Best trip ever with my 2 yr old & bf! Moved by disney from pop to deluxe!!!!

Discussion in 'Completed Trip Reports' started by CJDisneyMommy, Oct 18, 2011.

1. CJDisneyMommy

CJDisneyMommy Mouseketeer

Yes, you read it right. I paid about $65/night to stay at Pop Century with a 35% room discount. And due to unforeseen circumstances, my family was moved into the most beautiful deluxe resort on Disney property. Where, you ask? You will have to wait and see!!!!

My name is Katie. I am a Disney lover and mother to an amazing two year old boy. I am graduating with my bachelors in Psychology on December 22nd of this year, FINALLY!!! I work for Pandora Jewelry and I absolutely love my job. I try to get my family to Disney at least one time each year, and this trip was by FAR, my best trip in years!!

MOI
    [​IMG]

My wonderful, amazing, and handsome little boy is Conner. Everyone say "Hello" to my big boy!!! He is two years old, and will turn 3 this February. I measured Conner on a weekly basis throughout the months leading up to our trip. I was SO excited for him to get on Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain for the first time!!! He was 39 1/2 inches with tennis shoes on a couple of days before we left. You have to be 40 inches to ride BTM and SM. Did he make it, you ask? WAIT AND SEE:thumbsup2

My sweet boy:lovestruc
    [​IMG]

Conner's dad, and my middle school boyfriend (no, not joking. he really was!! lol) is JR. JR had never been to Disney before moi :scared1: I know, right?! But he loves it now, so all is well in our home:thumbsup2 JR works at the FDA near Washington DC. We are from MD, and live in between Baltimore and DC. JR's favorite ride the Pirates of the Carribbean!! I think he secretly wants to be Jack Sparrow:banana: which I am all for because I love me some Johnny Depp

Lover:lovestruc
    [​IMG]

So now to our trip. Our wonderful, amazing trip, that I miss so dearly! I had booked us to stay at Pop Century from September 28th through October 4th, with a seven day park hopper. However, we only spent a couple of nights at Pop, and were moved somewhere else. A beautiful, stunning somewhere else. BUT! For an ugly reason. While yes, our move was ah-mazing, there is a dark reason behind it. WHAT?! WHAT?!

I know you are just dying to know. But I haven't even started day one of our trip yet silly! Day one to come tomorrow morning.

STAY TUNED:thumbsup2

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. CJDisneyMommy

DAY 1- "We're FINALLY going to see Mickey, Conner!!!"

So, I have been trying to hype up this trip to get my son excited, and for months I have been telling him we are going to see Mickey Mouse. I think he finally stopped believing me, considering two year olds don't really have the best concept of time. But the morning of September 28th, I woke him up bright and early at 4:30 am!!

Sleepy boy on the way to BWI
    [​IMG]

We were lucky enough to have my grandfather pick us up and drive us to the airport, which cut out the cost of a cab or paying to keep my car at the airport. We were flying airtran, and since I am a cheapo, we did not check any bags. We got right through security, and still had over an hour to spare before our flight was scheduled to leave. We dropped our stuff off at the gate, and I took Conner to McDonalds for breakfast. Thinking I had all the time in the world, we strolled on back to our gate, when suddenly I notice JR JUMPING up and down and yelling at me to hurry up. For what?! We still had an hour before our flight left. EVERYONE HAD BOARDED!!!! So for those of you who plan to fly airtran in the future, they don't play around. They board super early...like it was annoying early.

**Quick side note: My son is a BIG two year old, and he had outgrown his umbrella stroller prior to our trip. I had searched high and low for a nice, new jogging stroller (for months might I add), and I finally found my beauty- the Britax B-Agile jogging stroller (a BIG splurge at $250.00). I get really excited over new stuff...just keep this in mind.

So we got on the flight, and I was super stoked for Conner to take a nap. :lmao: Which totally DID NOT happen!!! Argh. Luckily, I came equipped with snacks galore, books, and a couple of small new toys to help keep him busy. But, I have to say, we were ecstatic to get off that plane at 9:10 in ORLANDO!!!! YES!

We got off, and our stroller was supposed to be there waiting for us. Well, it took FOREVER for them to find it and bring it up. And, it was damaged. Like, I mean tossed, dragged, thrown, stomped on a couple of times, DAMAGED. And I was furious. We had even bought a nice $30 duffel to help keep it safe. Well, they dragged the duffel so far that the bag ripped, and my stroller was all chewed up. So we spent the first hour of our trip in Airtrans office making a claim which I might add, was an absolute nightmare. I called my mom crying at one point because I was so furious. One of the men working in their office accused me of lying, and said my stroller had normal wear and tear. Well, because it was so new, I still had the receipt in my wallet. Mr. Jerk face didn't have much to say after he saw the date I bought it. UGH! We finally got our way with airtran, and we were off to...the MAGICAL EXPRESS!!!

We only waited a short amount of time, and before I knew it, we were off to POP! I'm really not a fan of the value resorts, but considered that I am still paying for college, amongst other bills and Conners daycare...we go value or we dont go at all! Which is fine with me. The Magical Express ride was miserable. Conner was exhausted, I was still upset that we had to spend so much time dealing with airtran, and JR was feeling a little bit of both.

So, we were thrilled when we saw the sign for Pop Century! We were finally there! Luckily, they fulfilled my request for the first floor, but we were right out front of a pool. Two reasons I didn't want this- A) it gets loud during nap time, and b) it scares me with conner. The lady at the front desk did everything she could to move us, but had no luck. Finally, it was after 12, and I just wanted to get into the magic kingdom already so we gave up. Quickly, we dropped our bags off, unpacked, and hopped on a bus for the magic kingdom!!! (Conner slept the whole time we checked in and unpacked, so he was fresh and ready for the bus!)

Oh how sweet it was to walk under the train stop and feel the butterflies as I stepped onto Main Street. All of my worries were gone.:cloud9: Our first stop? The barber shop! Conner has gotten his haircut every year, including his very first hair cut in 2009!

Conner through the years:

10 months old-1st hair cut December 2009
    [​IMG]

1 1/2 years old-October 2010
    [​IMG]

2 1/2 years olf-October 2011!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

He wanted the confettis this time

[​IMG]

Conner and JR

[​IMG]

Me and Conner

[​IMG]

For those of you who have never taken notice of the barber shop on main street, it is tucked away right across from Town Hall, next to the doors where parades come in and out of. Little boy hair cuts cost $15, and for the first cut, you get a pair of Micket ears with "First Hair Cut" embroidered in them, a locket of hair, and a certificate. I think its one of Disneys best kept secrets.

After Conner's haircut, we were off to our first ride of the day. I had been longing for this moment for so long!! Can you guess what ride we got on?!? More to come....

4. leslie826

leslie826 Mouseketeer

Love the barbershop pics over the years. Conner is adorable! You also brought back a repressed memory... 2 years ago we were flying Airtran out of BWI when DH decided to use the restroom while they were boarding and we almost missed the plane. They were calling him on the loudspeaker and he couldn't hear it...I was fuming. :laughing: Excited to read the rest of your TR!

5. CJDisneyMommy

Thanks for joining!! Are you from the Baltimore area? I love BWI, but airtran is a little rediculous with how early they board! I can't believe your DH was called over the loud speaker. I would have flipped!

6. jojo0612

jojo0612 Mouseketeer

Can't wait to read more! We too were booked to stay at Pop and were upgraded to a Deluxe. I"m wondering if it was for the same reason??? Can't wait to hear your story!! :goodvibes

7. jojo0612

jojo0612 Mouseketeer

We were booked for 9/17 - 9/25 at Pop. Sorry forgot that detail! :)

8. arothrock

arothrock Earning My Ears

Hi! Can't wait to read the rest of your Trip Report. I also have a two year old and I am from MD - Harford County. We are going to Disney in December through BWI but through Southwest. I can't wait to hear your tips on traveling with a 2 year year old!

9. leshunlenese

leshunlenese DIS Veteran

Hey Girl! Im here and i saw on FB but i will not spoil the surprise but im curious to hear the story and OMG JR looks like a happy big kid in that pic with conner. Too excited if thats possible at disney. Its not for me. Can't wait to hear about your trip

10. kcandbella

kcandbella DIS Veteran

Joining in! We were there at the same time as you, wonder if we crossed paths at all? Your little boy is too cute!:goodvibes

11. tinkgurl

tinkgurl DIS Veteran

I'm so glad you started your TR! How awesome you got moved!!

I just love the pics over the trips getting his haircut!

12. kokotg

kokotg DIS Veteran

I'm in! We were at Pop the same week (without the surprise upgrade :))...can't wait to hear the story about why you got moved!

13. amandaw

amandaw DIS Veteran

Joining in! Your little boy is so cute! :goodvibes

I can't wait to hear all about the upgrade to deluxe. Sounds like it has the potential to be a horrifying story.....with a great outcome.

14. CJDisneyMommy

Oh goodness, now I'm dying to know why you got moved!! We'll have to share stories when I get to that chapter of our trip!

Too funny, our trips almost overlapped one another!

:cloud9:Disney in December:cloud9: It's so beautiful! Have you been before? I always prefer southwest over airtran, but when we went on our trip, the southwest flight was nearly $50 more per person, and it left an hour later.

And do I ever have some tips on traveling with a two year old. For starters, splurge on a nice stroller!! It made the trip more enjoyable for everyone in my family.

Hey!!!!!!!!! Shh, don't tell anyone :thumbsup2 JR IS a big happy kid lol

Thanks for joining!!!

Yay, you're here!! We love getting that haircut on main street, it's always such a pleasant experience.

I can't wait to tell it!!! Thanks for joining:goodvibes

Thank you! You just about pinpointed our move lol

15. CJDisneyMommy

When we finished Conner's haircut, I was on a mission. I led JR on a speedwalk down Main Street, through Adventureland, and into Frontierland. Where was I headed, you ask?

SPLASH MOUNTAIN!!!

I had only been longing to take Conner on SM for months, and now, it was the moment of truth.

WAS

CONNER

TALL

ENOUGH

?????

????

?????

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At first he slouched next to the measuring post, but JR helped him straighten out those little legs of his, put his head up, and he was RIGHT at the line. And off we went, I practically scooped Conner up and ran through the line in my childish rush of excitement. There was no line, whatsoever! We had to wait maybe five minutes right where the boats are, but that was it. Before I knew it, we were boarding our log boat...IN THE FRONT ROW! Conner was a little unsure of the darker areas throughout the ride (ex: when you go down the hill into the laughing place, that drop is small but VERY dark.) His hesitation was minimal though, and he was actually trying to stand up and look around. JR and I had placed him in the seat between us for safety reasons, but I think we obstructed his view a bit.

JR kept asking me, "is this the big drop, is this the big drop?!".."No, silly goose, stop acting like you have never been here before!"

Then it came! Conner did fabulous! He asked if we could go again:cool1: My kid is the coolest! I had planned on buying our picture of Conner's first plunge, but JR's big arm blocked Conner's face :sad1:

The line for Splash had gotten relatively long, so we figured since Conner was tall enough for SM, maybe he would make the cut for Big Thunder Mountain.

And he did!!! I personally was a little hesitant to put Conner on the wildest ride in the wilderness, but I figured everyone has to start sometime. By far, Big thunder Mountain, or the Choo Choo, as my big brave boy calls it, is his FAVORITE ride of the entire trip. JR taught Conner to put his arms up when we went down hills, and Conner would laugh and yell when we went fast. He had so much fun. It was one of those memories that will last a lifetime. Thanks Disney:lovestruc

We rode BTM again....and again lol Yes, totally serious.

Then, to get out of the heat, we made our way over to Cosmic Ray's for a late lunch/early dinner. Jr and I each got a basket of fries and chicken fingers. It was this first meal when we learned that Disney gives you WAY too much food. So from there on out, we got one meal, and split it. Or if JR was SUPER hungry, he would get his meal, and I would get a kids meal. Conner eats off of us. He is going through a terrible phase with his eating habits, and everytime I get him a meal, he won't touch it.

After Cosmic Rays, I thought it would be nice to take a relaxing ride on the Wedway aka People Mover.

Some pictures from the wedway:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Notice the crane nexts to Conners head, that stupid thing was right next to my beautiful castle almost the whole trip.:sad2:

[​IMG]

And going through my pictures, I just realized I left out a really cool part. In the midst of my brisk speedwalking down Main Street and ALMOST into Adventureland, I realized the Castle parade was starting. What perfect timing! JR ran up with Conner and out came MICKEY MOUSE! Oh, it was so perfect. We only watched for a few minutes before I had to wisk us over to Splash, but Conner loved it.

[​IMG]

OH! And on our way through Adventureland, I came across my other lover, Captain Jack Sparrow! gosh, Disney does their make up good!

[​IMG]

After the WEDway, we decided to try our luck in another park. So we hopped on the monorail.

"por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas!!!"

I think I have known that one sentence in spanish since I was five lol

After a quick ride to the TTA, we got off the monorail, and hopped on another monorail to EPCOT!! We made our way through some of the countries, and tried to keep it low key for the rest of the night since everyone was getting exhausted. Conner and I, of course, had to take advantage of a couple of photo ops here and there

[​IMG]

We were able to get Conner on one more ride before he decided to pass out, and I doubt the ride helped wake him up! It was the boat ride in Mexico. I just LOVE that pavillion. I know the restaraunt is pretty much the same thing as Don Pablos, but its the pavillion that makes it so pretty.

Conner was so sleepy waiting in line
    [​IMG]

I don't take pictures on the boat rides when other people aren't taking pictures because the flash can ruin the ride for some people. So no photos for this one.

After we made our way through the countries, Conner was out, and JR was pretty much sleep walking. So we decided to hop on our bus back to POP. I begged and pleaded to wait another 25 minutes for Illuminations, but JR was exhausted, and I knew everyone was ready for bed. Shh, don't tell my mom we missed Illuminations. She would have a cow.

The bus ride back was nice and quick, and not packed, which is always a plus. We got back to our room, and before I knew it, I was off in dream land with the princesses and princes that I couldn't wait to see.

But where would I take my own little prince in the morning? I had another mission to accomplish in the early morning hours!!

Stay tuned:goodvibes

16. Mini Minnie :)

Mini Minnie :) Earning My Ears

joining in! :goodvibes Conner is so adorable! and your upgrade to a deluxe is so intriguing! :laughing: can't wait to read more!

17. MyHappilyEverAfter

MyHappilyEverAfter Earning My Ears

Conner is super cute! Can't wait to read more!! popcorn::

18. jason4024

jason4024 <font color=red>DIS Dad #541<br><font color=navy>I

Sorry about the problems with AirTran. Hopefully the stroller holds up throughout the trip. Sound like Conner is in for a ton of new things with his new found height. Can't wait to read more.

19. amandaw

amandaw DIS Veteran

What a brave boy you have! And he's only 2 1/2! I wasn't brave enough to even try & get my 3 year old son on those rides during our May trip. He cried on Barnstormer during his 1st trip last December. He needs to grow out of that because my DH & I are coaster enthusiasts. :lmao:

Sounds like y'all had a great 1st day! Can't wait to hear more.

20. minandmick

minandmick Mouseketeer

Lovin' this trip report!

21. lauren_elizabeth

lauren_elizabeth Disney World Lover

Upgrade from Pop to a deluxe?! SWEET DEAL! :thumbsup2

That's so awesome that Connor was able to do Splash & Big Thunder!