Best time for college program?

PixieDustGirl18

Princess in Training
Hello everyone! I am going to be a freshman in college this year and I know for sure I want to do the college program. However, I am stuck in when I should do it. I'm not 100% sure if I want to just take a semester off and do it my sophomore year or wait until the end of my senior year. on top of all this what time of year is best? All the options have such cool aspects. Different festivals and holidays. And would you recommend doing the regular or advantage programs? My only concern with the advantage is being away from home for so long. Thanks for all the input you can give me!!

I myself am not a college student, however I myself am looking heavily into the program.

I, personally, would try to do it the spring of your sophomore year, provided you can work that out with your college. The only issue with doing it after senior year is that if you aren't accepted, you don't really have another shot. The fall has the most going on, with Halloween and Christmas, so I know that's a favorite.

Regular or advantage is up to you. I, personally, don't have an issue with homesickness so that wouldn't hold me back from doing advantage. I would talk with your family and see if there are potentials for visits and the like.

My DD waited until her senior year to apply and starts in a few weeks. She graduated in May. Her reasoning is she wants Disney as a career, and hopes to stay after the program is over if the opportunity arises. This way, she doesn't have finishing her education hanging over her head.

I myself am not a college student, however I myself am looking heavily into the program.

I, personally, would try to do it the spring of your sophomore year, provided you can work that out with your college. The only issue with doing it after senior year is that if you aren't accepted, you don't really have another shot. The fall has the most going on, with Halloween and Christmas, so I know that's a favorite.

Regular or advantage is up to you. I, personally, don't have an issue with homesickness so that wouldn't hold me back from doing advantage. I would talk with your family and see if there are potentials for visits and the like.

Thank you, these are some good valid points, while the decision is still a tough call.

My DD waited until her senior year to apply and starts in a few weeks. She graduated in May. Her reasoning is she wants Disney as a career, and hopes to stay after the program is over if the opportunity arises. This way, she doesn't have finishing her education hanging over her head.

Thanks! I do want to pursue a Disney career in the future so no matter what I do want to try to do the college program after my senior year! Hope all goes well for your DD! :)

Applying for the program as a senior is risky because if you don't get accepted you're kind of screwed and have to take another semester of at least one course just to apply again. I did the program the Fall of the start of my junior year and will be applying again for the Spring since I graduate in December. That's just something to think about. I was well into my degree and knew my schedule plans. I did end up being a semester behind because of the program and it was 100% worth it for all the friends I made and what I learned. The timing worked really well and I felt comfortable with my routine that I could leave.

I personally didn't have a problem with homesickness (even though I thought I would) so it just depends on what you want. I'd do the regular program first incase you are a little homesick or it's not your thing, you won't be there as long and have less of a chance of self-terming.

I did the Fall program so I would obviously recommend that. You have Halloween Party, Christmas Party, Osborne Lights, Villains night (maybe), Food & Wine, Thanksgiving, etc. But that also means you're working all those holidays and you will be away from home, so there are trade offs. I personally had a lot of fun working holidays.

Applying for the program as a senior is risky because if you don't get accepted you're kind of screwed and have to take another semester of at least one course just to apply again. I did the program the Fall of the start of my junior year and will be applying again for the Spring since I graduate in December. That's just something to think about. I was well into my degree and knew my schedule plans. I did end up being a semester behind because of the program and it was 100% worth it for all the friends I made and what I learned. The timing worked really well and I felt comfortable with my routine that I could leave.

I personally didn't have a problem with homesickness (even though I thought I would) so it just depends on what you want. I'd do the regular program first incase you are a little homesick or it's not your thing, you won't be there as long and have less of a chance of self-terming.

I did the Fall program so I would obviously recommend that. You have Halloween Party, Christmas Party, Osborne Lights, Villains night (maybe), Food & Wine, Thanksgiving, etc. But that also means you're working all those holidays and you will be away from home, so there are trade offs. I personally had a lot of fun working holidays.

Thank you so much! While it would suck to be away on holidays, I really would love to be there during those parties and such. What position were you in when you worked? and how did you decide???

Thank you so much! While it would suck to be away on holidays, I really would love to be there during those parties and such. What position were you in when you worked? and how did you decide???

My top 3 roles were Merchandise, Photopass, and Attractions. I was accepted for merchandise and I worked at Hollywood Studios Backlands (Streets of America, writers, tatooine, etc). I wanted PP because my major is graphic communication, but it's a bit harder to get into and there are less positions. Since I'm an alum and applying again for this spring I'll be pushing Photopass again.

Merchandise hires a lot of CPs and I didn't mind working retail and attractions sounded fun. I'd never done retail but I thought it was fairly easy and I really enjoyed my job and coworkers.

I have been doing a lot of research and note taking for DCP and have been thinking about going to a 2 year college. When should I go during those 2 years? The college I've been thinking about has a Spring term in the second year where you would take an externship, could I use DCP as a externship if I ask the college?

I have been doing a lot of research and note taking for DCP and have been thinking about going to a 2 year college. When should I go during those 2 years? The college I've been thinking about has a Spring term in the second year where you would take an externship, could I use DCP as a externship if I ask the college?

You can ask your college but it will depend on your major and the job you get. My major was graphic comm so the only position they were willing to accept as an internship was Photopass, which I did not get. It depends on your college and what they require from you like supervisor approvals, papers, evals, etc and if Disney can accommodate to all the forms you might need to submit.

My top 3 roles were Merchandise, Photopass, and Attractions. I was accepted for merchandise and I worked at Hollywood Studios Backlands (Streets of America, writers, tatooine, etc). I wanted PP because my major is graphic communication, but it's a bit harder to get into and there are less positions. Since I'm an alum and applying again for this spring I'll be pushing Photopass again.

Merchandise hires a lot of CPs and I didn't mind working retail and attractions sounded fun. I'd never done retail but I thought it was fairly easy and I really enjoyed my job and coworkers.

Those are three roles I'm definitely leaning towards. I was also considering food service, do you know anyone with experience with that?

Those are three roles I'm definitely leaning towards. I was also considering food service, do you know anyone with experience with that?

A friend of mine did Pinnochio Village Haus and loved it, but I don't know much about the role. QSFB is definitely more like a fast food type job so unless you're fine with handling that sort of environment (which I'm definitely not). You can work in the kitchen and at the register in the front, depends on your shift. Full Service is more waiting on people and in the sit down restaurants.

Has anyone ever done a lifeguard role? It sounds super nice and also super boring at the same time, and I would like a more in-depth synopsis!

A friend of mine did Pinnochio Village Haus and loved it, but I don't know much about the role. QSFB is definitely more like a fast food type job so unless you're fine with handling that sort of environment (which I'm definitely not). You can work in the kitchen and at the register in the front, depends on your shift. Full Service is more waiting on people and in the sit down restaurants.

It doesn't seem like it would be a boring just a little chaotic!

I'm thinking about applying now since I am starting my senior year. I want to do it in the spring because the weather is nicer and it isn't EXTREMELY busy like it is during the holidays. Plus I had like 5 friends that did it during spring semester and they loved it! I am scared about where they place me though. I'm sure I will enjoy it anyway, but I am more of a people person, so I would love to help guests out! Also kinda nervous about the phone interview...there is one of those, right?

I'm thinking about applying now since I am starting my senior year. I want to do it in the spring because the weather is nicer and it isn't EXTREMELY busy like it is during the holidays. Plus I had like 5 friends that did it during spring semester and they loved it! I am scared about where they place me though. I'm sure I will enjoy it anyway, but I am more of a people person, so I would love to help guests out! Also kinda nervous about the phone interview...there is one of those, right?

I do know that there are several interviews throughout the whole process. I believe there is an online interview and then a phone interview if all goes well with the first one.

Also a college freshman here, and I am hoping to do the program sometime during my sophomore year. Most likely the Spring Advantage 2017 program if I get accepted! Super excited about it and hoping it will fit into my college schedule so I won't be behind when I return. I've wanted to do the program for such a long time I don't think I could wait until after I graduate college lol

Also a college freshman here, and I am hoping to do the program sometime during my sophomore year. Most likely the Spring Advantage 2017 program if I get accepted! Super excited about it and hoping it will fit into my college schedule so I won't be behind when I return. I've wanted to do the program for such a long time I don't think I could wait until after I graduate college lol

I agree, I don't want to be behind in school but I've decided it really doesn't matter when I graduate as long as I graduate on time for me. If that makes any sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter