Beware mixing green tea and cancer treatments

Discussion in 'Coping and Compassion' started by cgrobin, Feb 4, 2009.

1. cgrobin

cgrobin Earning My Ears

When I had radiation, I was told prior to starting the treatments to stay away from green tea as it could protect the cancer from the treatment.

I'd never heard anything specific about it in regards to chemo, but have always followed the advice you never take any supplements without getting your oncologists approval first.

Tonight I found this article in my news feed, and it really hits home how dangerous and untested mixing chemos (or radiation) and supplements can be. I never expected something so 'harmless' as green tea could totally nullify a chemo drug. And keep in mind, Velcade is the only one they've actually tested.

2. Mackey Mouse

Mackey Mouse <font color="blue">Me read the Navigator? I don't

Thanks for posting this information... I would never mix anything in during my husband's treatment without first consulting with his oncologist and hopefully with this reminder others will know to do the same.. Treatment is so difficult and tricky as to whether it works or not, it would not be a good thing to mix it up with something that is not approved by the FDA and your oncologist..

3. dee47

dee47 <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ DVC Gold

The problem with herbs and supplements, as demonstrated here, is that they are not regulated and therefore people assume they are always safe. Nothing can be further from the truth. I'd follow Marsha's advice and talk to the oncologist before taking or drinking any supplements or herbs.