Best TS restaurants for solo travelers?

Discussion in 'Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers' started by Justine825, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Justine825

Justine825 Earning My Ears

Good to hear more opinions! I think I have a general idea of where I want to eat during my solo trip, though I'm not 100% sure.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mouselike-harrier

mouselike-harrier Mouseketeer

Has anyone ever eaten at Cali Grill solo?

4. Simba's Mom

Simba's Mom <font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha

I did a few years ago, and enjoyed the experience. But while I enjoyed it at the time, it wasn't so great that I'm anxious to return. I asked at check-in and they were nice enough to give me a seat along the windows, on the far left as you enter the resturant. That way, at leat, I could watch the monorail and the boats.

5. jagfanjosh3252

jagfanjosh3252 #1 fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars

Yep. Fantastic.

6. Justine825

I've considered Cali Grill but I'm not sure about it. I'll have to see if it fits into my schedule while making ADRs.

7. undchefreak

undchefreak Mouseketeer

This is a great thread for newbies to solo traveling. Thank you for starting it! I've already made reservations at Sanaa and Wave because of this post. They fit in extremely well for my tour of the DVC resorts.

Thanks for all the input, and keep it coming! I've got an evening that could use a meal in Epcot :). I've experienced Le Cellier, Tutto Italia, and Rose & Crown with a travel buddy, but want to try at least one other there.

8. Justine825

@undchefreak Thanks! :)

And yes, thanks for all your input! It helps a lot!

9. jagfanjosh3252

jagfanjosh3252 #1 fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars

I find solo all the time. Never had a problem.

10. MICKFan

MICKFan MICKFan

I've eaten solo at Cape May for breakfast - loved it
    Teppan Edo - met a lovely young couple and the food was good!
    Crystal Palace - not a favorite of mine; just OK
    Mama Melrose - Very good food and great service

Going solo next month
    Have ressies for: Tusker House - Breakfast

Restaurant Marrakesh
    Grand Floridian Cafe
    Le Cellier for Lunch
    1900 Park Fare for Dinner (ate breakfast here a few years ago and really liked it)
    :)

11. Justine825

@jagfanjosh3252 Good to know! :)

@MICKfan All look like great choices! Let us know how it goes after your trip!

12. ~Tonga Wingo~

~Tonga Wingo~ A.K.A Mrs. Dale

Akershus for breakfast. Wonderful imo. Plus you get a free souvenir photo with Belle!

13. kwdw

kwdw DIS Veteran

I just did another solo trip and tried Sci-Fi Diner for the first time. I really liked that as a solo traveler because of the cars. It's only 2 folks per seat anyway - so I was the single in the last row of a car. The environment of the restaurant with the seat arrangements and the movie clips to watch made it easy and enjoyable to be a solo diner.

That said - I've eaten at ALOT of places solo now and really think you should just pick places where the food/prices/times available fit you best. I've had great experiences everywhere.

14. Justine825

@~Tonga Wingo~ Sounds awesome! Belle is my favorite princess, so if it fits into my schedule maybe I'll make an ADR there.

@kwdw Yeah, there's so many restaurants I can't decide on (50s PT or Sci Fi etc) that I'll just see which ones fit best with my schedule. Great to hear that you've had good experiences.

15. Justine825

16. BunsenH

BunsenH Bringing Order to Chaos

I also recommend the "Cooking Place" (counter) at Jiko. While I've always been there with my wife, we have had a solo next to us each time. The "Where are you from?, What are you eating?, What did you do today?" conversation makes the time fly by. We've even shared a dessert with new found solo friends. Also, although the chefs are preparing only the appetizers there, they know all about the entrees as they rotate stations. Food and wine suggestions are easily shared. Maybe even a bite of food! GO!

17. WizardLarz

WizardLarz DIS Veteran

I was also going to nominate Jiko's! The first time there I went with the chefs suggestion and tried the duck. When he saw that I was not enjoying it, I told him that I wish I had order the chicken, which had been my other choice. So He said "Wait 2 minutes and we'll a chicken out here." Two minutes latter they swapped out the duck for a chicken dish and only charged me for the one.

Both times I ate there I chatted with the Chefs and the others that were sitting alongside me. It was a enjoyable experience and has made Jiko's my new favorite at WDW.

For other choices try Kouzina's by Cat Cora or The Big River Brew Works at the Boardwalk, at Big River you can sit at the bar. Another great Bar seat is a Ragland Road in DTD.

Like others on this thread I've enjoyed almost every single one of my meals at all the Restaurants at WDW. Don't be afraid to ask your server for advice, I found out that when you order the Trio ( if they still have it ) at Kouzina's, you can get any combination of the 3 items
    simplly by asking.

I also want to add If you are a Wine or Beer junkie, try the Flights that are offered at quite a few of the Restuarants.

18. Justine825

Jiko sounds wonderful! A lot of people seem to love it. I've also considered Kouzzina and/or Raglan Road.

19. Justine825

20. karice2

karice2 DIS Veteran

I do solo for most of my trips. Here are some of my favorites. I usually do TiW so I don't know much about the dining plan. I also have to mention that I am an extrovert. I can find a friend anywhere I go.

Flying Fish Cafe - I really liked sitting at the bar and eating. Bartender was really nice. Since it is also in the conference resort area there are lots of people there to talk to.

Brown Derby - Love it. There is a lot of stuff to look at. The caricatures are fun to look at and there is a lot of hustle and bustle to look at.

Biergarten - Really liked it here. I honestly didn't know what to expect when I went in. (Pre Disboards). If you don't get a good group to talk to at least there is entertainment.

Raglan Road - Love it here. Good food, really friendly atmosphere and entertainment in the evening.

Coral Reef - Food is meh but fish are really nice to look at. Did this as part of candlelight processional.

Jiko - Love the food at Jiko and like to sit by the window and watch people going out to see the animals. I also like the subtle light show that they do to mimic the sunrise or sunset.

Cape May Cafe - I honestly felt invisible when I went for breakfast there. I didn't get to see the characters and the buffet was a little messy for my taste.

Whispering Canyon Cafe- I really liked it there. They have a lot going on so plenty to watch and participate if you want. Really liked it here. Food is a bit heavy so plan on doing some walking around after.

House of Blues - Used to love it, now not so much. They have a lot of cool kitchy things to look at but the menu is not great anymore. I used to go there just to eat the cornbread now it is off my list.

Wolfgang Puck - So disappointed. Felt invisible and did not get good food or service there. Waitresses were too busy flirting or upselling to other tables. Pasta was terrible.

Paradiso 37 - Not my favorite but not the worst. Kind of boring there. I did go at lunch so I could have just went at a bad time. Servers were too busy talking to each other about other servers. I do love gossip so I listened.

Yak & Yeti - Ate at the bar and had a really good conversation with bar tender. Also a really good place to hear cast member gossip.

And now the big daddy of them all

Victoria & Alberts - Yes I did it solo. Yes I loved it and make a point to do it every time I go. It is my way of telling myself that I am a big girl and should treat myself to the best where ever I go. The service is always impeccable and I feel like royalty when I am there. THe NE Divas will attest to how awesome this place is.

If you are looking for something Non- Disney, I highly recommend the Bull & Bear at the Waldorf Astoria. They have an amazing chocolate souffle.

I can't believe I wrote all of this but hope that it helped.

21. NJDiva

NJDiva Queen of everything....

Without question Victoria & Alberts is amazing! It is a dining experience!! I actually have reservations there on my birthday in May...so can't wait. I've never done it solo so I may have to consider it one visit ..but for this round my buff will be joining me. The NE Divas need to go back again ...it really was one of my favorite times in Disney
    I have tried a lot on your list...there are some I haven't tried yet...they may be on the list this year!