Best Secrets in Disneyland

GreenGirl8 said:
Another great one I wasn't sure I wanted to even post here because it is so secret! :)

You can get a GREAT spot for fantasmic showing up about 20 minutes before showtime. Head to the center of the Rivers of America and stand behind the tower that is not lifted off the ground (there are three total, you will see the ones on the left and right in the air and the center one on the ground). No one stands there because they think it will block their view. Well, about ten minutes before showtime, that tower lifts up giving you the perfect view right in the center of the river. Everyone runs to get a spot here after the tower goes up. Just be sure to get there BEFORE it rises and you will be shocked at how great the view is.

Oh why did you have to go and tell everyone!!! That was one of my great secrets. If we don't do the desert buffet, this is where we watch Fantasmic from.

Similar to riding with the Captain on the Mark Twain, sometimes you can get a tender ride on the trains. There are 2 of the engines that have a little seat behind the engineers. You can ask at the Main Street station if they are giving rides that day. They won't do it if they have to refuel or re-water. If you do get a ride, you have to do a whole circle as you can only get on and off at Main Street.

While strolling down Main Street, take a detour on one of the side alleys. Be quiet and listen. You may hear a piano lesson, a tourist waking up, or a dental appointment.

Steen995, the Junior Chefs was located at the end of Main Street in Disneyland (heading toward the hub) and around the corner to the left. We initially asked at the bakery and were directed to the location. When we arrived they told us when they were holding the next one and we arrived 10 minutes early for it.

When you take the back walkway from Frontierland to Fantasyland, just past Big Thunder (better in DL in MHO), there is a little pond on the left where you'll see a cave with a tracks and a mine car. Those are the remnants of an early DL Mine car ride.

When you get off Winnie the Pooh, look to the right, there's statue of a bear that's a salute to Country Bear Jamboree all by himself. I have moments of sadness everytime I pass by him.

Hint, when going on Small World, the line on the right tends to go faster since the left one lets in the wheelchair guests. Even when it looks longer.

I know that Star Tours is the same at WDW, but you might not know this. When the pilot goes the wrong way and ends up in the maintenance bay, the telescope from Adventures From Inner Space is in the bay. I'm not sure which side, because I don't have to remember anymore!

This one's dorky, but I love it anyway. I love the bronze cast of the Abominibal Snowman's foot outside of Matterhorn. Don't know why, but I get a kick everytime we pass by!

I second what was said above about the anniversary Disney movie. Hosted by Steve Martin and you can see a lot of fun stuff from the past!

Something else that's not really a secret per se, but still fun to do is go on many of the more "staple" attractions like the Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and Splash Mountain late at night, since that's when the more die hard fans usually ride. It creates a great feel of kinship (for lack of a better word) to go on a ride like HM where everyone there with you is reciting the Ghost Host's narration word for word. I know this, because I'm one of them :teeth:

Also try to find Maynard working at the Haunted Mansion and get a picture with him if you can. I tried, but missed out last time I went to DL.

Spook50 said:
Also try to find Maynard working at the Haunted Mansion and get a picture with him if you can. I tried, but missed out last time I went to DL.

According to another forum, he doesn't work there anymore.
(dont' know if that is true or not)

Another great tip for viewing Fantasmic, see the SECOND show. Everyone seems to watch the first show because they have an already perfect seat for the fireworks, but then they all leave, leaving front row seats for Fantasmic. We've done it several time since the 50th started and had no problem, even in June when it was packed!

I have also used the tip on the light tower to watch Fantasmic. I heard this the first time from a CM. Last time I was there in May though, it was a new system and there was plenty of space to sit down that was all roped off to wait. It was fun, made friends with the people sitting on both sides of us.

Tip for the new fireworks show viewing....also from a cast member... and posted it once after the trip in May. After the parade, go to the hub. Looking at the castle go to the center of the hub. Follow the path that goes to the left (you know how there is a cross of paths through the center of the hub?). When you get to the hub street again look down into the street. Look for little round "plugs" or holes that the rope stakes will be placed in. Then follow that path about 1/3 of the way to the other side of the hub street where the sidewalk is and the entrance to Frontierland. Stand on the hub street, just behind where those holes are. You will feel weird and silly standing in the middle of the street for no good reason, but as long as you are not blocking anyone its all good. Then when they put up the ropes, you are in a front row spot! There will be a pathway for walkers in front of you instead of more people, giving you a better view. It is also away from blocking trees and far enough away to get a clear picture. While you dont have to be there as early as you do for one of the bench seats or the people that sit on the curb, you will have a better view than any of them and more time to spend doing stuff at the park! Just make sure that when I am back in August that you make room for me too.... ;)

I guess by best "secret" tip is to find a cast member in the area and ask them where to stand, for any event. If they dont have any advice (but they really should, they live it every night!) then ask another one.

1) I would say the best little surprises to look for, in addition to all the great things our other members have posted, are the HIDDEN MICKEYS. They are all over the place, on rides, in lines, in restuarants, in the hotels, all over. That alone can keep you busy all day long. If you want to me adventurous and try to find the HM's on your own, it makes you feel more accomplished when you do find one, but there is also a thin, inexpensive book that will tell you where all the 'confirmed' HM's are - but there are plenty of HM"s that are to be discovered that are NOT confirmed, because they want us to have the fun of finding them.

2) Also, go to City Hall and get a free print out of a list of ALL the pressed penny machines throughout both parks and all three hotels and Downtown Disney as well. It will tell you who is on each penny so you know if you want to bother with it or not, but it can be fun for the little ones (or big kids!) to search the entire resort tryign to find the penny machines.

3) All the Character Buffet restaurants - Goofy's, Storytellers, etc - usually will give you free buttons from that restaurant.

4) If you have a birthday in your group, get the free Birthday button at City Hall and wear it around the parks and you will get lots of greetings and also get free stuff!

5) If you eat at Rain Forest Cafe, order the non-alcoholic Rain Forest Ricky drink, which is made up of many different fruit juices and is very tasty, BUT you also get to keep the souvenir glass in which it is served!

6) The Nemo sub ride makes a reference at the very end to the old version of the Sub when the Captain says something about mermaids and a sea monster.

7) ToonTown is full of all kinds of surprises. Step on all the manholes and open all the mailboxes. Everything is interactive.

Oh, and how could I forget -

8) When you get off the of the Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters ride in Tomorrowland (which I hear is slightly better than the one in WDW), stop at the kiosks in the exit queue, find your photo that is taken of you on the ride, and email it to yourself FOR FREE.

9) Also, when you ae entering Fantasyland from the Main Street hub, and you pass under the castle, look down to find a gold stake in the ground that was driven into the ground by Walt Disney himself!

FINALLY, there's a bent pole in the queue for Indiana Jones. It has a sign nearby warning "Do Not Touch" or "Pull" or some sort of warning. Pull on it and you'll hear some cool sound effects.

Last time I was there it was gone!
But that was sometime last year, I hear the put it back though.

9) Also, when you ae entering Fantasyland from the Main Street hub, and you pass under the castle, look down to find a gold stake in the ground that was driven into the ground by Walt Disney himself!

I think that stake is supposed to be the original centre of Disneyland.

Last time I was there it was gone!
But that was sometime last year, I hear the put it back though.

Can anyone confirm that this is back? They can't take this away! :scared1:

This one's dorky, but I love it anyway. I love the bronze cast of the Abominibal Snowman's foot outside of Matterhorn. Don't know why, but I get a kick everytime we pass by!

I have no idea how I managed to miss this! Now I have something to hunt for next time we go! :)

I'm going Feb 15-19 and I am sooooooo excited. I've only been once in the last 15 years, even though I used to go ever other year when I was a child. Last time I went my daughter was 2 and this time she is 4 and will be able to go on the bigger rides. I really appreciate all the tips because I never noticed a lot of this stuff. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get my 4 yr old on Space Mountain? I wouldn't go on til I was 8!!!

Take time to visit the Disney Gallery above Pirates of the Caribbean in New Orleans Square. It's a lovely spot with interesting things to see, along with a restful and QUIET little courtyard to explore.

FINALLY, there's a bent pole in the queue for Indiana Jones. It has a sign nearby warning "Do Not Touch" or "Pull" or some sort of warning. Pull on it and you'll hear some cool sound effects.

The Disney Gallery is no longer there...the new Disney apartment is being build there. The Gallery is moved to Main Street.

And unfortunately,in Indy the "cool" effects in the long hallway are not working anymore...BUT when you when you reach the "round" room before the projection room, there is a large chest with a rope. Pull the rope...that effect worked last week when we were on Indy. We tried the others in the long hallway...haven't worked in awhile.

A tip if you are having pictures taken by the Photopass folks...If you want a castle picture without the crowds behind you, there should be a second photographer to the right of the castle on the side path. We had some great anniversary pics taken there. Look during the day, they were there yesterday at 4pm, but when we were walking through the hub at 6, there was only the photographer in front of the castle.

I will be making my first trip to dl in 8 years in feb... need more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter