Best time of year for South Africa?

tsgirl

Mouseketeer
For anyone who has been to South Africa, which time of year is better: Christmas or August? I know their seasons are the reverse of ours, but will you see more animals if you go in August because it is cooler? Is it more like a vacation to go at Christmas because it is warm there? What about rain? Thanks!

I'd be interested in knowing this too.... and what about bugs?

We went in July as US summer break worked better for us. In the SA winter there are fewer bugs and they say it is easier to see animals because there is less foliage. But being at Kapama which is a private reserve, I am guessing the animal sightings may not vary a lot through the year.
We went prepared for cold and rain, but the weather was beautiful. We did not get to go to Table Mountain until the last possible chance, but that was because of wind.
Loved the trip - happy to answer any questions

It all depends on where you are going, Christmas is the middle of summer and temps in Kruger can go over and above 46 (celsius), nights are also warm. Cape Town however is pleasant at that time. It is also rainy season and the grass will be high!

August will be nice sunny (25 - 32 degrees) and dry days, but nights will cool off depending where you are....

South Africa is a big country and Cape Town is different from Jo'burg which is different from Kruger etc...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter