1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Best to book a Disney Cruise through...

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by wildzootv, Dec 28, 2012.

1. wildzootv

wildzootv Mouseketeer

Disney? or some discount online place? Travel agent? Does it matter?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. EPCOTatNight

EPCOTatNight I am the Polynesian Parking guy

There is NO "discount" online place. Disney cruises can not be discounted. The online difference is the "perks" you can get from booking with a certain company. It is usually a higher onboard credit or a gift card like at Costo.

4. paddles

paddles Mouseketeer

I'm a big fan of Costco....they give cash cards worth about ~8% of the cruise cost.

5. Billinaz

Billinaz Waiting to spend time in our home away from home..

Another Costco fan. I thought it was more like 10% though...... We get a cash card better than any OBC by at least double.

6. lanejudy

lanejudy Moderator Moderator

As a PP mentioned, DCL cruises cannot be "discounted." You will pay the same fare regardless of whether you book it yourself with DCL, through AAA or any other travel agent. Pay attention, as some will quote the fare without taxes or fees so it looks less expensive. All special deals are available through any booking method (online or phone directly with DCL or through at TA). Many TAs will offer an onboard credit and/or a "gift" of some sort for doing your business with them - that's where it can be beneficial to use a TA. Also, if you book through a TA all changes or such must be done through the TA as he/she "owns" the reservation; if you like to micromanage your own reservation and be able to make changes yourself, you might not want to use a TA.

7. ~Mandy~

~Mandy~ Mouseketeer

That's what I like about Costco, you still own the reservation so you can make your own changes, login and see your info, you receive all the documents. I used Costco and it was no different than if I had booked on my own, with the expection of the Costco giftcard I received for using them. Pricing an August cruise through them now online and the offer seems to be about $400 for a 4C.

8. FLWIDisneyFan

FLWIDisneyFan Mouseketeer

How does on board booking discount work with Costco?

9. Luv2Diz

Luv2Diz We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Once you get home, call Costco Travel and have them transfer the reservation. Just provide them with the DCL reservation number and they will take it from there. They will also then tell you what your Costco cash card amount will be based on the cost of your cruise.

10. Billinaz

You must name Costco as your travel agent onboard though. If you dont, then DCL becomes your travel agent. Costco then looses the ability to give you the incentives if you transfer the registration.

Its the same for any travel agent when booking onboard.

We dont book onboard any longer though, DCL discontinued any discount for suites when you book onboard.

11. MouseMomx2

MouseMomx2 DIS Veteran

We always book directly through DCL. I don't like giving up control of my reservation to a travel agent and prefer to handle everything myself.

12. Luv2Diz

Luv2Diz We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

This is correct - I forgot to write that you do need to let the onboard booking rep know who your travel agent is.

We didn't book onboard during our latest cruise. We have some flexibility in traveling so will just wait until military offers or *GT rates are released.

13. dwonderz

dwonderz Mouseketeer

We book through a TA - we got a nice onboard credit through the agency and we know someone is looking out for any additional discounts (if applicable) and we can call/e-mail someone who has TONS of Disney knowledge anytime - for free. We did it mainly for the extra guidance.

14. ekatiel

ekatiel DIS Veteran

We use www.cruisecompete.com whenever we book a cruise. The site gives you quotes from several travel agents. You can compare them and choose the one that gives you the best OBC, etc. --Katie

15. darkwing818

darkwing818 DIS Veteran

We do the exactly same :thumbsup2. I've seen to many people at Guest Services (not just cruises) trying :confused3 to figure out what their TA did or didn't do to their reservations.

16. Billinaz

Im the same way, but what I do is set up the reservation with DCL. I tell them that my travel agent - Costco - will apply the deposit shortly and get the reservation number.

You fill out a form and transfer that reservation to Costco, and after a day or so I call Costco with the reservation number and they apply the deposit.

Its the best of both worlds. I set up the reservation, and get a great cash card from Costco on my return from the cruise!

If anyone needs more info on how to do this feel free to email me. I can also send you the form so you have it all done......

17. wildzootv

wildzootv Mouseketeer

Costco ...as in the huge store like sam's club? :confused3

Thank you all!! I appreciate it.

18. paddles

paddles Mouseketeer

Yes - Costco (similar to Sam's club) :)

The awesome thing about Costco is that the cash cards are IN ADDITION to any discounts you get for booking a cruise or an ABD trip while on-board.

19. Bear3412

Bear3412 DIS Veteran

Fwiw, I turned my Costco card into cash at the store and walked out. :)

20. Billinaz

yes it is

www.costcotravel.com

Never thought about turning the costco card into cash!... But then again, who cant spend a bunch of money at Costco?????

21. Wendybird55

Wendybird55 DIS Veteran

With any Disney vacation, if you're a Disney fan and know or are interested in doing your own research and planing then I would book directly through Disney. I have always found Disney CMs are more than willing to give you info. on any special deals or offers if you ask and always have the patience to price your trip using different scenarios. If you enjoy the planning I think this is the best way to stay on top of your trip.

I am going on my first Disney Cruise in a few weeks (Have been to Disney World many, many times and have also been on many non-Disney cruises). This cruise was a suggestion of an inlaw who is using her friend travel agent and I am not happy at all as this travel agent doesn't seem to know squat and I know I could have planned everything much better on my own through Disney. But I'm keeping my mouth shut as to not "cause any waves". In fact I called DCL directly to confirm my reservation number and some information as it was less than a month from my trip and I had heard nothing from the travel agent. The DCL agent was very helpful, but could only do so much as my trip was planned thru a travel agent and they had to take care of certain things.

This travel agent is so daft that when we finally got our cruise books I read thru it and went online to do all the pre-registration and check out the shore excursions and register my son etc. as suggested. When my husband spoke to his sister asking if she looked at the book yet and if she had any opinions on the shore excursions she said her friend the travel agent told her she didn't have to do anything all she needed was the book. My husband said technically you don't have to do anything, but if you want to preresgister for things and have everything together for when you check in and board you should read the book.

I want to prepay my tips, but it says if you book with a travel agent you have to prepay through them and I don't trust her at all so I'll wait until we get on the ship.

So my opinion is do it yourself if you want the control or make sure you find a very good and reputable travel agent to help.