Better Quality Scrapper Trading Pins for sale on Ebay or Amazon

I don't at all agree with your assumption that all the pins on the boards and lanyards are fake. We have been very impressed at DL including on our recent trip 60th anniversary week that there are so many real pins on the CMs lanyards and the boards. Yes, most every one also has at least one fake if not more, but a lot of them are real. We much prefer trading at DL because you can trade for real pins there, as opposed to WDW where probably 80 to 90% of the pins on lanyards and boards are fake. We found lots of great real pins trading anniversary week- and we traded real pins for them- with the exception that if DD gets a scrapper in a trade, then I will let her trade it back- I won't stick her with a bad trade on something that was already in circulation. If she really loves the pin even though it is a scrapper, she will keep it. She is 9 and has been big into pin trading for the last 2 or 3 years and has cork boards up in her room displaying her pins. She is getting good at telling scrappers. I thought pin trading was silly until I caught the bug by looking at pins with her when she started trading-- now I have a cork board up with "my" pins in the house too- which DH initially complained about, but now he admits he likes walking through the room and seeing a little bit of Disney and trip reminders there. The very worst during our most recent DL trip was that she likes the "mystery trades" where the CM's pin is backwards and you don't see what it is until you have traded and does those a lot- and she got a couple of clear and poor scrappers in those trades. I can't see how the CM did not know those particular pins were scrappers and I think it was kind of sad that they made those as the mystery pins and pawned them off on kids as the kids had no way of seeing the pin to judge it was clearly a scrapper before it was theirs. Just FYI- we actually did have one CM examine a pin DD traded to see if it was a scrapper during a trade- it was not and then the CM thought it was really cool as she had not seen it before- so just know not to assume that every CM there will accept scrappers. They can turn them down on the basis they are scrappers.

I spend lots of time prior to trips, finding pins that are real for DD to trade at lower rates, outlet prices etc. We try not to put scrappers into circulation if we can help it. It is very sad for us that others buy a bunch of scrappers which makes it harder for people that work not to put scrappers into circulation to have good pin trades. I get that you do not want to trade good pins for bad, but the problem is that if everyone does that, then it just floods more bad pins into the system and supports the people who sell scrapper lots. I would suggest that you just keep looking at Ebay and Amazon because you can find real pins on there at reduced prices. You aren't going to get them at 50 cents a pin like the scrappers, but you often can find real ones if you keep looking for between $1.50 and $2.00 a pin. You can often find booster packs those places at decent prices. In pin lots that are cheaper ...watch for words like "tradable" as opposed to authentic. "Tradable" is most times a pretty good giveaway that they are scrappers/

It is true that there are far more real pins on boards and lanyards in the mornings. At DL we have still had some great trades in the afternoon or evening, but there are definitely more scrappers around then!

Last edited:
My kids trade, but they have never traded with much pin valuation knowledge. They always picked what they liked. Very few that came home are keepers, so they bring their sets to trade over and over. Purchased pins never make it to their lanyard.

They started trading 10 years ago. I went wild that first trading trip and bought about 200 pins. These 200 have been traded dozens of times.

We probably have about 80 keepers. That's still 100 pins to trade next time.

Their interests have changed through the years. We stll have HS Musical and Hannah Montana pins to purge.

I get the OP's point. Rarely is a trade an UP trade.

@RobertaMomof2 yes, join http://www.pinpics.com/ its a free online pin trading resource, where you can search real genuine pins.You can see the information on each pin, release date and how to tell if its fake. I am a member, same name, and when you register you can see my collection and the pins I have for trading.

AWESOME! Thank you so much! I will go join and find the last few of the sets my kids need/want.

Go ahead buy your lots, trade away and have fun. Half the people who claim to know the difference between a "real" pin and a "scrapper" actually don't know. Most CMs can't tell the difference. You are correct that most of what you find on CM lanyards and boards aren't genuine bought-at-Disney pins.

If you kids like the pins, that's all that matters! Honestly, why spend $5 for a pin at a Disney store, just to trade it away for one somebody bought on eBay for 50 cents???? And is anyone going to tell their kids, "Yes, honey, I know Belle is your all time favorite and you absolutely LOVE that pin, but it's fake so we don't want to trade for it. Here's a Star Wars one that's real, so why don't you get that!"

Ignore those that make it sound like you're committing a major felony and have fun! It's little metal pins, for goodness sake....

We are new to pin trading. I have noticed, over the last couple of days, that many of the pins are the same from board to board. Does that mean they are fakes? Why is it that the same five or ten pins are showing up all over the park? I also haven't seen any that were not hidden Mickey pins. Are we just looking in the wrong shops?

We are new to pin trading. I have noticed, over the last couple of days, that many of the pins are the same from board to board. Does that mean they are fakes? Why is it that the same five or ten pins are showing up all over the park? I also haven't seen any that were not hidden Mickey pins. Are we just looking in the wrong shops?
Are those same pins you see part of starter packs you find in the gift shop?

@RobertaMomof2 YOUR kids dont mind, BUT you are putting FAKE pins into circulation, which other pin traders certainly do mind,which is just not right. Everyone does not just use FAKE pins, and you are just adding to the problem. Just stop being such a cheapskake and buy real genuine pins from Disney shops. Teach your kids the difference between right and wrong!

I find this comment incredibly offensive. I don't believe anyone on this board should be calling anyone names, regardless of how they feel about the subject matter. Furthermore, you don't know someones financial situation, and to call someone a cheapskate for any reason is unacceptable. While I don't condone trading fake pins with CMs or other guests, not everyone can afford to buy pins that range from $8 USD and up (which I've always thought it a ridiculous price for a pin) for their kids, and buying them in bulk online is sometimes the only realistic alternative. THAT BEING SAID, I don't believe these pins should be traded in the park or otherwise and should only be for personal collecting. I'm going to request this post be locked, as it's getting a little abusive in tone.

Following. I don't pin trade or believe in trading fakes, but I would like to know where on ebay I could get some good quality pins cheap just to decorate my backpack and stuff.

They sell hidden Mickey pins now in blind pouches. In addition to the starter lanyards there's a deal where you can get a lanyard and 1 or 2 pins at a combo price in the pin stores. I saw it advertised on Main St in May. You may have better luck finding unique pins on cast lanyards. The serious traders will go right for the boards in the morning, but CMs have shifts that start throughout the day, so you have a better chance of finding one that just got new Hidden Mickey pins. You can always ask the CM what's a new pin on their lanyard. On May 22nd my friend was sort of eyeing a CM's lanyard from afar and she tipped him off that she had 2 pins left that had been released that day. She even asked another CM if he had any left. Another time DL posted on Twitter that they were going to send CMs to a spot for trading. I went along with a friend not intending to trade, but asked the CM if she'd recommend any pins and she said there was one that was an AP exclusive on her lanyard.

This takes some planning ahead but i know my sister keeps an eye out for good Disney store online sales on pins then buys a bunch for trading. Yes normally you don't want 5 of the same pin. But if you want 1 and then trade the other 4, you just turned your five same pins into a bunch of different pins. These are not as cheap as those scrapper pins, but i have seen them for $4 versus the high priced ones in the park.

Another idea is to look for them in a thrift shop, kids often grow up and get rid of their collection. You're not guaranteed those are real either, but i imagine if you find a lanyard of pins from 2008, they're probably real, just no longer wanted by the original owner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter