Big Apple, Boardwalk, and Beach - Bullies and Wrap-up (The End!) (pg 44)

Drrrooollll! The sushi looks delicious! We watched someone take a ride in one of the amphibicars...the little boy who was riding was so excited - brought tears to my eyes to watch him have such an amazing time. Then I was brought back to reality by my 5 year old saying "moooom...this is boring! lets go" o_O So, just for that, he will never get to ride in one. Has nothing to do with the price at all...everything to do with his attitude. :rolleyes1 :upsidedow

Drrrooollll! The sushi looks delicious!

We like it. You'd think my kids wouldn't, but no, they have expensive tastes.

We watched someone take a ride in one of the amphibicars...the little boy who was riding was so excited - brought tears to my eyes to watch him have such an amazing time. Then I was brought back to reality by my 5 year old saying "moooom...this is boring! lets go" o_O So, just for that, he will never get to ride in one. Has nothing to do with the price at all...everything to do with his attitude. :rolleyes1 :upsidedow

I definitely would've watched a little bit if anyone had taken out out. Wow, you're a tough mom...but yes, work on those attitudes now! :laughing:

Our Boardwalk Suite

Well let’s get us checked in already!

After our visit to Downtown Disney Springs with a side-trip to Publix, we drove back to the Boardwalk. We loaded up a luggage cart and a bellman accompanied us to our suite. By now, everyone knows the drill – that I need to get some quick pictures of our suite in its pristine state, before the carnage that will ensue once we release the hinge-pins on our luggage and the room looks like the site of a dirty-clothes-bomb attack. (It’s not really that bad, but you get the idea.)

The entryway and living room

IMG_8613_zps0wgzrnmd.jpg

Kitchen and living room

IMG_8614_zps50d18wjj.jpg

IMG_8615_zpsyhcqkfxy.jpg

Living Room couch

IMG_8616_zpsdxm6bx1m.jpg

The Living Room would soon turn into the kids’ bedroom. We brought a cot and sleeping bag for James, and the girls got the pull-out sofa.

Kitchen

IMG_8617_zpss0sbwnwi.jpg

The shared bathroom. This layout, with a shared toilet/shower bathroom and a separate master bathroom with sinks and a whirlpool tub was very similar to our suite at Vero Beach.

IMG_8618_zpsuthjgba7.jpg

Master bathroom

IMG_8619_zpsdskwvubo.jpg

Closet

IMG_8620_zpsegl4ipr2.jpg

Master bedroom

IMG_8621_zpsajibim3g.jpg

IMG_8622_zpszwexyn4o.jpg

IMG_8623_zpsydsbhuul.jpg

Balcony

IMG_8624_zpssopyxtz7.jpg

Our view, looking slightly left, toward the port cochere.

IMG_8625_zpsqy67ppsi.jpg

Our view, looking slightly right, toward the bus stop.

IMG_8626_zpsrhlfmmov.jpg

Our room was 3103.

IMG_8627_zpsnbcq7c3x.jpg

I have to say, I was really bummed that we didn’t get a refurbished suite. But I can understand it; I didn’t even put it as a room request. For the room request, I had gone for the gusto -- I had asked for a room further down the hall (any floor), on the corner, where the rooms apparently have a huge amount of floor space. Yeah, well, we didn’t get that either. But it didn’t hurt to try, I suppose.

In my trip notes I wrote that Boardwalk is showing its age. I think I was just referring to dings in the paint and fading upholstery and things like that. Hopefully, the room refurbs have taken care of all of those issues.

We unpacked our stuff and we were ready to explore the resort a little bit. Well, all of us except for James. His stomach wasn’t feeling well, so he was going to stay back and rest on the couch. The rest of us walked out to the Boardwalk. Our first stop was the Bakery, in order to get our refillable mugs.

We walked a little further down the boardwalk and I took a couple of pictures. I probably should’ve taken a panoramic or stitched some together.

IMG_8629_zpsxqgfqlu3.jpg

IMG_8631_zpsrouqb4bf.jpg

As we walked back, a cast member came out of Seashore Sweets with a platter of ice cream samples and asked us if we’d like one. Well okay, if you’re gonna twist my arm!

IMG_8632_zps1gr5srpr.jpg

That’s not a bad welcome to Disney – free ice cream. Fortunately, we were the first group of people she saw when she walked out with the tray. They were all gone in about 20 seconds. Another poor woman’s face went from the thrill of victory to the agony of defeat when someone took the last sample just before she could get one. There must be a life-lesson in there somewhere. Or at least an Alanis Morissette song. Sadly, I did not offer her mine. I had breathed on it already.

We sat on a nearby bench to enjoy our ice cream samples and then wandered up to the General Store to check it out. Wouldn’t you know it, there were more hats to be found.

There is another...park, walk, er.

IMG_8633_zps4yrmzhal.jpg

Flapper Marlene. This is a good look for her...I think she may have been born in the wrong era.

IMG_8634_zpskwyw3vva.jpg

Back to the room, we heated up our frozen dinners. Mmm, frozen dinner. I think we got a few indian-food style dishes. I don’t remember who got what, but they were okay. Some were better than others.

IMG_8635_zps3imgozmw.jpg

And some were more frozen than others.

IMG_8636_zpsqhmoziqh.jpg

By dinnertime, James was feeling a little better but Marlene’s stomach wasn’t feeling so great. Something must have been going around. Fortunately, it didn’t get worse during the week.

After dinner we decided we needed to do something other than watch TV, since we were at Disney and all. I suggested that we trek over to the Polynesian to see the changes they’ve made and maybe get a peek into Trader Sam’s. We took the bus to the Magic Kingdom and then the monorail over to the Poly. It was kind of a rainy night and we had to run from the bus stop to the monorail station in an effort to dodge the raindrops. When we got to the Poly, the kids (well, two of my kids now; Lauren is over 21) couldn’t get into Trader Sam’s because they only allow guests over 21 after 8pm. Doh! That was really dumb of me. I had asked Kathy (@KatMark on the DIS) a question about Trader Sam’s before the trip and she had warned me about this, but I had completely forgotten.

At least I got this nifty picture of the lobby.

IMG_8637_zpspnp3auxj.jpg

Well, we were here, so we checked out the gift shop and looked around a little bit and then said, “okay, ready to go back”? So we completed the monorail loop and hopped on a bus back to the Boardwalk.

The kids decided to press some pennies when we got back at the Boardwalk. We don’t have a big pressed pennies collection; these may be the first.

IMG_8638_zpsiv8kmlvi.jpg

Then we turned in early. Magic Kingdom was on the agenda for the morning!

Up next: I finally see the Now-not-so-new Fantasyland

Last edited:
Our band is on the run

Plus, it gave us time to take this picture.

IMG_1991_zpsbe7p2oje.jpg

Cool! Sir Paul photobombed your family.

See, they love pig butts but they don't say anything about beef butts. A hint to stick with the pork!

I could've done way, way, way more, but it was getting annoying even to me!

OK, I get that, but I was still disappointed that you didn't describe the Long and Winding Road you were on before your Golden Slumbers.

Leaving after the concert was a great idea! Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!

:rockband:

I would love to see Sir Paul. My favorite concert ever is Elton John who I've been lucky enough to see twice.

That BBQ place looks good! The best BBQ is always in a gas station. :)

Jill in CO

It was the best sushi I've ever had at a bowling alley, that's gotta be true! :laughing:

BBQ at gas stations. Sushi at bowling alleys.

Got it!

:thumbsup2

The pictures of everyone trying on the hats are great. Where was yours?

That gluten-free bakery looks fantastic. I have a lot of friends who are GF and it is nice to see so many places popping up to help with that diet restriction.

I didn't know there were food trucks and I certainly didn't know they did not open until 4. What kind of food?

MMmmmmm- the sushi looks awesome. That is something my whole family, even my picky eater teen, enjoys.

Great Magic Band start-of-vacation photo!

:woohoo:

Your BW suite looks nice. I haven't been in the rooms. Cute teacup lamp. Are those in the refurbed room or did they disappear?

Free ice cream samples are a fine way to start your visit.

Nice trip to the Poly, bummer about not being able to get into Trader Sam's :(

But, you got on the monorail, which is too a ride, a couple of times so there's that!

:cool1:

So this is going to sound uber creepy, but we followed your trip report when we went to HHI the week or so after yours. When I was searching for reviews on BW, yours popped up. It's like we follow you around!

We loaded up a luggage cart and a bellman accompanied us to our suite. By now, everyone knows the drill – that I need to get some quick pictures of our suite in its pristine state, before the carnage that will ensue once we release the hinge-pins on our luggage and the room looks like the site of a dirty-clothes-bomb attack. (It’s not really that bad, but you get the idea.)
What do you mean it isn't really that bad???? You can be honest about it, we've all been there... :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

As we walked back, a cast member came out of Seashore Sweets with a platter of ice cream samples and asked us if we’d like one. Well okay, if you’re gonna twist my arm!
:thumbsup2 Heck yeah!!! Free things at Disney are always a bonus, but free ice cream??? Maybe you should have bought one of those powerball tickets.

That’s not a bad welcome to Disney – free ice cream. Fortunately, we were the first group of people she saw when she walked out with the tray. They were all gone in about 20 seconds. Another poor woman’s face went from the thrill of victory to the agony of defeat when someone took the last sample just before she could get one. There must be a life-lesson in there somewhere. Or at least an Alanis Morissette song. Sadly, I did not offer her mine. I had breathed on it already.
Yeah, she wouldn't want the stomach thing that seemed to be going around your family. You did a good deed by eating that ice cream. :thumbsup2

After dinner we decided we needed to do something other than watch TV, since we were at Disney and all. I suggested that we trek over to the Polynesian to see the changes they’ve made and maybe get a peek into Trader Sam’s. We took the bus to the Magic Kingdom and then the monorail over to the Poly. It was kind of a rainy night and we had to run from the bus stop to the monorail station in an effort to dodge the raindrops. When we got to the Poly, the kids (well, two of my kids now; Lauren is over 21) couldn’t get into Trader Sam’s because they only allow guests over 21 after 8pm. Doh! That was really dumb of me. I had asked Kathy (@KatMark on the DIS) a question about Trader Sam’s before the trip and she had warned me about this, but I had completely forgotten.
Sorry it didn't work out as you'd have liked. I can't believe how small that place is though!

Cool! Sir Paul photobombed your family.

That guy came out of nowhere, I tell ya. Seriously though, I can see where a selfie-stick would come in handy -- it took every inch of my arm-length to get everyone in that shot. But we did it in one take...we looked and said we'd never get Paul in the picture with us better than that one!

See, they love pig butts but they don't say anything about beef butts. A hint to stick with the pork!

You're right. I just didn't realize how I needed to follow their advice to the letter.

OK, I get that, but I was still disappointed that you didn't describe the Long and Winding Road you were on before your Golden Slumbers.

Leaving after the concert was a great idea! Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!

:rockband:

They're like potato chips, so hard to stop once you get going.

BBQ at gas stations. Sushi at bowling alleys.

Got it!

:thumbsup2

Words to live by.

The pictures of everyone trying on the hats are great. Where was yours?

Being the photographer gets you out of a lot of goofy stuff!

That gluten-free bakery looks fantastic. I have a lot of friends who are GF and it is nice to see so many places popping up to help with that diet restriction.

Very true. A lot of people think it's not a real restriction, more of a self-imposed thing, but I wish that were the case.

I didn't know there were food trucks and I certainly didn't know they did not open until 4. What kind of food?

Yes, they introduced them probably a little more than a year ago. There is one truck for each of the 4 parks, serving food that is representative of that park. Here's a link to the menu (of all 4) from allears.net

MMmmmmm- the sushi looks awesome. That is something my whole family, even my picky eater teen, enjoys.

When I was a kid I wouldn't have touched sushi with a 10-foot pole, but it's like this generation's hot dogs.

Great Magic Band start-of-vacation photo!

:woohoo:

Woohoo, we're vacationing!

Your BW suite looks nice. I haven't been in the rooms. Cute teacup lamp. Are those in the refurbed room or did they disappear?

I'm pretty sure they disappeared. I think there was a thread in the DVC boards talking about the refurb and a lot of people weren't happy about some of the changes, like that particular one.

Free ice cream samples are a fine way to start your visit.

A mighty fine way!

Nice trip to the Poly, bummer about not being able to get into Trader Sam's :(

I guess I could've told James and Marlene to hang out in the gift shop, but their magic bands had charging privileges! :laughing:

But, you got on the monorail, which is too a ride, a couple of times so there's that!

:cool1:

Very true! It was James' favorite ride when he was a wee 2-year old.

So this is going to sound uber creepy, but we followed your trip report when we went to HHI the week or so after yours. When I was searching for reviews on BW, yours popped up. It's like we follow you around!

:welcome: Chelley00!! No, it's not uber creepy. These are the Disboards, we all post our trip info. and follow other peoples' trips in great detail, so it's to be expected. I hope the reports have been somewhat helpful for you!

What do you mean it isn't really that bad???? You can be honest about it, we've all been there... :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

I know I'm not alone!

:thumbsup2 Heck yeah!!! Free things at Disney are always a bonus, but free ice cream??? Maybe you should have bought one of those powerball tickets.

I did buy a couple for the billion dollar prize. No luck. I guess I used up all my luck on that ice cream.

Yeah, she wouldn't want the stomach thing that seemed to be going around your family. You did a good deed by eating that ice cream. :thumbsup2

Riiiiight...I was just looking out for her!

Sorry it didn't work out as you'd have liked. I can't believe how small that place is though!

Kinda tight for 3 mostly grown kids in the living room. There's no pull-out sleeper chair like at Kidani, so we brought a cot for James. I think I have a picture later in the report, but it was basically right at the foot of the sofa-bed. That's why I was hoping for one of the bigger suites at the corner. Oh well.

YAY! An update!

While I do agree that the BW is a beautiful area, and has its charm, I am glad we got switched over to AKL. The Suites though, are gorgeous! There's a whole lotta room there for y'all.

Free ice cream: yeah, I'm sure the arm was terribly twisted... eh hemmm....

Yes, the Trader Sam's underage dilemma. I want to spend an evening there with some DISFriends, and am not sure what to do with the kiddos. I suppose they'll be old enough to head back to the park, or I can load them up with change and they can play in the Arcade. I dunno. Maybe, another option would be the movie on the beach if the Poly has one. Need to fine tune that bit.

Pressed Pennies FTW! Much less expensive than a Pin habit. And almost completely forgot to add those to my list to get change for.

Hope things are well in your household! :)

(well, two of my kids now; Lauren is over 21)

I had a lot of things to say until you said this. TAKE.IT.BACK! :scared1:

And the picture with the pack n play in it? Remember when James could fit in that??? Well, not anymore. Every time you post a pic of the kids, it just shocks me how much they have grown. And then it makes me laugh because then it reminds me how much older you have become!:rotfl::rotfl: :cool1::cool1::cool1:

Anyhow, nice update!

Whoops. Looks like I missed a couple of updates. Sorry about that.

When he asked if we’d like to allow the kids’ Magic Bands to have room-charging privileges he said that if we reviewed the charges we’d be able to see who the “perpetrator, er I mean, purchaser was”.

:rotfl2::rotfl2: Might have to steal that one.

Erin McKenna’s Bakery was right next door after we left Chapel Hats.

Trying on hats is always fun, but trying everything in a bakery is even more fun.

It was a concoction, kind of a mini-trifle (you didn’t think I’d know what that was, did you? c’mon I know about desserts), that had doughnuts, cookie crumbs, brownie-bites, frosting, and cupcakes in it.

I may not know my desserts as well as you, but I bet I could identify the doughnut.

James said that he’d go with me and I warned him that it wasn’t going to be much fun, just standing in line and buying a card. He decided to come along anyway

Because it was still better than shopping.

Anyway, after a minute or so of silence, sitting there twiddling our thumbs, we happened to look at each other. James broke the silence with, “And you said this wouldn’t be fun!” I laughed out loud!

:rotfl::rotfl2::lmao: And STILL better than shopping!

We found this chair that seemed to suit me for some reason, but I can’t really put my finger on it.

Of course not. You're supposed to put your butt on it.

I had James ask how much it was to take a ride, and I forget the answer, but I know that it was high enough that I realized that I would most-probably never be doing that.

But it's still cool to watch other people who are less attached to their money riding them.

We arrived at the food trucks and discovered that they didn’t open until 4pm! We were so disappointed!

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Wondertwin powers, activate!

At one point Judy asked me if I wanted to get some Oreo’s and I replied, “Well, they are milk’s favorite cookie. If we didn’t, it’d be a disservice to milk.”

Story checks out.

By now, everyone knows the drill – that I need to get some quick pictures of our suite in its pristine state, before the carnage that will ensue once we release the hinge-pins on our luggage and the room looks like the site of a dirty-clothes-bomb attack. (It’s not really that bad, but you get the idea.)

If your family is like mine, you only have a 7-second window to accomplish this.

Our view, looking slightly left, toward the port cochere.

Not a bad spot.

As we walked back, a cast member came out of Seashore Sweets with a platter of ice cream samples and asked us if we’d like one.

Rule #1: Never, ever, under any circumstances, turn down free ice cream.

Fortunately, we were the first group of people she saw when she walked out with the tray. They were all gone in about 20 seconds. Another poor woman’s face went from the thrill of victory to the agony of defeat when someone took the last sample just before she could get one. There must be a life-lesson in there somewhere.

She was probably a Philadelphia Eagles fan. I can relate. We can't have nice things.

At least I got this nifty picture of the lobby.

So you have that going for you, which is nice.

YAY! An update!

What, no "Wahooty!"? ;)

While I do agree that the BW is a beautiful area, and has its charm, I am glad we got switched over to AKL. The Suites though, are gorgeous! There's a whole lotta room there for y'all.

As nice as the Boardwalk is (especially so close to Epcot and DHS), it didn't make us regret that our home resort is AKL.

Free ice cream: yeah, I'm sure the arm was terribly twisted... eh hemmm....

Cruelty and torture, I tell ya.

Yes, the Trader Sam's underage dilemma. I want to spend an evening there with some DISFriends, and am not sure what to do with the kiddos. I suppose they'll be old enough to head back to the park, or I can load them up with change and they can play in the Arcade. I dunno. Maybe, another option would be the movie on the beach if the Poly has one. Need to fine tune that bit.

Yes, learn from my mistakes!

Pressed Pennies FTW! Much less expensive than a Pin habit. And almost completely forgot to add those to my list to get change for.

Yes, learn from our successes!

Hope things are well in your household! :)

Doing all right. Things are interesting at work, that's for sure.

I had a lot of things to say until you said this. TAKE.IT.BACK! :scared1:

I wish I could!

And the picture with the pack n play in it? Remember when James could fit in that??? Well, not anymore.

Yes, yes I do. And I remember when we cared whether the room came with a pack n play, and wondered whether it'd be clean, etc. etc. Now we're like, "oh there's a pack n play in here, taking up a bunch of room". :laughing:

Every time you post a pic of the kids, it just shocks me how much they have grown. And then it makes me laugh because then it reminds me how much older you have become!:rotfl::rotfl: :cool1::cool1::cool1:

As I read this I thought it was going to end with "how much older we have become", but no, you had to throw "you" in there! Your turn is coming!

Anyhow, nice update!

Thanks Jen.

Whoops. Looks like I missed a couple of updates. Sorry about that.

No problem. I'm probably behind on yours right now!

:rotfl2::rotfl2: Might have to steal that one.

Feel free.

Trying on hats is always fun, but trying everything in a bakery is even more fun.

::yes::

I may not know my desserts as well as you, but I bet I could identify the doughnut.

drooling_homer-712749_gif.png.jpg

Because it was still better than shopping.

:rotfl::rotfl2::lmao: And STILL better than shopping!

My legs can get so tired from shopping with the womenfolk. I guess it's all the standing, then walking 4 steps, standing, walking 2 steps, standing, walking back 6 steps... I'd be better off running a half-marathon.

Of course not. You're supposed to put your butt on it.

Ohhhh.

But it's still cool to watch other people who are less attached to their money riding them.

Agreed. Wish they'd share some with me, since they're not so attached to it.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Can you believe it? I didn't even consider it a possibility, that they'd be closed in the afternoon.

Wondertwin powers, activate!

We have a week of vacation, then have to get back to the Hall of Justice.

Story checks out.

After much research.

If your family is like mine, you only have a 7-second window to accomplish this.

Yes, in total. But it's in intervals -- only 2 seconds to get the Living Room, by second #4 have to get the Bathroom, second #6 the Bedroom, and the final second #7 to get the Balcony.

Not a bad spot.

It was quiet at least. And some greenery.

Rule #1: Never, ever, under any circumstances, turn down free ice cream.

I've tried to comply with that.

She was probably a Philadelphia Eagles fan. I can relate. We can't have nice things.

Correct, none for you.

So you have that going for you, which is nice.

Hey Llama, how about a little something, you know, for the effort?

From the views out your window, it looks like you were in a similar room to where we stayed when we were at the Boardwalk. I totally understand the pictures before the room explodes, I insist on that too!

Funny you had TV dinners, that's one thing I insist that we never do on vacation. With a full kitchen I would rather make us an easy meal than eat something like that. I hate to eat those and on vacation, it would be strange. I would be OK with one of those skillet kind of meals, but I think I had so many of those microwave meals at work and in a pinch that they have such a negative connotation that on vacation I can't deal with it.

I'm sorry that you got to Trader Sam's after they let minors in. I still can't wait to try the Florida version, we've been to the DL version a few times and enjoy that quite a bit, but it was closed on our last trip when we tried to visit. What's with Floridian's? Ours opens at noon? Why wait until 4PM?

It was fun having a reason to watch the Macy's parade. I was at my Dad's and watching intently to try and spot Marlene. :magnify:

Cool that you and the kids went to see Sir Paul. :rockband: Looks like you had a great time, and sounds like a good plan to continue your day/night by starting your trip to Disney. :car: Yes, that night at the Comfort Suites was interesting. I think that's the first time I've ever walked in a room that was suppose to be mine, and had someone come up out of the bed firmly saying...........someone is IN HERE! Didn't take long to apologize and quickly back out of the room. :oops: Like Pat said............once we got our correct room and found it was one floor up and the same room number, we tried to be very quiet walking around. :tiptoe:

Your BBQ looked pretty good. We had a hard enough time just finding the Comfort Suites...........not sure we could have found that BBQ place. Of course, it was much later when we arrived so there wasn't much still open. And since they were working on the exit and it was closed, we were routed off 95 one exit sooner and had to take back roads to get there. No fun having them add on the difficulty of just finding where to turn to reach the place......... :scared:

Interesting first day at Disney........bowling alley sushi, frozen dinners and lots of hat pictures. :scratchin Even though the rooms at Boardwalk may have needed a little updating, still not bad digs for enjoying Disney for sure! :thumbsup2

I am glad I got a last look at the "old" Boardwalk rooms. I am sure there are complaints about the new rooms and I hear the lack of Disney but probably like the Beach Club the rooms need to be refreshed. The poor Beach Club REALLY needs matching carpet in the hallway, it has been a few years with patch of black and gray in the 1st floor hallway and has been there far longer than a test period should be.

FREE ICE CREAM!!!!!!! Whoo Hootie!!!!

Flapper Marlene. This is a good look for her...I think she may have been born in the wrong era.

I agree a very nice look for her.

When we got to the Poly, the kids (well, two of my kids now; Lauren is over 21) couldn’t get into Trader Sam’s because they only allow guests over 21 after 8pm. Doh! That was really dumb of me.

Sorry about that Chief!!!

Up next: I finally see the (now-not-so) New Fantasyland

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

I was actually more caught up than I thought so many new shops to explore at the Springs. Your girls do have a way with hats! Looking forward to your park days. Hopefully I can keep up better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter