!

We got back from New York City on Friday afternoon (June 19th) and I was back at work on Saturday (even though I don’t normally work on Saturdays).
Booo!

I had a full day’s worth of work to put in, in order to get caught back up and to get ahead of the game for the 2 weeks that I’d be gone to DisneyWorld and Hilton Head. I even went into the office so that I could work without distraction. But the good thing about it was that I could count it as a workday and take one less vacation day for the trip. Combined with a couple of holidays leading up to the July 4th weekend, I only had to take 7 vacation days for the trip. It’s so nice to have a flexible work environment, even if it means that I might have to work on a Saturday or from a hotel room on occasion.
Well, that flexibility certainly is nice. I guess it makes sense to work on a Saturday in this case.

I took this next picture of the kids before the concert started. You can see how close we were. Not to the stage mind you, but to the last row of seats. Hey, we were at least in the building!
You're closer than those 4 or 5 rows behind you! :thumbsup2

Even though we were pretty far away, they were fairly decent seats. A good angle to the stage, and we could see everything.
Awesome! And I'm sure you could hear from that far away. And that's really the main thing at a concert, right?

The kids were loving it! We forgot to bring earplugs so James improvised with some Kleenex.
Ok... maybe not.

By the time “Hey Jude” came around, I said “I don’t care about the people behind me who are so lame as to sit on their hands at a Paul McCartney concert”. We stood, wrapped our arms around each other, swayed to the beat, and belted out “Hey Jude” with Paul.
Love. This. Song. I think you're justified in blocking the view of a few people.

I drove us south of D.C., with Judy occasionally asking how I was doing, and I’d reply, “I Feel Fine”. But eventually I gave up and said, “I’m So Tired. Baby, You Can Drive My Car”, since I had had such A Hard Day’s Night. And Judy (Judy, Judy, Judy, Judaaaay!) took over the driving duties. We saw the Good Day Sunshine appearing as we drove through Virginia, and hit a North Carolina rest stop at 7am.
:thumbsup2 :rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

But I loved the great time we were making, driving at that time of night/morning!
That is why I love driving at night. Just set the cruise and roll right along.

::yes:: Small BBQ places are almost always good in the south. I think you made a good choice, but I'm sorry the beef didn't quite do it for you.

But the good thing about it was that I could count it as a workday and take one less vacation day for the trip. Combined with a couple of holidays leading up to the July 4th weekend, I only had to take 7 vacation days for the trip. It’s so nice to have a flexible work environment, even if it means that I might have to work on a Saturday or from a hotel room on occasion.

Wow, that is a pretty sweet arrangement. Nice to see a workplace that still understands it has actual human beings working for it.

While I was bringing home the figurative bacon

Figurative? Disappointing.

“What if. If we felt up to it, of course. We got back from the concert, finished packing the van, and just started driving.”

I would go down in flaming wreckage if I tried this, but more power to you!

Hey, we were at least in the building!

Wells Fargo Center? I know those seats well. They're the only ones I can afford at Flyers games.

I agree. Even from there, I can still read the names on players' jerseys.

The only bad thing was that sitting in the upper deck, people were content to actually sit. We wanted to get up and enjoy the music, but if you did you felt like you were blocking someone’s view, and you didn’t have the excuse that everyone in front of you was doing it.

This is why I don't like to go to live concerts. I'm the grumpy old man there who just wants to sit and, you know, listen to the musician I paid to hear.

And I'd be the grumpy lame-o behind you sitting on his hands and thinking, "Sit down! I paid eighty bucks to hear Paul sing, not you!" :rotfl2:

So, yeah, I think it's best if I just buy the songs on iTunes.

It was an amazing, memorable night. The kids had the time of their lives and it was incredible for me to be able to share it with them. As much fun as we’d be having over the next couple of weeks at Disney, these couple of hours may have eclipsed them all.

Wow! I'm glad you made the decision to take them! Sounds like a really memorable family evening.

With the final loading of stuff (Carry That Weight), we got started around 2am. I drove us south of D.C., with Judy occasionally asking how I was doing, and I’d reply, “I Feel Fine”. But eventually I gave up and said, “I’m So Tired. Baby, You Can Drive My Car”, since I had had such A Hard Day’s Night. And Judy (Judy, Judy, Judy, Judaaaay!) took over the driving duties. We saw the Good Day Sunshine appearing as we drove through Virginia, and hit a North Carolina rest stop at 7am.

Okay, okay, I’ll stop with the song titles. But I loved the great time we were making, driving at that time of night/morning!

:worship::worship:

I had to laugh because I asked the barista to read off the syrups they have, and I zoned-out after she said “Vanilla”. It’s just like when you have the waitress list the salad dressings when you know full-well (and she does too) that you’re going to get Ranch.

:rotfl::rotfl2: Or the people who stand in McDonald's and stare at the menu for 10 minutes. Gosh, what should I get??

However...as we exited I-95 and approached the hotel, we saw one place that we had to try. It was a little shack on the lot of a Chevron station called “Malson’s BBQ”.

Ooh, yes please!

Of course it did!:lmao: But I have to admit, "Free Pulled Pork Samples" caught my eye too.

I saw Sir Paul 2 or 3 years ago at Miller Park in Milwaukee, my third time seeing him. It was maybe the best concert I've ever seen, and I've seen lots of them. Open air baseball stadium, temperatures in the 90's and stifling humidity, and the guy brought it for 2.5+ hrs. Amazing. What struck me is when he'd tell a story about seeing Hendrix, or "this is the guitar I played when we recorded this song for Sgt. Pepper's", or when you realize that that the bass he plays is the same one he played on Ed Sullivan. It really hits home what you are seeing.

Hi AaronInWI!! :welcome: So glad to have you along. Roll up for the Magical Mystery Tour.

That concert you describe sounds like the first time I saw him, but it was sometime in the early '90's, in the old Philadelphia Veterans Stadium. You are so right about his stories, and the instruments he's playing will be in museums at some point in the future. After one song he did a little dance, which my kids thought was just the cutest/funniest thing. But you can tell that he still loves being on stage.

Walterboro Maybe???? That is usually where we go to Cracker Barrel.... For QUICK service.:rolleyes1

Yes, that's the one. I probably jotted it down wrong in my notes. Or maybe I just changed the name to protect the not-so-innocent.

Dang, I've got my Cracker Barrel's all mixed up. I haven't been to one since that one on our way to Hilton Head in 2014. And I haven't actually eaten at one since I don't know when!! :laughing:

We may have stayed at that same one in November!!!! Exit 3 hidden back between a zillion other motels ? Naval base Comfort Suites? I will say it must have had a refurb then since ours seemed to have new carpet and newer rooms. Of course we arrived late in a crazy rain storm and left pre-dawn the next morning. Only odd thing was the first room we are assigned was actually occupied!!!! :scared1: Somehow the desk guy assigned us a room on the 3rd floor but told us the 2nd. Boy was THAT guy surprised!!!!

Yep, that's the one all right. Did the key work, that you actually walked in on him??!

I think we have stayed there too. But I just checked and No so maybe just for gas. I guess I should explain since Disney is usually a 1 day drive for us. If we leave late in the afternoon or early evening the night before we will stop around that area. The night we stayed in Kingsland, I had to work the weekend so we left the Charlotte are at 5pm right after I closed down my facility.

That one is really in a strange location, you have drive back (maybe through) a big truck gas station to find it. But we found the rooms to be in good condition.

Sorry to hear that but like I said up there.. The one we stayed at seemed remodeled.

Well that's good. It needed it, I can say that.

Sometimes those are the best ones!!!!

You gotta try 'em right? I mean, you know what you're going to get at all of these chain restaurants. You might miss a gem if you don't try the little guy.

Yes it did.!!! :rotfl2:

I'm sure.

:rotfl2: We were looking too!!!

Thanks. You really needed the benefit of having Marlene going through it with you to be able to find her though!

Caught the replys obviously but went back to see the picture and sure - yup- we saw that.......:rolleyes1

Again, What a great experience for her.

Thanks Pat!

Paul came to Buffalo but the $400 tickets were tooooo rich for me , but on of my staff went (he was given tickets ) and said it was one heck of a show he put on!! I never have actually seen him but he was my favorite Beatle. I did see the Beatles impersonators in Lake George this year and they were staying at the same hotel , I got to chat with "George" and have a pix of him and his manager with me !!!!

I was able to get these seats for a little over $100 each...I think the total for 4 of us was around $500, which was doable. The Rolling Stones, the year before, was like what you're describing. Marlene really wanted to see them (and still does), but I couldn't find anything for less than $400. Crazy. I've seen them before too, and they were phenomenal so I'd love to see them again too, but not at that price.

Booo!

Well, that flexibility certainly is nice. I guess it makes sense to work on a Saturday in this case.

I guess it was a small price to pay to be on vacation for a couple of weeks. Had to get a bunch of stuff done that I would normally do before month-end.

You're closer than those 4 or 5 rows behind you! :thumbsup2

There may have been a few people in the place that envied my seats. Although they were probably too busy envying the people way closer.

Awesome! And I'm sure you could hear from that far away. And that's really the main thing at a concert, right?

Correct. Too low sound volume was not an issue!

Ok... maybe not.

Yes, see above.

Love. This. Song. I think you're justified in blocking the view of a few people.

I thought so too, thanks for agreeing with me!

I like some of the ones that aren't "the biggies" (like Yesterday, Hey Jude, etc.). Looking back at the set list, I really enjoyed Another Girl, Let Me Roll It, Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five, and Hi, Hi, Hi. Oh, one of the best parts was the first set of pyrotechnics in Live and Let Die -- I'd told the kids a hundred times when playing that song at home, where the pyrotechnics are when he plays that song in concert. They forgot, and were completely blown away when it happened. So cool.

I could've done way, way, way more, but it was getting annoying even to me!

That is why I love driving at night. Just set the cruise and roll right along.

As long as you can stay awake, it's awesome!

::yes:: Small BBQ places are almost always good in the south. I think you made a good choice, but I'm sorry the beef didn't quite do it for you.

It's was worth a try. And now we know, if we ever stop there again.

Wow, that is a pretty sweet arrangement. Nice to see a workplace that still understands it has actual human beings working for it.

We'll see if that holds up. Times are about to get "interesting".

Figurative? Disappointing.

I don't work for Hillshire Farms or Johnsonville, so yeah it's all just figurative.

I would go down in flaming wreckage if I tried this, but more power to you!

You have to go to a rock concert beforehand and have music pumped into your eardrums at a decibel-level equivalent of standing behind a jet engine. Then you can stay awake for a few extra hours.

Wells Fargo Center? I know those seats well. They're the only ones I can afford at Flyers games.

You are correct sir!

I agree. Even from there, I can still read the names on players' jerseys.

I didn't see any names on the back of these guys' jerseys.

This is why I don't like to go to live concerts. I'm the grumpy old man there who just wants to sit and, you know, listen to the musician I paid to hear.

You're at the wrong venue -- the Kimmel Center sounds like it's more your speed. ;) (No offense intended! I love going to the Kimmel Center too.) But I said to the kids on the way home, that I think Paul would prefer to have people up dancing and singing than just sitting there.

Hey, Springsteen tickets go on sale Friday (they look a little expensive, so I'm not sure if I'm going to go this time around). I defy you to sit still at one of his shows!

And I'd be the grumpy lame-o behind you sitting on his hands and thinking, "Sit down! I paid eighty bucks to hear Paul sing, not you!" :rotfl2:

So, yeah, I think it's best if I just buy the songs on iTunes.

Aw get up, move your booty, and enjoy yourself!

Wow! I'm glad you made the decision to take them! Sounds like a really memorable family evening.

Me too. It was great!

:rotfl::rotfl2: Or the people who stand in McDonald's and stare at the menu for 10 minutes. Gosh, what should I get??

Yeah, you can't decide before you get there because you know, the menu may have changed.
surprised.gif

Ooh, yes please!

Hard to resist a roadside BBQ shack.

Of course it did!:lmao: But I have to admit, "Free Pulled Pork Samples" caught my eye too.

drooling_homer-712749_gif.png.jpg

That is so awesome that Marlene marched in the parade. Not everyone can say they've done that before!

What a memory you made with the kids at the concert! I would love to have gone. I know it's not nearly the same but I saw the Beatles Love cirque in Las Vegas and it was incredible. I just love the Beatles. I was born in Liverpool ::yes::

We stayed in Valdosta when we drove to Disney and I was not impressed. Next time we will just drive straight through. But we are much closer than you. Lol

Anyway, I need a job like yours...I need some flexibility like you. Even though they really let me do whatever I want...I think I have them tricked into thinking I'm the boss!! :rotfl2:

That is so awesome that Marlene marched in the parade. Not everyone can say they've done that before!

She'll have something to tell her kids on future Thanksgiving mornings, which is pretty cool!

What a memory you made with the kids at the concert! I would love to have gone. I know it's not nearly the same but I saw the Beatles Love cirque in Las Vegas and it was incredible. I just love the Beatles. I was born in Liverpool ::yes::

Do you have a Liverpudlian accent Jen? I'm sure that the Cirque show was amazing. I remember seeing a Beatles cover band at a shopping mall when I was in college and I probably stood there for an hour watching them, so I get it. Oh, I also saw Beatlemania a long time ago too.

We stayed in Valdosta when we drove to Disney and I was not impressed. Next time we will just drive straight through. But we are much closer than you. Lol

I've been to Valdosta! There's actually a couple of hotels and chain restaurants there. I was afraid it was going to be a one-stoplight town with just an old fleabag-hotel, so I was pleasantly surprised. It's probably all about expectations, right?! When I went there, I was on a business trip with a couple of other guys and we were driving from Mobile to Valdosta. About halfway there we passed a barbecue place, kind of like the one in this last chapter. I couldn't convince them to stop, they were too afraid to try it. Instead, we went to a KFC down the road and it was the worst KFC I've ever been to. They should've listed to me!

Anyway, I need a job like yours...I need some flexibility like you. Even though they really let me do whatever I want...I think I have them tricked into thinking I'm the boss!! :rotfl2:

Well, it probably depends on the type of job too. Mine is busier in the first couple weeks of the month so when I was taking vacation was kind of a down-time, but there were a few things that had to get done ahead of time. When I get farther into the trip report there'll be a time or two that I had to get on the computer and get some tasks done.

And if you have them tricked into thinking you're the boss, sounds like it's time make some changes around there!

Yep, that's the one all right. Did the key work, that you actually walked in on him??!

Funny/scary story I guess - I went up first with some stuff while Marv parked the car. My key would not work but after a try or two I just stopped trying. Marv came up and used the key he had and his key worked. I was standing off to the side so I saw nothing but yup the door opened and he was greeted by the occupant. :scared1: So back downstairs and I guess it was shift change at the desk because there were about 3 people back there and the oldest of the people had done the check in and had to look up everything and correct his mistake. The Woman behind the desk taking over, when she heard who was in the room we were given said " well he is a frequent customer" of which I am not sure how to take that...:eek:
Anyway we went to the right room , 1 floor up and tried not to stomp on the floor. :rotfl2:

That one is really in a strange location, you have drive back (maybe through) a big truck gas station to find it. But we found the rooms to be in good condition.
Yes exactly.... I always find the comfort/quality can be a gamble. We try to make sure the reviews are decent. We have never just left to find somewhere else but sometimes we make a note not to repeat... :rolleyes: :rotfl2:

Ah, Sir Paul. I saw him in Milwaukee in the summer of 1994 when I was just 19. I grew up with the Beatles as my parents (dad especially) were huge fans. It was absolutely one of the 2 best concerts I've ever seen (the best being Elton John and Billy Joel the same summer). So glad your kids got to see him!

Glad you got on the road after the concert. That was smart. Sounds like you made really good time!

Sorry your lunch wasn't great and the hotel was also not great. That stinks. We never make reservations on the way down, just stop when we get tired, but we use some road app to find one with good reviews and we've had good luck.

That BBQ place though, yum! And yes, I noticed the sign. :)

Sorry Glenn, gonna take me a while to dig myself out after my self-induced, but very necessary DISHiatus to finish up the Term. Great chapter and even better plan to get a move on! I'd probably do that kinda thing too. Bummer on the crappy hotel though- pork butts always make up for that. So yay for that! I like 'em too.

“I Feel Fine”. But eventually I gave up and said, “I’m So Tired. Baby, You Can Drive My Car”, since I had had such A Hard Day’s Night. And Judy (Judy, Judy, Judy, Judaaaay!) took over the driving duties. We saw the Good Day Sunshine appearing as we drove through Virginia, and hit a North Carolina rest stop at 7am.

That was very excellent. Thanks. :P

I would love to see Sir Paul. My favorite concert ever is Elton John who I've been lucky enough to see twice.

That BBQ place looks good! The best BBQ is always in a gas station. :)

Jill in CO

Hey there Glenn! So cool Marlene got to march in the parade! I did see her band, I was just off the internet at the time at my mom's and didn't know someone I "knew" was in the band!

I love that you made that concert memory with your kids, and that they enjoyed the music as much as you! Pretty special night for you - especially the midnight run to Georgia! (That sounds like a country song). :charac2::music::rockband:

Sounds like the concert was a great kickoff to your vaca. A memory you and your kids will have forever. Home your stay at the Boardwalk is better than your hotel. Looking forward to your next update.

Mary Kay

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter