Big Apple, Boardwalk, and Beach - Bullies and Wrap-up (The End!) (pg 44)

Meanwhile, back in the city...(And Dig Inn and Phantom)

While the ladies were up in the Bronx with flower petals pressed to their nostrils, Glennbo was slaving away in the city. In my job there are some tasks that have to be performed on particular workdays of the month. When I originally booked the trip, my busiest day would’ve been two days prior. But in the meantime, our work schedule changed and put one of my busiest days on our first full day in the city. My only choices were to work from the hotel room or not go on the trip, so I opted to work from the hotel room.

I was up and working by 7:30. Here was my setup. “Command Central”:

IMG_8480_zpsel1nfot0.jpg

I didn’t have any trouble getting on the hotel’s wireless and working remotely. Just picture me typing away at the laptop keyboard, working in Excel, highlighting data, entering formulas, and throw in the occasional control-C and control-V for good measure. Very exciting stuff.

I did go up to the top floor to see about breakfast, and they had a continental breakfast buffet , kind of like what you’d get for free at some of your more economical motels, for $14.95. I decided I’d save some money and just have some pumpernickel toast in the room.

At one point I took a picture of room layouts from the back of the door. Not so that I could see where the fire escapes are, several months after the fact, as valuable as that is, but I thought that it showed how different the layouts are from suite to suite. Kind of interesting.

IMG_8479_zpsb3ubl8v5.jpg

Lunchtime came and I was still pretty busy, so I was tempted to just find something from a deli or sandwich shop and bring it back to the room, but that would have been a real waste of this opportunity to experience some more of the city. I had to do something at least a little more memorable than that. So I went to Steak ‘n Shake. I think I again looked at Yelp to see what was near me, and to be honest, I had this place confused with Shake Shack, which I’ve heard good things about. But hey, it’s still a burger and a shake. Can’t be all bad.

I took this picture while waiting for my order to come up. I’d already ordered on the opposite side, where the woman in the red sweater is. There were only a couple of people ahead of me when I got there, but the line got pretty long immediately after.

IMG_8481_zpson04pj9e.jpg

One more picture on my way out just to declare, “I’m a tourist and I’m not above taking a picture of the most mundane things in your lives, even this hamburger joint!!”

IMG_8482_zpswgskj2vw.jpg

I crossed the street and took a picture of the Steak ‘n Shake and the Ed Sullivan Theater. David Letterman’s name had already been covered on the marquee.

IMG_8483_zpsmgasfaqe.jpg

Once I put all of my and Marlene’s photos into Photobucket, it was kind of neat to sort them by date/time and see what they were doing at the gardens while I was doing things in the city. For example, their picture of the koi pond was taken while I was in Steak ‘n Shake. Okay, maybe not that interesting. But it was interesting to me!

I thought that it’d be much nicer to sit on the grass and eat my lunch in Central Park than to head back to the room.

IMG_8485_zpsophwtrye.jpg

The food was decent. The hamburger patties were a little different than I’m used to...they seemed to be a little flatter, but not bad. The fries were good.

My view. Looking to the left. That’s Columbus Circle in the distance.

IMG_8487_zpstcq1l4vo.jpg

And looking straight ahead.

IMG_8488_zps7lvirmpc.jpg

It was really relaxing to sit and eat in the park. And I only got mugged twice. (Just kidding!) Seriously though, I thought that if a visitor only ever saw the park, they’d think that New Yorkers never worked...there were so many people sitting, bike riding, and kids playing. People were just all-around enjoying the nice day.

On my way out of the park I took this picture of a statue at the south-western corner of Central Park, near Columbus Circle.

IMG_8489_zps7iqofpur.jpg

Judy and Marlene got back around 3:30 and rested a little bit. I was hoping to get done early, but worked right up until 5. You gotta do what you gotta do. But I was glad that I was able to get it done from the room.

For dinner, I looked on Yelp again to find some gluten-free/vegetarian-type of options. One that sounded promising to me was Dig Inn, and since Marlene wrote a little bit about dinner, I’ll let her chime in now.

That evening, we got food from “Dig Inn”. Mom’s favorite. My meal was salmon (my favorite fish) with vegetables and bulgur wheat - we sell it where I work (she worked at a natural foods grocery store over the summer) but I hadn’t ever tried any. I thought it was pretty fantastic. Judy has put bulgur wheat in homemade soups for years, and apparently Marlene has never known.

They have a bunch of locations in the city, but we went to the one at 40 W 55th street. We had trouble finding it, and were this close to giving up when either Judy or Marlene spotted the Dig Inn name in a window across the street from where we were walking. I looked it up on Google maps streetview just now and still had trouble seeing it -- it’s small and just seems to blend in. But the food is good, so it’s worth the search!

IMG_8490_zpsx6nygpq6.jpg

This place was pretty interesting, and as Marlene noted, it turned out to be Judy’s favorite of the trip. You could select a “big” or “small” plate, and then picked 1) a protein, 2) a grain or green, and 3) two sides. And they loaded them up. We all got small plates, and when Judy was getting hers it looked like they were putting so much on that I said, “hey, I thought you got a small plate” (like I’d gotten snookered into ordering a small when she’d order a large). And she goes, “I did!”

They had a couple of chairs by the window that you could sit at to eat, but this place is really a grab-and-go kind of situation. I could see it being very popular for lunch. We took ours back to the suite.

I thought to take a picture of the outside as we left. I know that it doesn’t look like it’d be hard to find, but in amongst all of the other sights, we almost missed it. This was another inexpensive meal. It was probably around $40 for our 3 plates and 3 iced teas.

IMG_8491_zps0ar5weq2.jpg

Here are our plates. Mine is the one in the lower left. I got meatballs (which were particularly good), brown rice, sriracha beans, and cauliflower/chick peas. Judy got meatballs, sriracha beans, and kale/rhubarb salad. Marlene got salmon salad, bulgur wheat, spring vegetables, and kale/rhubarb salad. I jotted down some quotes from Judy and they went like this: "Oh my gosh. This food is really good!" "Oh my gosh. I'm going to end up eating it all!" I’m pretty sure Judy wishes we had one of these shops near us.

IMG_8492_zpsz5bmrpze.jpg

Then came Phantom of the Opera. I was on cloud 9 :cloud9: for this show. I’d seen it before, but from seats that were further back and up from the stage. This time we were lower and closer to the stage, with a more full view of everything going on. It was intense at times, with a lot of the familiar and wonderful operatic elegance that I love about this show. Needless to say, I would see it again a million times.

Let me give a little more background here. I need to go back to December of last year, which was when I started needling Marlene to make a decision on which play we’d see. I wanted to make sure we got decent seats to whichever show she picked and had looked at the ticketing website of Wicked and saw that seats were starting to sell. Not a lot, but you know, enough that we needed to get ours booked. I suggested that we see Wicked, since Lauren and Judy loved it so much on their trip, but Marlene wanted to see Phantom of the Opera. She has the music from it on her iPod and just loves it. She knew that I wasn’t an Andrew Lloyd Webber fan after I saw “Cats” in Buffalo and I absolutely hated it. But she persisted and since it was her trip, I went ahead and bought tickets. No more than a week later, her high school band released the itinerary of a trip they were taking to New York City in the spring and guess what they were going to do? They were going to see a performance of “Phantom of the Opera”! I was disappointed, but as she indicated in her comments above, Marlene was not. She loved seeing it during the band trip and was eager to see it again. James was also along on the band trip and when he told me that it was really good and that he’d see it again, I wasn’t so pessimistic and started to warm up to the idea. (But between you and me, I really wanted to “Fish in the Dark”, written by “Seinfeld” co-creator Larry David. By the time we went, it starred Jason Alexander, who played George Costanza on Seinfeld, rather than Larry David, but I’m sure it would have been a riot. But again, it wasn’t my trip!)

We walked down Broadway to 44th street to get to the theater. On our way, we passed a big group of schoolkids that were probably late-elementary school or middle school age. There were so many of them that it took us a few blocks to pass them all. At one of the lights, when the “walk” symbol came on, one of their chaperones said, “All right kids, come on! Shake ‘n Bake! Shake ‘n Bake!”. We told Judy about it the next day and it kind of became a “thing” for the rest of the trip. Even at DisneyWorld, if we needed to get our little group moving, we’d say “C’mon! Shake ‘n Bake! Shake ‘n Bake!”

Marlene in front of the theater. You can see her in the middle of the picture, in her green army-type of jacket.

IMG_1971_zpslvy34ewt.jpg

IMG_1972_zpsywvgdg8u.jpg

In our seats, waiting for the show to start.

IMG_1974_zps6nmhgbzn.jpg

Here’s a pre-show picture that Marlene took. It reminded me that after she took this, some people sat in those empty seats in front of us. The woman took out her cell phone, held it up over her head and started taking video of the whole room, panning in a slow circle. We were literally right behind her, 3 feet away from the phone. So of course, when she pans past me, I couldn’t resist making one of my dumb faces. I think I gave her the one that I made for the ride camera on Space Mountain our last trip. Yeah, that one...yikes. They’re making memes of me in China now.

109_zpsn8l3u63o.jpg

The chandelier at intermission, heading up to the ceiling.

IMG_1976_zpsdhvmzf1c.jpg

Some stuff in the play even occurs up there amongst those cherub figures. He is the phantom of the opera, after all.

IMG_1977_zpshj75dq1n.jpg

I was good and didn’t take any pictures during the show. Just a couple from the curtain call.

IMG_1978_zps7vabshpo.jpg

IMG_1981_zpslt6m7aoy.jpg

I have to say that the show was utterly amazing. To be the musician playing the organ for the opening sequence of the play has to be the greatest gig in New York City. It was like they gave him a general outline of the melody and then paid him by the note, because he or she was all over that keyboard. The joint was absolutely rocking, and I had to think that people walking by on the sidewalk outside could probably see the building shaking and hear all of the music pouring out. There was some humor thrown in as well, particularly in the play-within-the-play, and in another scene when several characters have received letters from the phantom. And visually, they did some things that I don’t even know how they did -- I mean, at one point it looked like the phantom was boating on an unground body of water with candles floating in it, and I completely bought it. And for the song “Masquerade”, the stage is made up like a ballroom and the whole company is costumed and singing, coming down a huge flight of stairs. I let out an audible “Wow!”

So, it turned out that seeing “Phantom of the Opera” was a major highlight of the trip for me. Who’d a thunk it?

Up next: Top of the Rock

Last edited:
Well of course Phantom is a great show! I've also read the book.

I doubt I would have liked the vegetarian place as I'm a meat and potatos person.

Well, too bad you had to work, but a lunch break in Central Park doesn't seem all bad. I love Steak N Shake, but it is rich because it is, well, steak. :rotfl2: I pretty much stay away because I can't resist the giant shakes, and we like In N Out better.

Dinner looks really fresh and yummy. Haven't heard of Dig Inn before. Glad you enjoyed Phantom so much and had good seats. Nice on the crazy face! :crazy: I'm wonder if she edited you out. :rotfl2:

When I originally booked the trip, my busiest day would’ve been two days prior. But in the meantime, our work schedule changed and put one of my busiest days on our first full day in the city. My only choices were to work from the hotel room or not go on the trip, so I opted to work from the hotel room.

I was up and working by 7:30. Here was my setup. “Command Central”:
Well, it stinks to have to work on vacation... but at least you still got to go.

I did go up to the top floor to see about breakfast, and they had a continental breakfast buffet , kind of like what you’d get for free at some of your more economical motels, for $14.95. I decided I’d save some money and just have some pumpernickel toast in the room.
That's what I hate... you can stay in a HI Express in any given city for half the cost of that nice deluxe hotel downtown... yet at the HI Express you get free internet, free breakfast, etc. And that other place charges you a ridiculous fee for everything!

Lunchtime came and I was still pretty busy, so I was tempted to just find something from a deli or sandwich shop and bring it back to the room, but that would have been a real waste of this opportunity to experience some more of the city. I had to do something at least a little more memorable than that. So I went to Steak ‘n Shake.
Um... wow. Really branching out and trying something new there, huh?

I crossed the street and took a picture of the Steak ‘n Shake and the Ed Sullivan Theater. David Letterman’s name had already been covered on the marquee.
You were that close to the Ed Sullivan theater and went to Steak n Shake????

I'd have gone to the Hello Deli. There's not even anything else to consider.

Well, it does look like the NYC Steak n Shakes have better fries. They aren't those stringy, skinny little things that they serve around here.

Here are our plates. Mine is the one in the lower left. I got meatballs (which were particularly good), brown rice, sriracha beans, and cauliflower/chick peas. Judy got meatballs, sriracha beans, and kale/rhubarb salad. Marlene got salmon salad, bulgur wheat, spring vegetables, and kale/rhubarb salad. I jotted down some quotes from Judy and they went like this: "Oh my gosh. This food is really good!" "Oh my gosh. I'm going to end up eating it all!" I’m pretty sure Judy wishes we had one of these shops near us.
It really does look delicious. I think you chose a good place to try!

Let me give a little more background here. I need to go back to December of last year, which was when I started needling Marlene to make a decision on which play we’d see. I wanted to make sure we got decent seats to whichever show she picked and had looked at the ticketing website of Wicked and saw that seats were starting to sell. Not a lot, but you know, enough that we needed to get ours booked. I suggested that we see Wicked, since Lauren and Judy loved it so much on their trip, but Marlene wanted to see Phantom of the Opera. She has the music from it on her iPod and just loves it. She knew that I wasn’t an Andrew Lloyd Webber fan after I saw “Cats” in Buffalo and I absolutely hated it. But she persisted and since it was her trip, I went ahead and bought tickets. No more than a week later, her high school band released the itinerary of a trip they were taking to New York City in the spring and guess what they were going to do? They were going to see a performance of “Phantom of the Opera”! I was disappointed, but as she indicated in her comments above, Marlene was not. She loved seeing it during the band trip and was eager to see it again. James was also along on the band trip and when he told me that it was really good and that he’d see it again, I wasn’t so pessimistic and started to warm up to the idea. (But between you and me, I really wanted to “Fish in the Dark”, written by “Seinfeld” co-creator Larry David. By the time we went, it starred Jason Alexander, who played George Costanza on Seinfeld, rather than Larry David, but I’m sure it would have been a riot. But again, it wasn’t my trip!)
I can see your trepidation about it. But as you said, it is her trip. And if it is something she loves, then you've got to go along with it.

At one of the lights, when the “walk” symbol came on, one of their chaperones said, “All right kids, come on! Shake ‘n Bake! Shake ‘n Bake!”.
They've watched Talladega Nights way too many times.

e32fe9e8e6acaaaa72cf50c964fccc90.600x451x1.jpg

So of course, when she pans past me, I couldn’t resist making one of my dumb faces. I think I gave her the one that I made for the ride camera on Space Mountain our last trip. Yeah, that one...yikes. They’re making memes of me in China now.
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

To be the musician playing the organ for the opening sequence of the play has to be the greatest gig in New York City. It was like they gave him a general outline of the melody and then paid him by the note, because he or she was all over that keyboard. The joint was absolutely rocking, and I had to think that people walking by on the sidewalk outside could probably see the building shaking and hear all of the music pouring out.
That's awesome!

So, it turned out that seeing “Phantom of the Opera” was a major highlight of the trip for me. Who’d a thunk it?
I'm glad that it turned out to be better than you expected! :thumbsup2

Well of course Phantom is a great show! I've also read the book.

Well I was still a little wary after my Cats experience (okay, very wary!).

I doubt I would have liked the vegetarian place as I'm a meat and potatos person.

Don't discount those meatballs! At least with those it wasn't total vegetarian. I'm not big on fruit, but I love veggies.

Well, too bad you had to work, but a lunch break in Central Park doesn't seem all bad. I love Steak N Shake, but it is rich because it is, well, steak. :rotfl2: I pretty much stay away because I can't resist the giant shakes, and we like In N Out better.

I think I pretty much made the most of my limited time with a little break in the park. Yeah, you could probably see that I tried to be good by just getting a small shake.

Dinner looks really fresh and yummy. Haven't heard of Dig Inn before. Glad you enjoyed Phantom so much and had good seats. Nice on the crazy face! :crazy: I'm wonder if she edited you out. :rotfl2:

I had never heard of Dig Inn before I found them on Yelp...but reading the description, it sounded like somewhere that Judy could eat and Marlene would like. It turned out to be the case. Phantom was really worth it, I'm glad I got to see it. I wonder if that lady has even seen my crazy face...does anyone go back and look at their vacation videos?

Well, it stinks to have to work on vacation... but at least you still got to go.

Yep. Work hard, play hard! ;)

That's what I hate... you can stay in a HI Express in any given city for half the cost of that nice deluxe hotel downtown... yet at the HI Express you get free internet, free breakfast, etc. And that other place charges you a ridiculous fee for everything!

I know. Some of these places are really clinging to their extra charges, like internet access. How long can that last?

Um... wow. Really branching out and trying something new there, huh?

I think you're confusing me with Capt Oblivious.

In my defense, at that point I was still confusing it with Shake Shack, and I'd never been to either one before so either way it was a new place to me.

Well, it does look like the NYC Steak n Shakes have better fries. They aren't those stringy, skinny little things that they serve around here.

I wish I had a picture of a box of stringy, skinny fries with a circle and line through them.

It really does look delicious. I think you chose a good place to try!

It was pretty good. I'd definitely go there for lunch on occasion if it was nearby. And like we said in the chapter, it was Judy's favorite of the trip. Mine was Bengal Tiger.

I can see your trepidation about it. But as you said, it is her trip. And if it is something she loves, then you've got to go along with it.

Yeah, not sure why I turned over the decisions to a teenager, but I dodged a bullet on this one.

They've watched Talladega Nights way too many times.

e32fe9e8e6acaaaa72cf50c964fccc90.600x451x1.jpg

I'm embarrassed to say this :blush:, but I've never seen that movie the whole way through, so this reference went over my head! :oops:

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

That's awesome!

It had to be done.

I'm glad that it turned out to be better than you expected! :thumbsup2

Me too! I enjoyed it a lot.

I love Phantom. Fantastic show. I can only imagine how amazing it would be to see it in NYC.

I'm not sure what they do when they take these productions on the road, because there has to be a big advantage to staying at the same theater for years and having all of the stage tricks set up to work night after night. It was a really great show!

I've been on vacation for a bit so not sure when I last commented but I have to say IMHO Steak and Shake was a great lunch choice. They were always a mid west treat for me and now the have slowly moved to California. I did not know they were in NYC as well.

Your dinner looked a little on the healthy side. While I am also for interesting and different, that may have been a bit too much on the different side for me.

It looks like you saw the traditional Phantom show, especially since you mentioned the Phantom in the boat. We recently saw the "new" staging of Phantom at the Pantages in LA and didn't like it nearly as much as the traditional one. In the Pantages no photos whatsoever are allowed. The moment you whip out a camera the staff is on you to put it away. If you did it during the show, even curtain call, they would probably throw you out!

Of course you loved it. I'd have to question our friendship had you not! It was unbelievably amazing for me too in every way. I'm SO glad you loved it too; it's totally amazing how they achieve the optical illusions they do and well, the voices and live music is enough to amaze most skeptics I'd think.

Lunch looked ok, but dinner looked fabulous! Glad you found something Judy liked as well. I know it can be hard to find something that pleases everyone when there are some food issues to work around. It did all look pretty darned good!

Hope you are doing well, Glennbo family! Been forever since I've come across you here or there.

Great update Glenn. I didn't recognize anything on the small plates at your fav. restaurant . I am just NOT adventurous at all. The Phantom sounds wonderful .

I'm glad you enjoyed Phantom. It's never been one of my favorites, but glad it turned out to be better than you thought!

Your food looks great! I'm not a vegetarian, but I think I'd love that place, too.

I've been on vacation for a bit so not sure when I last commented but I have to say IMHO Steak and Shake was a great lunch choice. They were always a mid west treat for me and now the have slowly moved to California. I did not know they were in NYC as well.

I’d never been to one before. I don’t know if there are more in the NY-area or just in the city. Anyway, I think it was a good choice. The food was decent and it was really nice to people-watch in the park.

Your dinner looked a little on the healthy side. While I am also for interesting and different, that may have been a bit too much on the different side for me.

It was probably more than a little on the healthy side...good thing I got a burger and a shake in while the girls were away!! :laughing:

It looks like you saw the traditional Phantom show, especially since you mentioned the Phantom in the boat. We recently saw the "new" staging of Phantom at the Pantages in LA and didn't like it nearly as much as the traditional one. In the Pantages no photos whatsoever are allowed. The moment you whip out a camera the staff is on you to put it away. If you did it during the show, even curtain call, they would probably throw you out!

Oh wow, I didn’t know there was a “new” staging of it. Yes, this was the Broadway version that has been running for umpteen years now. Really, they’d throw you out for a curtain call photo? Sounds like a good plan to get to the front of the lines for exiting the building!

Of course you loved it. I'd have to question our friendship had you not! It was unbelievably amazing for me too in every way. I'm SO glad you loved it too; it's totally amazing how they achieve the optical illusions they do and well, the voices and live music is enough to amaze most skeptics I'd think.

Yeah, I hated to admit it, but it was absolutely amazing. The highlight of the trip. Or at least one of them.

Lunch looked ok, but dinner looked fabulous! Glad you found something Judy liked as well. I know it can be hard to find something that pleases everyone when there are some food issues to work around. It did all look pretty darned good!

Even I liked the dinner, Judy loved it, and Marlene liked it (I think there was one item that she got that we didn’t that was just “okay”). It was also really quick, walking there and back took longer than actually getting the food, which was good because Marlene and I had to get ready and go to the theater.

Hope you are doing well, Glennbo family! Been forever since I've come across you here or there.

Yes, just busy, as always. We went to visit Lauren last weekend. When I have time to DIS, it’s always a Sophie’s choice of whether to work on a new update or read some other threads I’m subscribed to. I was 2 updates behind on yours, but read one last Friday...I didn’t comment since I was (and am still) behind.

Great update Glenn. I didn't recognize anything on the small plates at your fav. restaurant . I am just NOT adventurous at all. The Phantom sounds wonderful .

Branch out Rosie! There are so many flavors to experience and so little time! We really enjoyed Phantom, I recommend it if you haven’t seen it.

I'm glad you enjoyed Phantom. It's never been one of my favorites, but glad it turned out to be better than you thought!

Sometimes it's all about building the right level of expectations! :laughing:

Your food looks great! I'm not a vegetarian, but I think I'd love that place, too.

Me either, and as long as I had those meatballs (at least I think there was meat in the meatballs!), that went a long way. It was a good place, I'd definitely eat there again.

I took my mom to Cats since I won free tickets...I don't think she will ever sit though another musical again. Ahh, Memories! ;) Phantom is a great show...seeing anything on Broadway is amazing! I saw Lion King and it blew my socks off.

Steak and Shake is a Midwest chain and that's how the steakburgers are cooked...thin with the crispy yummy edges. :) Freddy's is my favorite!

Jill in CO

I took my mom to Cats since I won free tickets...I don't think she will ever sit though another musical again. Ahh, Memories! ;)

So it isn't just me! Good to know. Free tickets...just goes to show that you get what you pay for, and then some. And I see what you did there -- nicely done!

Phantom is a great show...seeing anything on Broadway is amazing! I saw Lion King and it blew my socks off.

Judy said the same thing about Lion King.

Steak and Shake is a Midwest chain and that's how the steakburgers are cooked...thin with the crispy yummy edges. :) Freddy's is my favorite!

Cool, now I've tasted a steakburger. I thought I just had to put some A-1 sauce on a regular ol' hamburger. (If you're old enough to remember that commercial.)

I'm embarrassed to say this :blush:, but I've never seen that movie the whole way through, so this reference went over my head! :oops:
Well, I wouldn't be too embarrassed. I love comedy and I'm a Will Ferrell fan. But if I were to sit down and make a top 5 list of his best movies... well, it's safe to say that this one wouldn't be on the list.

Well, I wouldn't be too embarrassed. I love comedy and I'm a Will Ferrell fan. But if I were to sit down and make a top 5 list of his best movies... well, it's safe to say that this one wouldn't be on the list.

Well good, because I still haven't tried to watch it On Demand just because you referenced it.

Speaking of movies though, have you seen the trailer for the new Coen brothers' movie, "Hail Caesar!"? it looks pretty good.

Hey Glenn, just caught up on your TR. My daughter, Lexi, wants us to go to NYC so bad. I would be absolutely clueless on how to plan it & navigate around so I'm really enjoying your NYC portion of TR hoping to learn a lot from it!
I'm really enjoying reading Marlene's posts too!

Amy

Hey Glenn, just caught up on your TR. My daughter, Lexi, wants us to go to NYC so bad. I would be absolutely clueless on how to plan it & navigate around so I'm really enjoying your NYC portion of TR hoping to learn a lot from it!
I'm really enjoying reading Marlene's posts too!

Amy

Hey Amy! :welcome: I'm glad you made it! I've seen your kids growing up on Instagram...next thing you know, you'll be an empty-nester!

You should definitely take Lexi to New York sometime. Catch a train in, wherever it would make sense for you. You can have an amazing long-weekend getaway trip that would really widen her horizons.

That's a bummer that you had to work! As someone who has to occasionally work on her "off" days, I feel your pain. :upsidedow

Steak and Shake is a big thing the in Midwest - there are none directly near me but quite a few when you go further East. I love their double garlic burger and their salted caramel milkshake. :goodvibes

What an interesting dinner spot! Even in the pictures, the food looks really good!

I've seen Phantom of the Opera twice and enjoyed it both times. I think the soundtrack is especially fun (although I enjoy the music from The Book of Mormon and Les Miserables more). Anika LOVES Phantom of the Opera and was super excited when it was part of our Broadway tour ticket package a few years ago - she'd be right there with Marlene to see it multiple times! :D I'm glad it surpassed your expectations!

I was going to ask about the Hello deli too. Was not sure if you had a Letterman habit. :flower3:

Yes, just busy, as always. We went to visit Lauren last weekend. When I have time to DIS, it’s always a Sophie’s choice of whether to work on a new update or read some other threads I’m subscribed to. I was 2 updates behind on yours, but read one last Friday...I didn’t comment since I was (and am still) behind.

Right there with you -- today is a catch up day, maybe tomorrow too. then maybe I can revive the TR. :laughing:

I totally get the certain workdays you just need to be available. Glad you could get work done and enjoyed your lunch. Dinner looks interesting not sure for me but maybe.

Glad you enjoyed Les Mis. I have not had the pleasure so good to hear it s great show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter