Big Apple, Boardwalk, and Beach - Bullies and Wrap-up (The End!) (pg 44)

Be Our Guest

Bleary-eyed in the middle of the night, squinting at my phone, I was able to get an 11:45am ADR. I rolled over and went back to sleep, hoping that I hadn’t just dreamt it. I hadn’t, and we were now about to dine here.

I TOO often confuse dreams with reality.

Walking in, past the big lions (with ram’s horns) which are totally befitting the entrance to a Beast’s castle!

IMG_8700_zps4z9nwsrm.jpg
These kind of remind me of the Chinese lions you see outside temples. And I'm LOVING the mosaic of the scenes from the movie above the door!

Said lion:
Wuhan_CUG_-_lion_statue_4201.jpg

And if you liked the gargoyle lampposts, you’ll love the big minotaur-looking columns inside.

IMG_8701_zpsdazlcwji.jpg

He's what we call a "Butterface boy". ;)

The line to order started just inside the doorway, in a hallway of suits of armor.

IMG_8702_zpslzckvv46.jpg

James spotted this Hidden Mickey in a halberd.

IMG_8703_zpshp9vwzwp.jpg

We were soon ordering at the kiosk. Judy took the lead, while her tech-savvy children watched over her shoulder to make sure she did it right. You don’t want a newb messing up your order.

IMG_8704_zpsekwtch3o.jpg

We were at one of the kiosks closest to the dining room. Here’s a shot back at the room with the ordering kiosks. We entered the room through the doorway at the far end.

IMG_8705_zpsbigvziik.jpg
Your experience here has convinced me to pre-order my meal. I can't imagine having to stand there and translate for my family AND choose something to eat :scared:

The first dining room you come to after ordering is the Ballroom. It’s the largest of the three dining rooms, and is situated in the middle. We found a table in here, way in the back.

IMG_8706_zpscubozkv5.jpg
Oh my gosh, this room is GORGEOUS. Was it difficult to find a table?

I went to grab a couple of photos of the other dining rooms. First the West Wing, with draperies that the Beast has shredded. I can just hear Belle now, “This is why we can’t have nice things!”

IMG_8708_zpszbdxge9b.jpg
:rotfl2:

This is mine, the braised pork with mashed potatoes and green beans jardinière. Judy and Lauren both also got this dish. I had to get the potato leek soup to try as well, because I love anything potato. I needed to assess whether theirs was, you know, suitable. It was, and then some. Believe me, this whole meal was very good.

IMG_8713_zpszhqeodzv.jpg
This is it. This is what I'm ordering. :thumbsup2

Of course we had to try a couple of the desserts, especially some of the grey stuff. I think the one on the left is the lemon-raspberry cream puff. I don’t remember if I tried the cream puff, but I know I had some of the cupcake. It was good; not quite amazing or anything, but you’ve gotta try it at least once, right?

IMG_8714_zpspbtkvyjg.jpg
I'm really excited to try the Grey stuff!

As we headed out, I took a selfie with the gargoyle lamppost. (He looked away just as I snapped the photo, dumb gargoyle.) I sent it to some workmates back at the office and said, “caption this photo”. I didn’t get any takers, can you believe it?

A23889EF-2E86-49F6-98D2-1579158264C7_zpstnrljljk.jpg
Gargoyle: You're not getting my good side :snooty:

Nope - All Star Music this time.

It’s only a couple of days away now! It’s going to be great!

Oy vey! :guilty: Too much!! I'm an emotional wreck over here - Creighton is graduating Kindergarten on Friday. You just pushed me right over the edge with that info!

Congrats Creighton!

I’ve been over the edge for a while now!

I TOO often confuse dreams with reality.

:rotfl2:

These kind of remind me of the Chinese lions you see outside temples. And I'm LOVING the mosaic of the scenes from the movie above the door!

Said lion:

Wuhan_CUG_-_lion_statue_4201.jpg

Yes, I’m familiar with those lions. I have a picture of Marlene standing next to one and imitating it – it’s what I have as her contact picture so I see it every time she calls me!

He's what we call a "Butterface boy". ;)

She’s got a nice body, but...

Your experience here has convinced me to pre-order my meal. I can't imagine having to stand there and translate for my family AND choose something to eat :scared:

Sounds like a more efficient use of time. And, you’re the tour guide this time, right?!

Oh my gosh, this room is GORGEOUS. Was it difficult to find a table?

Yeah, a little bit. We walked around for a little while before seeing someone leaving. Not real long though, I mean we didn’t circle the room multiple times or anything.

This is it. This is what I'm ordering. :thumbsup2

Great! I’ll take credit for making your ordering ahead process that much easier. ;)

I'm really excited to try the Grey stuff!

It’ll be good!

Gargoyle: You're not getting my good side :snooty:

Ahh, nice! Thanks for accepting the challenge!

I would’ve had a comeback for that though: “well turn around then and let us see your good side!”

We had no problem with ordering that day, but then we didn't have to translate !!

They probably had to translate for you Rosie, into your England-English! :laughing: No bangers and mash here.

Happy for a good review of this place! It looks so beautiful! The food continues to get high marks, and am certainly glad about that too.

The food is pretty good, but it’s really the whole immersive experience that makes it.

Looks like a few nice pix to get as well. I'll keep my eye out for the pantsless Beast. Too hiliarious!

That’s good advice no matter where you are. ::yes::

The REAL Beauty and the Beast.

Good one!

Or, the REAL Beast and Beauty...reading left to right. ;)

A23889EF-2E86-49F6-98D2-1579158264C7_zpstnrljljk.jpg

Where's Beauty :rotfl2::rotfl2:

You made me laugh out loud Rosie!

Heated Mansion

After lunch it was time for our 7 Dwarfs Mine Train fastpass. I decided to take some video of it to post on Instagram, which (at the time) was limited to 15 seconds. But with Instagram you can pause and restart recording, so this video was edited on the fly!

Ooo, I almost forgot to include the Photopass pictures from this trip on the mine train. Notice my sure-handed grip on the iPhone.

MK_MINETRAIN_7399973444_zpszojl1ddq.jpeg

MK_MINETRAIN_7363377218_zpswkb3dnvp.jpeg

MK_MINETRAIN_7363377224_zpsah0zpfrw.jpeg

The Dwarf’s house (again). I wasn’t going to include this photo since it’s basically the exact same shot as I put in the chapter with our ride in the morning, but the lighting is better with this one so why not?

IMG_8725_zpsgyqp9xyj.jpg

Our next fastpass was for Space Mountain and was more than an hour away, so we decided to go to the Haunted Mansion in the meantime. Also, since we’d be going through the standby line, we’d have an opportunity to check out all of the interesting things they added to the queue to keep you amused while in line. We’d missed them on our last trip; I can’t remember if we had a fastpass or just that the line was short, but we totally bypassed them and I didn’t realize it until later. Well, a short line was not the case on this particular day. The wait time was posted as 35 minutes, but it had to be a lot longer. And it was soooo hot. If you’ve traveled to DisneyWorld during the summer, you know what I’m talking about -- when you’re standing in a line and you suddenly feel something tickling your back, or side, or leg, and realize that it’s drops of sweat literally pouring out of you. Part of the time the line was under an awning and everyone would try to maximize the time spent there, out of the sun, before moving up. This was more than a Haunted Mansion -- it was a Heated Mansion!

Anyway, on to some of the fun items added to the Haunted Mansion queue. First, the busts. These people look like they must have been a lot of fun in their day. Or maybe they’d just spent their last couple of days traveling down I-95 in a car together.

IMG_8726_zpsgfsdlihb.jpg

Looking over toward Big Thunder.

IMG_8727_zpsqwx9o9c1.jpg

Playing with the musical instruments in line.

IMG_8732_zps5cjgzqrb.jpg

Master Gracey headstone.

IMG_8733_zpsfksqcnfj.jpg

Captain’s monument.

IMG_8734_zps21bodfhi.jpg

My family had a lot of fun with these books that wouldn’t stay put.

IMG_8735_zpsohybhgc1.jpg

More “parting shots”.

IMG_8737_zps02wghdep.jpg

One picture from the Stretching Room.

IMG_8738_zpsvpvwujfd.jpg

We boarded our doombuggies and put ourselves in the care of our Ghost Host for the duration of the ride. I tried to take a few pictures throughout the Mansion and here are some of the better ones.

A casket with a lifting lid.

IMG_8741_zps9en1dg6d.jpg

Madame Leota had a thing or two to tell us from within her crystal ball.

IMG_8745_zpsndfk34p3.jpg

The Dancing Ghosts.

IMG_8747_zpsa4mms1e9.jpg

The Bride, haunting the attic.

IMG_8750_zpspz7s6sep.jpg

IMG_8751_zpsygwrprgg.jpg

Sorry, no picture of the Hitchhiking Ghosts. I just can never seem to get a good one of them. Such is the case when dealing with apparitions, I suppose.

From there we walked to redeem our fastpasses at Space Mountain but found that it was down. And with that, we decided that it was time to go. It was 91 degrees (and felt a lot hotter), and the park seemed to be getting more and more crowded. It wasn’t too bad that morning but was getting worse as the day wore on. And we were spent.

Judy and Lauren got some Starbucks frappuccinos on the way out so I took the opportunity to take a photo of the new establishment.

IMG_8753_zps5osk4zla.jpg

Up next: BWV Community Hall and an evening back at MK

Last edited:

"If you’ve traveled to DisneyWorld during the summer, you know what I’m talking about -- when you’re standing in a line and you suddenly feel something tickling your back, or side, or leg, and realize that it’s drops of sweat literally pouring out of you. "

Why yes, yes I do know what you're talking about. September 2012. Just walked into the MK in the morning. Standing in line 5 minutes to meet Daisy Duck. Jason, my husband, leans over to me and says "I'm just standing here and sweat is dripping down my back and legs. I'm not even moving." We've so been there. But it's worth it. :)

I need to back up one update, though. I love that you got to eat at BoG! We also had lunch there on a "bonus" FP in September 2014. We pre-ordered, and were lucky enough to get a spot in the West Wing. We loved it and can't wait to go back! I love your pics of the gargoyles. They are so funny.

I'm glad you got to experience the queue of Haunted Mansion. I know it was hot, but all that interactive stuff is fun. Your pics inside HM turned out amazing! I can never get mine to turn out well. I've sort of given up. It's my favorite ride though, so I wish I could get some to work! We just got the HM Tsum Tsum set we love the ride so much. I hope being on the ride helped cool you off, though!

Good call on leaving for a bit. That summer heat will really get you!

If you’ve traveled to DisneyWorld during the summer, you know what I’m talking about -- when you’re standing in a line and you suddenly feel something tickling your back, or side, or leg, and realize that it’s drops of sweat literally pouring out of you.

Oh yes I know that all too well.

Madame Leota had a thing or two to tell us from within her crystal ball.

I alwys try to get that perfect shot of the Madame full face and eyes open .... I am still trying. :rolleyes: Just never seem to be in the right place at the right time.

From there we walked to redeem our fastpasses at Space Mountain but found that it was down. And with that, we decided that it was time to go. It was 91 degrees (and felt a lot hotter), and the park seemed to be getting more and more crowded. It wasn’t too bad that morning but was getting worse as the day wore on. And we were spent.

So hot that you leave a FP hanging? THAT'S HOT. :rotfl2: I get it. To walk all the way over to find it down. :faint: Then I usually discover I have a message that I have a change in my FP reservation.

Judy and Lauren got some Starbucks frappuccinos on the way out so I took the opportunity to take a photo of the new establishment.

First Aid I'm sure. I had to do training at an outdoor facility and I had to pull into the 7-11 for a slurpy afterward. Just to cool me off from the inside. :thumbsup2

POOL TIME !!!!!!:cheer2:

I know I'm late but I'm here. I skipped the chit chat and just read the updates. I'm loving it so far. Hard to believe you have 2 high school grads now. My last will graduate next year. She would love a trip to New York but it's a bit far for us. We are planning a big family Disney trip this time next year. But I'm not looking forward to the heat. I'm following along to see how you survive it.

We did lunch at BOG twice last year for Michelle's wedding tip. Everyone loved it! We did not get to sit in the Ballroom, but settled for the Rose Galley both times. It looks like Starbucks is a staple in your family. My girls are looking forward to it too.

Looking forward to more.

Ooo, I almost forgot to include the Photopass pictures from this trip on the mine train. Notice my sure-handed grip on the iPhone.

Well, I would hope so!

I wasn’t going to include this photo since it’s basically the exact same shot as I put in the chapter with our ride in the morning, but the lighting is better with this one so why not?

Hey, it's your TR. Post whatever photos you want!

And it was soooo hot. If you’ve traveled to DisneyWorld during the summer, you know what I’m talking about -- when you’re standing in a line and you suddenly feel something tickling your back, or side, or leg, and realize that it’s drops of sweat literally pouring out of you.

Thanks for the vivid description!

But yes, I am familiar with that experience.

These people look like they must have been a lot of fun in their day. Or maybe they’d just spent their last couple of days traveling down I-95 in a car together.

Come to think of it, that's about what my family looks like around day 4 of the typical road trip.

Starbucks...:sad2:

The HM is always a good choice, and the interactive queue is definitely fun to play with. I have not experienced that particular hot summer phenomenon, but have been in June and that was hot enough! We try to avoid times when kids are not in school just because of the heat factor.

It's bad enough to have heat at home, but when you add Florida humidity, I would rather stay home. Sorry it was too hot to do Space.

So kinda like Whack-a-Mole.

Yes, very much so. I never said that we weren't easily amused.

Yes, I know. I saw the whole Starbucks discussion on your thread. We kinda like Starbucks though. Although I will admit that I don't think I need it replacing the whole Main St. Bakery. Something in-between on the spectrum would've been better, in my opinion.

Regarding SBux in general, I'm convinced that someday they'll discover that there's a gene that makes you taste one particular coffee as bad (like DD, for instance) and another as good (like SBux). Because in my opinion DD tastes bitter and absolutely foul, but other people love it and say the same thing about SBux. When they discover that gene, you can say you heard it here first. :listen:

"If you’ve traveled to DisneyWorld during the summer, you know what I’m talking about -- when you’re standing in a line and you suddenly feel something tickling your back, or side, or leg, and realize that it’s drops of sweat literally pouring out of you. "

Why yes, yes I do know what you're talking about. September 2012. Just walked into the MK in the morning. Standing in line 5 minutes to meet Daisy Duck. Jason, my husband, leans over to me and says "I'm just standing here and sweat is dripping down my back and legs. I'm not even moving." We've so been there. But it's worth it. :)

:rotfl2: That's it exactly! The only times I've experienced that is DisneyWorld or a sauna.

I need to back up one update, though. I love that you got to eat at BoG! We also had lunch there on a "bonus" FP in September 2014. We pre-ordered, and were lucky enough to get a spot in the West Wing. We loved it and can't wait to go back! I love your pics of the gargoyles. They are so funny.

BoG was pretty cool to experience. Yeah, I wish we could've found a spot in the West Wing. I bet there's a lot to look at in there -- I only stepped in long enough to get a picture. The gargoyle's look kind of pitiful (as in worthy of pity), don't they?!

I'm glad you got to experience the queue of Haunted Mansion. I know it was hot, but all that interactive stuff is fun. Your pics inside HM turned out amazing! I can never get mine to turn out well. I've sort of given up. It's my favorite ride though, so I wish I could get some to work! We just got the HM Tsum Tsum set we love the ride so much. I hope being on the ride helped cool you off, though!

It's kind of funny, that interactive stuff does its job because we didn't even notice the heat once we got to that point of the line. When it was unbearable was the portion before we got there, when all we had to do was creep forward and think about how hot we were and how we felt drips of sweat rolling down our backs and legs! :laughing:

I'd call these pictures just okay, but thanks for the compliment. I was actually hoping for better (at least clearer, less blurry) pictures since this was a new camera since the previous trip and was supposed to have better low-light capabilities. I don't think I was able to do much better than the pictures I got before. I think part of the issue is that the doom buggies are always moving and it's hard to keep everything still enough.

Good call on leaving for a bit. That summer heat will really get you!

Yes, it was time for a break. We always say we should do that (when we're planning), but it's so hard to leave the parks when the time comes!

Oh yes I know that all too well.

I'm sure you do! I had sweat coming out of my head like this guy --> :scared: And just about everywhere else as well. :laughing:

I alwys try to get that perfect shot of the Madame full face and eyes open .... I am still trying. :rolleyes: Just never seem to be in the right place at the right time.

It may be a never-ending quest. We need the doom buggy to stop right in front of her and pause for a little while.

So hot that you leave a FP hanging? THAT'S HOT. :rotfl2: I get it. To walk all the way over to find it down. :faint: Then I usually discover I have a message that I have a change in my FP reservation.

Yeah, that was weird. I know we got messages about changes in FP's due to rides being down later in the week, but I don't think we got one for this outage. Anyway, don't worry -- the day ain't over yet! ;)

First Aid I'm sure. I had to do training at an outdoor facility and I had to pull into the 7-11 for a slurpy afterward. Just to cool me off from the inside. :thumbsup2

Yes, I think they used some kind of excuse such as that.

POOL TIME !!!!!!:cheer2:

Hey, have you been reading ahead?! Ooo, you just reminded me -- I need to check our waterproof camera for photos. I bet I never downloaded them! It's soon going to be a year after-the-fact! :rotfl:

Great pix of Haunted Mansion, I think I missed t last year as someone was scared and I stayed back, Haunted Mansion is a favorite of mine , (one of many):rotfl2:Carol has risen the Mine Train , but it NOT for me !!!:scared1::scared1:

I know I'm late but I'm here. I skipped the chit chat and just read the updates. I'm loving it so far.

Vanessa! :welcome: It's good to see you here. I enjoy following your Instagram posts. Yes, feel free to just read the updates -- the links are there to help you plow right through.

Hard to believe you have 2 high school grads now. My last will graduate next year. She would love a trip to New York but it's a bit far for us. We are planning a big family Disney trip this time next year. But I'm not looking forward to the heat. I'm following along to see how you survive it.

I get that -- I'm sure we wouldn't go to NYC either, if it weren't as easy as it is to catch a train and get there in a couple of hours.

Afternoon breaks are the secret to the dealing with the heat. Like I just said in a previous reply, it's hard to break yourself away from the parks when it gets to that point, but you need to do it. Get cooled off, recharge, and go back for some evening fun.

We did lunch at BOG twice last year for Michelle's wedding tip. Everyone loved it! We did not get to sit in the Ballroom, but settled for the Rose Galley both times. It looks like Starbucks is a staple in your family. My girls are looking forward to it too.

We enjoyed our BoG experience. It's not a must-do, but I'm sure we'll go back someday. Yeah, we like Starbucks. We got a Nespresso machine for home, and I can make latte's that are just as good. But when I get enough Starbucks points for a free drink, using the app, I like to save them for a long trip and get a frappuccino with a bunch of extra shots of caffeine!

Looking forward to more.

More we've got. Well, at least eventually we will.

Well, I would hope so!

Like this ride is a rollercoaster warm-up, so it will be for this technique. :scratchin

Hey, it's your TR. Post whatever photos you want!

Well, I don't like to post repeats, but I noticed this one was way better!

Thanks for the vivid description!

But yes, I am familiar with that experience.

You're welcome!! :crazy2:

Come to think of it, that's about what my family looks like around day 4 of the typical road trip.

It takes until day 4??!! You guys get along great!!

Starbucks...:sad2:

I know, I know. I commented to steppesister in a previous post. I do like Starbucks, but I'll agree that I prefer the Main Street Bakery as it was.

The HM is always a good choice, and the interactive queue is definitely fun to play with. I have not experienced that particular hot summer phenomenon, but have been in June and that was hot enough! We try to avoid times when kids are not in school just because of the heat factor.

It's bad enough to have heat at home, but when you add Florida humidity, I would rather stay home. Sorry it was too hot to do Space.

We had to do one this classic ride. Plus, Pirates of the Caribbean was under refurb while we were there, so it was a no-brainer. I'm glad we got to see the new stuff in the queue, and the ride itself cooled us off.

Definitely, if you're not tied to school-schedules or things like that which limit when you can visit, you should plan your visit for a cooler, less-humid time!! I wish we could.

Great pix of Haunted Mansion, I think I missed t last year as someone was scared and I stayed back, Haunted Mansion is a favorite of mine , (one of many):rotfl2:

Aw, that's nice of you to stay back. Fortunately, there's plenty of other things to do at the Magic Kingdom.

Carol has risen the Mine Train , but it NOT for me !!!:scared1::scared1:

Oh come on Rosie! It's not bad. Did you watch my video? You're brave enough to try that, aren't you?

Aw, that's nice of you to stay back. Fortunately, there's plenty of other things to do at the Magic Kingdom.

Oh come on Rosie! It's not bad. Did you watch my video? You're brave enough to try that, aren't you?

Someone has to do it and I just sacrifice all those roller coasters for Carol:rotfl2:I am just such a generous person:rotfl2: However Carol knows I am NOT that nice to sacrifice Soarin :rotfl2: Glenn are you going to be there in October with Liesa???

Someone has to do it and I just sacrifice all those roller coasters for Carol:rotfl2:I am just such a generous person:rotfl2: However Carol knows I am NOT that nice to sacrifice Soarin :rotfl2: Glenn are you going to be there in October with Liesa???

Unfortunately, no. Just too much with the wedding later this summer. Plus, we're giving the honeymooners a bunch of DVC points to go to Hilton Head so it'll be a while before our points build back up again. Hopefully we'll have enough points when James' graduation rolls around to have a decent trip!

Yeah, but you aren't supposed to cover the lens........... :sad2:

Love the look of the woman in the front! :rotfl:

And it was soooo hot. If you’ve traveled to DisneyWorld during the summer, you know what I’m talking about -- when you’re standing in a line and you suddenly feel something tickling your back, or side, or leg, and realize that it’s drops of sweat literally pouring out of you. Part of the time the line was under an awning and everyone would try to maximize the time spent there, out of the sun, before moving up. This was more than a Haunted Mansion -- it was a Heated Mansion!
Yep, know it well. :faint:

My family had a lot of fun with these books that wouldn’t stay put.
Well I guess not.........it looks like they kept pushing on them! :rolleyes2

Sorry, no picture of the Hitchhiking Ghosts. I just can never seem to get a good one of them. Such is the case when dealing with apparitions, I suppose.
Is that possible? I thought they wouldn't show up in pictures.......... :confused3

Been there too! :eek:

Starbucks! What a way to spend way too much money on way too crappy food and coffee......... :mad:

Yes, I know. I saw the whole Starbucks discussion on your thread. We kinda like Starbucks though. Although I will admit that I don't think I need it replacing the whole Main St. Bakery. Something in-between on the spectrum would've been better, in my opinion.
They should have just added a small booth in the corner........if they had to make a change at all. I'm still po'd they got rid of a great place for that garbage........... :headache:

The gargoyle's look kind of pitiful (as in worthy of pity), don't they?!
You aren't talking about that person standing BESIDE the gargoyle in your previous picture are you............??? :rolleyes:

I'm sure you do! I had sweat coming out of my head like this guy --> :scared: And just about everywhere else as well. :laughing:
TMI!!!!! :scared1:

It's soon going to be a year after-the-fact! :rotfl:
Only a YEAR??? :blush:

Well, I don't like to post repeats, but I noticed this one was way better!
What about repeating posts??? :confused3

Vanessa! :welcome: It's good to see you here. I enjoy following your Instagram posts. Yes, feel free to just read the updates -- the links are there to help you plow right through.

I get that -- I'm sure we wouldn't go to NYC either, if it weren't as easy as it is to catch a train and get there in a couple of hours.

Afternoon breaks are the secret to the dealing with the heat. Like I just said in a previous reply, it's hard to break yourself away from the parks when it gets to that point, but you need to do it. Get cooled off, recharge, and go back for some evening fun.

We enjoyed our BoG experience. It's not a must-do, but I'm sure we'll go back someday. Yeah, we like Starbucks. We got a Nespresso machine for home, and I can make latte's that are just as good. But when I get enough Starbucks points for a free drink, using the app, I like to save them for a long trip and get a frappuccino with a bunch of extra shots of caffeine!

It's been awhile so I hope I do this right. I've enjoyed your Instagram too. You're the best a giving chapter links so I could catch up on the updates. We did afternoon breaks in 2007 & 2009 and a few on the Wedding trip last year. I find the older I get the more breaks I need.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter