Biergarten for Picky Kids?

PirateD

DIS Veteran
I'm hoping to get some information and opinions about the Biergarten menu for kids. Some of the adults would like to eat there for Christmas Eve. We have eaten there before and loved it, but never with the kids. I don't recall what kid friendly foods they had, if any. I don't see mention of a kids menu in any of the online menus. Just wondering how successful dining with kids (especially picky eaters) can be there. TIA!

I'm a picky adult and I have had no problems eating at Biergarten. If I remember correctly, they have the typical mac and cheese, and chicken fingers, etc. I didn't pay that close attention to that because even with me being very very picky, I will eat the sausages and potatoes that they offer.

My DD was a very picky eater when she was younger, and still is somewhat at age 9. We took her to Biergarten at age 3. To our surprise, she ate more there than we had seen her eat at any meal at WDW, and quite possibly more than any meal anywhere. That trip we had a lot of her living on Mickey Head Ice cream bars, and things we bought from Garden Grocer like cereal and grapes because she turned her nose up at WDW's kids chicken nuggets (FYI- the adult chicken strips are much better, but we did not learn that until the end of our trip), along with a lot of other things. At Biergarten, she tried several different things and ate them. I can't recall everything, but I do recall them having Mac and Cheese, Frankfurters, other sausages, Pretzel bread (a big hit), some type of meatball, regular rolls, fruit, roast chicken, mashed potatoes, and I'm almost positive that in the last few years they have also had chicken nuggets.

Dining with kids is always great there, not just for the food, but for the German band and the dance floor where the kids get out and dance during the show. From that first visit, DD has always ranked it as her favorite WDW restaurant, tied with Princess meals. It is a must do every trip for both DD and DH.

Both my husband and son are pretty picky eaters (one reason we don't bother with sit down meals at Disney and just do counter serve burgers and such).....but we did Biergarten as our only "nice" meal, and they both loved it! There is enough "normal" looking food, and with it being a buffet, there's the benefit of being able to try something without the fear of being stuck with it if you don't like it! It was a great experience.

I am going the other way here. My picky eaters ate NOTHING here. The Mac n cheese is not your typical Mac n cheese. They found not one thing to eat, no fruit, nothing.

Thank you for all of your replies and perspectives. It's very helpful, and I have shared the info with my family. So far, I think we are leaning towards giving it a try. We think it would be a fun Christmas Eve dinner. We have the kids excited to try some different types of foods from around the World Showcase so maybe it will be a chance to broaden their taste bud horizons. Or maybe it will just be a waste of money, lol. At least they are willing to try! I think if they have pretzel rolls, chicken (nuggets would be best if they have them, but they will more than likely eat the rotisserie chicken), fruit, and desserts, they should hopefully be good to go! :thumbsup2

My kids have dietary limitations and my oldest is pretty picky about textures and such. They always eat plenty when they are here. As for "kid friendly" options I'm not always sure what that means. But if you are talking about pizza and chicken nuggets then no you won't find it. But my kids very much enjoyed the chicken, pork, bratwurst, german meatloaf, roasted potatoes, applesauce and veggies. They couldn't eat the breads but the pretzel rolls and other dinner rolls are quite yummy and probably something most kids would eat. They each had a big bowl of fruit for dessert. And there are lots of other dessert options as well.

There is such a huge selection of food here I would think even the majority of picky eaters would find something to enjoy.

No chicken strips or fingers. You will not find pizza, American style hot dogs or breaded chicken nuggets there. They have roast chicken and mac & cheese. However it is not Kraft mac & cheese or kids meal mac & cheese. If they are very very particular they may not eat that either.

Speaking as a picky eater, I would not recommend eating here. We went once when I was young and the only thing there that I would eat was watermelon. It didn't really matter what food they had for me, the entire restaurant smelled strange to me, which is very off-putting (maybe sauerkraut?). As an adult, I am still a picky eater, but more adventurous. I still will not eat here. It was a long time ago, but at least back then they did not offer chicken fingers or "normal" mac and cheese.

If your kids are picky I'd skip it, I'm not usually overly picky eater as a adult but last year we ate there and I would not do it again. The food all had textural issues for me, everything had a very similar soft texture. We did have a teenager with us and she did not enjoy it either. I'm sure your picky kids could find something to eat but I'm not sure they'd enjoy it. That's kinda how I felt about it, I ate it because I paid for it but it certainly was our least enjoyable meal of the trip. I am glad we tried it though so I'd kmow one way or the other.

I have a super-picky 8 year old and he loved Biergarten. Schnitzel, pretzel rolls, and fruit were his big hits; he wasn't crazy about the mac & cheese, though. We were just happy he went back for seconds.

My kids loved it, however I am a picky eater and did not really love it. I didn't feel there were any "healthy" options.

Thanks to all those who have chimed in today. I spoke to my sister and mom and we are starting to have our doubts now. We are on the QSDP with FD but are going to pay for 2-3 special meals OOP. We are definitely going to book CP as we all enjoy it and 1900 Park Fare for Christmas morning but wanted something special for Christmas Eve. We are debating between EP and AK. Maybe we should go with AK and book Tusker House instead. I have been wanting to try it. I think I remember reading that it had some offerings for kids!

Thank you everyone for all of your input and advice! I can always count on your help for planning! :disrocks:

I'm also thinking that we don't necessarily need a TS meal to make Christmas Eve special. Maybe it will be more enjoyable to eat QS at a place where everyone is enjoying the food. After all, we will be at WDW and that is the most magical part of it all! :santa:

What do you consider "for kids?" A lot of kids will eat roast chicken, salads, the mac and cheese, fresh fruit, frankfurters (not the American style though) or pretzel bread. As was previously noted, if the kids will eat nothing but pizza, breaded chicken nuggets, french fries and grilled cheese sandwiches, you won't find that at Biergarten.

I'm hoping to get some information and opinions about the Biergarten menu for kids. Some of the adults would like to eat there for Christmas Eve . . .

1) I would not worry about picky-kid tastes.
2) You and Biergarten have the ultimate offense/defense, "If you do not eat tonight, then Santa . . . . . . "

:cool1:

I'm hoping to get some information and opinions about the Biergarten menu for kids. Some of the adults would like to eat there for Christmas Eve. We have eaten there before and loved it, but never with the kids. I don't recall what kid friendly foods they had, if any. I don't see mention of a kids menu in any of the online menus. Just wondering how successful dining with kids (especially picky eaters) can be there. TIA!

My son is a hot dogs and hamburgers with nothing on them kid. And he likes this place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter