Big Apple, Boardwalk, and Beach - Bullies and Wrap-up (The End!) (pg 44)

So that's what that look meant! That explains a lot!

Guess I better clarify my post. No way was I promoting another round of the Where's Judy contest. I agree that has run it's course. What my post SHOULD have looked like is........

IMG_8456_zpsryqqx9xq.jpg

That look from Judy either says:

"Are...........you.............done.................YET????" :headache:

OR

"You aren't going to post these pictures for another JUDY contest are you................." :faint:

So I left you a choice to decide what that look really meant................... :rotfl:

Hey, speaking of @nodnol, I don't think I sent her a batsignal. I need to rectify that.
Thank you for the batsignal! It just took me quite some time to react to it. Too much going on right now.
Looking forward to read more about your trip, but don't know how well I'll be able to keep up, see above, and additionally I'm supposed to write a TR myself.
I think walking is the best way to explore a city and really discover things, so job well done!

Guess I better clarify my post. No way was I promoting another round of the Where's Judy contest. I agree that has run it's course. What my post SHOULD have looked like is........

So I left you a choice to decide what that look really meant................... :rotfl:

No, I knew you weren't angling for another contest. I was just saying that I might have seen the look from Judy once or twice before. :rolleyes:

I totally almost made a snarky comment, and then thought better of it. Because I couldn't have come up with anything better than Marv. :lmao:

Even the big man himself hasn't come up with anything better than Marv.

Wait, why am I trying to score points with Marv??!
confused-smiley-17512.gif

Thank you for the batsignal! It just took me quite some time to react to it. Too much going on right now.
Looking forward to read more about your trip, but don't know how well I'll be able to keep up, see above, and additionally I'm supposed to write a TR myself.
I think walking is the best way to explore a city and really discover things, so job well done!

Hi Katharina! :welcome: Good to have you here. No problem, catch up whenever you can. I know the feeling! Looking forward to your TR.

A Bengal Tiger Yelps, and Times Square

For dinner we Yelp-ed (it’s a new verb) for an inexpensive restaurant that would be high quality. We stumbled upon Bengal Tiger Indian Food, which was exactly what we wanted!

We love Indian food, and we can’t seem to find a good place near where we live. We used to have one that was pretty good, but it changed hands a few years ago and kinda went downhill. We’ve tried a few others in the area, but haven’t been blown away. So, we were eager to try this Bengal Tiger restaurant which was just a walk of a couple of blocks east of our hotel. We found the doorway and went up the stairs to the restaurant, which was on the 2nd floor. It wasn’t a very big restaurant, probably a dozen tables or so.

Oh, I guess this is as good a time as any to tell you about my camera. The “good” camera I’ve had for years of Disney trips went kaput during Marlene’s graduation ceremony. As she was nearing her turn to walk across the stage and receive her diploma, I put it on “burst” mode (where it would take a series of pictures as long as I held the shutter button down) so that I was sure to get some shots of her walking, receiving the diploma, and shaking hands with the Principal. Well, “burst” is exactly what it did. The flap that opens and reveals the sensor (used to be the film, in the old days) got stuck and wouldn’t completely open and close anymore. (We had to buy the professional pictures of graduation since I didn’t have any.) But, we were also going to be leaving on this big vacation in a couple of days so needless to say I was pretty distraught. I took it to a camera shop and they said that I was probably looking at a $300 repair, which was not really worth it given the age of the camera. I needed another expense like I needed a hole in my head (which is a strange expression when you think about the fact that there actually are holes in your head, quite necessary ones too, but I digress). I just couldn’t imagine taking this huge trip to NYC, DisneyWorld, and Hilton Head without a good camera to document it so I sucked it up and bought a Canon EOS 100D. I bought the camera body only, since the lenses from my old one would work with it and that was a money-saver. They’ve progressed so far from when I bought the last one. This one has more megapixels, it can record video, and I really liked that it was lighter and more compact than the old one. And...the whole reason I bring up the subject of a new camera now is because it has a “food” setting and I think it does a great job capturing food pictures. I might have an opportunity or two to use that over the course of the trip. :rolleyes:

But first, a picture of Marlene ready to dine.

IMG_8465_zpsz3w3rvux.jpg

And her trip companions.

IMG_8470_zpstsvp5zae.jpg

Marlene and I ordered from the 3 Course Prix Fix section of the menu. I can’t remember exactly what Judy did. I think she was wary of the appetizer options and couldn’t have the desserts so just ordered something à la carte.

Here is my samosa and Marlene’s pakora (onion and spinach fritters).

IMG_8467_zpshfl93chu.jpg

The Indian food was fabulous! I got a spinach paneer dish, which I always love! The portions were huge. They didn’t look it coming from the kitchen, but plates can be deceiving.

IMG_8469_zpsp3pq6r6w.jpg

I got the chicken korma (I love that stuff), and I think Judy got lamb vindaloo (or maybe it was chicken). And of course, some naan.

IMG_1960_zpsixdf8bbm.jpg

My favorite part of that meal was the dessert. It was this delicious rice pudding with raisin-like bits. I guarantee you it was not as gross as that description just made it seem. I loved it so much that, despite my already full stomach, I ate the whole bowl given to me.

IMG_8471_zpsu0czugfr.jpg

This meal was fantastic. The best Indian food I’ve had in a loooong time. And best of all, it was inexpensive, which is contrary to everything you’ve heard about New York. The 3-Course Prix Fix option was $17.95. I think we only paid around $70 for this meal, including tip. (And this was the most expensive meal of the trip -- we ate cheap!) We were so stuffed, we took some leftovers back to our hotel fridge.

After dinner dad and I went to check out Times Square.

Judy’s been to New York City a couple of times chaperoning school trips so she opted to stay back at the hotel and get a head-start on catching some z’s, but seeing Times Square was a first for both Marlene and I, and we needed to see it at night. Hey, what’s another 10-block walk?!

We walked down 7th Avenue and all I could think about was the Rolling Stones’ “Shattered”, with the lyrics,

“All this chitter-chatter, chitter-chatter, chitter-chatter 'bout

Shmatta, shmatta, shmatta -- I can't give it away on 7th Avenue

This town's been wearing tatters (shattered, shattered)”

We got there and the place was jumping. Even on a weeknight in June. Everything was so bright it seemed like daytime.

That’s a primo location Marlene -- just hold that spot until New Year’s Eve!

IMG_8472_zpsjojzbw9c.jpg

Do my eyes deceive me or is that a hidden Mickey in the wires over my head?

IMG_8473_zpsfpxiuhp5.jpg

Marlene took a video of herself turning and capturing all of Times Square behind her. I’m not sure where her video ended up or if it’s saved somewhere, but I thought it was a great idea and made one too.

I suspect that Times Square is completely full of tourists and native New Yorkers avoid it like the plague, except for those who work there, like Minnie Mouse and Hello Kitty, whom you can see in the lower left of this photo.

IMG_8474_zpsnswgtpj2.jpg

We also saw other characters as well, like Mickey Mouse and Spiderman, but these folks are old news compared to the latest development at Times Square that’ll make you do a double-take and ask yourself if you’re actually seeing what you think you’re seeing -- women wearing only body-paint and a bikini bottom. (And posing for pictures of course, there’s always a money angle.) I’ve seen this topic in the news since we’ve returned from New York and apparently toplessness is legal in the city, but this latest turn of body-painted-bosoms in Times Square is causing a fair amount of consternation and a new legal battle is heating up. Naturally, as a dad on a walk with his impressionable young daughter and this teachable moment before me.....I made absolutely no mention of it whatsoever and we just kept walking. And to be honest, there is so much visual stimulation there; I don’t even know if she saw it. Yeah she probably did.

IMG_8476_zps0iojl7rf.jpg

I had to be sure to get a shot of the Lion King sign for the trip report.

IMG_8477_zpsjkzy3mag.jpg

Here’s a look back toward Times Square as we left. So much light.

IMG_1966_zpssoiwdt1y.jpg

The drivers are pretty aggressive, I’m sure they have to be in order to get anywhere. This truck driver pulled part-way through the intersection and then the light changed and he was completely blocking 7th Avenue. I can’t even imagine driving a semi-truck in New York City.

IMG_8478_zpsp46mwfpb.jpg

And that evening I received this snapchat from my sister, of our dog:

066_zpsa02xbtw9.png

Up next: New York Botanical Garden

Last edited:
Your dinner looks so good! I often say that I'll eat anything but Indian food (due to the spiciness factor), but as I eat almost everything I'd probably enjoy it more than I think I would. Your pictures make it look very appealing!

Also, I LOVE Yelp. I travel for work and use it all the time - I've found some really great restaurants thanks to that app! :goodvibes

I've never used Yelp but that's about to change. The Indian meal looks amazing! The witch's hat dish is so visually appealing; all of it is.

Your video is great! It appeared as though you were looking over to edge of something and needed to grab on!

Even the big man himself hasn't come up with anything better than Marv.
You mean the Marv before I lost the 40 pounds? :rolleyes2

My favorite part of that meal was the dessert. It was this delicious rice pudding with raisin-like bits.
As long as you're sure they were raisins. For some reason I keep hearing Crocodile Dundee in my head saying.........That's not a raisin.....That's a :eek:

This meal was fantastic. The best Indian food I’ve had in a loooong time.
Well, at least you had something to YELP about............ :rolleyes1

seeing Times Square was a first for both Marlene and I, and we needed to see it at night. Hey, what’s another 10-block walk?!
When you're stuffed from dinner? I would say........a blessing! ::yes::

Pat? Is that you??? :confused:

Naturally, as a dad on a walk with his impressionable young daughter and this teachable moment before me.....I made absolutely no mention of it whatsoever and we just kept walking. And to be honest, there is so much visual stimulation there; I don’t even know if she saw it. Yeah she probably did.
So glad you didn't take any pictures for us to draw attention to it........... :worried:

I'm glad you enjoyed your dinner. Sounds like an adventure, finding it on Yelp and then going up the 2nd story walk up to get there.

Hmmm sounds like Times Square is crazy. I didn't know about the nudity - what a whack-o world we live in. There are cities in Oregon where it is common to see 60 yr olds riding through town on bicycles nude. I always wonder what would make you think that was a good idea??? I guess the painted bodies is a new/old art form. :jester:

Awwe, your puppy missed you

I was a Paul Macartney fan !!! I really loved the Beatles in their early years , but not after they went weird after seeing that Maharrushi in India.A lot of their original British fans felt that way !! I didn't know about Strawberry Fields being near Liverpool though !!!

Oooh, that Indian food looked great! And you got a ton! I'd definitely say you got your money's worth.

Times Square looks awesome. I've not been to NYC yet. I'm hoping maybe my DH and I can go for our 15th anniversary in 4 years, but we'll see.

I definitely saw the Hidden Mickey behind you. And was the The Disney Store too?

Lion King. Wow. Have you seen that show? We go to see it last November when it came to Milwaukee and it was stunning.

Oh, and I love your video and Marlene's photo bomb at the end!

Your dinner looks so good! I often say that I'll eat anything but Indian food (due to the spiciness factor), but as I eat almost everything I'd probably enjoy it more than I think I would. Your pictures make it look very appealing!

Oh, you should try it sometime, even our kids love it. It’s usually not too hot, but of course, some dishes can be so ask your server if you’re not sure. We’ve even taken Poppy to Indian restaurants (successfully) and he’s the pickiest of them all! We always order him tandoori chicken. It’s very red in color but not spicy hot at all.

Also, I LOVE Yelp. I travel for work and use it all the time - I've found some really great restaurants thanks to that app! :goodvibes

I agree. We used it a lot on this trip. It’s a great resource.

I've never used Yelp but that's about to change. The Indian meal looks amazing! The witch's hat dish is so visually appealing; all of it is.

It’s a great app for finding restaurants and reading the comments to see if they’re what you’re looking for. Of course, like everything else on the internet, everything must be taken with a grain of salt!

I had to look back to see which dish you meant...the samosa! Ah yes, that was good. All I can think of whenever I get one of those is that was what our server brought us at Sanaa on our first visit (2010?) to try to make up for the long wait we had to be seated. The problem was, they have peas in them and we had just finished telling him that one of our kids can’t have peas. The poor guy meant well.

Your video is great! It appeared as though you were looking over to edge of something and needed to grab on!

Kilroy was here!

Joining in. Looks like a busy day.

:welcome: jandlinz!! Thanks for joining in. Good to have you here.

You mean the Marv before I lost the 40 pounds? :rolleyes2

Whoa! I hadn’t heard that. Congrats on the weight loss! I won’t recognize you!

As long as you're sure they were raisins. For some reason I keep hearing Crocodile Dundee in my head saying.........That's not a raisin.....That's a :eek:

I probably should have looked for the last Board of Health review certificate.

Well, at least you had something to YELP about............ :rolleyes1

Good one! :rolleyes2

When you're stuffed from dinner? I would say........a blessing! ::yes::

Yeah, you’re right! Our feet were tired, but a walk was still a good thing to get in between that full meal and bedtime.

Pat? Is that you??? :confused:

I almost called her out in the post to get her ruling, but I know how she’d vote -- when in doubt, it’s a Hidden Mickey!

So glad you didn't take any pictures for us to draw attention to it........... :worried:

Oh no, I wasn’t going there! Not even for you!

I'm glad you enjoyed your dinner. Sounds like an adventure, finding it on Yelp and then going up the 2nd story walk up to get there.

It was a really good dinner. I’m almost tempted to get on the train and head up there just for that!

Hmmm sounds like Times Square is crazy. I didn't know about the nudity - what a whack-o world we live in.

Yeah, I knew about the fake Mickey and Minnie’s and the Naked Cowboy and all that, but I did not know about this new development!

There are cities in Oregon where it is common to see 60 yr olds riding through town on bicycles nude. I always wonder what would make you think that was a good idea??? I guess the painted bodies is a new/old art form. :jester:

There is nothing new under the sun. (Speaking of which, they really oughtta use sunscreen and plenty of it!)

Awwe, your puppy missed you

He missed Judy really. He follows her around like a, well, ...a puppy.

I was a Paul Macartney fan !!! I really loved the Beatles in their early years , but not after they went weird after seeing that Maharrushi in India.A lot of their original British fans felt that way !! I didn't know about Strawberry Fields being near Liverpool though !!!

Aw, that was just a phase. And actually they were turned off on the maharishi after his reaction to their manager’s death and his (rumored) hitting on Mia Farrow. Daily Mail article

Oooh, that Indian food looked great! And you got a ton! I'd definitely say you got your money's worth.

It was, I’m drooling just thinking about it.

Times Square looks awesome. I've not been to NYC yet. I'm hoping maybe my DH and I can go for our 15th anniversary in 4 years, but we'll see.

I hope you get there. Lots to do and see.

I definitely saw the Hidden Mickey behind you. And was the The Disney Store too?

Yes, that was a Disney Store there at Times Square, but we were too busy looking at all of the goings-on that we didn’t go in.

Lion King. Wow. Have you seen that show? We go to see it last November when it came to Milwaukee and it was stunning.

I haven’t seen it, but Judy did a few years ago. She got to chaperone a group of kids and saw it there on Broadway. She raved about it, so I wouldn’t have minded if Marlene picked that as the show she wanted to see, but it wasn’t.

Oh, and I love your video and Marlene's photo bomb at the end!

Thanks, I liked her photobomb too!!

And...the whole reason I bring up the subject of a new camera now is because it has a “food” setting and I think it does a great job capturing food pictures. I might have an opportunity or two to use that over the course of the trip.

A food setting? It's like a camera specifically designed for DISers!

The portions were huge. They didn’t look it coming from the kitchen, but plates can be deceiving.

IMG_8469_zpsp3pq6r6w.jpg

I dunno, that looks like quite a lot of food to me.

My favorite part of that meal was the dessert. It was this delicious rice pudding with raisin-like bits. I guarantee you it was not as gross as that description just made it seem.

No, not at all. I like a nice bowl of snot as much as anyone.

Judy’s been to New York City a couple of times chaperoning school trips so she opted to stay back at the hotel and get a head-start on catching some z’s, but seeing Times Square was a first for both Marlene and I, and we needed to see it at night. Hey, what’s another 10-block walk?!

Good thing you've trained at Disney parks.

Well, it is next to the Disney store.

I suspect that Times Square is completely full of tourists and native New Yorkers avoid it like the plague

Probably, but you have to see it at least once. It's not something you can see anyplace else.

We also saw other characters as well, like Mickey Mouse and Spiderman, but these folks are old news compared to the latest development at Times Square that’ll make you do a double-take and ask yourself if you’re actually seeing what you think you’re seeing -- women wearing only body-paint and a bikini bottom.

:scared1: Then again...

A food setting? It's like a camera specifically designed for DISers!

:rotfl2: The official camera of the Disboards!

I dunno, that looks like quite a lot of food to me.

I agree! I think she meant those little dishes that the entrees are in. It's kind of like the servings of beef shortribs at Sanaa...you think "is this it?" and then it's so much, you're stuffed.

No, not at all. I like a nice bowl of snot as much as anyone.

I was going to reply with a Bad News Bears quote, but if people didn't realize it was a movie quote it could be taken as one of the most insulting replies ever.

Good thing you've trained at Disney parks.

Trained at Disney parks and for Disney parks!

Well, it is next to the Disney store.

And we didn't even go in. :faint: I believe I already have all of the Frozen merchandise that I'm going to need.

Probably, but you have to see it at least once. It's not something you can see anyplace else.

At least now I can visualize the New Year's Eve ball drop a little better.

:scared1: Then again...

omgblinky.gif

I put it on “burst” mode (where it would take a series of pictures as long as I held the shutter button down) so that I was sure to get some shots of her walking, receiving the diploma, and shaking hands with the Principal. Well, “burst” is exactly what it did
Uh oh...

(We had to buy the professional pictures of graduation since I didn’t have any.)
Just adding insult to injury. :headache:

And...the whole reason I bring up the subject of a new camera now is because it has a “food” setting and I think it does a great job capturing food pictures. I might have an opportunity or two to use that over the course of the trip. :rolleyes:
Food setting? Must be some Dis'ers working for the camera company.

This meal was fantastic. The best Indian food I’ve had in a loooong time. And best of all, it was inexpensive, which is contrary to everything you’ve heard about New York. The 3-Course Prix Fix option was $17.95. I think we only paid around $70 for this meal, including tip. (And this was the most expensive meal of the trip -- we ate cheap!) We were so stuffed, we took some leftovers back to our hotel fridge.
Cool! I'm glad you had a good meal and Yelp didn't lead you astray.

That’s a primo location Marlene -- just hold that spot until New Year’s Eve!
:rotfl2::rotfl:

Um... yes. And a hidden Disney store beside you!

I suspect that Times Square is completely full of tourists and native New Yorkers avoid it like the plague, except for those who work there, like Minnie Mouse and Hello Kitty, whom you can see in the lower left of this photo.
Get Minnie away from that cat!!!

We also saw other characters as well, like Mickey Mouse and Spiderman, but these folks are old news compared to the latest development at Times Square that’ll make you do a double-take and ask yourself if you’re actually seeing what you think you’re seeing -- women wearing only body-paint and a bikini bottom.
Um... well, that's certainly interesting. Where are the pictures of that????

Naturally, as a dad on a walk with his impressionable young daughter and this teachable moment before me.....I made absolutely no mention of it whatsoever and we just kept walking. And to be honest, there is so much visual stimulation there; I don’t even know if she saw it. Yeah she probably did.
Yeah... she noticed. I don't think you can miss something like that. And I guess this is a good reason for not having pictures, so I guess we can let it slide.

The drivers are pretty aggressive, I’m sure they have to be in order to get anywhere. This truck driver pulled part-way through the intersection and then the light changed and he was completely blocking 7th Avenue. I can’t even imagine driving a semi-truck in New York City.
They couldn't pay me enough money to do that.

UOTE="glennbo123, post: 54480874, member: 194103"]Do my eyes deceive me or is that a hidden Mickey in the wires over my head?[/QUOTE]

::yes::

::yes::::yes:: Don't think I have ever been through there - at least not at night. :eek:

I almost called her out in the post to get her ruling, but I know how she’d vote -- when in doubt, it’s a Hidden Mickey!

::yes::::yes::::yes::

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

The rest of your day looks wonderful- way to take NY by storm or foot anyway. :cool1:

Great find on yelp- Glad it was a good meal. Ambitious that you went out to Times Square. Nice video and it looks like you had a great time.

Whose idea was “burst mode”. Oh yeah, they can sell more cameras that way.

Just adding insult to injury. :headache:

Exactly.

Food setting? Must be some Dis'ers working for the camera company.

Or at least participated in a focus group or something.

Cool! I'm glad you had a good meal and Yelp didn't lead you astray.

It was realllly good.

Um... yes. And a hidden Disney store beside you!

Why there it is! We didn’t go in. Shame.

Yikes! :rotfl:

Um... well, that's certainly interesting. Where are the pictures of that????

Maybe somebody else’s camera, but not mine!

Yeah... she noticed. I don't think you can miss something like that. And I guess this is a good reason for not having pictures, so I guess we can let it slide.

I think there is a slight chance she didn’t see it, there was a lot going on. Thanks for understanding!

They couldn't pay me enough money to do that.

I wouldn’t want to drive in in a car, let alone a semi truck.

You never met a Hidden Mickey you didn’t like.

::yes::::yes:: Don't think I have ever been through there - at least not at night. :eek:

Just another corner of the good ol’ USA.

I’m liking the factorial Yes’s.

The rest of your day looks wonderful- way to take NY by storm or foot anyway. :cool1:

Don’t say “storm” right now, with Joaquin off the coast. ;)

Great find on yelp- Glad it was a good meal. Ambitious that you went out to Times Square. Nice video and it looks like you had a great time.

I wish I could go there right now, Bengal Tiger that is. So good.

Hey, you’ve gotta see Times Square when you visit, right? We had a fun time, for sure.

Living dangerously, I see.

:stir:
Devil.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter