Best TS restaurants for solo travelers?

Justine825

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone!

I plan on going on my first solo trip in 2013, and I plan on using the regular dining plan. While I have some TS restaurants in mind, I want to know your opinions. :) Which restaurants do you think would be best for a solo traveler? The only TS restaurant I've tried at Disney is Crystal Palace (for dinner), so I'm willing to try a lot of new things.

We really enjoy Raglan Road at Downtown Disney - the bread pudding is fabulous, save room for it. We also really enjoy the Biergarten in Epcot, they will sit you with others since tables are for 8 which always makes me a bit apprehensive but we enjoy the food and muisc. We also love 50's Prime Time Cafe in Hollywood Studios and a trip to Disney would not be the same without it. Have a great time!

I like having something visual to keep me occupied when I have to dine alone, so my choices for solo dining are:

- Narcoossee's (Grand Floridian Resort), especially if you dine later, because you will be able to see the Electric Water Pageant on the Seven Seas Lagoon and Magic Kingdom's fireworks from the restaurant

- 50s Prime Time Cafe and Sci Fi Dine-In Theater (Hollywood Studios) - you'll have TV shows, movie clips, and cartoons to keep you busy

- Flying Fish (Boardwalk) - ask to be seated at the counter so you can watch the activity in the kitchen

Thanks for your suggestions!

I already am considering Narcoossee's because of the view and I've heard a lot of good reviews. I've also considered either 50's Prime Time pr Sci Fi Dine In. I haven't considered neither Biergarten nor Raglan Road but both sound like fun. :thumbsup2

Tepen Edo & Biergarden have communal dining...you won't have to sit by yourself. We love Teppen Edo, friends recommend Biergarden.

I love LeCellier...great food and it gives you a chance to plan the rest of your day. I totally agree with all of the other restaurants... they're awesome!

My fave restaurants for dining solo at WDW:

Flying Fish and Jiko - both have counter seating and are just fantastic. Flying Fish has always been bustling with activity even though I go during slow season. I have found Jiko to be a bit quieter. Don't know which type of atmosphere you prefer.

Bluezoo - you can get the full menu at the bar...I did the chef's tasting menu and it was one of the top 5 best meals I have ever eaten. Plus this restaurant just looks really cool inside.

Bistro de Paris - I snagged a table by the window and got to watch Illuminations during dessert. Very quiet atmosphere.

Artist Point - the food was excellent (cedar plank salmon) and the waiter was very attentive. He even took my charger in the back and charged my camera battery while I ate so I had a full battery when I went back to the park after dinner.

I don't know much about the dining plan but I believe all of these are signature restaurants which require additional TS credits. If that is indeed the case, they are absolutely worth it.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Tepen Edo & Biergarden have communal dining...you won't have to sit by yourself. We love Teppen Edo, friends recommend Biergarden.

Both sound great! I think I'll probably go with Teppan Edo.

I love LeCellier...great food and it gives you a chance to plan the rest of your day. I totally agree with all of the other restaurants... they're awesome!

My fave restaurants for dining solo at WDW:

Flying Fish and Jiko - both have counter seating and are just fantastic. Flying Fish has always been bustling with activity even though I go during slow season. I have found Jiko to be a bit quieter. Don't know which type of atmosphere you prefer.

Bluezoo - you can get the full menu at the bar...I did the chef's tasting menu and it was one of the top 5 best meals I have ever eaten. Plus this restaurant just looks really cool inside.

Bistro de Paris - I snagged a table by the window and got to watch Illuminations during dessert. Very quiet atmosphere.

Artist Point - the food was excellent (cedar plank salmon) and the waiter was very attentive. He even took my charger in the back and charged my camera battery while I ate so I had a full battery when I went back to the park after dinner.

I don't know much about the dining plan but I believe all of these are signature restaurants which require additional TS credits. If that is indeed the case, they are absolutely worth it.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

I checked and unfortunately Bluezoo does not take the dining plan though I might still check it out! All the other restaurants sound amazing!

I'll vote for Brown Derby!

Both time I ate there solo, I got extra attention from my server and host (but not intrusive). The host stopped by twice to check on me and chat a few minutes and the server took his time in responding to questions and offering suggestion. I was totally relaxed and able to sit back, have a leisurely meal and take in the surroundings. :hyper:

The problem with communal dining, as I found out the hard way, is that while you may get some nice table mates, you could just as easily got stuck next to someone who makes you wish you were alone again. That happened to me at Teppen Edo-next to a teenaged girl who obviously had just found her worst nightmare-getting stuck next to a high school math teacher. And as nice as I tried to be, my questions were met with monosylabic grunts (since I taught high school, those grunts weren't unfamiliar). I'd rather be alone than wish I was!
I really agree with the person who said they wanted something visual to keep them occupied, and for that reason I recommend Sci Fi, Coral Reef, Sanaa, Chefs de France (by the window), and Rose and Crown patio at lunch. And I always point out that I'm solo before I'm seated, and ask for something to look at, and I've always found the hostess to be very accomodating. Anothger great place for people-watching is a Character Meal (believe it or not). No one notices that you're solo (they're focused on looking for the characters).

I eat out every night at home and sit at the bar. I like the opportunity of the turnover with people waiting for a table or being able to chat with the bartender.

My favs are:

Yak n' Yeti
50's Prime Time Cafe
The Wave
Cali Grill
Raglan Road
RFC
Paradiso 37

I'll vote for Brown Derby!

Both time I ate there solo, I got extra attention from my server and host (but not intrusive). The host stopped by twice to check on me and chat a few minutes and the server took his time in responding to questions and offering suggestion. I was totally relaxed and able to sit back, have a leisurely meal and take in the surroundings. :hyper:
This! I had a great liesurely solo dinner here a couple of years ago and would do it again in a heartbeat.

All of your suggestions sound great!

@Simba's Mom It stinks that you had an experience like that :( I'll have to consider that while making ADRs. Also that's good to hear that about character meals.

@Missytara I didn't think about sitting at the bar, good idea!

I just got back from a solo trip and I ate at Donald's breakfast and France by myself. They were both great. The character meal was a little odd by myself at first but I had a great server and she insisted on me getting a pic with Mickey Mouse. The funny thing was the table beside me kept whispering she is by herself, thats so different, and so on. But when the next character was coming around one of the teenage girls got up and offered to take my pic with them. I guess they were just concerend about me getting the most out of the character meal.

my list
Cape May cafe at BC
Kona Cafe at Polyn
Wave at CR
Boma at AKL

in parks - don't do this alot - would rather spend my park time on the park....
Crystal Palace
Liberty Tree Tavern
Garden Grill - Land - Epcot
Bistro de Paris - france - Epcot
use to love Akershus - but haven't eaten there since it is all Characters
Rose and Crown - outside for fireworks -Epcot

now I did not like 50's prime time
you know don't really have a favorite place to eat at Studios or AK - guess don't spend enough time there to eat.

I would also recommend Biergarten!!! We've eaten there many times and the atmosphere is just too fun to not enjoy yourselves and have fun with the strangers around you. Not solo, but I was actually there with a group of 10 recently, and we had our own table, but still found ourselves talking to people at the table a level above ours. (It's done with semi-stadium seating in the round so everyone can see the stage) The show also makes it one where you have some entertainment while dining to take your mind off things!

Tokyo Dining - I had a great lunch there yesterday, they sat me at a window seat so I had a great view, service was attentive and polite (as is standard in Japan) and overall it was a nice relaxing lunch. I'm going to try and fit in another ADR here before I leave.

Meals that I did solo last month -

Sanaa - loved it. I went at the last seating for lunch and got a table by the window, sat and watched the giraffes. Amazing!

Chefs de France - good service and I didn't mind being alone. Again, I had a table by the window and I could people watch into the World Showcase.

Crystal Palace - this was fun! Because character meals are such a chaotic event (take a bite of food, jump up get your picture taken, sit down. Oh wait, here comes another one. Jump up....), I didn't mind being alone. The handlers and my server both offered to take my picture.

50s Prime Time - I had a great server and I was in one of the back rooms. I watched the TV at a nearby table and my 'cousin' gave me lots of attention.

Narcoossee's - I hated this. I've been here before but never alone and I felt awkward. I wouldn't do this one again by myself. I got my dessert to go and walked over to the entrance of MK to watch Hallowishes.

Brown Derby - nothing special or bad about this one. Nothing to keep me entertained so I wouldn't do it again alone.

Kona - I did this for lunch. I had a conference call during most of my meal so listening to the call kept me occupied so my opinion is indifferent. I didn't feel that it was that good of a deal using the dining plan though.

Captains Grille - meh. Nothing to do. Restaurant was pretty dead. I was bored. I looked thru the pics on my camera and phone. It would be a good place to sit and go over touring plans or just have peace and quiet.

Hope that helps. I do a solo trip every year and I love it! I travel with the best company that way. haha.

I have taken a lot of solo trips and the only TS restaurant I go to on every trip is Sci-Fi Dine-in. I LOVE it! This is the best solo location for those on the shy side, like me. :)

I have also enjoyed Boma solo and on my last trip, I went to La Hacienda de San Angel. It was fabulous! I had an 8:30 pm ressie and being able to watch Illuminations from inside at my table was awesome!

I have only tried a character meal once. I was terribly uncomfortable and will never do it again solo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter