Better Rental Agency?

DISvirgin1

Mouseketeer
We need to rent a car when we fly into Orlando. Is there one agency that is typically better/quicker than others? We will have our two young children with us and want it to be as smooth and quick as possible :)

We need to rent a car when we fly into Orlando. Is there one agency that is typically better/quicker than others? We will have our two young children with us and want it to be as smooth and quick as possible :)

I like Alamo which often is one of the cheaper options as well. I like them because you choose your own car. If you decide to book with them, sign up for their Quick------ Club. That way they have all your registration and credit card information ahead of time and then book your reservation using the account number. When you go to the rental area at MCO go to the Quick------ machine, input your reservation and it will spit out your paperwork. You then cross the street to the garage, go to the car category you reserved and pick the car that you want from the lineup. You drive to the exit booth, show your paperwork and driver's license and away you go! You bypass the rental counter completely and thus no one tries to sell you insurance or a bigger car.

BobK/Orlando

I also choose Alamo. I use the self-serve Kiosk which makes it quicker. No pressure from the counter people for up-sells. Bonus is you pick your own car. Unless your family is like mine. We can't agree on a car so its takes us forever to pick one out. :rotfl2: As PP said, their rates are usually the cheapest. As much as I also like Budget,I wouldn't use them at MCO, only because I've heard their lines are always long. A relative of mine waited in line 45 minutes last April.

I only use Alamo at MCO now - I'd use National if they had a better price, but Alamo usually wins. The kiosks rock and I love picking my own car. I'm sort of particular about it - I want a lighter interior, one without too much cleaning fluid smell, a particular make if possible (RAV4 for midsize SUVs, Sienna for minivan, etc).

Their drop-off service is always efficient, too. Once I noted that the driver's floor mat was in the cargo space in the back because I'd noticed only after arriving at the resort that it was soaked (smelled like cleaning fluid or water/carpet cleaner) and it had soaked the hem of my pants. I told them in an offhanded way to explain where the mat was, but they took $25 off the cost of my rental. I was impressed.

I only use Alamo at MCO now - I'd use National if they had a better price, but Alamo usually wins. The kiosks rock and I love picking my own car. I'm sort of particular about it - I want a lighter interior, one without too much cleaning fluid smell, a particular make if possible (RAV4 for midsize SUVs, Sienna for minivan, etc).

Their drop-off service is always efficient, too. Once I noted that the driver's floor mat was in the cargo space in the back because I'd noticed only after arriving at the resort that it was soaked (smelled like cleaning fluid or water/carpet cleaner) and it had soaked the hem of my pants. I told them in an offhanded way to explain where the mat was, but they took $25 off the cost of my rental. I was impressed.
That's who we will be using this Sept. I'm still watching rates daily to rebook. It seems like the choice and they (& national) are the official rental car company of Disney.

Another Alamo user here. That is the only agency we have used for years now. As others have said put your info in ahead of time and then head for the kiosk. We used it last year and were done in less than 10 min. We have already put in our info on-line for our trip next week. We will just head to the kiosk and then go pick out our car. You just need to show your license at the gate and point out any damage/scratches on the car before you leave so that they note it on your reservation so you don't get blamed for it.

I always use Avis. As a member of their Avis Preferred club I just go directly to the garage and look for my name on the board telling me what space my car is in. Couldn't be easier.

National Emerald Aisle Club.

You don't even have to stop at a kiosk to choose your vehicle. Just go directly to the Aisle, pick your car and drive away.

It's owned by the same company as Alamo and Enterprise and it sometimes costs a bit more, but another benefit is free upgrades. You rent a mid size and can take whatever is on the Aisle. This often means paying for a mid size, but getting a full size, or minivan or SUV, etc. at no extra charge. I once scored a free upgrade to convertible at MCO. :)

National also has a generous rewards program. You start earning free rental days very quickly.

Alamo here also, if you're lucky and get a rate that allows online check-in ( not all do ) use it. Just do the check-in a day or two before leaving home providing all your info and CC#. Then you just get your bags and go directly to the garage and look for the row with your size car, pick out your favorite flavor and off you go, show your CC at the exit and you'll be at WDW in 20 mins. No need to go to the counter or kiosk.

I only use Alamo at MCO now - I'd use National if they had a better price, but Alamo usually wins.

You probably know that Alamo & National are the same company. What you may not know is that there are no Alamo cars and National cars, at corporate locations such as MCO. They're the same cars; they just park them where they need them. Thus, if you rent from Alamo and don't see anything you like, walk over to the National side and take one from there. They don't care.

BobK/Orlando

You probably know that Alamo & National are the same company. What you may not know is that there are no Alamo cars and National cars, at corporate locations such as MCO. They're the same cars; they just park them where they need them. Thus, if you rent from Alamo and don't see anything you like, walk over to the National side and take one from there. They don't care.

BobK/Orlando
Really? That's pretty cool to know, but I guess when you return it you still need to return it back to Alamo, right?

Really? That's pretty cool to know, but I guess when you return it you still need to return it back to Alamo, right?

Well yes, return it to where you had your reservation, not from where you took your car. I've never tried it though. Guess you probably could do it. I don't see any advantage in doing that.

BobK/Orlando

I'm not sure about MCO, but at many airports, National and Alamo share the same return locations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter